• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Special C

Well I contracted the Flu at the start of the week. Really sucks, but I had a week of sick days built up so on the bright side I've been wearing out my Xbox! Finally getting over it at least.

I bought 2 Xbox One's, both are extremely silent. For kicks I just turned the TV all the way down and cannot hear a thing. If I put my ear up next to the system I can hear the fan just slightly, if I move a foot away I can just barely make out fan noise, anything I'd say beyond a foot and a half It's dead silent, I hear absolutely nothing but me breathing.

The noise is quite enough not to bother me, but now I'm paranoid. Should I phone MS?

Ended up just getting the $699 bundle at microsoftstore.com :D I already have DR3 and couldn't decide on 2 games since I hate sports, ended up with Ryse and Forza.

Hey folks, I scored an Xbox One last night and mine has a broken disc drive out of the box. I tried the fix in this thread (the banging on the bottom of the box fix) and it did not work.

However, I have more bad news.

They offered me the "advance exchange program," and they were not able to give me my free game today. The system that generates the free game codes is down. The rep mentioned that there has been some fraud with people calling in claiming their Xbox Ones had faulty disc drives just trying to get the free game code and that the system was down for now. He said he would set a reminder every day at 10:00 a.m. to check and see if the system was back up and send me a code when it started working again.

If anybody in the U.S. is able to get a code today (Black Friday), let me know and I'll call back and see if I can get my code today. It sucks having an Xbox One sitting here but not being able to play it.

The noise is quite enough not to bother me, but now I'm paranoid. Should I phone MS?

If your getting more noise then what others are reporting (such as myself), I would call MS. It sounds like you may have a loose fan, and if this is the case it's only going to get worse.

This is just the perfectionist in me talking. I ordered a dehumidifier a couple months back for my theater room, when I received it from Amazon the bucket had a crack in it, so Amazon sent me another one. The second dehumidifier I received was WAY louder then the first (it was the fan, it was clearly "looser" then on the first one I received), so I simply kept the first one, switched out the buckets, and sent the new one back to Amazon. Not every machine is made identical, my guess is the reports of louder Xbones were made in a different factory then from the ones that are quieter? Just a guess though.

Look at the PS4, the PS4's that are having problems were made in a factory in China, the PS4's made in Japan all seem to be fine with no reported problems from what I been reading.

God I hate the microsoftstore's online checkout. I accidentally used the same credit card I did my shopping on and it went $100 over my limit because of this bundle. I tried calling MS to change the CC to charge because you can't do that online in 2013 it seems.. 4 hour hold time? lol. Thank god I called Chase and they went ahead and approved the charge and won't charge a fee for going over..

Can't wait for my xboner.

Hyunickel

Neo Member

I thought it was fine at first, but reading people boasting about their silent consoles freaked me out. So I just talked to Microsoft support and got the advanced exchange thing. Hopefully the new one is dead silent.

Prophezz

Banned
It's been 10 minutes since playing my order and I feel bad about spending $750 on it lol, but my 12 month live is about to expire and I guess the extended warranty makes the bundle worth it >.>

Lol that's how I felt when I ordered mine last Friday. The great thing is they input your warranty automatically so no action is required (I found this out when I went into my account on Microsoft to add my Xbox One but it was already done). My warranty expires in 2017!

Also, I was live chatting with a CS rep and I mentioned it'd be nice to get it before Thanksgiving (I was set on receiving it after Thanksgiving) but he said keep thinking positive and boom, Wednesday hits and my Xbox One was there when I got home. :)

Definitely pricey but worth it imo.

Hey folks, I scored an Xbox One last night and mine has a broken disc drive out of the box. I tried the fix in this thread (the banging on the bottom of the box fix) and it did not work.

However, I have more bad news.

They offered me the "advance exchange program," and they were not able to give me my free game today. The system that generates the free game codes is down. The rep mentioned that there has been some fraud with people calling in claiming their Xbox Ones had faulty disc drives just trying to get the free game code and that the system was down for now. He said he would set a reminder every day at 10:00 a.m. to check and see if the system was back up and send me a code when it started working again.

If anybody in the U.S. is able to get a code today (Black Friday), let me know and I'll call back and see if I can get my code today. It sucks having an Xbox One sitting here but not being able to play it.

I thought it was fine at first, but reading people boasting about their silent consoles freaked me out. So I just talked to Microsoft support and got the advanced exchange thing. Hopefully the new one is dead silent.

So, out of curiosity, are you in the U.S. and were they able to give you a free copy of a game or did they say you would have to wait? I'm just trying to see if anyone had an experience comparable to mine. I called them this morning around 11:00 Central Standard Time in the U.S. (Texas, Louisiana, Florida, etc, that time zone).

Anion

For the record, this a sound similar to what I'm getting atm, just a bit lower sounding than that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk7aoZQSZRI

Oh....shift. MINE SOUND LIKE THAT!
I sent my friends a video of that sound too while I was playing forza and they thought it was normal.

What should I do Gaf?

Also, what does support do? Send a whole new xbox? Also would I get another Day 1 editon if they want me to send back the whole thing?

oVerde

Banned
One tip for people who would like to record more than 30 seconds gameplay.

Instead of "Xbox, record that" you will call, "Xbox, snap game dvr" and whit it loaded you say "(xbox,) End Clip Now", it will prompt you to choose up to 5min of gameplay and you don't have to "start new clip", it just work
AU7Amsc.gif

Hyunickel

Neo Member
So, out of curiosity, are you in the U.S. and were they able to give you a free copy of a game or did they say you would have to wait? I'm just trying to see if anyone had an experience comparable to mine. I called them this morning around 11:00 Central Standard Time in the U.S. (Texas, Louisiana, Florida, etc, that time zone).

I'm in the UK. They didn't offer me a free title, they said that free games were reserved for folks broken disc drives like yours I think. My problem was a fan noise issue.

C Jones

Yeah I'm getting the same sound. Not enough to annoy me at this point. I'm interested to see if you guys get completely silent systems on your replacements. Don't feel like going through the process if I'm just gonna get one that sounds the same.

Hyunickel

Neo Member
I sent my friends a video of that sound too while I was playing forza and they thought it was normal.

What should I do Gaf?

Also, what does support do? Send a whole new xbox? Also would I get another Day 1 editon if they want me to send back the whole thing?

The advanced exchange program thing has them send a new console to you within 3-5 working days. Then you put your console in the box and send it back to them. They'll put a hold on your card just in case you don't send them your old console within 14 days of you getting the new one.

When working right Xbox One is one of the most silent consoles since the PS1 era. It really is amazing how they turned it around from the 360 which was louder than anything I've ever seen.

Hyunickel

Neo Member
Yeah I'm getting the same sound. Not enough to annoy me at this point. I'm interested to see if you guys get completely silent systems on your replacements. Don't feel like going through the process if I'm just gonna get one that sounds the same.

I talked to two of my friends, and showed them a similar video. They said there's was practically silent. I should be getting the new one in 5 days or so, we'll see how it fairs.

Anion

The advanced exchange program thing has them send a new console to you within 3-5 working days. Then you put your console in the box and send it back to them. They'll put a hold on your card just in case you don't send them your old console within 14 days of you getting the new one.

Ah, okay. Thanks!

Lol that's how I felt when I ordered mine last Friday. The great thing is they input your warranty automatically so no action is required (I found this out when I went into my account on Microsoft to add my Xbox One but it was already done). My warranty expires in 2017!

Also, I was live chatting with a CS rep and I mentioned it'd be nice to get it before Thanksgiving (I was set on receiving it after Thanksgiving) but he said keep thinking positive and boom, Wednesday hits and my Xbox One was there when I got home. :)

Definitely pricey but worth it imo.

How long did it take to ship and what speed did you pick? I just ordered it a hour ago using the 2 day shipping >.> I just hope it comes mid next week.

My motion gaming hating friend, someone who despised the Wii , Move and Kinect 1, is getting the new Kinect Sports day one. He found the demo superb.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
So whats going on with the gamercards? I noticed my one has updated the score but the avatar and games list are the same. Will these be update in the future or they doing away with them?

Also any way to check battery status on the controllers?

I really dig some stuff that Microsoft has introduced but hate how they've removed such simple things which were great on NXE.

I could really, really, really use a DMR in BF4. My sniping has been less than successful.

The DMR is a pretty damn good weapon. Hopefully it's earned its stay for the next Halo, but as a pick up.
..because CE-esque AR/Pistol spawns are hopefully returning.

LNBL

Do you guys think there is a possibility that Microsoft will anounce the Tier 2 countries release date at the VGX? None right..

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
2 black box xbones at target in aurora Colorado at the store on alameda and sable. I'd get one if I had the moolah! Lol

Sanic

I'm pretty upset...the fans stay on when the console is on standby? The console stays hot as well. I don't feel comfortable leaving it like that.

GravyButt

I'm pretty upset...the fans stay on when the console is on standby? The console stays hot as well. I don't feel comfortable leaving it like that.

I just got it today, what do you mean standby? I just hold down the button and click console off. Although that explains why the power brick light is still white? Im lost.

Sanic

I just got it today, what do you mean standby? I just hold down the button and click console off. Although that explains why the power brick light is still white? Im lost.

Yes, that's standby. Power brick stays on, but so do the fans apparently.

What should I do Gaf?

Reading online it sounds like a lot of peoples consoles sound exactly the same. I don't think it's anything serious.

Think I'm going to keep mine as it doesn't bother me.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Must say that I'm really happy with the Xbox One. Really great console.

I picked up my PS4 yesterday with Killzone and after playing Killzone for an hour or so all I could think about was going back to my Xbox One to play Forza & DR3.

For all the talk about graphics Ryse ended up looking better than Killzone.

freefornow

Gold Member
When working right Xbox One is one of the most silent consoles since the PS1 era. It really is amazing how they turned it around from the 360 which was louder than anything I've ever seen.
Agree for the most part. My one caveat is that my power brick can be heard over the console when idling.

Femto.

Try giving your console a custom name. Solved a lot of problems (NAT opens immediately, Smartglass now works) for me.

I did that and it tends to connect more often now but there are times were it takes about 2 minutes to connect to Live/my router after a cold boot.

I'm still having the issue were if I hold the power button on the Xbox to completely turn off the console it doesn't turn off my controller and if I leave the controller on it turns the system back on.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Must say that I'm really happy with the Xbox One. Really great console.

I picked up my PS4 yesterday with Killzone and after playing Killzone for an hour or so all I could think about was going back to my Xbox One to play Forza & DR3.

For all the talk about graphics Ryse ended up looking better than Killzone.

Isn't that the whole point of Ryse is looking good? Not sure why that would be a surprise.

Anyway I got all three next-gen consoles at launch. I played a ton of NBA on PS4 the first week I had that. Finally getting into Resogun as well though I was tepid on it at first. I also have the rest of my multiplats (Injustice, Rivals, FIFA) on PS4 so PS4 is right now playing the role 360 played last gen which is my multiplat console of choice. I bought KZ but I'll be honest that was launch hype.

DR3 is absolutely fantastic fun though. In terms of new games Mario is 1, DR3 is 2 (pretty clear 1 & 2 and gap between them) and then everything else I own is good but a very clear 3+.

I hope Kinect Sports is good. I actually need more good local multi games for PS460.

Top Bottom