• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

So basically kinect has improved most people experience with features and games without having to be the main focus of the game from what I can tell. Glad that is the case. Going to have a fun time when I'm able to get an xbox one.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Has anyone found any good must-have apps? Currently "pinning" Skype, YT, Hulu, and Netflix.

Also how do you pin from the console? I can actually do it on Smartglass but didn't see how to do it on console. Think I need to sit through some walkthrough videos or something instead of just playing Dead Rising. :D

Has anyone found any good must-have apps? Currently "pinning" Skype, YT, Hulu, and Netflix.

Also how do you pin from the console? I can actually do it on Smartglass but didn't see how to do it on console. Think I need to sit through some walkthrough videos or something instead of just playing Dead Rising. :D

Press Menu on an app/game in "my games and apps" and a list pops up including "pin to home" plus "Show all add-ons" the size of the app etc.

If you press Menu on items pinned it doesn't say the size but does under My games and apps, bit strange really.

Nugg

Hey, dumb question. What's the equivalent of "Xbox, Record That" but with the controller, so I don't wake up everyone if I want to record something?

Alcander

Easiest way is to just say it "xbox pin <app name>"

I can confirm that a free game is made available for the disc grinding issue. They offered me a free download of Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, or Zoo Tycoon. I received the download code about 10 minutes after my service request order was submitted.

Wow, I submitted my support request for the grinding issue last night around midnight and haven't received anything regarding a free game. Also, did anyone tell you how long it would take to get the replacement unit? I did the advance replacement. Also, the lady on the phone basically offered no support other than to walk me through filling out a support request on the web. Should I have raised more of a stink on the phone?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Thanks! I totally forgot about the menu button somehow. All these new-named buttons on the new consoles are throwing me. :p

Oozer3993

After much arguing with Amazon and the delivery company I got my console, loving the XB1 so for however I have noticed some graphic / texture issues on BF4. Sometimes when I spawn in multiplayer parts of the ground and orther areas will be black patches, if I look away from the affected area then back everything it fine. It's not a major issue but I did see someone earlier in the thread meantion that they had a faulty GPU (though their issue was across all their games, mine is only BF4). Anyone else seeing this this? Also BF4 sometimes just dumps me back to the home screen

Gotta say I'm surprised with the kinect and how the automatic sign on, my son and I have been trying to confuse it (simple pleasures and all that).

I haven't had the texture issue in BF4. Crashing back to the home screen is a known, common problem though.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Anyone else have issues with Netflix not streaming in HD? I'm on a 60Mb connection so that's not the issue and it works fine on PC.

oVerde

Banned
Mother texted me in: "A package delivered for you"
So texted back: "is it huge?"
got in response: "40x30x15 aprox."

SO, do I right leave my office running like an antelope to home or do I just leave it now, and run like an antelope home?

Atsumi

I tried Xbox Fitness for the first time last night, and really enjoyed it.

It seemed the stacking up against other people in your age group wasn't on the screen long enough. Any way to bring that back up and compare?

Admittedly, I didn't look for it long because the boyfriend was begging for a turn.

bozer

Please tell me I'm not the only one having problems turning on the Xbox on one try. It usually takes around 3 tries before the Xbox actually turns on.

I too am having this problem. It's really weird. I'm wondering if you need to have the Kinect camera detect your face in order for this to work? This is the only one I'm having trouble with.

besada

Banned
Every now and then Hulu acts up with Kinect. It starts reading haha for no reason and has even skipped around an episode.

YouTube seems to have a serious issue with this for me. Never happens anywhere but in the YouTube app, where it happens about every ten minutes. It just suddenly starts listening and puts that stupid microphone over the top of the video I'm watching.

Sydle

Wow, I submitted my support request for the grinding issue last night around midnight and haven't received anything regarding a free game. Also, did anyone tell you how long it would take to get the replacement unit? I did the advance replacement. Also, the lady on the phone basically offered no support other than to walk me through filling out a support request on the web. Should I have raised more of a stink on the phone?

The support rep emailed me a game token after I provided her with the service order number, so she could verify I submitted it.

The rep explained that it takes 3-5 business days to receive my new Xbox and that I have to return the broken one within 14 days from receiving the new one.

I was nice and understanding the whole time, and everything got resolved, so I don't think "raising a stink" is necessary here.

For those of you who have the X1, where do you see Microsoft taking it over the next couple of years? Obviously the evolution of the Xbox 360 was quite significant in terms of media features, the updated dashboards, etc. I'm really curious as to what the evolution of this machine will look like in 2-3 years.

For those of you who have the X1, where do you see Microsoft taking it over the next couple of years? Obviously the evolution of the Xbox 360 was quite significant in terms of media features, the updated dashboards, etc. I'm really curious as to what the evolution of this machine will look like in 2-3 years.

I kind of hope that they include cable card support so I can get rid of my cable box and actually use my xbox as a DVR.

So the "Xbox On" command works like a charm but when I say Xbox Off it doesn't turn off my TV only my xbox anyone else having this issue or know of a fix?

EvB

Is there a list of all the commands that Kinect recognizes?

Here ya go

tumblr_mwp6psDDl61sh19qjo1_1280.png

ahartig

Hey, dumb question. What's the equivalent of "Xbox, Record That" but with the controller, so I don't wake up everyone if I want to record something?

I am wondering the same thing, late night gaming with wife and baby in other room is not conducive for Kinect talking.

Alcander

So the "Xbox On" command works like a charm but when I say Xbox Off it doesn't turn off my TV only my xbox anyone else having this issue or know of a fix?

I think this is done on purpose as it can't predict you are done with the TV. If can however predict that you want to use the TV when you turn on your xbox. In any case mine doesn't turn off the tv either.

hawk2025

Does anyone else have slighlty blurryness on the UI? It's the most noticeable on the upper-left gamer picture.

Also, what happened to "xbox, record that" working in real time like in the demo? For me, it pauses the game to wait for the voice command until I say "record that". Any wau to change this?

Finally, "xboXbox go home" doesn't seem to work when using voice commands within an app -- do we really have to stop listening, then say xbox again, then say go home?

Bsigg12

Make sure you have it set to turn your TV off. I forget where its at in the settings menu but there is a box that by default is off, so check it on that you want the TV to be shut off when you say Xbox Turn Off.

Gotta say, after spending some time with all 3 of the exclusive launch games (Forza 5, Ryse and Dead Rising 3) I’m quite impressed overall. All of them are good if not great games. Well done MS!

All in all, as an owner of both the PS4 and One, I’m a pretty pleased gamer this holiday season. Both systems have their unique strengths and are offering something unique. In the long run, I think the gap will only widen over time. Good for us consumers – we all win! [/optimistic viewpoint]

ahartig

Gotta say, after spending some time with all 3 of the exclusive launch games (Forza 5, Ryse and Dead Rising 3) I’m quite impressed overall. All of them are good if not great games. Well done MS!
[/optimistic viewpoint]

I agree, I only have Ryse and DR3, but they are both incredibly fun and I do not regret giving up GTA5 for them....although I cannot wait until a next gen GTA5 is released.

GavinGT

Banned
There ought to be separate voice commands for turning on your TV and receiver. The fact that it merely toggles the power button regardless of whether it's on or off makes it a hassle for me more often than not.

Top Bottom