• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

I was reading that when the batteries are low (in the controller) it shuts off the rumble to conserve battery life. Have you tried new batteries?

You know what would be good? A goddamn battery indicator so you don't have to guess what the issue might be...

I know it's been said countless times, but it really is just baffling how MS didn't think to add one.

So are you guys going digital on the One? I would really like too but currently I don't think we'll see any incentives to besides that you can voice swap between games.

I wish you could opt in for the online check so you can take advantage of this. But the sales you can sometimes get with the physical copies is enough for me to not go digital.

Digital is pretty cheap from what i heard you can buy US live points set your xbox one on US input the US live code convert to dollars and buy the game digitally. Download the game and set the Xbox one back to Europe when playing.

But what im waiting for is shop that will sell physical cards with a game cd key on it.
Hoping they will compete with the marketplace and out price Microsoft so i can have multiple sources to get an digital copy from.

So are you guys going digital on the One? I would really like too but currently I don't think we'll see any incentives to besides that you can voice swap between games.

I wish you could opt in for the online check so you can take advantage of this. But the sales you can sometimes get with the physical copies is enough for me to not go digital.

All digital here. Besides the obvious convenience of no disc swapping or noise, the digital rights to games on your designated 'home' console gives anyone on that system access to online and all digital games/content. As well, if you're in the position to take advantage, you can claim one other person's console as your home and they can do the same for yours, effectively sharing digital purchases between each other so long as you both have current Gold subscriptions. I now do this with my brother and his system so that we split the digital purchases and cost and still have full benefits of playing alone, online, and even together using the one purchase. Should help significantly blunt the cost of going next-gen and digital.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
After much arguing with Amazon and the delivery company I got my console, loving the XB1 so for however I have noticed some graphic / texture issues on BF4. Sometimes when I spawn in multiplayer parts of the ground and orther areas will be black patches, if I look away from the affected area then back everything it fine. It's not a major issue but I did see someone earlier in the thread meantion that they had a faulty GPU (though their issue was across all their games, mine is only BF4). Anyone else seeing this this? Also BF4 sometimes just dumps me back to the home screen

Gotta say I'm surprised with the kinect and how the automatic sign on, my son and I have been trying to confuse it (simple pleasures and all that).

All digital here. Besides the obvious convenience of no disc swapping or noise, the digital rights to games on your designated 'home' console gives anyone on that system access to online and all digital games/content. As well, if you're in the position to take advantage, you can claim one other person's console as your home and they can do the same for yours, effectively sharing digital purchases between each other so long as you both have current Gold subscriptions. I now do this with my brother and his system so that we split the digital purchases and cost and still have full benefits of playing alone, online, and even together using the one purchase. Should help significantly blunt the cost of going next-gen and digital.

Can't you get banned for sharing content like that? Some were banned for sharing season passes in the past...

Can't you get banned for sharing content like that? Some were banned for sharing season passes in the past...

That's how it work on 360, I did the same thing with my kid Xbox and mine. I bought contents on his so he can use it and vice versa. I don't see why they would ban you where you purchase your content. On Xbox One it's even easier as you can assign home console.

growndhog

Neo Member
I suggest doing a hard reboot of the system (full shutdown, not suspend). A quick search indicated a problem in Protected Streams. There might be something funky going on as the Xbox is trying to authenticate the process for running protected content. Searches indicated that rebooting their surfaces worked for them--so I suggest the same.

EDIT: Anyone else checked out Powerstar Golf? It's scratched the itch for a Hot Shots Golf equivalent. And its nice to sit there and play a round or two while listening to a Xmusic radio station.

Downloaded Powestar Gold on day one, love it, it's cartoony and all, but still enjoy it, fun game to waste away some time.

Nope. It's part of the system, just like X360, though that was on a per-purchase basis as the game was given both a license to user account who purchased it as well as the first console it was downloaded to (and everyone on that system could use the digital games freely, though without conferring online privilege as X1 does). You can change the console you designate as home any time you like, though you have to do it on the console itself and not via website. It's legit and works so long as anyone doing it has current subscription to Gold as they need to log into Live on any unit that isn't their home to access their digital purchases.

golem

Nope. It's part of the system, just like X360, though that was on a per-purchase basis as the game was given both a license to user account who purchased it as well as the first console it was downloaded to (and everyone on that system could use the digital games freely, though without conferring online privilege as X1 does). You can change the console you designate as home any time you like, though you have to do it on the console itself and not via website. It's legit and works so long as anyone doing it has current subscription to Gold as they need to log into Live on any unit that isn't their home to access their digital purchases.

Well damn, I'm doing it wrong.

Are there any game demos in the store? Forza for example. I can't see them for the life of me, maybe I'm just being daft.

Only two that I know of for FIFA 14 and NBA Live 14. No dedicated demos listing is weird, so I hope that MS sorts out the organization of tiles in the OS and store sooner rather than later.

Couldn´t find these either. Where are they hidden? Or only available in some regions?

I don't remember where I first saw them and, when going back to the store just now, I did not see them anywhere upfront nor when I clicked on the FIFA 14 tile on the first scrolling page at the store. I did do a voice search and found both immediately, though.

ekim

Couldn´t find these either. Where are they hidden? Or only available in some regions?

In one of the redundant game store sections.

btw: manually search the store (without voice) for 'demo' - it brings me to a genre overview i couldnt find anywhere else. This really needs an overhaul.

Hammer24

Banned
I don't remember where I first saw them and, when going back to the store just now, I did not see them anywhere upfront nor when I clicked on the FIFA 14 tile on the first scrolling page at the store. I did do a voice search and found both immediately, though.

In one of the redundant game store sections.

btw: manually search the store (without voice) for 'demo' - it brings me to a genre overview i couldnt find anywhere else. This really needs an overhaul.

"XBOX, Bing, Demo"? ...still trying out all voice commands.

level44

I have to ask.

If you shout "Xbox off" or any other kind command in a multiplayer match does it pick up the command on the other people's xbones? If so, that is troll heaven.

"XBOX, Bing, Demo"? ...still trying out all voice commands.
"XBOX, Bing FIFA 14 demo"
"XBOX, Bing NBA Live (14) demo"

Alternatively, you can just say, "XBOX, Bing" and you'll be taken to the dedicated voice search screen where you don't have to include the first clause for addressing the system by its name. From there, you can then just say what you're looking for simply.

For text search, I entered, "nba live demo" and "fifa 14 demo", and found both immediately. It's possible that these are regional offerings currently restricted to NA/US gamers, I guess.

Thrax

Banned
Kinect adjustment issue.

So my Kinect won't tilt any lower but I am one dot below recommended Green setting.

The bottom part of the main unit is almost touching the base of the Kinect, so it won't tilt any lower.

Any suggestions?

frey

Anyone having trouble with the "Xbox, record that" voice command?

Half the time it doesn't work for me. While the time it does work it can record anywhere from 6 seconds to its limit (30, I think).

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
So I was all set to buy a XB1 here in Spain last night then noticed that the language for Kinect would only be in Spanish with no English available.

I also noticed the games had supported language for Spanish with no English being mentioned. Wasn't going to risk buying them. I've decided not to buy one now until 2014 when I return to England.

Going to be a long few months. :(

Kinect adjustment issue.

So my Kinect won't tilt any lower but I am one dot below recommended Green setting.

The bottom part of the main unit is almost touching the base of the Kinect, so it won't tilt any lower.

Any suggestions?

Try tilting upward from a lower position rather than from up high.

Hammer24

Banned
So I was all set to buy a XB1 here in Spain last night then noticed that the language for Kinect would only be in Spanish with no English available.

I also noticed the games had supported language for Spanish with no English being mentioned. Wasn't going to risk buying them. I've decided not to buy one now until 2014 when I return to England.

Going to be a long few months. :(

I don´t understand? The console has the language you choose upon setup. You could go with en_UK f.i. Same for the games, if you had choosen en_UK they´d automatically be in English. Some, like f.i. AC4 let you choose the language ingame menu.

IRQ

Banned
I have to ask.

If you shout "Xbox off" or any other kind command in a multiplayer match does it pick up the command on the other people's xbones? If so, that is troll heaven.

LOL. Yes it actually does :D

My brothers messed with me the other day :D

Love the system. Its just as Ekim said, it need some overhaul to some of the categories.

I love how XBOX signs me inn whenever I walk into the room while my brother plays with hes own profile. WELCOME:::: :D

And the way it signs me when I take the controller from my brother while we play B4.

Can't imagine how it will improve in the coming years, Look at 360 then and now :D

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I don´t understand? The console has the language you choose upon setup. You could go with en_UK f.i. Same for the games, if you had choosen en_UK they´d automatically be in English. Some, like f.i. AC4 let you choose the language ingame menu.

I've been told that the consoles only have the local language when it comes to Kinect. So if I bought a Spanish XB1 the Kinect would only respond to Spanish commands.

http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-...s?icid=furl_xboxone-kinect-speech-recognition

Most of the X360 games I have bought in Spain do have English but I have had a few with only Spanish/Portuguese. I would have thought all games would have multiple languages including English since we are now on Bluray so there is more space.

Really I need someone on GAF form Spain with an XB1 to verify things for me. I asked in the shops and they couldn't help.

Hammer24

Banned
I've been told that the consoles only have the local language when it comes to Kinect. So if I bought a Spanish XB1 the Kinect would only respond to Spanish commands.

This is definitely wrong! Spoke to my X1 in several languages already. :)

Most of the X360 games I have bought in Spain do have English but I have had a few with only Spanish/Portuguese. I would have thought all games would have multiple languages including English since we are now on Bluray so there is more space.

Really I need someone on GAF form Spain with an XB1 to verify things for me. I asked in the shops and they couldn't help.

Even the game I bought digitally from the US marketplace had German language, I can´t imagine they left English out anywhere, with BR and all.

Ambient80

LOL. Yes it actually does :D

My brothers messed with me the other day :D

Love the system. Its just as Ekim said, it need some overhaul to some of the categories.

I love how XBOX signs me inn whenever I walk into the room while my brother plays with hes own profile. WELCOME:::: :D

And the way it signs me when I take the controller from my brother while we play B4.

Can't imagine how it will improve in the coming years, Look at 360 then and now :D

I could have sworn I remembered hearing that Kinect 2 had voice recognition so this was prevented, but I see it nowhere, now. Weird.

IRQ

Banned
I could have sworn I remembered hearing that Kinect 2 had voice recognition so this was prevented, but I see it nowhere, now. Weird.

I think It does. Am not 100% sure.

Maybe because we both were logged in at the same time? So it wont ignore him :D

The kinect is actually sitting on the base of the 65" flat screen which is about 2ft off the floor a TV stand. So it's fairly low,

In that case, you could try from a higher point and recalibrate, but I don't think you have to perfectly match the recommend tilt angle if it works otherwise. Are you just worried that not matching the white and green dots will adversely affect recognition or is it that it isn't actually operating as well as it could? If it works now, I wouldn't worry about matching perfectly.

Ambient80

I think It does. Am not 100% sure.

Maybe because we both were logged in at the same time? So it wont ignore him :D

Well I say that not only due to your case, but also because I was the only one logged into my machine and my friend was able to give commands. Maybe this is something that will be patched in later, or it takes a while to learn your voice? Not sure. It would be nice to have though!! :)

http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-...s?icid=furl_xboxone-kinect-speech-recognition

I'm a spaniard,

You can set the language you want to on your XB1, I set mine to spanish (Spain). XB1's Kinect works with spanish voice commands, but you can't turn it on though you can turn it off (Xbox, apagar). I installed FIFA 14 and Dead Rising 3, both in spanish language locale by default, and Kinect recognizes perfectly spanish voice commands.

Regarding what languages are included in the game dics, I will check it later when I get home. If you need anything just pm me.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
This is definitely wrong! Spoke to my X1 in several languages already. :)

Even the game I bought digitally from the US marketplace had German language, I can´t imagine they left English out anywhere, with BR and all.

Ah man I don't know what to do now. My local shop has the Day One edition reserved for me still. I wouldn't buy any games now since I just ordered them in the UK for when I arrive home in the New Year.

Sadly I couldn't go digital since the internet is so crap it would take days to download 1 game.

Kalm

Guys, is there a way to mute all incoming XBL chat across the board? Or at least specifically in KI Ranked matches?

My nephews will be here later today and are looking forward to trying KI online. Based on the amount of times I've been called a "N***** Bitch" in the last two days, this seems like a problem?

Also, it just makes me super uncomfortable to listen to people that don't know they're being recorded. I wouldn't mind disabling it all together.

Hammer24

Banned
I don't have a pending friend request from you. :eek:

Btw: if someone wants to add me, my Gamertag is "mikerjena"

My friends page says: mikerjena, pending :( *forever-alone*

Ah man I don't know what to do now. My local shop has the Day One edition reserved for me still. I wouldn't buy any games now since I just ordered them in the UK for when I arrive home in the New Year.

Sadly I couldn't go digital since the internet is so crap it would take days to download 1 game.

I personally would say: go for it. If you have the chance to score a Day1, take. Then take your time to set everything up, play around with the apps and other small stuff. Will give you a headstart for when you get your games. :)

Guys, is there a way to mute all incoming XBL chat across the board? Or at least specifically in KI Ranked matches?

My nephews will be here later today and are looking forward to trying KI online. Based on the amount of times I've been called a "N***** Bitch" in the last two days, this seems like a problem?

Also, it just makes me super uncomfortable to listen to people that don't know they're being recorded. I wouldn't mind disabling it all together.

Settings>Privacy and Online Safety

You can choose from defaults and customize all settings, including blocking all voice/video comms and whatever else you want to do. It's on a per account basis, so you can make them sub-accounts with your preferred settings or simply change your main account's settings for the duration of their visit.

Ecto311

Any 3rd or 1st party ways to share your achievements to Facebook or twitter? I was using raptr but it doesn't do the One achievements and I really need to passively let the world know I am badass at some games.

Not sure if anyone can answer this - I have Gold, which I know can be "shared" on my Home Console. But I also have Xbox Music - does this fall under the same umbrella? I presume Netflix etc accounts are also "shared" across the console?

Yea, don't do it like that. The TV will only pass through stereo so you are losing the majority of your sound output. Just go optical to your receiver if necessary.

has that ever worked for you on a previous system? Most TV's usually don't convert HDMI surround audio to optical.

Probably better to go directly from your Xbox to your receiver with an optical cable instead

Appreciate it guys. Ive always had nothing but great experiences with it, but i guess its time to switch. I use to have it connected through optical out my xbox, but my reciever only has two optical ports.

Maybe i should just run all my hdmi cables through my receiver and call it. I just worry its gonna add more input lag to my video games. Its a pretty new receiver, so maybe it wont?

Kalm

Settings>Privacy and Online Safety

You can choose from defaults and customize all settings, including blocking all voice/video comms and whatever else you want to do. It's on a per account basis, so you can make them sub-accounts with your preferred settings or simply change your main account's settings for the duration of their visit.

Brilliant, thanks. :)

Top Bottom