• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Thanks!

In general, extended warranties aren't a good value.

I spent $60 on my launch Xbox 360 warranty through Microsoft. They sent me 12 replacements.

I'll be buying the Xbox One warranty as well.

I think, generally speaking, console warranties, especially launch console warranties, are worth the purchase. I think consoles are a little different than other products.

My first PS3 also had a broken disc drive.

Networker

Banned
I really love the follower/following system but they need to add notification emails or something when someone follows you

Yeah, what up with no notification alert system. How could they miss such a small and most useful feature. Do I have to keep checking my friends list to see if any of my friend is online, so stupid.

gogojira

Seriously thinking about trading in Battlefield 4 for Ghosts which is blowing my mind because I haven't bought a CoD in years and the newest one ain't getting rave review. I just need a friggin online shooter, BF4 keeps crashing and the people I played with on 360 aren't really around for squads.

Is Ghosts pretty reliable online? CoD seems to be better suited for flying solo online (or at least not having to coordinate with squads).

Vestal

Had my first game crash last night, go figure it would be a 3rd party game.

NBA 2k14, it happened when it went to a Nike highlight right after a dunk, saw that vertical displayed 0,0 and bam sent to OS screen.

1 gripe though with how the system works in regards to controllers. If you suspend the a game and resume later you must use the same controller you were using. Hope they fix this oversight.

eshwaaz

I can't get my Skydrive video links to work for other people. I can view them, and the links work for me, but friends get an error message. I'm using the 'Sharing > anyone with this view link' option.

Really enjoying the system. Not a single issue to speak of yet. Has anyone found settings for voice commands though? I want a different prefix for commands than "xbox".

Having a great time with Dead Rising and Forza so far, but besides games the Xbox One has surprisingly replaced my Harmony Remote and Apple TV. The voice controls plus installing the SmartGlass app on our phones/tablet has been really great for easily controlling everything. I have even been using the volume control on SmartGlass/Kinect when using my PC through my TV with Steam and such.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Mine makes a humming noise but I thought it was the power brick, you can barely hear it but it's noticeable if the tv is off

Did you send yours back? Or talk to Support and they said it shouldn't even be that loud?

MaulerX

I can't get my Skydrive video links to work for other people. I can view them, and the links work for me, but friends get an error message. I'm using the 'Sharing > anyone with this view link' option.

At least you get that far. My uploaded vids don't show up on my SkyDrive at all. I've been using the "upload and save to SkyDrive" button.

Shrennin

Yep, that's pretty close to mine.

Yeah, that humming noise is close to mine. I ended up calling Support and they told me it should be pretty quiet, not noticeable so they are shipping me a new Xbox One. I must say, Xbox Support rocks.

Starting this Wednesday McDonald's is having a game similar to its monopoly thing to give away XBONEs. You get a chance to win with the quarter ponders, mcwraps, and large fries I think. I'm going to win one hopefully!

slapnuts

I spent $60 on my launch Xbox 360 warranty through Microsoft. They sent me 12 replacements.

I'll be buying the Xbox One warranty as well.

I think, generally speaking, console warranties, especially launch console warranties, are worth the purchase. I think consoles are a little different than other products.

My first PS3 also had a broken disc drive.

I tend to agree but these consoles do automatically come with a 1 year warranty. From my past experience (I am 39 years old) if a console makes it past that 1 year mark...chances are its going to last a long time. I also went to college for electronics, computer repair,etc and with electronics if they have a problem it will show its ugly head quite soon after purchase... in other words if it makes it past that 1 year mark with zero issues...chances are very good it will live a long life. This is the nature of electronics...Still..it is a good idea to buy a warranty if you can afford it..its always better to be safe than sorry.

I tend to agree but these consoles do automatically come with a 1 year warranty. From my past experience (I am 39 years old) if a console makes it past that 1 year mark...chances are its going to last a long time. I also went to college for electronics, computer repair,etc and with electronics if they have a problem it will show its ugly head quite soon after purchase... in other words if it makes it past that 1 year mark with zero issues...chances are very good it will live a long life. This is the nature of electronics...Still..it is a good idea to buy a warranty if you can afford it..its always better to be safe than sorry.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I am 35 years old myself and I rarely buy warranties at all, but considering I went through 12 360's, and the Xbox One is having disc drive and fan troubles, I think the extra 2 years is probably worth the money for me. Not for everybody, but considering my launch PS3 and 360 both had issues, I'm going to buy it. In other words, my experience with consoles is that I've had a ton of trouble with launch consoles, and I think that extra warranty is probably a good deal for me, just in case.

In particular, I've had disc drive problems out of multiple consoles. It seems like they all cheap out on disc drives...in 18 months, if the drive fails, I'll be set to get a replacement. I think the 3 year warranty costs, what, $60? ...I'll probably pick it up in the next week or two.

Defect

Who needs a play and charge kit when you can use an Android phone charger? (Or any other micro USB)

0f84af6f443690ceeea8131df0546768.jpg

Fletcher

MS store was offering a decent offer on an extended warranty and I bit. For $200 I was able to pick up two games, my choice, a year of xbox live, including the one with the Jago thing, and a two year extended warranty.

With the problems I had with the 360? Sure. The lady did tell me that the xbone had a 3 year warranty already. Was she right about that?

Alx

Who needs a play and charge kit when you can use an Android phone charger? (Or any other micro USB)

Do you use it with an empty battery case, or does it also reload rechargeable batteries inside the controller ? Don't charging kits include a regulator of some sort to avoid degrading the batteries ?

Mononoke

Banned
That's pretty much how mine is. It never really overpowers low game audio, and the clicking sound when it's idle is most likely the fans on low power because I can definitely only hear that when I put my ear right up against the system. The only real scare I had with my Xbox One was initial set-up when I plugged everything in but it wouldn't turn on. I think that was due to the power cord not being completely plugged in to either the console or power brick.

Was yours humming or was it making that loud fan noise like in this YouTube video:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ-bRJZXdiU&desktop_uri=/watch?v=BZ-bRJZXdiU

That is definitely not normal. Mine is quiet all the time. Will MS replace your unit for this?

EDIT: I see that they are. Really cool.

Sanic

Ooooh, looks like I have broken fans too. If I stand right up next to the console, I can hear a slight grinding noise that sounds like a hard drive whirring.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I had them send me a replacement as well. Dunno if I'm just being very sensitive with the noise or what but I'll find out testing with the replacement.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Well, I just got my Xbone hooked up after finding one at GameStop yesterday. I managed to pick it up for about $250 after taxes with all my trade ins - mostly Wii games. So far, the system seems to be solid though I haven't played any games yet. The UI is also a lot like the 360's so I'm familiar with it and it seems to work well for navigation. I haven't tried (or even hooked up) Kinect yet.

So here's my question. How long do games take to intall. I mainly bought this for my kids for Christmas along w/COD and it's been installing for over 30 minutes and is only at 4%. I can already see this is going to a problem if they don't get it fixed. Has Microsoft said anything officially about getting install times down or ditching the requirement to install games. That 500GB HDD is gonna run out of room real quick if they don't. Either that or people are going to be very selective about what they decide to play.

Hey folks, I scored an Xbox One last night and mine has a broken disc drive out of the box. I tried the fix in this thread (the banging on the bottom of the box fix) and it did not work.

However, I have more bad news.

They offered me the "advance exchange program," and they were not able to give me my free game today. The system that generates the free game codes is down. The rep mentioned that there has been some fraud with people calling in claiming their Xbox Ones had faulty disc drives just trying to get the free game code and that the system was down for now. He said he would set a reminder every day at 10:00 a.m. to check and see if the system was back up and send me a code when it started working again.

If anybody in the U.S. is able to get a code today (Black Friday), let me know and I'll call back and see if I can get my code today. It sucks having an Xbox One sitting here but not being able to play it.

I just wanted to update this for anyone else who is having this problem. I did not receive an email from Xbox Support this morning, which means that they didn't look at the 10:00a.m. reminder, or that the system is still down. I just called to see if the system that generates game codes for the "free games with broken disc drive" thing, and Xbox support said that they were experiencing heavy call volume, and that it would be approximately 32-42 minutes before I could talk to a rep. Currently on hold. I'm sick at home with nothing else to do, and my Xbox One can't play any of the 4 discs that I bought, so I figured I could at least hold and ask.

I just wanted to update this for anyone else who is having this problem. I did not receive an email from Xbox Support this morning, which means that they didn't look at the 10:00a.m. reminder, or that the system is still down. I just called to see if the system that gives out free games is back up yet, and Xbox support said that they were experiencing heavy call volume, and that it would be approximately 32-42 minutes before I could talk to a rep. Currently on hold. I'm sick at home with nothing else to do, and my Xbox One can't play any of the 4 discs that I bought, so I figured I could at least hold and ask.

Thank you for the update. Keep us posted. Not affected by any console problems myself.

kmg90

According to the Eurogamer article on getting support for Xbox One.... People with problematic Xbox One systems have express priority when calling support..

Are you getting priority support or does the priority support have 30-42 minute wait?

If I wonder how many owners are having issues with the Xbox One working properly...

Going to ask again and hope someone is also having issues. Anyone use Xbox Music and have a subscription? Running into an error code on a lot of my music now. I'm wondering if the Xbox One isn't recognizing my subscription properly(if you aren't subscribed you get 5 free plays of any song) as it seems my most played music is what is becoming unplayable.

Error code 0xc101a053

zychi

Banned
Weird problem, when I have kinect running, it prevents my wireless surround sound from connecting to the receiver, it basically kills all other IR functions in the room, including my tv remote. there's no fix for this is there? I may just disconnect the kinect all together at this point.

Shrennin

That is definitely not normal. Mine is quiet all the time. Will MS replace your unit for this?

EDIT: I see that they are. Really cool.

Yeah, I had more of the humming sound - not really the chirping sound - but I was reading that the One should pretty much be absolutely quiet and mine was not. I just don't want to take any chances and might as well make sure mine is working correctly while under warranty.

With that said, extremely pleased with Microsoft Xbox Customer Support. For those having long wait times - the call mentioned that they were experiencing a high volume of calls but I was talking to someone within 10 minutes.

Top Bottom