• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

SegaShack

How can I fully shut down the console without unplugging it?

Mentioned a few pages ago, but the fans stay on when the console is in standby, and I can't have that.

Go to your settings, there is an option to turn "Stand by Mode" on or off. Turn stand by mode off, this way when you turn off the system, you really turn it off.

xkramz

I need confirmation! Every time I use YouTube and I cough, it brings up voice command on YouTube.

If this is true for everybody else. Then that's bad.

ajim

Picked up my Xbox One yesterday on my lunch break, finally got it set up and am playing Forza 5 whilst it installs, and have Crimson Dragon and Killer Instinct in queue.

First things:
Damn thing is huge. It wasn't fun trying to get this thing tucked away looking neat and tidy with that big power brick either. I do love the light white Xbox logo on the console/controller though - really sexy touch!

Controller is fantastic. I love the matte feel to it, which for me gives it an edge of the Wii U Classic Pro controller.

Forza looks really nice (not as big a leap visually as I was expecting, especially because the scenery looks really dull whilst my car looks gorgeous). The game feels fantastic with the controller and it's little vibrations too.

Still trying to get used to the user interface and how snapping things works (any tutorials on this?), otherwise, I think it looks really nice.

I also never bothered installing Kinect or setting it up for that matter. Any point in doing so?

Very happy with my purchase thus far.

slash3584

Question about downloads and installation:

I bought ac IV on the ms online store on my pc in the morning before going to work.

When i came back the game was in my apps but was not installed, i had to select it and choose install so i assumed the game downloaded and only the installation left, but the "installation" took over 7 hours so I guess it was really downloading the game not just installing.

So if it was downloading, why didnt it start automatically? (Xbox was on standby)

If it was really installing Wtf 7 hours? Can the xbox install games while its on standby?

I wish we could install the entirety of a retail game so a disk is no longer required. I hate swapping disks.

I would go full digital for this very reason if it wasn't for crappy Australian Internet.

Am I suppose to be able to view achievements etc on my iPad with the smart glass app? Everything I click on just says "play on Xbox one"?

Any help would be appreciated.

my new gamerpic is amazing. Did not even know i had downloaded that head.
WsYtQyJ.jpg

LTWheels

Picked up my Xbox One yesterday on my lunch break, finally got it set up and am playing Forza 5 whilst it installs, and have Crimson Dragon and Killer Instinct in queue.

First things:
Damn thing is huge. It wasn't fun trying to get this thing tucked away looking neat and tidy with that big power brick either. I do love the light white Xbox logo on the console/controller though - really sexy touch!

Controller is fantastic. I love the matte feel to it, which for me gives it an edge of the Wii U Classic Pro controller.

Forza looks really nice (not as big a leap visually as I was expecting, especially because the scenery looks really dull whilst my car looks gorgeous). The game feels fantastic with the controller and it's little vibrations too.

Still trying to get used to the user interface and how snapping things works (any tutorials on this?), otherwise, I think it looks really nice.

I also never bothered installing Kinect or setting it up for that matter. Any point in doing so?

Very happy with my purchase thus far.

I think the voice commands of the Kinect is really useful and they work quite well. I especially like the auto login when it detects your face and being able to turn on the console with your voice.

On the front page, the boxes on the right should been some video tutorials.

Alx

Can I use the console without Kinect? I have no place for it.

You can, but you'll be missing many cool features. Maybe you can just hide it behind the TV, so it can hear you even if it can't see you ? That way you may at least have the voice commands and IR blaster.

Nemesis_

Does anyone know if there is an app or program that can use a webcam or camera to read text and then convert that text to a QR code?

I tested a DLC code for Battlefield today - converting it to a QR code and holding that code up to my Kinect works perfectly. To make the process 100% foolproof, I figure it would be awesome if I could use a camera to read text and then input that into the QR code.

I know the technology exists - on iDevices most of the new ones can read iTunes Credit straight off the card using the camera only. Wondering if something exists for any computer just to make redeeming codes easy.

Quoting for the new page. :)

derfybzh

Hi
Ok I get my One last week and there is a trend about XBOX games crashing to XBOX Home and being unable to relaunch them without rebooting my console. Lots of my friend are suffering the same issue.
Question : Is it because of original DRM policies that make the system crash ? Is it because XBOX live is not stable ? Or simply those three games are broken ?
BF4 / Fifa / Call of duty : Keep crashing to XBOX home and its random .
Have no problems with Ryse/ Forza / Dead Rising 3.
If you have a workaround I will be please to read it.
Best Regards

Faith

You can, but you'll be missing many cool features. Maybe you can just hide it behind the TV, so it can hear you even if it can't see you ? That way you may at least have the voice commands and IR blaster.
My 50" TV is on the wall and the TV table is just 40cm high. I think Kinect wouldn't work that way?

ekim

Question about downloads and installation:

I bought ac IV on the ms online store on my pc in the morning before going to work.

When i came back the game was in my apps but was not installed, i had to select it and choose install so i assumed the game downloaded and only the installation left, but the "installation" took over 7 hours so I guess it was really downloading the game not just installing.

So if it was downloading, why didnt it start automatically? (Xbox was on standby)

If it was really installing Wtf 7 hours? Can the xbox install games while its on standby?

It's not downloading remotely bought stuff. I don't know why. Some people here said it does it. But neither DR3 nor ACIV started downloading automatically.

Alx

My 50" TV is on the wall and the TV table is just 40cm high. I think Kinect wouldn't work that way?

40 cm is not ideal (60 cm is recommended), but it should still work. Mine is barely more than 30 cm high, and it works fine. Anyway it can't work worse than no kinect at all, the only issue is if you're bothered by its presence on your TV table.

Kydd BlaZe

I find myself still addicted to achievement hunting, lol.

Still in love with that little popping sound that occurs whenever an achievement is unlocked.

Some things never change :)

guys having a big problem with multiplayer connections.

Basically, i can use party chat etc but cant connect to any game with friends.

I checked my Nat settings, and it says moderate.

I went to my xbox and set up a static IP address then went to my routers settings and changed the DMZ so it has the source IP address and destination IP address as the same then changed the secondary DNS to 8.8.8.8 as a mate instructed. i get this message:

We are not sure what went wrong - search for error message:
0x1060000040000000

I test online connection, its fine. i test multiplayer, this is what i get.

Can someone help - it still says NAT as moderate (This is with a wired XBL Connection)

anyone know how to change a wired XB1 to Open nat settings? i chatted with MS customer service, they told me to unplug the system then turn it off and on again - that didnt work loL - now they said to check with my ISP - which is shit because my X360 worked all the time.

Marvel

could never
anyone know how to change a wired XB1 to Open nat settings? i chatted with MS customer service, they told me to unplug the system then turn it off and on again - that didnt work loL - now they said to check with my ISP - which is shit because my X360 worked all the time.

I can't go into lots of detail as I am no tech head, but I believe this issue was fixed for a few people here when they gave their Xbox a custom name in their router settings.

Try that if you haven't already. gl.

ShapeGSX

I wouldn't use an app to convert a code to a QR code. There is always a chance it could just redeem the code for the guy who made the app before you get to use the QR code.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I'm completely set, I have all the games I want, rechargeable batteries, and extra controller. Everything except for a compatible headset. I have a set of turtle beaches I got in 2008 that grab audio from the composite cables. That means I can't get audio from an HDMI cord, so I'm stuck waiting until February for the Polk Audio headphones. This is one thing I'm pretty upset about. I want some good headphones..

I can't go into lots of detail as I am no tech head, but I believe this issue was fixed for a few people here when they gave their Xbox a custom name in their router settings.

Try that if you haven't already. gl.

do you have slightly more details on that? it just sucks. XBL works. Party chat works. Cant connect to any game!

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Hi
Ok I get my One last week and there is a trend about XBOX games crashing to XBOX Home and being unable to relaunch them without rebooting my console. Lots of my friend are suffering the same issue.
Question : Is it because of original DRM policies that make the system crash ? Is it because XBOX live is not stable ? Or simply those three games are broken ?
Best Regards

I have a friend who I think has a similar issue when he's playing NBA 2K14. The game freezes, he takes it back to Home, and then the console itself freezes.

Not the exact same issue though because it would tell him loss of network or something and kick him back to Home but he could still get in the game. Other times the game would freeze and he would go to Home but then the console itself would freeze or be unusable until rebooted (for instance he couldn't select stuff within the UI and his controller would only let him turn it off instead of getting the option to turn off the system or controller).

Marvel

could never
do you have slightly more details on that? it just sucks. XBL works. Party chat works. Cant connect to any game!

I wish I did! I'm sorry I know nothing about these things, maybe someone else can elaborate for me but that's what some gaffers have done to fix this problem with NAT.

my xbox is now having random issues where i cant load any game.

I click on it, it starts to load, then ejects me back to the main screen for all games. i had to disconnect the power cable for it to work again. its now started happening all over. Anyone else have this.

Hi
Best Regards

happening to me now. with DR3. then with all games i try to boot.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children

I click on it, it starts to load, then ejects me back to the main screen for all games. i had to disconnect the power cable for it to work again. its now started happening all over. Anyone else have this.

It happened to me a few times, but I didn't have to disconnect the xbox. I just loaded another game, and then went back to the one I was playing originally.

gkryhewy

Loving most aspects of this system.. A few notes/questions:

1. I'm using the cable TV pass-through, and the X1's calibration tool actually resulted in overall improved cable image quality for me- though it does seem a touch softer than when it wasn't being passed through. More calibration options would be good.

2. Is there a way to have music playing in the background, rather than just snapped? Snapping pandora with forza is cool, but losing about half my screen real estate to a mostly empty snap window and letterbox bars isn't.

3. There is apparently no way to turn off multiplayer chat audio from coming through my sound system speakers without connecting a headset. I can turn the kinect mic off, but not the speaker audio. This needs to be fixed- I like playing COD, but i don't like hearing the other troglodytes I'm playing with.

Cru

I've had this happen a couple of times. Wonder when msft is going to start addressing these issues.

Top Bottom