• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Prine

Banned
I cant believe im having this much fun with Ryse. Just beat Chappter 5. By the Gods, death smiled at me multiple times, but i responded by smiling back. For a game with limited weapons and moves, it sure does show you fresh ways of tackling foes. Loved fighting around camp fire.

Story is good so far too.

So damn satisfying!!
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=E6617F1A15A6216E!324

Also, i did an odd thing last night, i was about to head to bed but started to check my friends activity feed, watching games that i'll not buy but enjoyed watching their achievements. Lots of BF clips of stunning kills, Killer Instinct ultras, Forza clean passes (Modus feed)... i set for bed an hour later than intended. Love this system god damn.

Sobriquet

Well, damn I am late. I'll remove my post.

You should put your post back. Not everyone is aware of that functionality.

I'm kinda happy that Ryse seems to have "tanked".
No gameplay, all graphics, all Crytek. Hopefully Todd Papy's experience with actual good games can rub off on the Crytek team a little with the sequel, if it even gets one.

It's a good game. It has fun gameplay. It also looks amazing. It seems to be doing really well in the US.

jem0208

I'm hopefully going to be getting my Xbox sometime in January, however I only have enough money to pick up 1 game.

Which of the big lot should I buy?

My quick thoughts on each:

- Forza 5: Bought 3 and Horizon and I love both of them, Horizon especially. I'm not too worried about the grind as I actually want a game with which I can sink quite a few hours into.

- Ryse: Love the setting, the gameplay sounds pretty fun and the graphics look incredible. My only issue is how short it appears to be. Considering it'll cost me £45 and be the only big game I can play I'm not so sure.

- DR3: I have the second and I have played it a bit, not that interested to be honest. DR2 is okay and quite fun to play with friends but I wouldn't say I love it.

- COD: Not interested.

- BF4: I have both Bad Company 2 and BF3. I absolutely loved BC2 however I wasn't so into BF3. It was good but I didn't find it quite as fun as BC2.

- AC4: I loved the first and enjoyed the second however I haven't played a single one since. It looks a lot more interesting that 3 as I really like the setting however I'm not entirely sure...

ParityBit

I think we will get a full blown action adventure game with Ryse 2. Crytek mentioned they wanted to put so much more content into Ryse but couldn't due to dev time. Chariot racing, collaseum battles etc.

How does MP work right now? I saw there are co-op executions ... so is there a co-op mode? I honestly have not looked into it because I always run into SP.

Its funny, I came into this thread to gripe about my concerns with the new system. All have been touched upon on even this last page. Disappointed. Overall satisfied, but with many secondary concerns I hope get fixed.

How does MP work right now? I saw there are co-op executions ... so is there a co-op mode? I honestly have not looked into it because I always run into SP.

Basically two people go into a map (there are 11 with it, 1 extra also if you got day one edition) and fight rounds of barbarains/minotaur things for a few waves before you get the leaders turn up to kill. When you get to a different round the flooring which is made up of tiles changes in certain spots to give you different objectives ("kill the archers" "capture and defender the position" etc). There are some co-op executions exclusive to the multiplayer stuff so you and a friend can double team someone when they have a skull and cross-bones above their heads.

With the gold you earn in multiplayer you buy boosters which can upgrade your fighter, they have 7 or so different parts (e.g. sword, shield, helmet etc) and each item gives different attributes +/- health/XP/crowd interest which affect your fighter and can help you rank up quicker etc..

Seasons pass says its getting another 14 maps and a mode too though they've not been detailed yet.

Razdek

Banned
Someone want to start a new thread on this:
Microsoft 'Threshold' envisions next Windows wave
http://www.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57614222-75/microsoft-threshold-envisions-next-windows-wave/

It details microsofts "unified os" vision.
(Related to Xbox, so it fits on the gamer section)

Jesus, if the Xbox One updates are tied to the update schedule of Windows then we're screwed. Look at what's happening to the Windows Phone Blue update that got pushed back to coincide with the Windows 8.1 spring update. They need to iterate the OS and add fixes/features quickly on their own schedule without having to wait on the Windows schedule.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I liked Ghosts before but holy shit this game sucks.

A little elaboration would be beneficial, such as, what did you like before? What don't you like now? Why the change of heart? ect.

I enjoyed the SP for what it was, though the ending was a bit "meh". I am also enjoying myself on MP, but I'm only level 10.

Anyone else's HDMI In port wonky? Or is it the software? Live TV keeps cutting in and out, and NEVER works after I turn the Xbox off and then back on. I then have to unplug the HDMI cable, and then replug it in to get it to work.

JaggedSac

Asking this question for a friend who just recently setup his XBO with FiOS integration...

Is there a way in the system settings that if you say Xbox Off, you can continue to watch FiOS programming? I am sure the answer is NO, since he has the FiOS box running into the XBO console, but I am just looking for confirmation.

thanks

No, he box has to fully on. No passthrough as of now.

Seriously, KI, dr3 and Ryse have to be the best launch trio ever. Dead rising is so much fun and that frame rate stuff was bullshit. I've been in huge crowds of zombies and the game is smooth as.

How much crap did Ryse and dr3 cop before it was even released or played on this forum?

All 3 of those games are solid 8/10 for me easy.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Welp, I had the NAT setting Open after port forwarding and setting up a static IP, but it went back to strict after a restart. I give up for now. At least MP is working now. Couldn't connect to Ghosts and BF4 multiplayer before.

Jesus, if the Xbox One updates are tied to the update schedule of Windows then we're screwed. Look at what's happening to the Windows Phone Blue update that got pushed back to coincide with the Windows 8.1 spring update. They need to iterate the OS and add fixes/features quickly on their own schedule without having to wait on the Windows schedule.

Xbox OS are already on Microsoft silly yearly update schedule, I am not sure what you are ranting about. May be this will give us more update like Windows, where we do constantly get update and bug fix. (I just got another 8.1 bug fix this week).

If you are talking about new OS version then it's always been yearly for all the OSs from iOS to Windows so, again not sure what you are ranting about.

Lee

So I had the PDP Kinect TV Mount preordered on Amazon, but recently the delivery estimate disappeared and the page changed to say the item is unavailable. I emailed to see if I should still expect it or if I need to look elsewhere (their initial release date was this Wednesday, the 4th). The rep emailed back the following: "I checked the item and it is currently on Special Order. We already contacted our supplier to source the item from them. However, the supplier has informed us that they won't be able to supply the item as soon as possible."

The rep issued me a $5 promotional credit, which was nice. FYI for anyone else in the same boat. Maybe they ship and you get them Wednesday. Who knows.

Welp, I had the NAT setting Open after port forwarding and setting up a static IP, but it went back to strict after a restart. I give up for now. At least MP is working now. Couldn't connect to Ghosts and BF4 multiplayer before.
Happened to me too mate.

Only way for me to do multiplayer is to connect the Ethernet cable from the wall straight to the xbox.

Sucks so bad but that's my work around until it can be fixed.

Anyone else's HDMI In port wonky? Or is it the software? Live TV keeps cutting in and out, and NEVER works after I turn the Xbox off and then back on. I then have to unplug the HDMI cable, and then replug it in to get it to work.

It was for me on the first Xbox One I got, the port in is very loose and my HDMI have a really big connector and fit poorly because of the casing on Xbox One. I swap the first one with new Xbox One and it's better but if I move system around sometimes it come loose.

Happened to me too mate.

Only way for me to do multiplayer is to connect the Ethernet cable from the wall straight to the xbox.

Sucks so bad but that's my work around until it can be fixed.

A friend of mine had similar issues I believe. I think it had something to do with his having a private IP.

Razdek

Banned
Xbox OS are already on Microsoft silly yearly update schedule, I am not sure what you are ranting about. May be this will give us more update like Windows, where we do constantly get update and bug fix. (I just got another 8.1 bug fix this week).

If you are talking about new OS version then it's always been yearly for all the OSs from iOS to Windows so, again not sure what you are ranting about.

It's pretty obvious that the OS released was rushed and there's a lot of bugs and features missing. If they're going to wait and do updates on a yearly schedule right now then they are dumb.

Yes Windows and 360 have yearly updates but they are more established than this OS so they can release things slower. They need to do more updates like the GDR ones for WP and when they get the OS up to snuff then they can do the yearly ones if they want to.

JaggedSac

Seriously, KI, dr3 and Ryse have to be the best launch trio ever. Dead rising is so much fun and that frame rate stuff was bullshit. I've been in huge crowds of zombies and the game is smooth as.

How much crap did Ryse and dr3 cop before it was even released or played on this forum?

Those are the three I have as well. Enjoying them all so far. Liking the Ryse mp more than I thought.

There will be an update in March, I reckon. If like to say before as I'd love voice commands before then, but I doubt they'll they'll do that. They'll just do it all in one go for the rollout in the rest of the world.

Vestal

It's pretty obvious that the OS released was rushed and there's a lot of bugs and features missing. If they're going to wait and do updates on a yearly schedule right now then they are dumb.

Yes Windows and 360 have yearly updates but they are more established than this OS so they can release things slower. They need to do more updates like the GDR ones for WP and when they get the OS up to snuff then they can do the yearly ones if they want to.

the big updates for Xbox OS will probably be like 360 were they are bi-annual like spring and fall. However bug fixes and such would come in in between these.

remember a lot of the functionality is not tied to the OS. So we may get an upload studio update without an OS update.

MCD

vGJP3CM.jpg

cool_dude

Banned
Pure bliss: been wanting to rewatch Star Trek: The Next Generation on Amazon Prime but didn't have the time. Now I can snap the Star Trek episodes (in HD) and play KI, golf, or Forza. Just so awesome.

ParityBit

Basically two people go into a map (there are 11 with it, 1 extra also if you got day one edition) and fight rounds of barbarains/minotaur things for a few waves before you get the leaders turn up to kill. When you get to a different round the flooring which is made up of tiles changes in certain spots to give you different objectives ("kill the archers" "capture and defender the position" etc). There are some co-op executions exclusive to the multiplayer stuff so you and a friend can double team someone when they have a skull and cross-bones above their heads.

With the gold you earn in multiplayer you buy boosters which can upgrade your fighter, they have 7 or so different parts (e.g. sword, shield, helmet etc) and each item gives different attributes +/- health/XP/crowd interest which affect your fighter and can help you rank up quicker etc..

Seasons pass says its getting another 14 maps and a mode too though they've not been detailed yet.

Wow, thanks for that explanation! How is the multiplayer? Seems like people enjoy it from what I read here.

So, how is Powerstar Golf? The last golf game I played was Super Mario Golf on the N64, and this looks like a fun arcadey game. Worth jumping in for the $20?

Wow, thanks for that explanation! How is the multiplayer? Seems like people enjoy it from what I read here.

Its great, imo. You start off ranking up very slowly as you the most basic gear/no stat increases then as you get better, more gold, better gear you rank up much quicker.

Im rank 51 at the moment I think, really am enjoying it.

So, how is Powerstar Golf? The last golf game I played was Super Mario Golf on the N64, and this looks like a fun arcadey game. Worth jumping in for the $20?

Its a very good fun game, very big career mode, no online multiplayer (currently they might add it) is certainly a disappointment. There is rivals mode sounds good (people do the courses on their console, it uploads to the cloud and then you can decide to play against them) but I haven't got it to work for me yet, could be because no-one I know has done it yet though.

sangreal

Has there been any comment from MS on digital copies not getting any day one content except for DR3?

It's pretty annoying seeing that locked map in Ryse, especially since the day one disc is currently cheaper than I paid on XBL

Having the same issues sometimes. I just used a different cable.

Agreed 100%.

This might sound crazy but Ryse is easily one of my favorite games this year. The combat has much more depth than I expected. I really dont get the hate for Ryse. I actually enjoyed the story. The multi player is fun but the grinding to level gets tiring.

Killer instinct is fantastic. I'm terrible at it, but its still a great game.

ParityBit

Its great, imo. You start off ranking up very slowly as you the most basic gear/no stat increases then as you get better, more gold, better gear you rank up much quicker.

Im rank 51 at the moment I think, really am enjoying it.

How do I make sure I go co-op? I have no desire for head to head at the moment

Its a very good fun game, very big career mode, no online multiplayer (currently they might add it) is certainly a disappointment. There is rivals mode sounds good (people do the courses on their console, it uploads to the cloud and then you can decide to play against them) but I haven't got it to work for me yet, could be because no-one I know has done it yet though.

I played some and I really liked it too.

Krakn3Dfx

Pure bliss: been wanting to rewatch Star Trek: The Next Generation on Amazon Prime but didn't have the time. Now I can snap the Star Trek episodes (in HD) and play KI, golf, or Forza. Just so awesome.

Just a question, as someone who owns an XB1, why would you ever want to watch Star Trek in a tiny 2" box to the right of your game while you're trying to concentrate on a game?

I like the XB1 (well, okay, the jury is still out), but I can't imagine watching anything in the tiny box that they give you as an option for snap functionality, and having to concentrate between most games while trying to concentrate on something I actually cared about watching.

Just a question, as someone who owns an XB1, why would you ever want to watch Star Trek in a tiny 2" box to the right of your game while you're trying to concentrate on a game?

I like the XB1 (well, okay, the jury is still out), but I can't imagine watching anything in the tiny box that they give you as an option for snap functionality, and having to concentrate between most games while trying to concentrate on something I actually cared about watching.

Yeah, I don't really understand this either. The only real use of the snap TV feature that I could think of is snapping a football game to the corner to check a score or watch a bit as you're playing a slow-paced game.

sangreal

How do I make sure I go co-op? I have no desire for head to head at the moment.

arena is co-op or solo only, there is no competitive MP

I used it to watch redzone while grinding away at Ryse MP and it worked out pretty well. I wouldn't use it while playing a story mode in a game but it's great when just grinding away collectibles or something mindless

UI question: Is there a way to get to the challenges/progress screen for a game WITHOUT comparing your achievements against your friends? None of my friends have played Need for Speed on the Xbone, but I'm still interested in the stats about how much I've played, etc., and hate having to dig into achievements to get to this screen.

For reference, I mean this screen:

Thanks! Think I'm gonna check it out.

How do I make sure I go co-op? I have no desire for head to head at the moment

Theres no head-to-head combat its all co-op working together sort of thing.

When you turn on the game you have 3 options at the top: Campaign (or something), Gladiator and Hero.

Its under gladiator. Then custom match you can do it privately with a friend or by yourself.

sangreal

UI question: Is there a way to get to the challenges/progress screen for a game WITHOUT comparing your achievements against your friends? None of my friends have played Need for Speed on the Xbone, but I'm still interested in the stats about how much I've played, etc., and hate having to dig into achievements to get to this screen.

For reference, I mean this screen:

on smartglass just open the achievements page for a game. on the console I think you can only see it when comparing to a friend

Top Bottom