• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

m23

The more I play the One, the more I'm ready to bail out.

Voice control is nice until you start to realize that it's making the UI needlessly complex and the novelty of it begins to wear off. It's hard to describe, but I'm laying on my couch watching football and I'd genuinely just prefer to change the channel via remote than open my mouth. It's an odd thing coming from someone who genuinely was really excited about the entertainment features for the One.

I find myself constantly wondering what it is that I have that's worth 500 dollars. The visuals are simply a disaster of epic proportions given the system scaler and artifiical sharpening along with an ancient GPU from go and I honestly can't express myself in words how much the party and chat issues are killing my interest in using this thing for multiplayer purposes.

Hyperbole much.

That's one game though.

And don't get me wrong, this isn't some endorsement of PS4--I'm not a fan at all of Sonys offerings at present.

Forza looks pretty damn good too... in motion. Killer Instinct isn't graphically impressive but quite fun, and I'd say the same for Dead Rising 3. Based on what we've seen of Ryse, though, the console has a ton of potential for shiny graphics, so I'm not worried at all.

Third party games are the main worry of course, but I may still end up getting some on Xbox One because that's where my friends are playing and maybe to play some exclusive content first (CoD, BF4, The Division etc...)

oVerde

Banned
I'm kinda happy that Ryse seems to have "tanked".
No gameplay, all graphics, all Crytek. Hopefully Todd Papy's experience with actual good games can rub off on the Crytek team a little with the sequel, if it even gets one.
Playing Ryse was far more exciting than I expected, the game had such good lore and narrative that kept me cringing for me, and on harder difficulties the Gameplay went from meh to far good too. The visuals? Well I've watched more videos than I should so I was all over spoiled, but that engagement wasn't expected.

ParityBit

The PS4 has like three or four huge threads from the different releases. Xbox one has, well, one.

Why are you still in this thread trying to churn up a console war. We don't want any of it and I am surprised that a mod has not stepped in to address it with you.

Back on topic:
Has MS said anything about the first patch for the system?

Playing Ryse was far more exciting than I expected, the game had such good lore and narrative that kept me cringing for me, and on harder difficulties the Gameplay went from meh to far good too. The visuals? Well I've watched more videos than I should so I was all over spoiled, but that engagement wasn't expected.

What surprised me was the multi-player arena mode. I love it. I can see why some would find it repetitive, but linking together combos give the mode a lot of depth. I liken it to the experience I had with NiGHTS back on the Sega Saturn. As you learn the scenarios, you learn how to extend the combos which increases experience/gold to get the fancy loot. It's great fun.

hwalker84

Loving my Xbox One (got back from Japan Saturday night). A few questions in the time I put in.

1.) Is there no way to see the battery level on your controller?
2.) No way to view/manage storage space?
3.) How do you eject a disc from the dashboard? I inserted a bluray to make sure my disc drive worked and I couldn't figure out a way to eject it from the dashboard.

Loving my Xbox One (got back from Japan Saturday night). A few questions in the time I put in.

3.) How do you eject a disc from the dashboard? I inserted a bluray to make sure my disc drive worked and I couldn't figure out a way to eject it from the dashboard.

No, no, and not sure actually. I went all digital. The battery issue is SOOOOOOO annoying.

hadareud

The Translator

You're going to be disappointed with all three answers, I think.

Well I'm not sure about the third one, but I don't think you can.

Nintyb

Banned
According to Major Nelson, you have to say "Xbox Bing" "show me game demos". That is dumb as hell. Can someone look real quick that is not at work/school and tell me if Need for Speed is available?

It's not. The only demos available are Zoo Tycoon, Fifa, Kinect Sports, and Nba Live.

After two weeks with the Xbox One I must say I'm pretty disappointed. The launch games are lackluster, the Xbox Live and Entertainment featured suck in Australia and I can't shake the feeling that the controller is a step back from the 360. I'm starting to wondering that $600 was well spent.....

Don't believe so. I hope we get a patch to fix some of the annoying issues soon. Party needs to be fixed ASAP.

1. Party system.
2. Data management.
3. Unify the profile apps (messages, friends, achievements) into one single app.
4. Make is so you can default the friends list to Favorites.
5. The actual Friends page should be what opens not the Friend Feed.
6. When you open an achievement you just obtained, it should not load the 100% bar.
7. Take away the recently used apps on the home screen and replace them with Pins.

8. Make the Invite system run through the OS. We should not have to worry about individual developers fucking up the invite system for each game. There should be one system in place by the OS that takes care of every game. Some games have terrible systems in place right now: Ryse, NBA 2K14, Battlefield 4, etc.(This may also be a side effect of the Party system being terrible).

1. Party system.
2. Data management.
3. Unify the profile apps (messages, friends, achievements) into one single app.
6. When you open an achievement you just obtained, it should not load the 100% bar.
7. Take away the recently used apps on the home screen and replace them with Pins.

8. Make the Invite system run through the OS. We should not have to worry about individual developers fucking up the invite system for each game. There should be one system in place by the OS that takes care of every game. Some games have terrible systems in place right now: Ryse, NBA 2K14, Battlefield 4, etc.(This may also be a side effect of the Party system being terrible).

1. Nat issues
2. Feeds working
3. No games kicking you back to the home screen at times
4. Xbox on to work again.

BajiRav

Ok so I got the NAT to open temporarily. I plugged my Ethernet straight from the wall into my xbox. So no router, no using my pc internet or anything.

Seems to be router settings then cos it works this way.

My router doesn't allow for that custom name port forwarding thing so not sure what to do in the long run

Put your Xbox's IP in DMZ. I have assigned my Xbox a static IP (outside of the DHCP range) and have put that in DMZ.

ParityBit

I don't think we'll hear about an update to these issues until early next year.

If its true that they cleaned up the OS a lot a month before release ... here is hoping they will get to it before Xmas when all the new XBOX one's get opened!

Especially for us early adopters!

...yes you probably are

kip-dynamite-yes.gif

Hindle

Banned
Why are you still in this thread trying to churn up a console war. We don't want any of it and I am surprised that a mod has not stepped in to address it with you.

Back on topic:

Ignore him.

He has no intention of buying the X1 and just comes into threads looking for a fight.

Forza looks pretty damn good too... in motion. Killer Instinct isn't graphically impressive but quite fun, and I'd say the same for Dead Rising 3. Based on what we've seen of Ryse, though, the console has a ton of potential for shiny graphics, so I'm not worried at all.

Third party games are the main worry of course, but I may still end up getting some on Xbox One because that's where my friends are playing and maybe to play some exclusive content first (CoD, BF4, The Division etc...)

Oh no doubt the games are fun

Dead Rising 3 will likely end up as one of my faves of the generation

Omiee

im selling my xbox one today but i have a problem

i removed my account and i restored everything to factory settings

but when i log in with a differt account it still lets me install forza and fifa for free because i bought them with my other gamer account

is this normal??? so the person who is buying my console will always be able to play forza and fifa? will i be able to play it if i log in with my account on a different xbox one im goingt o buy next year?

Orca

but when i log in with a differt account it still lets me install forza and fifa for free because i bought them with my other gamer account

is this normal??? so the person who is buying my console will always be able to play forza and fifa? will i be able to play it if i log in with my account on a different xbox one im goingt o buy next year?

Yeah there's a license tied to the console for those games. You'll be able to play on a different Xbox One if you are logged in, same as games worked for 360.

I had trouble getting my NAT off strict until I shut off UPNP on the router. Then either port forwarding or DMZ would get it to open.

Omiee

Yeah there's a license tied to the console for those games. You'll be able to play on a different Xbox One if you are logged in, same as games worked for 360.

I had trouble getting my NAT off strict until I shut off UPNP on the router. Then either port forwarding or DMZ would get it to open.

so basically he gets forza and fifa for free? is there no option to change this and remove the license like you can remove activations on playstation?

Krilekk

Banned

You can transfer your license next year to the new console, by then the new owner of your current Xbox won't be able to start the games anymore. As it is now you would have to be online to use your games on a new console.

Omiee

You can transfer your license next year to the new console, by then the new owner of your current Xbox won't be able to start the games anymore. As it is now you would have to be online to use your games on a new console.

how would i transfer my license to the new console? if i buy a new xbox next year just sign in or is there more to it?

m23

1. Party system.
2. Data management.

They also need to add the notifications for when your friends come online, and I mean favourite friends.

aparisi2274

Asking this question for a friend who just recently setup his XBO with FiOS integration...

Is there a way in the system settings that if you say Xbox Off, you can continue to watch FiOS programming? I am sure the answer is NO, since he has the FiOS box running into the XBO console, but I am just looking for confirmation.

thanks

sangreal

log in with your account and go to settings->my home xbox->this isn't my home xbox

Oh no doubt the games are fun

Dead Rising 3 will likely end up as one of my faves of the generation

And this is what matters most for me. While I'm somewhat disappointed in Xbox One's work-in-progress launch, the games are stopping me from playing anything else (PC, Wii U, PS4, PS3, Xbox 360...). It's just a really solid launch line-up.

-PXG-

The more I play the One, the more I'm ready to bail out.

Voice control is nice until you start to realize that it's making the UI needlessly complex and the novelty of it begins to wear off. It's hard to describe, but I'm laying on my couch watching football and I'd genuinely just prefer to change the channel via remote than open my mouth. It's an odd thing coming from someone who genuinely was really excited about the entertainment features for the One.

I find myself constantly wondering what it is that I have that's worth 500 dollars. The visuals are simply a disaster of epic proportions given the system scaler and artifiical sharpening along with an ancient GPU from go and I honestly can't express myself in words how much the party and chat issues are killing my interest in using this thing for multiplayer purposes.

And you sold your PS4. Come on son.

But yeah, the UI is a mess. Voice commands alleviate some of the hurdles but it still takes too long to do basic shit.

Play Ryse. It's actually fun. Be sure to play it on Centurion. Coop is solid too.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Back on topic:

Shame on me for answering the man's question.

Ignore button is right there. I'm not sure what you expect from a gaming forum if you're so anal about someone not singing the praises of the Xbone.

Agreed. I just finished the game on Centurion difficulty this weekend and it was a blast. Was it a perfect game? I don't think so but it is a good foundation for the future. I loved the story, the combat was fun and challenging, and I did feel like a bad ass after setting up a perfect double execution.

I hope there is a sequel.

Hindle

Banned
Agreed. I just finished the game on Centurion difficulty this weekend and it was a blast. Was it a perfect game? I don't think so but it is a good foundation for the future. I loved the story, the combat was fun and challenging, and I did feel like a bad ass after setting up a perfect double execution.

I hope there is a sequel.

Todd Palpy, one of the lead designers on GOW 3 and Ascension is rumoured to be the director for Ryse 2. At the least we should get a much improved combat system.

ParityBit

Todd Palpy, one of the lead designers on GOW 3 and Ascension is rumoured to be the director for Ryse 2. At the least we should get a much improved combat system.

That is sweet. This is a great gem going forward.

I enjoyed the combat. My only complaint with the game was that it is so short. I have yet to play at the highest difficulty, but I was thinking of trying some multiplayer at some point.

RoKKeR

1. Party system.
2. Data management.

Yes. YES. I'm enjoying my Xbox One but these things are of high priority to get fixed/updated.

Hindle

Banned
That is sweet. This is a great gem going forward.

I enjoyed the combat. My only complaint with the game was that it is so short. I have yet to play at the highest difficulty, but I was thinking of trying some multiplayer at some point.

I think we will get a full blown action adventure game with Ryse 2. Crytek mentioned they wanted to put so much more content into Ryse but couldn't due to dev time. Chariot racing, collaseum battles etc.

Top Bottom