• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Klocker

More annoyingly is both my TV, cable box and reciever have discreet on and off commands built into them.

So if the TV is already on it wouldn't turn it off if the One sent that command.

MS needs to implement those and IR learning. The thing is basically a voice controlled harmony remote, so it needs a little more customizability out there like Harmony has.

I went into manual device setup and entered all the model numbers for my devices. Xbox found them and now , as I understand it, is controlling all my devices via hdmi.

gossi

I finished Ryse. I actually enjoyed it a whole lot. Huh. The co-op multiplayer is still crap, though.

Dead Rising 3 multiplayer is actually hilarious and great, by the way, for anybody who hasn't tried it.

biRdy

What are peoples thoughts on Ryse? Should I buy it or go instead with BF4? I already have DR3, Forza, KI, and Ghosts. (And love them all)

un1que

What are peoples thoughts on Ryse? Should I buy it or go instead with BF4? I already have DR3, Forza, KI, and Ghosts. (And love them all)

Ryse is a nice graphical showcase but its a but repetitive and doesn't last long.

Battlefield is amazing. I've never played it on PC so it blew my mind when I played it on Xbox One. The only prob is that the servers are hit and miss at the min but hopefully will be sorted soon

shandy706

I would wait on Ryse unless you just like that style of game and an absolute visual feast. Ryse is not a bad game though (play it on the hardest settings). My wife surprised me with a copy of it and I'm happy she did. I'm the kind of person that LOVES admiring all the details and artwork that goes into a game though. I literally will stand in a spot and look at everything in the game...lol.

iJL77rPOrsILI.gif

ioq0FItaji86M.gif

I have two more gifs if anyone wants me to post them...trying to keep the bandwidth hit down.

For long lasting game-play (aka months to year(s)) go for BF4...if you want a quick, but entertaining, blast and insane graphics..go with Ryse.

Lima

not necessarily. I bought a few full games on the MS site before my One got here. I updated it and they didn't start downloading - they were under my apps and said "Install"

That is because you didn't set up the console yet and didn't specify the home console.

After everything is up and running, if you buy something from the xbox.com store and the Xbox is on "Instant On" it will start downloading the game.

For some reason My XBO doesn't want to play DR3 (disk version) it goes to splash screen then kicks me back to home after a bit. I tried calling support but apparently it's not work hours (1pm pst?) does anyone have a fix for this? Also when I go to TV it doesn't show any video, just the tv icon. Everything was working before today.

Chitown B

That is because you didn't set up the console yet and didn't specify the home console.

After everything is up and running, if you buy something from the xbox.com store and the Xbox is on "Instant On" it will start downloading the game.

awesome, good point.

Satchel

Banned
For some reason My XBO doesn't want to play DR3 (disk version) it goes to splash screen then kicks me back to home after a bit. I tried calling support but apparently it's not work hours (1pm pst?) does anyone have a fix for this? Also when I go to TV it doesn't show any video, just the tv icon. Everything was working before today.

Try quitting the game from the dash. Use the old start button to quit it first then start again.

If that doesn't work, totally shut off the xbox so you can cold boot it.

If THAT doesn't work, then I'm not sure.

enewtabie

Got my X1 yesterday from Amazon. Terrible packing job btw. Didn't really get to play much but Forza,but man as a person who owns every Forza. They really turned up the skill needed against the drivatars. Much harder, but better. Game looks fantastic.

biRdy

Did that to me for Ghosts randomly yesterday. So I loaded up Killer Instinct to end the games process, loaded Ghosts back up and worked.

ekim

Try quitting the game from the dash. Use the old start button to quit it first then start again.

If that doesn't work, totally shut off the xbox so you can cold boot it.

If THAT doesn't work, then I'm not sure.

I had the exact same problem but for the digital version. I then started Killer Instinct and suddenly afterwards DR3 worked again.

shandy706

Got my X1 yesterday from Amazon. Terrible packing job btw. Didn't really get to play much but Forza,but man as a person who owns every Forza. They really turned up the skill needed against the drivatars. Much harder, but better. Game looks fantastic.

Yeah, I'm playing with the difficulty turned up and getting 3rd, let alone 1st, can be a real battle. I like the way they broke up "gold/silver/bronze" into tiers vs just 1st/2nd/3rd. It makes the races more exciting and keeps me from wanting to restart or quit if I'm pulling 2nd or 3rd in single player. I don't think I've quit a single race (outside of quitting the game to do something).

In the absence of a system-wide recent players feature:

FIFA 14: (Seasons and Cup matches)
Main Menu>Play>Seasons>Current Season

BF4: I haven't played it yet but if Battlefield 4 works the same way as Battlefield 3 you should be able to access your entire game history on the battlelog website and you can collect the gamertags from there.

Gorki247

XBOX One and Harmony One setup details ...

Great minds think alike. I'm doing something very similar, but still use the remote to turn everything on/off most of the times instead of the voice command. I have the Ultimate which doesn't use the remote's IR in my setup so I cannot cover it up the way you do (but on the flip side it means I can swap between my Xbox activities without any problems). Yes, I also got two Xbox activities (mine are called Xbox On and Xbox TV) and use a splitter in case I want to bypass the Xbox One (with a standard Watch TV activity).

One thing worth considering if you use the Xbox Mute voice command. Program the remote to use the Xbox command for mute instead of the AVR command. That way it gets relayed via the Kinect to your AVR; so you can mix voice with button presses and it will stay in sync. I found it got confused otherwise. You can of course also use the Xbox commands for volume up/down although I don't think this makes any difference.

After several dozen stores and days of searching I finally got my ONE

and it dead on arrival. Aarrgghh.

At least I can request the shipping-back-to-MS stuff online and don't have to do it over the phone.

Thinking of getting Powerstar Golf. Is it fun?

Yes, lots to do, the power ups etc give it an edge. The way the "single player" works is that you do tournaments and get stars, use those stars to buy booster packs and then you get 5 cards in each which relate to your caddy/character/clubs/balls and you can improve your player etc.

Very good game. I got a hole in one as well!

Okay, this is driving me nuts and hopefully someone can help me here.

When the Xbox One logs me in it says "Welcome Martin" which is my full name but I clearly go by Marty. How do I change it to welcome me by the name I want? I've already changed it on the billing address and credit card info but it's still saying my full name. I've even removed the account from the system and added it back in, and it still says it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The light on front turns on for 1 second, it beeps, and the power brick goes from yellow light to white light, then it immediately shuts off. I tried another power brick from roommate with same result.

Bad HDMI cable. Use a different one.

I had the exact same issue. Used my old 360 HDMI cable and presto. Worked

Chitown B

When the Xbox One logs me in it says "Welcome Martin" which is my full name but I clearly go by Marty. How do I change it to welcome me by the name I want? I've already changed it on the billing address and credit card info but it's still saying my full name. I've even removed the account from the system and added it back in, and it still says it.

go to xbox.com, log in. Click on your name/profile at the top. Below your avatar is Edit My Profile. Open that, edit your name. "Enter your name or alternate nickname."

Save.

See if that changes it.

Razdek

Banned

Isn't the name that's on the email account you use to log into Live?

Have a family member loudly call you by your nickname in front of the TV.

"Hey everyone, it's MARTY! How are you doing today, MARTY?"

Kinect will take the hint.

Majanew

Banned
The only way to eject a disc is to press the eject button on the console?

And my audio keeps getting changed back to 7.1 uncompressed when the system has been off for a few hours. Stop changing my audio dammit.

Look, I am a huge BF fan. I can see myself playing 4 for at least the next 2 years, but it is a mess right now. An absolute mess.

Klocker

seriously? My buddy's did this after the update and he was getting a new one sent to him. I wonder if it's just the HDMI cable - he has not tried that.

yep mine didn't display a picture until I switched the hdmi cables I was using going to and from my Home theater

Klocker

but did it beep and then turn off?

can't remember... sorry. I remember it shutting down though but there was so much going on with the update and wondering if it was going to work that I didn't pay attention to specifics... only that screen was black until I changed cables

Chitown B

can't remember... sorry. I remember it shutting down though but there was so much going on with the update and wondering if it was going to work that I didn't pay attention to specifics... only that screen was black until I changed cables

thanks. he'll try a different cable tonight.

FourDoor

Great minds think alike. I'm doing something very similar, but still use the remote to turn everything on/off most of the times instead of the voice command. I have the Ultimate which doesn't use the remote's IR in my setup so I cannot cover it up the way you do (but on the flip side it means I can swap between my Xbox activities without any problems). Yes, I also got two Xbox activities (mine are called Xbox On and Xbox TV) and use a splitter in case I want to bypass the Xbox One (with a standard Watch TV activity).

One thing worth considering if you use the Xbox Mute voice command. Program the remote to use the Xbox command for mute instead of the AVR command. That way it gets relayed via the Kinect to your AVR; so you can mix voice with button presses and it will stay in sync. I found it got confused otherwise. You can of course also use the Xbox commands for volume up/down although I don't think this makes any difference.

Nice! Yes that's true about the RF->IR blaster on the Ultimate. I have the 900 as well and would have the same issue if I installed it in that room.

The key workaround for me is that the Harmony is taken out of the equation for powering on/off the components used by the XBOX. I prefer it this way since it's fun saying XBOX ON when I walk in the room right now.

However, if I pressed the power off button on the Harmony, all hell breaks loose:

Harmony power off does this to my system:
Powers off TV, then AVR, then DTV, then XBOX
Then the XBOX turns the TV back on, ther AVR, and the DTV box sometimes!

If the "XBOX ON" coolness factor wears off soon, I'll just take the power controls back away from the XBOX and give it back to the Harmony. But for now, it's just too damn fun walking in the room and saying XBOX ON. :D

Your Xbox is all "his mama named him Martin, I'm a call him Martin!"

Yes, lots to do, the power ups etc give it an edge. The way the "single player" works is that you do tournaments and get stars, use those stars to buy booster packs and then you get 5 cards in each which relate to your caddy/character/clubs/balls and you can improve your player etc.

Very good game. I got a hole in one as well!

LOL. I bet your were like, oh shit. Xbox, mother fucking record that shit!

GavinGT

Banned
Some of you mentioned that one of your bumpers feels mushier than the other. Well, there seems to be an easy fix (worked for me at least). You'll just need an old credit card and a Torx security screwdriver (the same as the one for opening 360 controllers).

Just use the credit card to pop off the backplate portion of whichever side has the mushy bumper (check the first few minutes of this video). You'll then want to play with the tightness of the screw nearest the bumper. You should also pop off the battery cover and try adjusting the screw that's hidden behind the sticker in there. You should be able to find a sweet spot to where the mush is totally gone.

Top Bottom