• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Femto.

OK, both doesn´t look the way it should be. Things I´d try:
- look what your settings are for the power/off behavior, maybe you choose some options that don´t play nice with each other
- go to network settings -> did you set your box on automatic or manual? My recommendation would be to set it manual, and make sure to open the responding ports on your router. When done, reboot both; the router should be disconnected for at least 30 seconds.
Lets see if this helps. :)

Checked my power settings and nothing seems to be conflicting.

I haven't tried to resolve the internet issue yet as I am limited on time and will have to try tonight.

Thanks for the suggestions, will update you when I can.

I noticed my left bumper feels different than my right pumper. It doesn't click as much. Is this a common problem with day one controllers? I can live with it, I just don't want it to get worse.

Feeroper

Idk how to even leave it on standby :/ how do you do it?

Depending on what part of the world you are in its the default. Under the system menu and power you can change it between instant on (standby) or energy saver (off) for when it powers down. On instant on you can tiurn the system on with your voice (Xbox on!) and it downloads updates while off. In energy saver you can't turn it on with Kinect nor does it download updates, but it draws less power in this state.

If standby is on your power supply unit will have a white light on like when the console is on, and if powered off the PSU light is orange.

I'm paranoid myself about keeping it in standby as it draws about 15 watts and the PSU is slightly warm to the touch in this state, but maybe my fear is irrational so, so I thought I'd see what others are doing.

Hawk269

In Stand By mode, it says it will automatically download any update for games, dash etc. Is there a screen to see what it has downloaded?

Also, where is that screen that shows how many people are playing each game. The guy that got his Xbox One early posted a shot, but I cannot find it.

Lima

What was you request and response? Just curious.

I was very polite if that is where you wanna go with this.

The support told me that they only do the advance exchange for the console itself.

For any of the accessories they will provide an address for you to send it to and you have to pay for the postage to CZ Republic which is half what a new PSU costs from MS.

Then it takes anywhere from 2-3 weeks to get it back. All that time I'm left without a working console.

This how it is handled in Europe. Can't speak for the US.

Anyone else have an issue with the headset not working for chat sometimes?
I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software issue, but occasionally my headset won't work with any controller for chat.

Alx

Showed my bosses Skype calling on the One, got the go ahead to buy two for the office!

That's cool I suppose, but how did you convince him that it was better than a cheap laptop with a webcam ? I know my boss would have preferred a cheaper Skype setup (and one that can run Powerpoint). :p

statham

I fixed my issue with the face recognition, I deleted my account and re downloaded it and went through the kinect set up again. everything works much better. I can use my hands now to control the dash, before I could only use the controller or speech.

Got a good few rounds of BF4 in the other night and this afternoon. Had great fun. What wasn't fun was when my battery died during the game and I had to scramble for the USB cable. Not having a low battery indicator was a strange thing for MS to overlook.

I fixed my issue with the face recognition, I deleted my account and re downloaded it and went through the kinect set up again. everything works much better. I can use my hands now to control the dash, before I could only use the controller or speech.
You can have the Kinect relearn your face by going to the sign in page and selecting "I was not recognized" btw

IRQ

Banned
I bought a movie and a game from X1 USA store with my European credit card. The game works and the payment has been charged. The movie didn't work and the payment is pending. The message I get when trying to view the movie is : Sorry, you can't stream videos or music outside your region.

Xbox support didn't have a solution for the problem and can't cancel the payment either. Is there a way around this issue? The only thing that comes to my mind is a US VPN. Or move to USA :)

What is your take on the this guys?

Thanks

Bump.
Anyone?

Can't help you with #1 since I'm a wired-only kind of person, but why not power off the system using the controller Guide button? Just hold it down and it gives you the option on-screen to shut the system down, thereby shutting the controller off, too. Never had that happen to me, but I don't use the power button on the system and prefer to use Kinect voice command instead.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I'm 48% installed on Killer Instinct. How much % do I need before I can start playing?

I wish you could see the transfer speeds for downloads like you could on the PS3. I hate not knowing how quick or slow the downloads are.

It's done like 1.6GB in 3 hours. It really should have downloaded the full 3.2GB in that time based on my connection.

The only way it works for me is with a slight pause. "Xbox....on".

Yeah, the voice command for powering up from standby is picky about pronunciation and how much space is there between terms spoken. I have to specifically shape my statement in a way that is more controlled than normal voice commands.

Got a good few rounds of BF4 in the other night and this afternoon. Had great fun. What wasn't fun was when my battery died during the game and I had to scramble for the USB cable. Not having a low battery indicator was a strange thing for MS to overlook.

It obviously varies game to game but i've noticed the impulse triggers stop vibrating when the battery is low (something I noticed in Ryse the other day) might be a little tip that helps you although I guess it depends if Battlefield uses them at all

Astroroot

Banned
Yeah, the voice command for powering up from standby is picky about pronunciation and how much space is there between terms spoken. I have to specifically shape my statement in a way that is more controlled than normal voice commands.
And you almost always have to be standing up. However, "Xbox turn off" works 99% of the time.

I felt stupid this morning though. I yelled "Xbox On" like 10 times before I remembered that due to the storms on the east coast last night that the power went out for a bit during the night.

StUnNeR H2K

So I've been having issues with my controller staying connected. Swapped it (controller) with a new one at the Microsoft Store (they had an extra Day One controller in the back, or the guy pulled it from a new box). This didn't solve the problem, so this morning I take the entire console back assuming I'm going to have to send it off then pick up a new on later... Nope guy goes back brings an entire NEW Day One box and exchanges the console.

I asked "What about all the saved content on the console?", and he didn't know of anyway to get them off, nor how it worked. I assumed most everything was saved on the Cloud, but didn't realize HOW MUCH until I turned on the new One (and the controller works perfectly fine now), and ALL my gameclips were right back on the box, which now I assume are all saved locally then sent to the cloud for backup.

Finally get to enjoy the console in my living room since the controller will reach. I have a weird setup where the console is not in line of sight (its behind the wall the TV is hanging on in a cabinet), and the 360 worked fine in it thus why I was surprised my original XBOX One wasn't working. No more randomly dying in Ryse or wrecking into walls since the controller says connected now!

Lima

I bought a movie and a game from X1 USA store with my European credit card. The game works and the payment has been charged. The movie didn't work and the payment is pending. The message I get when trying to view the movie is : Sorry, you can't stream videos or music outside your region.

Xbox support didn't have a solution for the problem and can't cancel the payment either. Is there a way around this issue? The only thing that comes to my mind is a US VPN. Or move to USA :)

Thanks

Yeah you need a VPN. Certain apps and xbox video and music still need you to match your console region to your IP.

Stuff like that they just can't get around because of license issues.

Since what you did is against their ToS I'm not surprised support couldn't help you.

If I were you I either would use a VPN or suck it up. Don't call your credit card company to cancel the payment as that could lead to MS locking your account.

I'm 48% installed on Killer Instinct. How much % do I need before I can start playing?

I wish you could see the transfer speeds for downloads like you could on the PS3. I hate not knowing how quick or slow the downloads are.

It's done like 1.6GB in 3 hours. It really should have downloaded the full 3.2GB in that time based on my connection.
I'm pretty sure it needs to be 100% before you start playing.

IRQ

Banned
Yeah you need a VPN. Certain apps and xbox video and music still need you to match your console region to your IP.

Stuff like that they just can't get around because of license issues.

Since what you did is against their ToS I'm not surprised support couldn't help you.

If I were you I either would use a VPN or suck it up. Don't call your credit card company to cancel the payment as that could lead to MS locking your account.

Thanks for your help bro.
I will not cancel the payment, But will MS do? Or will it be hanging as pending?

Any suggestions regarding a VPN solution? :)

biRdy

Should work after 50% you'll get a notification once its ready to play.

Nori Chan

Depending on what part of the world you are in its the default. Under the system menu and power you can change it between instant on (standby) or energy saver (off) for when it powers down. On instant on you can tiurn the system on with your voice (Xbox on!) and it downloads updates while off. In energy saver you can't turn it on with Kinect nor does it download updates, but it draws less power in this state.

If standby is on your power supply unit will have a white light on like when the console is on, and if powered off the PSU light is orange.

I'm paranoid myself about keeping it in standby as it draws about 15 watts and the PSU is slightly warm to the touch in this state, but maybe my fear is irrational so, so I thought I'd see what others are doing.
So how will it get to standby mode? Should I leave the option to turn off Xbox one after x hours of inactivity off or what?

ChrisV

Already went through the batteries that came with the Xbox for the controller. I can't decide if I should get the play and charge kit, or just get some Eneloops. What do you guys recommend?

Also, I finished Ryse, and I'm looking to sell it if anyone on here is interested. I can sell it for $45 shipped to you. Let me know. It's just going to collect dust here.

Ah yiss now my PSU is silent. Thanks to some good old duct tape. Just cover the whole thing with it.

The fan in this thing is completely useless, to the point where I want to open it up and get rid of the fan entirely (can't find any screws though). I did this yesterday, the console has been in Instant On all night and I've played 5 hours with it today already and the PSU is as cool as it was before. So the fan is clearly not needed and was only added for safety reasons (I mean they put a fan in the Kinect, stay cool Xbox).

Still annoys me. The first 360 PSU's didn't have a fan at all. This changed with the introduction of the slim and with it came a PSU with a fan which for many people was louder than the console itself. The same thing now happens with the Xbox One. Can't believe they spent all this time to make the system as quiet as possible and then cheapen out on the fan in the PSU. Smh Microsoft.
Same here my PSU is pretty loud too and support told me to send it in which could take up to 3 weeks to fix. But they also told me that in the near future the advance shipping stuff would be put up for peripherals and accessories so I just threw my PSU into a compartment of my TV cabinet and closed the door on it. Still can hear the damn thing a bit at night, but it's way better.

Just gonna keep an eye out on the support page till they get non-dumb about non-console replacements.

Lima

Already went through the batteries that came with the Xbox for the controller. I can't decide if I should get the play and charge kit, or just get some Eneloops. What do you guys recommend?

Eneloops, that is not a question really. Go for it. They get drained a little quicker than in the 360 controller which I guess is due to the new rumble triggers.

shandy706

I've had 3 friends over this week that got to mess with my X1. Two on Sunday and one on Monday (to watch football on both occasions). All three ordered their own X1 since then, lol.

One of the 3 is a HUGE car nut and really liked Forza 5 the other 2 were actually blown away by the Media Center controls and also wanted to play Call of Duty (I don't have CoD). Crazy that the media center stuff (well, not really "crazy") was enough to sell them on the system.

Prine

Banned

Thanks

Perhaps change your dns in dashnoard to point to american services?

unblockus.com allows you to sign up for free trial

oVerde

Banned
So.. bought Ryse and Killer Instinct.
Should I buy Dead Rising and Forza, or they don't deserve the 60$ price tag?
nvm, just bought them both :p

Dead Rising is an absolute blast.

Have you played the older DR games? If you didn't like those you probably won't like this one either. If you're a fan of the older games you'll love this one.
Can't talk about Forza, got my copy today and am DLing the update atm.

thanks! loved DR2 and probably will love DR3 too :)

Mononoke

Banned
Powerstar Golf is amazing. So much fun. If you want something laid back and is fun, $20 is a great price. I also just bought Battlefield 4 since I don't have any FPS. I hope I don't regret it (I do expect there to be crash's, I know about that).

Still loving my Xbox One. I have a PS4, and I haven't had the urge to switch back. Having too much fun with Ryse + Dead Rising 3 + Killer Instinct.

So.. bought Ryse and Killer Instinct.
Should I buy Dead Rising and Forza, or they don't deserve the 60$ price tag?

Have you played the older DR games? If you didn't like those you probably won't like this one either. If you're a fan of the older games you'll love this one.
Can't talk about Forza, got my copy today and am DLing the update atm.

Are you sure you set the correct standby mode in the power settings

Yeah, it was working fine since day one, didn't change a thing then it just stopped working (around the time it was downloading Killer Instinct while in standby mode). But it's all good now.

BDP

Neo Member
Im still having latency issues with live. Maybe it's just my location. Every other device on my house pulls less then 20 on a ping. With xbox live in pulling 100!

Top Bottom