• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Haunted

Can I just buy an XB1 controller and it'll work on my PC?

Looking to replace my 360 controllers for PC usage and it looks like the Steam controller is still a ways off.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, this thing sold my wife on the box too.
You can check back, there is a lot of statistics showing your progress. Comparisons with age group, your own prior best etc. included. You get there from the main screen.

Your X1 hates your iPhone :)
Seriously now: check your connection settings. In the middle of the screen, under the name for your network, is either "NAT: open" or "NAT: strict". If you read strict, you need to open the ports for the box on your router, this seems to help with performance.
If this doesn´t help, go to your router and change the frequency and/or channel it broadcasts its signal.

I can´t vouch for this, but its said there are some available in large cities. Your friend from Denmark should check Hamburg out.

Look above, what does your NAT say?

Yes it is, you just need an American address. Caboose made a thread with detailed instructions.

Yeah, I'm having this issue. Looks like it says my nat is strict even though nothing has given me issues, guess I have a fun time tomorrow trying to figure out routers which I always hate. But my DL speeds have been pretty terrible so I need to do something.

My brother has, it seems some Xbones are not responding to "Xbox ON", everything else works fine after it's on though. He has been trying viciously to get it to work, not sure the problem.

Last night he did redo his Kinect commands, I did talk to him today but forgot to ask if it worked? :(

Is this the same problem your having?

My brother texted me saying that mine is working perfect because Im closer to my TV, so in return I sent him 4 video's via Phone showing him me being almost 20 feet away at one point, and saying "Xbox ON", in a very low tone voice, with my Xbox turning on no problem from far away.

Reset your Kinect, and make sure when your going through the sequences, to have your TV as loud as your Kinect will allow.

I recalibrated the Kinect, unplugged and reconnected it to the console, and also did a hard reboot. It's working again now, not sure which one was the magic bullet though.

Thanks for the tip!

Hammer24

Banned
Guys, my XBone is ignoring me while in standby mode. I can no longer turn it on with voice. Anyone encountered this?

Reset your Kinect, and make sure when your going through the sequences, to have your TV as loud as your Kinect will allow.

That's the solution!

Going to grab another game today after finishing Ryse yesterday. I already have DR3, FIFA and Powerstar Golf.

Any recommendations? I've played Forza and KI and they are cool but not my thing.

Torn between BF4, Ghosts and NFS Rivals. Or should I hang fire for something else? When is Peggle 2 coming?

I went AC4 after finishing Ryse. And let me tell you one thing: now the movement of the flags bothers me. Just can´t unsee the difference between the two. :(

Orca

I'm having trouble with SkyDrive. I have an account - the same one I use for Xbox Live - with 27 GB of storage, but when I downloaded SkyDrive to the Xbox One and fired it up it just shows the Picture/Video and Shared categories and nothing else. I put photos in both just to be sure, but it doesn't seem to pull anything down from the server. Am I not logged in properly on it or something? I didn't get prompted to log in at all, so I'm assuming it just uses the Live account.

BraXzy

Does the Kinect being calibrated with your TV on really loud actually make a difference? I have to speak really loud to get it to hear me even though I'm sat pretty close, and Xbox ON doesn't work unless I'm right next to the Kinect.

Xbox ones should be driping back into stores starting this week all the way through December, but in very small amounts. PS4s a little later but in larger incriminates.

Hammer24

Banned
Does the Kinect being calibrated with your TV on really loud actually make a difference? I have to speak really loud to get it to hear me even though I'm sat pretty close, and Xbox ON doesn't work unless I'm right next to the Kinect.

Yes, it does. Crank the volume up until Kinect complains. Set up like this it´ll hear you whisper, and people say even make it work better.

Kajiba

Yes. It makes a difference. It will be much better.

operon

Calibrated my Kinect audio and the voice commands working even better especially the xbox on one. Noticed that my clip uploads are going into the pictures/xbox game dvr folder in my skydrive rather then a xbo games one I thought it was supposed to be going in to.

Femto.

Just set up my Xbone tonight and everything seems to work fine except for a few things.

1) When I completely turn off my system by holding down the power button and then turn it back on, it is disconnected from my router and I have to set up the wireless connection again. However, if I leave the system on standby, it stays connected when I turn it back on.

Is this normal?

2) If my controller is still on and I completely shut off my system like I explaied in #1, the Xbox will turn itself back on again because the controller is still on. When I turn off the controller before completely shutting off my system, the system stays off.

Again, is this normal?

Or do I have defective unit here?

Thanks in advance for the replies.
It's been a long night.

zou

I'll third this. When I first set it up it was late so I only turned up the volume as little as required. Voice recognition was decent, but not great. Then yesterday I redid the calibration with a higher volume and the difference is impressive.

Alx

Woah, how loud is too loud for kinect ? I did the calibration again after reading the previous messages (although the commands were working mostly fine), pushed the volume to something VERY loud, and kinect didn't really complain.
Anyway, it still should be more sensitive now, I suppose. I noticed that it caught my last command over some loud music, although I'm not sure the previous calibration would have missed it.

By the way, is it possible to control a bluray/DVD menu with voice commands ? I still need the controller to select a chapter or set up language and subtitles.

operon

I'll third this. When I first set it up it was late so I only turned up the volume as little as required. Voice recognition was decent, but not great. Then yesterday I redid the calibration with a higher volume and the difference is impressive.

Same here, it really make a difference

dandoolan

Mine arrived half an hour ago, thanks amazon, day one edition with the Fifa code.

It's updating now.

I LOVE the controller with the exception of the bumpers, who thought a hinge was a good idea?

hadareud

The Translator
I prefer the new bumper buttons over the old ones by far.

I can now easily press them with the same finger that I rest on the triggers, without hardly having to move them at all. It's a lot quicker and more intuitive for me.

Surprised that so many people don't seem to like them.

Lima

I can now easily press them with the same finger that I rest on the triggers, without hardly having to move them at all. It's a lot quicker and more intuitive for me.

Because that is not how many people hold the controller. I'm just not comfortable with idea that MS wants me to hold the controller a certain way.

hadareud

The Translator
Because that is not how many people hold the controller. I'm just not comfortable with idea that MS wants me to hold the controller a certain way.

Isn't every controller designed to be held in a certain way?

Not sure I understand that particular complaint.

I can see why people would prefer a different layout, of course (you freaks!).

dandoolan

My fingers naturally slide to the other end of the bumper, and with the hinge it only responds 50% of the time when I press there.

The problem for me is, why have such a long button at all if only half of it is responsive?

ParityBit

Anyone using headphones for when someone is in the room with you? I have a sleeping wife and baby, but I don't need to be blasting through my speakers!

If so, what do you use? I would have to pug into my receiver.

Just a bump. Anyone? I am also concerned I will buy something and some official headset will come out or something.

cripterion

I would wait on Ryse unless you just like that style of game and an absolute visual feast. Ryse is not a bad game though (play it on the hardest settings). My wife surprised me with a copy of it and I'm happy she did. I'm the kind of person that LOVES admiring all the details and artwork that goes into a game though. I literally will stand in a spot and look at everything in the game...lol.

iJL77rPOrsILI.gif

ioq0FItaji86M.gif

I have two more gifs if anyone wants me to post them...trying to keep the bandwidth hit down.

For long lasting game-play (aka months to year(s)) go for BF4...if you want a quick, but entertaining, blast and insane graphics..go with Ryse.

Love those 2 chapters you posted the gifs from. So much atmosphere.

Hammer24

Banned
I mean for game sound... So I do not need to blast through my speakers

Ah, so you want to take the sound coming from your AV? I´d go with some nice surround ones, preferably wireless. Just take ones with normal cinch adapters, as the optical out from the X1 is not the best solution right now.

zorbsie

I mean for game sound... So I do not need to blast through my speakers

I just use my Astros. If you use the optical out it convert it down to stereo which sucks, but hopefully they can patch that out. It is nice to have when my daughter falls asleep beside me.

Also, I'm sure this is old, typing with SmartGlass is fantastic. I was so used to using the chat pad on the 360 and was bummed that there wasn't one the XB1. But the SmartGlass typing is a nice substitute.

ParityBit

Ah, so you want to take the sound coming from your AV? I´d go with some nice surround ones, preferably wireless. Just take ones with normal cinch adapters, as the optical out from the X1 is not the best solution right now.

Any suggestions? I can plug into my receiver, or however wireless phones will work.

BlindRage

So I just turned my xbox on, and I tried to play fifa, and it kicks me back to the home/dash/whatever saying fifa took too long to start? Odd?

BlindRage

Try giving the system a cold boot (not booting from standby), I had that same issue with KI until I restarted the system.

Its weird cause I just launched it from cold boot, should I not keep the discs in there? I always figured there was no problem since they were installed.

But I did just try to put 2k in and it loaded and let me start a game. I'm gonna turn it all the way off and try fifa again after work.

Its weird cause I just launched it from cold boot, should I not keep the discs in there? I always figured there was no problem since they were installed.

But I did just try to put 2k in and it loaded and let me start a game. I'm gonna turn it all the way off and try fifa again after work.

I can't see why having a disc left in the system would cause any issues, or at least I hadn't heard of it doing so.

Atsumi

Does anyone else find the power adapter lighting up very annoying? My Xbox is in my room, and it basically lights up a whole wall while sleeping.

So I just turned my xbox on, and I tried to play fifa, and it kicks me back to the home/dash/whatever saying fifa took too long to start? Odd?

Hm sounds like it's trying to resume a suspended game and failing, perhaps? Load another game first then try fifa - or quit fifa from the home page (highlight Fifa in the main tile if it's there, and use the menu button to get to 'quit game').

Lima

Buy some good headphones if you already have an AV-receiver. Not these crappy gaming headsets.

And then just use Kinect as a mic to chat. It works quite well even if there is background noise now, but if you are using headphones, chances are your room is pretty quiet so Kinect is perfect.

The xbox is asking me to sign in with the controller instead of facial recognition , whats wrong?

Doesn't like how you've done your hair today.

But more seriously, when it asks you to sign in and offers you a profile choice, scroll down to (or say) "Kinect didn't recognise me" and it'll train up for better matching next time.

I love how the xbox recognizes my wife's voice "xbox on" but won't recognize mine. I have to turn it on with the controller. All other commands are fine. Very wierd.

Top Bottom