• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

The support rep emailed me a game token after I provided her with the service order number, so she could verify I submitted it.

The rep explained that it takes 3-5 business days to receive my new Xbox and that I have to return the broken one within 14 days from receiving the new one.

I was nice and understanding the whole time, and everything got resolved, so I don't think "raising a stink" is necessary here.

Ok, great. Thanks for the information.

pacman85

Anyone else have AT&T U-Verse, an XBox One and had issues getting their cable box able to be controlled by the XBox One? I have the Motorola VIP1200 cable box and it detects the video signal and I can watch TV through the XBox One but I can't really do any of the cool, conveinent features that makes watching TV through the system cool. I was able to get the XBox One to control and play nice with my Vizio TV so I know it's not the XBox One that is the issue. It tried to send a power command to the cable box and it never worked. I tried moving on to the next command which was sending the Info/Display command which never worked either. Perhaps a compatibility issue with the model of cable box I have? IR signal not getting to my U-Verse box?

hoos30

I think this is done on purpose as it can't predict you are done with the TV. If can however predict that you want to use the TV when you turn on your xbox. In any case mine doesn't turn off the tv either.

I don't have one yet, but I read in another thread that there is a setting somewhere that let's you choose whether to turn the TV off when you turn the x1 off.

XBLA doesn't exist anymore, all games are just that, games. So the games that would have been XBLA titles on the 360 (lococycle and crimson dragon) are now just simply games, but cheaper when compared to the 59.99 releases.

Well yea. A game is a game to the Xbox Game Store. I just think we'll get the equivalent to XBLA games releasing here soon since there are no AAA releases for a while.

Ah okay, thanks. I am looking forward to MS clearing up indie policy, XBLA was one of my favorite things on the 360, want to see these comes to the XB1 too.

Phreaker

I don't have one yet, but I read in another thread that there is a setting somewhere that let's you choose whether to turn the TV off when you turn the x1 off.

Yeah, that voice command guide posted last page says it can be setup to turn off your TV. I haven't done that yet though.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Has anyone found any good must-have apps? Currently "pinning" Skype, YT, Hulu, and Netflix.

Also how do you pin from the console? I can actually do it on Smartglass but didn't see how to do it on console. Think I need to sit through some walkthrough videos or something instead of just playing Dead Rising. :D

Right now, I'm only pinning the multimedia stuff and my games so I can get to them fast.

Is there a way to change the order of the pins? I'd like to organize it a bit.

It is really nice for my wife because she pinned some of her actual shows and such so she can just load directly into those when she is logged in.

tkalamba

are these known issues? I mean do they know about it?

I'd hope DICE knows about it, BF4 is a mess on all platforms. You can't even turn party chat on while BF4 is running. You have to actually close BF4 start a party and turn on chat, then start BF4.

Any idea why my Xbox One might be getting such piss-poor wifi performance? 85% signal strength but on most tests less than 5mbps down. My iPhone right next to it, 25mbps down.

1a29990a5c83d727430f6a706700851b.jpg

So cute. :)

StoOgE

There ought to be separate voice commands for turning on your TV and receiver. The fact that it merely toggles the power button regardless of whether it's on or off makes it a hassle for me more often than not.

More annoyingly is both my TV, cable box and reciever have discreet on and off commands built into them.

So if the TV is already on it wouldn't turn it off if the One sent that command.

MS needs to implement those and IR learning. The thing is basically a voice controlled harmony remote, so it needs a little more customizability out there like Harmony has.

Any idea why my Xbox One might be getting such piss-poor wifi performance? 85% signal strength but on most tests less than 5mbps down. My iPhone right next to it, 25mbps down.

I think the performance test itself yields piss poor performance. I get over 200 Mbps down and up when speedtesting on PC but Xbox says I've got 75 down and 15 up. Bullshit I say.

KaoticBlaze

sorry if it has already been asked but has anyone had problems with the headset? when i make a party and turn on party chat the voices still come in through the tv speakers.

FourDoor

OK I figured I would share my experience with the XBOX One, Kinect, DirecTV DVR, and Harmony One remote in my living room setup after trying to figure out how to best integrate the XBOX One for daily use. I don't game much anymore compared to before and I feel that I am one of the target audiences MS was trying to reach with the XBOX One. (Sad to say I haven't purchased a single launch title yet but at the same time have been happy with just playing with the XBOX Voice commands while watching TV so far).

EQUIPMENT:
Sharp LCD
Onkyo AVR
DirecTV HD-DVR
XBOX One
Logitech Harmony One
Apple TV/WD TV/PS3

CONNECTIONS:
DirecTV -> HDMI Splitter -> XBOX One -> AVR -> TV
DirecTV -> HDMI Splitter -> AVR -> TV
Other devices go straight to the AVR then the TV.

HARMONY REMOTE ACTIVITIES:
Watch DTV – This is the traditional method just in case I ever want to run things without the XBOX. It turns on the DTV box, AVR, and TV. All functions are controlled by the Harmony remote and all buttons on the harmony remote correlate to the DirecTV box and AVR for volume.
XBOX One – This activity turns on the XBOX, DTV box, AVR, and TV. All buttons on the remote are mapped to the XBOX One and AVR for volume.
XBOX DTV – This activity turns on the XBOX, DTV box, AVR, and TV. All buttons on the remote are mapped to the DirecTV box and AVR for volume.

XBOX ONE CONFIG:
Power control of XBOX, TV, DirecTV, and AVR

My goal was to have the XBOX One voice commands and Harmony One remote work with each other so that I can voice command DirecTV but still have access to my recorded shows. Unfortunately I would say it’s only about 75% possible at this point and had to use the workarounds below to get it functioning.

What I am able to do is come in the room and say “XBOX On” and it turns on the XBOX, DirecTV, AVR, and TV. After that if DirecTV was the last thing I was doing, it would already show DirecTV in full screen. If not, “XBOX Watch TV” would need to be said. (Then what I would do if it was not already done from the previous session was to press the “XBOX DTV” activity on the remote and cover up the IR blaster as to not screw up the power settings.) So from there my experience is 100% the same as if the XBOX One was not even powered on. I can record, bring up my recordings, buffer 2 live channels at once, etc all from the remote. If for some reason I need to do any XBOX One functions outside of watching DirecTV, everything is still available via Kinect voice command. I can also still say “XBOX Home”. "XBOX PLAY _____", or “XBOX Watch Netflix” if I don’t want to use the remote. From there I can just simply change the activity on the Harmony remote from XBOX DTV to XBOX One and the remote’s button functions are transferred over to the XBOX One without any of the devices getting disturbed because the Harmony remotes already knows that all the devices are on. The key here for me is that I don't use the power off buttons on the Harmony Remote and let the XBOX One Control it for me.

IN SUMMARY MY CURRENT TV EXPERIENCE IS:
Walk in the room and say "XBOX ON"
If needed, say "XBOX WATCH TV"
Pick up remote and set to XBOX DTV if it is not already set to it (remember I am not powering off the system anymore via the Harmony Remote)
Use the remote to bring up recorded programs and choose what to play.
During playback I have the option of using the remote or using the XBOX voice commands such as "XBOX PAUSE"
When watching Live TV, I actually have been using the XBOX Voice commands like "WATCH NBA TV" and don't particularly use the remote
When I'm done watching, I just say XBOX TURN OFF (the harmony remote still stays in the XBOX DTV activity waiting for me to come back and say XBOX ON again)

WHAT STILL NEEDS WORK:
Logitech/MS needs a way to send distinct IR codes to launch the TV app via remote
Cable/SAT DVR Control functionality is needed via the TV App
Delays/power on sequences are needed from the XBOX (My DTV Box still sometimes shows as no signal after initial power up so I need to power cycle the DTV box for the XBOX to recognize it)
Logitech needs to let you add devices to activities without power on/off settings so it doesn't screw up the XBOX One. I don't see this hurting your other activities since most devices have distinct On and Off codes.
-- So for the XBOX One if I was in my XBOX DTV Activity, it would just power off the XBOX only via the remote. Then the XBOX One would turn off the TV, AVR, and DTV. Cumbersome but at least I can use the power on/off
Doubt it will ever happen but XBOX hopefully takes Kinect to the next level and lets you customize things such as AVR and TV input settings so that you can migrate activities into the XBOX One. The ecosystem is already there with Kinect for voice commands and Smart Glass for physical remotes so hopefully MS tries to take on Logitech in the future.

IRQ

Banned
I'd hope DICE knows about it, BF4 is a mess on all platforms. You can't even turn party chat on while BF4 is running. You have to actually close BF4 start a party and turn on chat, then start BF4.

WOW. That's kinda messed up. This is the first time me buying a BF game. Great one, but these issues are frustrating. I thought it was the X1 fault. Glad it's BF.

One other thing. Am currently in a tier 2 country but my account is a us account. I can actually by games with my credit card which is issued from my country :D That's very amazing :D

KaoticBlaze

are you sure it's plugged all the way in? I definitely didn't do that originally.

yeah and i tried unplugging it and plugging it back in...the people on the other side said they heard me just fine through their headsets but i couldnt hear a thing through mine only through my tv.

tkalamba

WOW. That's kinda messed up. This is the first time me buying a BF game. Great one, but these issues are frustrating. I thought it was the X1 fault. Glad it's BF.

One other thing. Am currently in a tier 2 country but my account is a us account. I can actually by games with my credit card which is issued from my country :D That's very amazing :D

yeah, as far as I can tell, and from what I've seen, it seems to be a problem with BF4. Party chat otherwise seems to work flawlessly for me.

Chitown B

yeah and i tried unplugging it and plugging it back in...the people on the other side said they heard me just fine through their headsets but i couldnt hear a thing through mine only through my tv.

hmmm... I know there are settings for chat but I'm not at my box. You can go into Kinect settings and uncheck "use for voice chat" - I did that.

StoOgE

So I'm buying BF4 for myself (I know it has issues, but whatever).

My rents are also getting me a game. I'm leaning towards NFS as I like arcade racers. Is it a pretty solid game? Look good on the One?

ParityBit

So I'm buying BF4 for myself (I know it has issues, but whatever).

My rents are also getting me a game. I'm leaning towards NFS as I like arcade racers. Is it a pretty solid game? Look good on the One?

I got NFS myself last night. I did not get to play it though and need to finish downloading it tonight. I think my wife turned off the Xbox last night. So I am not really much help .... but my point was I got it also :)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hey, dumb question. What's the equivalent of "Xbox, Record That" but with the controller, so I don't wake up everyone if I want to record something?

Guide button -> snap -> game dvr > stop recording. Seems to be the only way to do it for more than 30 secobds as well.

Last night I picked up a 360 controller after spending a few hours playing Forza 5 and BF 4 on the Xbone... and it felt weird.

I've been using that controller for 8 years, but I feel like I'm already getting used to the new hotness. The 360's protruding battery pack never (never!) bothered me until now. I've squeezed RT for thousands of BR and DMR shots, but suddenly those old triggers feel tiny and shallow. It's a bittersweet feeling, like running into an old high school girlfriend... and then asking her for the #6 combo (no mayo) and a 5-piece spicy chicken nuggets.

As for the bumpers... here is my totally scientific Truthfact Analysis™ of the issue:

xbone_bumper1.jpg

Figure 1: The Konami Code

On the outside edge of the bumper (Fig. 1, Row 1), it doesn't matter what direction your finger is applying force - the button clicks. My chief contribution to every Battlefield 4 team is mashing the Spot button until orange enemy Doritos litter the screen.

On the inside edge of the bumper (Fig. 1, Row 2), if you apply force directed toward the center of the controller you're pushing against the hinge and the button doesn't click. This happens more if you use the very tip of your index finger instead of the middle. This happens less if you are Davos Seaworth.

The 360 controller didn't have such an issue, but that's partly because those bumpers were much smaller. I think people will get used to the change; in my opinion the Xbox One bumpers are easier to use overall. All other opinions are not my opinion - but they're probably wrong.

Great post. I've already gotten used to the new bumpers after like an hour of playing around with the system.

Currently for the 360 I've been mainly using the transforming d-pad controllers, but I do remember having issues with the ORIGINAL launch 360 controller bumpers as well. I remember pressing them down in a certain way would result in the press not registering, which was really frustrating while playing the EA NHL games because both bumpers are crucial buttons for defense. I don't know if its that I got used to how to press the bumpers or if the newer controllers fixed that issue but don't remember having that issue in the last few years.

Heysoos

Fuck it, going to spend my $140+ that I have left on my Xbox account. I already have KI. What else is must buy? I was thinking BF4, but don't want to double dip since I have it on PC. Forza and DR3? Ryse and DR3? DR3 and save the rest? etc etc. Opinions/thoughts?

Chitown B

Fuck it, going to spend my $140+ that I have left on my Xbox account. I already have KI. What else is must buy? I was thinking BF4, but don't want to double dip since I have it on PC. Forza and DR3? Ryse and DR3? DR3 and save the rest? etc etc. Opinions/thoughts?

Forza.

hawk2025

DR3 for sure, save the rest. But if you want a shooter, you'll also probably love BF4.

Enjoy!

Razdek

Banned

DR3 and Forza are safe bets and lots of fun.

ParityBit

good suggestions here. Or you can buy everything which it seems like I am. I have no idea why. It is too easy, and there are a lot of games ...

Phreaker

DR3 and Killer Instinct! :)

ahartig

DR3 and RYSE.....There will be blood!!!!!!!!!!!!

StoOgE

Is NFS rivals worth getting for X1 ?

How does it compare to the ps4 version ? They are both 1080p ?

From what I can tell the X1 seems to be missing some DOF effects from the PS4 but are otherwise identical?

I'm interested as well in this one.

Etaber

Also if a game is downloading/installing and you put your system on standby, does it keep downloading/installing?

It did for me for digital games at least. Started downloading DR3 at night and it was done when I started up the console in the morning.

Top Bottom