• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

hadareud

The Translator
Not sure if anyone can answer this - I have Gold, which I know can be "shared" on my Home Console. But I also have Xbox Music - does this fall under the same umbrella? I presume Netflix etc accounts are also "shared" across the console?

Netflix definitely is shared, I'm pretty sure music is too. Haven't tried that out yet though.

BraXzy

If this is a feature let me know but I haven't found it yet.

I'd like the xbox to track your game time on games like Steam does, so you can browse your games and it says time played. It's nice being able to see how much time you've spent trying to beat a game or just how much time you've spent in multi.

Gorki247

So are you guys going digital on the One? I would really like too but currently I don't think we'll see any incentives to besides that you can voice swap between games.

I wish you could opt in for the online check so you can take advantage of this. But the sales you can sometimes get with the physical copies is enough for me to not go digital.

All digital, unless there is some fancy collector's edition that I really like. I also wish we could get the check-in as an option; having both discs and digital would be great (saying that, my previous generation games take up enough space as it is).

Hammer24

Banned

I'd like the xbox to track your game time on games like Steam does, so you can browse your games and it says time played. It's nice being able to see how much time you've spent trying to beat a game or just how much time you've spent in multi.

Hmm, not sure, but I thought I saw something like this on the SmartGlass app?

Would love to go all digital but to hell with paying 50 quid for everything, unfortunately it looks you can't buy download codes from normal retail outlets so I'm kinda stuck :/

Kajiba

Hmm, not sure, but I thought I saw something like this on the SmartGlass app?

Yep, the smartglass app. Click achievements and pick the game you want. It shows hours and how many kills for me on Ryse and Dead Rising 3.

When i get home, i'll be switching to US account and start downloading titles for £37 :D

Wait, what?

I'm in the UK - Can I really go set my region to US, download games for cheap and NOT get in trouble?! I've had my Gold account for 11 years...I do not want to lose it. My Gamertag is important to me...

LNBL

Wait, what?

I'm in the UK - Can I really go set my region to US, download games for cheap and NOT get in trouble?! I've had my Gold account for 11 years...I do not want to lose it. My Gamertag is important to me...

Yes, that is what I have been reading as well. You can freely switch marketplace etc, but you need to use local currency. So for the US you would need a CC with a american adres OR just buy US microsoft points.

LNBL

A dutch website looked into the prices of Dead Rising 3 on the marketplaces:
European store: €65
UK store: €54
USA store: €45

KillGore

Please tell me I'm not the only one having problems turning on the Xbox on one try. It usually takes around 3 tries before the Xbox actually turns on.

theytookourjobz

Really having trouble deciding between PS4 and XB1. I have a 720p 50" Panasonic plasma that I don't plan on upgrading and I have generally preferred my 360 to my PS3 in the past. Anyone have experience with multiplats on both new systems? How are BF, COD, and NBA2k vs the PS4?

Cushen

Neo Member
Please tell me I'm not the only one having problems turning on the Xbox on one try. It usually takes around 3 tries before the Xbox actually turns on.

It's the only voice command I'm consistently having issues with! Everything else works flawlessly probably 95% of the time.

Hammer24

Banned

No, you´re not the only one. :)
If it really bothers you, repeat the Kinect calibration, and crank your system as load as you can. Afterwards it´ll hear you whisper.

ParityBit

If it really bothers you, repeat the Kinect calibration, and crank your system as load as you can. Afterwards it´ll hear you whisper.

I did this and now I think I am at 99% Kinect success rate. I did have to shove my wife and newborn into the other side of the house while I did it!

KillGore

It's the only voice command I'm consistently having issues with! Everything else works flawlessly probably 95% of the time.

Usually 2-3 times for me as well. I might try recalibrating my Kinect this week.

I'm just happy to know my kinect isn't busted.

Thanks guys, and thanks for the suggestion, Hammer.

I just wish the digital games would be like $45-$50. That would really push the incentive to go digital. Amazon has Dead Rising 3 for $50 but I'm not sure if I want the disc or not. Ugh. The only game I have now is BF4 on disc. Hopefully we'll see good pricing on digital games this gen from Microsoft.

dandoolan

My Day One edition is finally free from Amazon UK limbo. Although it was held up due to my own incompetence. The payment kept failing and I couldn't work out why, turns out they had my old debit card. Sorted now and Xbox One dispatched. Should have it by Thursday at the latest.

So, which launch game do people most recommend?

Hammer24

Banned
I've been leaning towards DR3. I loved the first two and this one seems insane. But I can't ignore that it's most likely not the most beautiful game to test the new hardware with.

You need both anyway. What the one is lacking in the gameplay department, the other is lacking in IQ/graphic fidelity. And vice versa.
So basically: you wanna show off your shiny new system and see what Gen8 is going to be all about? Get Ryse. You want a game to poor countless hours into until the next wave of software arrives? Get DR3.

dandoolan

You need both anyway. What the one is lacking in the gameplay department, the other is lacking in IQ/graphic fidelity. And vice versa.
So basically: you wanna show off your shiny new system and see what Gen8 is going to be all about? Get Ryse. You want a game to poor countless hours into until the next wave of software arrives? Get DR3.

I think that settles it for me then. Based on that description I'd be crazy to choose Ryse over DR3. My tastes have always favoured gameplay over visuals.

Phreaker

LOVING my Xbox One, but still have a couple issues that make each session not as frustration free as it should be:

1. Party Chat - Why do I often get a message about not being able to start party chat when I try turning it on? It's me and one friend. 1/2 the time we can't get party chat working, one of us wont be able to enable it. An hour later we try again and it works fine?!

2. Controller disconnections, doing things I did not press - I have had the controller disconnect (and reconnect right away) several times during Forza and Dead Rising over the last few days. I have also had Dead Rising bring up the pause screen as I am hitting enemies, more than once.

Best overlooked feature is switching between applications. I was playing AC4 last night and my wife wanted to watch TV so "watch TV" after she went to bed... "Go Home" and selected AC4 and BAM! Was right were I left off, no load or menus. It was a feel good moment! :)

I just wish the digital games would be like $45-$50. That would really push the incentive to go digital. Amazon has Dead Rising 3 for $50 but I'm not sure if I want the disc or not. Ugh. The only game I have now is BF4 on disc. Hopefully we'll see good pricing on digital games this gen from Microsoft.

That's what was always fascinating about the previous DRM debates. Under the previous plans, that Dead Rising 3 for $50 at Amazon would've been a "digital" game, and would play a part in adding the "digital game pricing competition from multiple retailers on a closed platform" that everyone supposedly wants.

Obviously, there are other restrictions that come along with that that were worth debating (so I'm not saying everything was 100% cool), but it was always weird when people were like "Microsoft will make every game $100! No competition!", as if Amazon would be completely incapable of having their own sales all of a sudden.

That said, let's hope Amazon and other retailers get into the process of selling download codes/keys for Xbox One games, like what seems to be happening for PS4 games.

CozMick

Banned
For anyone crazy enough to want an xbone before xmas at an extortionate price, CEX are offering the day one edition w/ fifa 14 (pre owned) for FIVE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY FIVE POUNDS!!!!!

Question for all you guys playing COD/BF4 or another online game. What happens when you swap applications while in a multiplayer match or a lobby? For example, you switch over to the last 5 minutes of a TV show and then go back to the game. Are you still in the match/lobby, or are you booted to the main menu?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
For anyone crazy enough to want an xbone before xmas at an extortionate price, CEX are offering the day one edition w/ fifa 14 (pre owned) for FIVE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY FIVE POUNDS!!!!!

I've seen several on eBay for got £650-700.

What are some other good famous people on Xbox Live to follow? These are the people in following now. Right now I'm following the Major Nelson podcast crew and some other Xbox execs. Its awesome being in the race in Forza 5 and get passed by Larry or Marc.

Major Nelson
Albert
notwen
e
sleepfree
Lollip0p

Amazon UK got some stock in an hour ago, I got the Day One Edition with Forza 5 and it's arriving tomorrow. Hype!

ipfuFXjpbObvj.png

Chitown B

What are some other good famous people on Xbox Live to follow? These are the people in following now. Right now I'm following the Major Nelson podcast crew and some other Xbox execs. Its awesome being in the race in Forza 5 and get passed by Larry or Marc.

Major Nelson
notwen
e

I follow those - I beat e a lot in Forza. :)

That's what was always fascinating about the previous DRM debates. Under the previous plans, that Dead Rising 3 for $50 at Amazon would've been a "digital" game, and would play a part in adding the "digital game pricing competition from multiple retailers on a closed platform" that everyone supposedly wants.

Obviously, there are other restrictions that come along with that that were worth debating (so I'm not saying everything was 100% cool), but it was always weird when people were like "Microsoft will make every game $100! No competition!", as if Amazon would be completely incapable of having their own sales all of a sudden.

That said, let's hope Amazon and other retailers get into the process of selling download codes/keys for Xbox One games, like what seems to be happening for PS4 games.

I hope so too. I really looked forward to being to get digital games from anywhere back when that was still the plan. Family sharing would've been nice too. Unfortunately Microsoft fucked it up for everyone by having both bad messaging and other things that for a lot of people (excluding me) were very negative. Online-check ins and limited game transfers come to mind.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So are you guys going digital on the One? I would really like too but currently I don't think we'll see any incentives to besides that you can voice swap between games.

I wish you could opt in for the online check so you can take advantage of this. But the sales you can sometimes get with the physical copies is enough for me to not go digital.

Going all digital and so far I'm extremely happy with the decision. So far I have purchased Forza, KI and Ryse and call it ADD but it's awesome to race a few laps in Forza and then without exiting the game I can say "Xbox go to Killer Instinct" and it'll just go straight into it. My days of putting in discs are over, and this is why I was on board even during the DRM days. As for price differences I never bought used out of principle and never really traded in games either and even though I miss out on sales of new games for me convenience beats price. Plus I'm sure there will be digital sales a la Steam as well, MS had some great digital sales for the 360 in the past year or so.

derFeef

Best overlooked feature is switching between applications. I was playing AC4 last night and my wife wanted to watch TV so "watch TV" after she went to bed... "Go Home" and selected AC4 and BAM! Was right were I left off, no load or menus. It was a feel good moment! :)

You could have just said "Go to Assasins Creed 4" :)

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is there a way to use Xbox music in the background? I want to listen to music whilst I play Fifa but I do not want it snapped on the screen at the same time. But when I unsnap it stops playing :(

This is the only issue I have with the console. I absolutely love all the features.

Also how much is Dead Rising 3 in the american store?

Top Bottom