• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Feeroper

So what is everyone doing when powering down the console? Standby or off?

I have mine in standby right now, but like the ps4, I'm a little nervous about doing that. Maybe I'm just paranoid but with these 2 systems, having the choice so easily visible gets me paranoid.

I have mine in standby right now, but like the ps4, I'm a little nervous about doing that. Maybe I'm just paranoid but with these 2 systems, having the choice so easily visible gets me paranoid.

"Xbox Turn Off"

Lima

Ah yiss now my PSU is silent. Thanks to some good old duct tape. Just cover the whole thing with it.

The fan in this thing is completely useless, to the point where I want to open it up and get rid of the fan entirely (can't find any screws though). I did this yesterday, the console has been in Instant On all night and I've played 5 hours with it today already and the PSU is as cool as it was before. So the fan is clearly not needed and was only added for safety reasons (I mean they put a fan in the Kinect, stay cool Xbox).

Still annoys me. The first 360 PSU's didn't have a fan at all. This changed with the introduction of the slim and with it came a PSU with a fan which for many people was louder than the console itself. The same thing now happens with the Xbox One. Can't believe they spent all this time to make the system as quiet as possible and then cheapen out on the fan in the PSU. Smh Microsoft.

Hammer24

Banned
iJL77rPOrsILI.gif

I want the end of this gif, where the flags are waving in the wind, and next to it a gif from AC4 (f.i. entrance to Havanna harbor), where the ships flags are waving in the wind. They look like plywood in comparison. I just can´t unsee this effect anymore :(

Good thing I gave the calibration tool a try.

I'm normally very proud of my calibration settings so I was not going to even bother with the X1 tool.

Well,I was missing portion of the screen. I have calibrated my TV with other tools in the past but somehow the X1 cropped out the screen (The outer [Greenframe was not visible).

For instance. My TV was not displaying the green lines around the edges. So I played a little bit with the TV setting and wallah! they showed up. Funny thing I did not need any other calibration. My past settings were spot on with what the rest of the calibration tool wanted me to do.

1920x-1

zou

Is there a way to navigate within apps once kinect stops actively listening to you?

Example:

I switch to Music and while kinect is "active" it picks up all the voice commands (for example album name). As soon as it stops listening, I can't for the life of me get it to work. I always end up saying "xbox", "go back" to close the help thing and only then can I access my album.

Same with Amazon Video, it won't pick up on watch list or video library or any of the titles if it's not active. Hulu same crap.

go back, pause, play etc. usually work, leading me to believe they treat third party commands/dynamic/content differently? Similar to how I need to navigate through 7 pages before I can play episode 21.

-----

Oh and I saw someone else mentioned it earlier, but yeah, gestures are bugging the fuck out once it gets dark(er) in the room. Pretty much every single evening so far kinect will be randomly picking up invisible gestures. Doesn't matter whether I move or sit still or face the camera. Especially annoying when it pauses the content.

Any way to turn them off? Never use them anyway.

sith ewok

Ah yiss now my PSU is silent. Thanks to some good old duct tape. Just cover the whole thing with it.

The fan in this thing is completely useless, to the point where I want to open it up and get rid of the fan entirely (can't find any screws though). I did this yesterday, the console has been in Instant On all night and I've played 5 hours with it today already and the PSU is as cool as it was before. So the fan is clearly not needed and was only added for safety reasons (I mean they put a fan in the Kinect, stay cool Xbox).

Still annoys me. The first 360 PSU's didn't have a fan at all. This changed with the introduction of the slim and with it came a PSU with a fan which for many people was louder than the console itself. The same thing now happens with the Xbox One. Can't believe they spent all this time to make the system as quiet as possible and then cheapen out on the fan in the PSU. Smh Microsoft.

Why not just exchange the PSU? It should be silent. I literally cannot hear my X1 at all, even if I am standing at my entertainment center.

Lima

Why not just exchange the PSU? It should be silent. I literally cannot hear my X1 at all, even if I am standing at my entertainment center.

Because I would be without a PSU for 2-3 weeks and have to pay for postage to Czech Republic myself?

I already bought a replacement (yes bought since these fuckers at Microsoft are so incompetent at everything). Should be coming soon.

zou

WTF is it with the shitty unskippable videos in some of the games? Makes me want to quit the damn game immediately, so fucking ridiculous. First Forza and now NFS.

Edit: ahaha, unskippable tutorial. dumb fucks. Fucking unbelievable, just as I thought I could finally drive the damn car they play yet another tutorial. Guess I'm done for the day.

Lima

WTF is it with the shitty unskippable videos in some of the games? Makes me want to quit the damn game immediately, so fucking ridiculous. First Forza and now NFS.

Edit: ahaha, unskippable tutorial. Fucking assholes.

Good day sir

Are you new to gaming?

Eric WK

Edit: ahaha, unskippable tutorial. dumb fucks. Fucking unbelievable, just as I thought I could finally drive the damn car they play yet another tutorial. Guess I'm done for the day.

They sound defective to me. Return the games and, just to be safe, your Xbox One to your point of purchase for an exchange or full refund.

This is a long shot, but I have an AU FIFA14 code that I really don't want. Would love to swap it for a Forza code from someone in the UK who wanted FIFA but got Forza.

Lima

So this is a thing with racers? Haven't played NFS in ages, but bs like this immediately puts me off. And none of the other games have any of this garbage.

NFS has been pulling this shit for a while now though obviously it is especially bad in Rivals this time.

Doesn't help that the cutscenes and the dialog are so bad that you are just sitting there asking yourself why EA thought that anyone will think this is cool.

moaaz

Is there a way to navigate within apps once kinect stops actively listening to you?

Example:

I switch to Music and while kinect is "active" it picks up all the voice commands (for example album name). As soon as it stops listening, I can't for the life of me get it to work. I always end up saying "xbox", "go back" to close the help thing and only then can I access my album.

Same with Amazon Video, it won't pick up on watch list or video library or any of the titles if it's not active. Hulu same crap.

go back, pause, play etc. usually work, leading me to believe they treat third party commands/dynamic/content differently? Similar to how I need to navigate through 7 pages before I can play episode 21.

"Xbox select" should bring up available voice commands.

Hammer24

Banned
Those look nice. Is there any real noticeable loss in audio quality since they are wireless?

EDIT: So these are not 5.1 surround, does that matter much? I will be using these mostly for gaming.

Sennheiser is pretty much the state of the art when it comes to headphones. Look at the reviews, they´ll agree.

That's when I like to snap TV.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Oh my gawd. This is the first time holding the new controller. It's gorgeous. I prefer the feel and that its lighter.

Bumpers don't feel that bad for me but will have to try out some games.

Orca

So this is a thing with racers? Haven't played NFS in ages, but bs like this immediately puts me off. And none of the other games have any of this garbage.

It's more annoying in NFS than any other racer I've played recently. The constant 'one more thing' stuff made me shut it off and play Resogun the first time I tried it on PS4, and I quit out of the Xbox One version partway through the tutorial to play Powerstar Golf.

Happily, once you're through the tutorial it's pretty much smooth sailing.

I'm having trouble with SkyDrive. I have an account - the same one I use for Xbox Live - with 27 GB of storage, but when I downloaded SkyDrive to the Xbox One and fired it up it just shows the Picture/Video and Shared categories and nothing else. I put photos in both just to be sure, but it doesn't seem to pull anything down from the server. Am I not logged in properly on it or something? I didn't get prompted to log in at all, so I'm assuming it just uses the Live account.

Anyone have an idea on that? Tried it again this morning and it's the same thing. Also, I can't upload clips to Skydrive from the Xbox - it says there's a problem and to try again later. I deleted and reinstalled Skydrive and it did the same thing. I was never prompted to log in with it, was I supposed to be?

ParityBit

Sennheiser is pretty much the state of the art when it comes to headphones. Look at the reviews, they´ll agree.

You convinced me. Bought! Thanks a ton :)

I wanted to play NFS so bad last night, but the wife and baby were trying to sleep on the couch ... so I couldn't really play. Ugh!

Now I can blast it and not care!

Nori Chan

Idk how to even leave it on standby :/ how do you do it?

Because I would be without a PSU for 2-3 weeks and have to pay for postage to Czech Republic myself?

I already bought a replacement (yes bought since these fuckers at Microsoft are so incompetent at everything). Should be coming soon.

What was you request and response? Just curious.

Loginius

Meh,I cant get the green frame from the calibration page to show up...
I own a Thomson 40FR5234 LCD TV and as far as I know the TV gives me no options to resize the image (except for 4:3 16:9 zoom etc.) and the only options on the xbox one are 720p and 1080p the 1360p that worked for me on the 360 is missing :/

Does somebody have an idea how I might be able to fix this?

Astroroot

Banned
Anyone else have AT&T U-Verse, an XBox One and had issues getting their cable box able to be controlled by the XBox One? I have the Motorola VIP1200 cable box and it detects the video signal and I can watch TV through the XBox One but I can't really do any of the cool, conveinent features that makes watching TV through the system cool. I was able to get the XBox One to control and play nice with my Vizio TV so I know it's not the XBox One that is the issue. It tried to send a power command to the cable box and it never worked. I tried moving on to the next command which was sending the Info/Display command which never worked either. Perhaps a compatibility issue with the model of cable box I have? IR signal not getting to my U-Verse box?
Try not using the name of the manufacturer of the box, just use the provider name (U-Verse) for the device type. I had this same issue with my Comcast HD box. When I put in "Cisco" it didn't recognize it, but when I put in "Comcast" it found the right box. Since AT&T, like Comcast, may use different box manufacturers, you may have to cycle through a couple of tests for it to recognize your set top box.

jem0208

Is there any chance of me being able to pick an X1 up in time for Christmas?

I've checked and it seems like pretty much everywhere says it's unlikely to be able to deliver before Christmas day.

I'm in the UK by the way.

REV 09

NFS is terrible. I really dislike the game's structure. It's boring alone, but playing with a group causes frequent disconnects and headaches from host migration. I'd much rather have dedicated modes like Hot Pursuit.

Astroroot

Banned
So I just turned my xbox on, and I tried to play fifa, and it kicks me back to the home/dash/whatever saying fifa took too long to start? Odd?

Mine does the same thing when it loses the wireless connection which is often. Heads up: If you have a spotty Internet connection, Xbox One goes absolutely bonkers. Mine has frozen up on a couple of occasions to the point where I had to cold boot it. Part of the problem is wireless in my house which is horrible and it's not even a big house. I just have one floor on top of the other with no open air where the signal can easily travel without having to go through the floor. It's frustrating.

I just boosted the signal strength from my router, so lets see how it goes.

Chitown B

Mine does the same thing when it loses the wireless connection which is often. Heads up: If you have a spotty Internet connection, Xbox One goes absolutely bonkers. Mine has frozen up on a couple of occasions to the point where I had to cold boot it. Part of the problem is wireless in my house which is horrible and it's not even a big house. I just have one floor on top of the other with no open air where the signal can easily travel without having to go through the floor. It's frustrating.

I just boosted the signal strength from my router, so lets see how it goes.

This works great for anything you need wired for, if you have coax on your house:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EQ4BQG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

My only real (small) issue with this unit is the fan in the power brick. When it's very quiet in the room, I can hear its fan when the One is in instant on mode. No biggie but it's still a little irritating.

NFS is terrible. I really dislike the game's structure. It's boring alone, but playing with a group causes frequent disconnects and headaches from host migration. I'd much rather have dedicated modes like Hot Pursuit.

I don't have that problem at all. My only complaint is about all the cops in the game. They ruin it. You're trying to get some of those missions and BAM!, they are after you and what you were doing previously is lost. Fucking sucks.

Femto.

Just set up my Xbone tonight and everything seems to work fine except for a few things.

1) When I completely turn off my system (cold boot) by holding down the power button and then turn it back on, it is disconnected from my router and I have to set up the wireless connection again. However, if I leave the system on standby, it stays connected when I turn it back on.

Is this normal?

2) If my controller is still on and I completely shut off my system like I explaied in #1, the Xbox will turn itself back on again because the controller is still on. When I turn off the controller before completely shutting off my system, the system stays off.

Again, is this normal?

Or do I have defective unit here?

Thanks in advance for the replies.
It's been a long night.

Bump.
Anyone?

Hammer24

Banned
Bump.
Anyone?

OK, both doesn´t look the way it should be. Things I´d try:
- look what your settings are for the power/off behavior, maybe you choose some options that don´t play nice with each other
- go to network settings -> did you set your box on automatic or manual? My recommendation would be to set it manual, and make sure to open the responding ports on your router. When done, reboot both; the router should be disconnected for at least 30 seconds.
Lets see if this helps. :)

Klocker

I'm finally using my netflix subscription lol since I can now seamlessly switch between it, tv and games...before I never used it because it was like logging into an entirely different system just to watch... I imagine the same is true for any subscribed services... brilliant !

the best thing about Smart glass is being able to show mates my uploaded videos from my phone without having to be at my place - seeing my uploaded videos on the run is so amazing, but such a shame MS hid it so deep in the smartglass UI that so few people know you can actually do this!

nbraun80

Anyone else having some trouble with account sign-in with multiple accounts on one system? We had Kinect recognition sign-in turned on but once my buddy walked in the room and I was playing KI survival mode and it signed him in and went to the home screen and ended my game. It also seemed to mix up me and my buddy alot even after having it recognize us again many times, saying it will do better. But even after turning the auto sign-in off and we have all 3 signed in at the top it like to change the 'active' profile a lot like someone said 'show my stuff' even though no one did. This is especially annoying when playing FIFA together because the save is on my name and so I can't save the game until I go out and make mine the active one on the home screen again.

Top Bottom