• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
DEjZ0Fq.png

Does anybody know if this is legit? The picture doesn't match the listing, but the description says they're XO Fours that are compatible with the Xbox One.

Here's the link.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
In general, extended warranties aren't a good value.

Yup. The reason being that products people buy are expected to work - even the companies don't intend to ship faulty units, obviously. With that said, the only ever warranty I have ever bought was the Best Buy warranty with the 360. I actually saved money on that one!

Alx

Is there any word on when we will get an OS update to fix some issues?

I don't know if the US got the full 1.2G day one patch, but in Europe we only got a 500M one and we should receive the remaining 700M update "soon" (I've heard december 3rd, but no direct source).

So I just contacted Microsoft about the faint noise my X1 fan/hard drive was making. They said it wasn't normal and are sending out a new machine.

I'll post back here once I compare them.

I guess every machine should pretty much be silent.

Shrennin

So I just contacted Microsoft about the faint noise my X1 fan/hard drive was making. They said it wasn't normal and are sending out a new machine.

Can you describe the noise you were hearing? Was it at start-up? Was it all the time?

Ray Wonder

Mine is very much so.

I don't know if the US got the full 1.2G day one patch, but in Europe we only got a 500M one and we should receive the remaining 700M update "soon" (I've heard december 3rd, but no direct source).
I only downloaded like 600 MBs at launch in the US. Was actually surprised.

Gorki247

Does anyone know if there is an app or program that can use a webcam or camera to read text and then convert that text to a QR code?

I tested a DLC code for Battlefield today - converting it to a QR code and holding that code up to my Kinect works perfectly. To make the process 100% foolproof, I figure it would be awesome if I could use a camera to read text and then input that into the QR code.

I know the technology exists - on iDevices most of the new ones can read iTunes Credit straight off the card using the camera only. Wondering if something exists for any computer just to make redeeming codes easy.

I've been experimenting a bit with this. The problem I encountered is that most DLC codes are in a dot-matrix style typeface; this means it doesn't get recognised as text when scanning it.

At least not with the native OCR scanner on my Windows Phone. Maybe there is an app out there that does a better job, but I have my doubts.

Hopefully they'll include QR codes with all Xbox One codes going forward. Even retailers could offer this; for instance, GAME include a QR code in the mail they sent you when buying digital content.

Shrennin

All the time. It's hard to describe - like a faint scratching noise or fan rubbing slightly. Sounds a bit like an old hard drive when it constantly reads.

Edit: The same as this guy

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ-bRJZXdiU&desktop_uri=/watch?v=BZ-bRJZXdiU

Oh, so it was that loud? I can hear my fan moving, when idle even, but I have to put my ear up to the console to really hear it. It isn't particularly noticeable when I'm a few feet away from it. I just hear a small clicking sound (presumably the fan) when I put my ear up to it directly. RROD has made me extremely paranoid when it comes to Xbox hardware so I just want to make sure my console is fine.

It definitely isn't nearly as noticeable, nor does it really make the same sound, as that Xbox One in the video.

Gorki247

Oh, so it was that loud? I can hear my fan moving, when idle even, but I have to put my ear up to the console to really hear it. It isn't particularly noticeable when I'm a few feet away from it. I just hear a small clicking sound (presumably the fan) when I put my ear up to it directly. RROD has made me extremely paranoid when it comes to Xbox hardware so I just want to make sure my console is fine.

I would think that if you have to put your ear up against the machine to hear a noise, it is hardly a problem. There are moving parts in this machine, so it's always going to make some noise. If you cannot hear it a few feet away you should be ok. At least that's my opinion.

Shrennin

I would think that if you have to put your ear up against the machine to hear a noise, it is hardly a problem. There are moving parts in this machine, so it's always going to make some noise. If you cannot hear it a few feet away you should be ok. At least that's my opinion.

That's what I'm thinking. I'm thinking my Xbox is fine, but like I said, RROD just has me paranoid with new Xbox hardware! =

I mean, I can hear my Xbox One running a few feet away, but my gaming laptop is honestly louder. I don't hear the fan clicking or anything like in that video though. It's basically silent compared to that.

Ray Wonder

That's what I'm thinking. I'm thinking my Xbox is fine, but like I said, RROD just has me paranoid with new Xbox hardware! =

I mean, I can hear my Xbox One running a few feet away, but my gaming laptop is honestly louder. I don't hear the fan clicking or anything like in that video though. It's basically silent compared to that.

I can't hear mine from a few feet away.. At all.. It is 100% silent from that distance. When I put my ear on the top of the box I hear like a flowing airy sound, which is very faint.

Shrennin

I can't hear mine from a few feet away.. At all.. It is 100% silent from that distance. When I put my ear on the top of the box I hear like a flowing airy sound, which is very faint.

Is that when it's idle or even when the system
Is on? I hear what sounds like a clicking sound when I put my ear directly to the box (even when idle) but I can't hear it at all a few feet away. When it's actually on, I can hear it running from a few feet away (but there's really not any machine that I haven't heard running before).

Ray Wonder

Is that when it's idle or even when the system
Is on? I hear what sounds like a clicking sound when I put my ear directly to the box (even when idle) but I can't hear it at all a few feet away. When it's actually on, I can hear it running from a few feet away (but there's really not any machine that I haven't heard running before).

I'll have to try it again when I get home from work just to be sure. I'll PM you the results.

Shrennin

I'll have to try it again when I get home from work just to be sure. I'll PM you the results.

Okay, thanks! I don't want to take any chances while it's still under warranty, but I want to make sure it is working as intended.

Also, this is when no other machine is on in the room my Xbox One is in. When I'm playing a game or something, the Xbox One is not noticeable at all.

Had the same problem. Got a new one from Amazon. Now to insert a potential sacrificial Blu-ray to see if the new one has a disc drive problem....

I'm glad I got it sorted out, I was just going to leave it. Fingers crossed the new machine is silent :/

Any Antonio Banderas films will do. Haha.

Edit: Do I just format my machine once the new one appears since game saves are in the cloudz?

whoa Ryse is 0_o, looks really good and the combat is good, im having fun.

already on chapter 3 and i know its short but that might be a good thing in this case.

surprised really, thought it would be worse.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
You guys are making me paranoid with the noise issue. I can hear mine humming when everything is silent easily but it's not that loud. Seeing some of you say you have to put your ear next to the system to hear it at all is making me wonder.

Maybe I'll call them. lol *shrug*

Majanew

Banned
I've only had one letdown graphically so far and that's Forza 5. It looks kind of meh.

Yep. The aliasing, no AF, no AO, a lot of bad textures, static 2D crowds, really hurt the image. You can't just hit 1080p and call it a day.

Should have went with 900p and added some damn AA.

The lighting looks good when you're racing and are facing the sun. The washed out sun look on the image looks really good.

Shrennin

You guys are making me paranoid with the noise issue. I can hear mine humming when everything is silent easily but it's not that loud. Seeing some of you say you have to put your ear next to the system to hear it at all is making me wonder.

Actually, listening to it now and I can definitely hear mine humming when it's on. I hear a small clicking sound when it's idle when I put my ear directly up to the console (but I guess that might be the fan running on a low power state). Ours are probably fine. Unless you hear that same humming when idle, then that may be a problem.

I'll wait to hear back from sofresh though just to see if he confirms definitely that his machine is completely and utterly silent.

Filler Bunny

Neo Member
Well it seems ive joined the illustrious club of people whos achievements have stopped toasting.

Have never taken the thing offline and i can actually pinpoint the moment it happened. I flipped my car in Forza (which is an achievement) and the game decided to record that particular achievement moment. It toasted that it had recorded that, based on the achievement, but the achievement was never unlocked and after that moment, all toasts no longer work.

The joys of beta i guess...

Hyunickel

Neo Member

Glad they sorted it out for you! Hopefully the new one will be silent. My replacement should arrive sometime next week.

gkryhewy

Well it seems ive joined the illustrious club of people whos achievements have stopped toasting.

Have never taken the thing offline and i can actually pinpoint the moment it happened. I flipped my car in Forza (which is an achievement) and the game decided to record that particular achievement moment. It toasted that it had recorded that, based on the achievement, but the achievement was never unlocked and after that moment, all toasts no longer work.

The joys of beta i guess...

Achievements....toasting?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
whoa Ryse is 0_o, looks really good and the combat is good, im having fun.

already on chapter 3 and i know its short but that might be a good thing in this case.

surprised really, thought it would be worse.

It gets better, chapters IV and V have some serious eye candy.

Mononoke

Banned
Anyone get Lego Marvel? Wondering if it runs at 1080p 60FPS on Xbox One. Can't find anything on it. I mean I know it's Legos, but just curious. I'm guessing the 360 version is 100% the same (so no minor improvements on the next gen ports).

Really want to get Ryse. I was hoping for a good Black Friday deal but I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer than that; I don't see anything good.

derfybzh

happening to me now. with DR3. then with all games i try to boot.

Were you in Party Chat ? I can play Online all day long without being in party chat, but when I try to play with friends online it crashes very often to the Xbox Home. Start to think this new party chat is pure shiit, bring me the good 360 old days !

Gskyace

Got two Xbox One of mine today.
D1 is good, but the other normal one can not read disc. It makes noise.

And I'm not in America. What could I do, I've tried turn it up side down and punch.
Still the same attitude~...

usctrojan

Actually, listening to it now and I can definitely hear mine humming when it's on. I hear a small clicking sound when it's idle when I put my ear directly up to the console (but I guess that might be the fan running on a low power state). Ours are probably fine. Unless you hear that same humming when idle, then that may be a problem.
Mine hums noticeably too but doesn't overpower low volume game audio. My concern is that if the console works I could potentially be trading for something worse. I really wonder if some consoles are literally dead silent. Even the quietest noctua pc fans make some noise up close.

That said I am loving dr3 and ki. For me these two games make the early adoption totally worth it.

Decided to call MS after all of this fan discussion. The guy at customer support said he literally had to put his head near the console to hear it which is definitely not the case for me. I can hear it about 6 feet away even when it just powered up.

Getting a new one sent. Love that you don't have to ship the old one first.

Ray Wonder

Curious as well. I may bite! That's the headset I've been waiting for.

I live chatted with TigerDirect and they said it was in stock. I'm still not convinced. I ordered them, still, I'm expecting to be sending them back because they're not the right pair. It really doesn't make sense how TigerDirect could possibly have them 3 months ahead of time.

Fingers crossed.

Shrennin

Mine hums noticeably too but doesn't overpower low volume game audio. My concern is that if the console works I could potentially be trading for something worse. I really wonder if some consoles are literally dead silent. Even the quietest noctua pc fans make some noise up close.

That's pretty much how mine is. It never really overpowers low game audio, and the clicking sound when it's idle is most likely the fans on low power because I can definitely only hear that when I put my ear right up against the system. The only real scare I had with my Xbox One was initial set-up when I plugged everything in but it wouldn't turn on. I think that was due to the power cord not being completely plugged in to either the console or power brick.

Decided to call MS after all of this fan discussion. The guy at customer support said he literally had to put his head near the console to hear it which is definitely not the case for me. I can hear it about 6 feet away even when it just powered up.

Was yours humming or was it making that loud fan noise like in this YouTube video:

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Anyone know how to disable the store popup for Killer Instinct Classic upon boot of Killer Instinct?

I don't really have the want to download it.

Sanjuro

I live chatted with TigerDirect and they said it was in stock. I'm still not convinced. I ordered them, still, I'm expecting to be sending them back because they're not the right pair. It really doesn't make sense how TigerDirect could possibly have them 3 months ahead of time.

Fingers crossed.

I placed the order doing that $20 off thing. 2-day shipping with a pack of 4 HDMI cables, $100.

If I just got the headset and 2-day it was $110. Free cables!

I'm skeptical, but Turtle Beach tends to have strange releases anyway. Especially geared towards stores like this one.

Hyunickel

Neo Member
That's pretty much how mine is. It never really overpowers low game audio, and the clicking sound when it's idle is most likely the fans on low power because I can definitely only hear that when I put my ear right up against the system. The only real scare I had with my Xbox One was initial set-up when I plugged everything in but it wouldn't turn on. I think that was due to the power cord not being completely plugged in to either the console or power brick.

Was yours humming or was it making that loud fan noise like in this YouTube video:

The video is pretty close to what I'm hearing from mine. Although mine is a bit lower in noise levels.

Top Bottom