• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

So.. bought Ryse and Killer Instinct.
Should I buy Dead Rising and Forza, or they don't deserve the 60$ price tag?
nvm, just bought them both :p

thanks! loved DR2 and probably will love DR3 too :)

I hadnt touched my 360 in months but this combo of games has caused me t be up until 3am playing xbox one every night since launch night

you have been warned

cool_dude

Banned
Waiting for my BF4 copy to arrive. Used Skype last night with three friends, works great. I like the zoom but also noticed how wide the Kinect lens is now. Neat.

Phreaker

IAlso, where is that screen that shows how many people are playing each game. The guy that got his Xbox One early posted a shot, but I cannot find it.

Heh, I looked everywhere for that screen and could not find it. I assume it was not in the "day one patch", maybe it was being used for testing, or is a feature we will see in the future? If it's in there somewhere and I can't find it I'd like to know.

This screen:

Xbox-Live-Games-640x349.png

lol, haven't slept well yesterday, when mine arrived.. I hear you.

for me its mostly killer instinct because I can be like "ok 1 more match" at 1 am and then be like "ok 1 more win" at 3 am
the other games are good too though, only played some of dead rising 3 and it seems like the best in the series so far. I wasn't a huge fan of the first two (monotonous save me quests) but this one fixes the problems of the first two while making the game deeper imo.

its good the launch games are so much fun no new games I want till Watch Dogs/Quantum Break hit stores and neither have release dates

BondFancy

FFCDYWal.jpg

I made this in the spirit of getting my Xbox One tonight, it is quite the beautiful work of art if I do say so myself. The duality of Xbox and its games!

Heh, I looked everywhere for that screen and could not find it. I assume it was not in the "day one patch", maybe it was being used for testing, or is a feature we will see in the future? If it's in there somewhere and I can't find it I'd like to know.

This screen:

You can get to this screen from the Games thing, but it doesn't show players. I wonder if publishers were like "no".

Dead Rising 3 is awesome.
I agree. However my main criticism is that the markers suck. Once you get close to one it disappears and often it's a tiny thing you have to find. I then have to run away and try and work out where it is again. Really wish that didn't happen.

Also, if I unlock a combo category, I still have to find the actual blueprints to forge the item right?

danwarb

Xbox Fitness is a killer app. They should be pushing this more than they are. There's a lot of free content with Gold. Kinect works well, and surprisingly it can really detect your heart rate.
I agree. However my main criticism is that the markers suck. Once you get close to one it disappears and often it's a tiny thing you have to find. I then have to run away and try and work out where it is again. Really wish that didn't happen.

Also, if I unlock a combo category, I still have to find the actual blueprints to forge the item right?

That marker thing caught me out when I was looking for a Tarot card. Once I realised the thing I was looking for hadn't also disappeared, it wasn't so bad.

Bgamer90

Banned
You can get to this screen from the Games thing, but it doesn't show players. I wonder if publishers were like "no".

Maybe... now that I'm thinking about it, if a game didn't have that many players shown then it would possibly push the person viewing the menu to not play (or buy) the game.

Im still having latency issues with live. Maybe it's just my location. Every other device on my house pulls less then 20 on a ping. With xbox live in pulling 100!

gotta be a router or ISP issue. what ping do you get to other sites like google.com or Microsoft.com?

Xbox Fitness is a killer app. They should be pushing this more than they are. There's a lot of free content with Gold. Kinect works well, and surprisingly it can really detect your heart rate.

That marker thing caught me out when I was looking for a Tarot card. Once I realised the thing I was looking for hadn't also disappeared, it wasn't so bad.

yeah it's annoying. had the same issue. it doesn't seem to be visible on the mini map either. once you're close, it's like it's gone completely.

sangreal

The marker disappears because it turns into a shaded circle indicating you have to find the item within the circle

Yes, unlocking a combo category just means you can substitute items. So instead of needing a sledgehammer for example, you just need any blunt weapon

Anyone who wants to add me:
Kumarum on XBL

And err...watching Sleepy Hollow on full HD

Also, 95% success rate with Indian accent

Also, any way to stream media from my PC to the XB1?

Timu

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-call-of-duty-ghosts-next-gen-face-off

"Owners of Microsoft's new console aren't treated to the same level of quality in this area. 720p - also featuring the same post-process anti-aliasing - is confirmed, which is then upscaled to 1080p by the console before arriving on your TV screen. On top of that, a strong sharpening filter is also applied over the entire 720p image, encompassing both in-game imagery along with the HUD elements and even the main menu screens. Based on the fact that we're seeing something very similar in Killer Instinct and Dead Rising 3, we have a feeling that this may actually be part of the Microsoft upscaling solution - and we don't like it.

The end result isn't a particularly pretty sight: harsh edges are further accentuated over the additional jaggies created by the upscaling, while fine details, foliage, and the surface of water all appear quite grainy in comparison to the PS4 and PC versions. It's a crushing step down from the PS4's much clearer 1080p presentation, taking away some of the finesse expected from a next-generation product, but thankfully it's also something that you can opt out of.

While there's nothing you can do to increase the native resolution of the Xbox One game, it is possible to disable the sharpening filter by switching the console's output resolution to 720p. With that in mind it's rather baffling as to why Microsoft would choose to bork image quality in such a way by default, especially considering that we actually see more detail resolved when the unmolested 720p output is upscaled by our display - though your screen may (or may not) add a frame or two of processing lag to carry out its own upscaling calculation. Perhaps the team behind the Xbox One hardware thought that the sharpened look might help to hide the deficit in resolution, but in truth it does more harm than good."

I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing this when I play and take screenshots of DR3 and KI.

Vestal

Fyi something interesting if you setup a kids account and they are logged in the system, it will block all mature content across the system. Noticed last night that the store wasn't showing games like Ryse, BF4 and COD. Thought there was an issue but it was simply that my daughter had been in the living room earlier in the day and the system still had her signed on.

you can set a pass code to input when you wish to enter mature content while their account is logged in.

Razdek

Banned
Powerstar Golf is amazing. So much fun. If you want something laid back and is fun, $20 is a great price. I also just bought Battlefield 4 since I don't have any FPS. I hope I don't regret it (I do expect there to be crash's, I know about that).

Still loving my Xbox One. I have a PS4, and I haven't had the urge to switch back. Having too much fun with Ryse + Dead Rising 3 + Killer Instinct.

Same here, have a PS4 as well and have barely gone back to it since I got the Xbox One except for a few sessions of AC IV. Don't think PSN will even be up over the weekend since the rest of the world is coming online so It'll be a Xbox One weekend.

So to everyone that played Ryse, did you like it? The game wasn't GOTY but I thought it was pretty awesome. It just seemed like good fun, interesting concept and the graphics are just jaw dropping.

What did you guys think?

Chitown B

So to everyone that played Ryse, did you like it? The game wasn't GOTY but I thought it was pretty awesome. It just seemed like good fun, interesting concept and the graphics are just jaw dropping.

What did you guys think?

I keep hearing people would've liked it better if it were about $30 basically. Too short and gimmicky, but still fun.

What did you guys think?

I saw a guy streaming it yesterday. It looked like he wasn't having any fun and after a while he just straight up said "This game is just not fun".

What did you guys think?

Looking at the Ryse thread, it seems you are far from being alone in this. Seems quite a number of other people have enjoyed the game as well.

Ryse is a must buy for anyone IMO. The wow factor is there in spades and the gameplay isn't bad at all. Very solid game and really hope it gets a sequel.

Cosign. I was very shocked to play the game and realize that it is very good and will melt your face it looks so good. Makes me question the reviews...

And this is just a small sample of what people have been saying.

I was accidentally sent Ryse instead of Dead Rising 3 and I'm glad it happened. The game is pretty fun and nowhere near as bad as some of the reviewers make out. If I hadn't have been sent it in error I never would have given it a chance.

Damn near beat it now and critics be damned. I really enjoyed it. Now to finish up.

Really loving the One still. Ryse is excellent, dont agree with the reviewers on that one. It's graphically stunning as well. Huge leap over what we had last gen and it's a launch title.

Sadly I've not had much time with DR3 yet will get stuck into that once I'm done with Ryse.

Powerstar Golf is a nice change of pace that I throw on for an hour here and there.

Only issue I've had is the Xbox not always signing me straight in when I power it on

So tempted to go all digital with the ease of jumping from game to game. Can see that MS was onto something with that model

It's even passed the girlfriend test, she loves the voice navigation when we are using Netflix

2 hours in and I really enjoy it. No idea why it was received so bad. :eek:

all three games I got, to me are must haves.

Ryse, DR3, and KI.

The reviewers were smoking crack when reviewing ryse, that's the only explanation I can come up with.

Dead Rising 3 is a lot of fun. I ended up restarting after the second chapter because I felt like I was missing stuff.

I've enjoyed the hell out of Ryse. Already doing a second play through. The Gladiator mode has been really fun too. It's basically a beat em up and I don't have a issue with that. I guess I'm just not as jaded as some people are. Ryse really made me excited about how a Gears game could look on the X1.

Forza looks really nice also. I really like the impulse rumble in the triggers. It's really the first innovation in rumble in a while. I do think if I had followed the changes and lack of standard features I would have skipped buying it. I figured it would be more the same so I bought the CE. I would actually recommend Need for Speed over Forza. I picked it up on the PS4 and it is solid and a lot of fun.

I also bought the $39 Ultimate KI pack. I kinda regret it a bit but I haven't played much of it either.

I'm really impressed with the build quality of the hardware. My only gripes are I still don't care about the TV stuff, UI feature issues, and the microtransaction stuff worries me. That said I can ignore the mt as long as the game progression and features don't suffer.

Get Ryse. Beautiful game, good fun. End of story.

I've been reading the hell out of gaf poster impressions since I don't have an xbox one just yet.

PhatSaqs

Banned

This screen:

You can get there thru store/games. It shows total friends playing tho instead of total players ever.

GravyButt

I bought a ps4 on launch and told myself no, only one console. Gosh damnit I want a xbox one so damn bad for some reason right now. Someone help!

Ps: anyone know when bestbuy.com plans on adding more stock?!

Cru

I bought a ps4 on launch and told myself no, only one console. Gosh damnit I want a xbox one so damn bad for some reason right now. Someone help!

Ps: anyone know when bestbuy.com plans on adding more stock?!

I'm kinda regretting my ps4 purchase. Haven't touched it since the Xbox released.

GravyButt

I'm kinda regretting my ps4 purchase. Haven't touched it since the Xbox released.

Really? Im not regretting it, but I think ive spent more time this week looking at best buy for xbox ones rather than playing ps4. Im relegated to best buy though. I have a $200 gift card sooooo

Phreaker

Xbox Live seems to be down at the moment

Whew, I thought it was on my end. I just keep getting:

There was a problem
We couldn't sign you in. Try again in a few minutes, or check your account by signing in to account.live.com. Sign in: 0x87DD0006

Then I get some notification about signing in with the controller so I try that and get the same thing.

You can get there thru store/games. It shows total friends playing tho instead of total players ever.

Thanks guys - hi PhatSaqs! I'll check it out when Live is back up.

So i ordered a xbone. Will keep it until next year and sell it for a ps4 when it becomes more available and has more games. Prolly when infamous releases

Until then killer instinct here i come

Lima

So this is basically always online no? If I can't sign into my account, get my achievements, use my save then a game is useless...

You can sign in to the console, just like you could on the 360. Just not connect to Live. All your saves are also stored as a local copy on the HDD so you can play without an Internet connection. The only thing that doesn't pop is achievements if you are offline. Next time you go online, they pop up though. This along with the non user accessible saves is to prevent gamerscore cheating.

Cartman86

Banned
You can sign in to the console, just like you could on the 360. Just not connect to Live. All your saves are also stored as a local copy on the HDD so you can play without an Internet connection. The only thing that doesn't pop is achievements if you are offline. Next time you go online, they pop up though. This along with the non user accessible saves is to prevent gamerscore cheating.

I was trying to log in and it wouldn't. Do you have to unplug the network tap to get it to let you?

Top Bottom