• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Is any one else having disconnect issues with the controller? It seems to only happen when the headset is plugged in.

Yes it's happening to me. Playing Forza online, I definitely learned my lesson to not plug in the headset. Last night was insane, I could not get the controller to stay on at all even after unplugging the headset. I had to plug it to the console and make it wired for it to stay on.

As I've discovered after dealing with it today, it's definitely not normal behavior and you should talk to support.

Hyunickel

Neo Member
Has anyone posted any videos of how an Xbox One is supposed to normally sound? I have a replacement on the way, but I think mine is fine so I'm going to send the replacement back. However if there is a video that has a normal sounding Xbox One running, it would be nice to compare just in case.

I got my replacement today, the wizzing noise the fan made is very quiet on my new system. I mean its still there if you're near it, but its not as loud as my previous one. I guess you need to REALLY luck out to have a system where to fan is super duper quiet. I'm happy with this one, will test it for a few days, then send my old one back.

I got my replacement today, the wizzing noise the fan made is very quiet on my new system. I mean its still there if you're near it, but its not as loud as my previous one. I guess you need to REALLY luck out to have a system where to fan is super duper quiet. I'm happy with this one, will test it for a few days, then send my old one back.

Mine is super duper quiet. I'll make a video in a few hours.

Prophezz

Banned

How close are we talking about? I sit about 2-3 feet away from my Xbox and can't hear it. I can only hear it if I put my ear right next to it.

Hyunickel

Neo Member
How close are we talking about? I sit about 2-3 feet away from my Xbox and can't hear it. I can only hear it if I put my ear right next to it.

If the room is completely silent, and I'm within that same distance of 2-3 feet away, I know my Xbox is on. I mean I can hear the sound of something being clearly on. I don't know if I want to send this new one back as well.. It's much better than my older one for sure.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
If the room is completely silent, and I'm within that same distance of 2-3 feet away, I know my Xbox is on. I mean I can hear the sound of something being clearly on. I don't know if I want to send this new one back as well.. It's much better than my older one for sure.

Yours is pretty much how mine is. At first I was worried when the initial videos came up but I think the fear with those videos was the audible high pitched sounds coming from the system - not necessarily the sound of the fans humming - which seems normal to me for a piece of technology.

However, if the fans are really supposed to be extremely, extremely quiet then I may consider accepting my replacement. I called Xbox Support to tell them that I wanted to try and cancel my Advanced Exchange but they were unable to and they told me that I could either send the replacement back or keep it and send mine back. I just would rather keep mine if it is working as intended.

Mine is super duper quiet. I'll make a video in a few hours.

I would appreciate this greatly. Thanks!

Hyunickel

Neo Member
Yours is pretty much how mine is. At first I was worried when the initial videos came up but I think the fear with those videos was the audible high pitched sounds coming from the system - not necessarily the sound of the fans humming - which seems normal to me for a piece of technology.

However, if the fans are really supposed to be extremely, extremely quiet then I may consider accepting my replacement. I called Xbox Support to tell them that I wanted to try and cancel my Advanced Exchange but they were unable to and they told me that I could either send the replacement back or keep it and send mine back. I just would rather keep mine if it is working as intended.

I would appreciate this greatly. Thanks!

I'm talking with support again, and they seem to indicate to me that in completely quiet room hearing something isn't out of the ordinary if you're standing 2-3 feet away. I think this new one is a lot better, so I'll stick with it for now. If anything weird comes up, or I discover that it's not the case, I'll just get it replaced later.

GavinGT

Banned
Lately I have been reading lot of GAF complaining about Kinect is useless and sucks.

Can someone make a thread for this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwUKY9vn8tU

this guy is demonstrating/reviewing the UI with Kinect and everything in detailed. Really shows all the potential scenarios in you are likely to be using your Xbox One.

Most of us that have one know how well it works. I even had to make my own video to show how well voice commands work for me, after hearing tons of people echoing how they don't work a lot of the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3bgBC2L0qA

Defect

I've been playing Killer Instinct since launch and using all of the other apps and stuff. I tested a blank CD to check if my Drive is busted. It wasn't.

I got Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3 today so I put one if them in and...it doesn't read. So I try and try maybe about 20 times and it just doesn't read. I give it one last shot but this time I hold the disc while it's being pulled in and it makes a noise so I let it go in. I hear a notification and it worked. It still doesn't read when I put in discs normally, but it does when I do that trick. It now makes a quick grinding noise when the discs are put in normally.

The games play fine and all but I guess I should send it in now and get Ryse as a free game.

Shrennin

I'm talking with support again, and they seem to indicate to me that in completely quiet room hearing something isn't out of the ordinary if you're standing 2-3 feet away. I think this new one is a lot better, so I'll stick with it for now. If anything weird comes up, or I discover that it's not the case, I'll just get it replaced later.

Yeah, that's what I'm planning to do with mine right now - the only other thing I'm worried about is that the HDMI ports seem loose as far as if I wiggle the HDMI cables at all it seems to lose connection. It's perfectly fine as long as I don't wiggle it and leave it alone so it's not really a big issue but I just want to make sure my HDMI ports don't go bad.

The clicking noise the shoulder buttons make when you depress them makes it sound so cheap. I hate what microsoft did to the shoulder buttons. :(

Grisby

Loaded up Kinect sports and my poor Kinect couldn't see the floor. After some fandangling I managed to get it to read my hand gestures but it still had some jank. Looks like I'll probably be having trouble with Kinect games again (if I choose to purchase any of course).

A real shame man, all I could think about was riding those waves just using the controller. That water is so pretty. I miss Rare, :(

Nivane

Anyone having issues with certain apps not wanting to start?

It happens mostly with Killer Instinct. I'll select it, the title splash screen appears, and I'm booted back to the home screen. I'll usually have to try to start it multiple times before the game is actually playable, but tonight it wouldn't start for anything until I rebooted. It happened with Ryse once as well.

Upload Studio kept crashing tonight as well when I tried to do a multiple clip upload. I'd hit 'finish' and it would kick me back to the home screen.

I'm guessing memory is the culprit here.

Networker

Banned
Anyone having issues with certain apps not wanting to start?

It happens mostly with Killer Instinct. I'll select it, the title splash screen appears, and I'm booted back to the home screen. I'll usually have to try to start it multiple times before the game is actually playable, but tonight it wouldn't start for anything until I rebooted. It happened with Ryse once as well.

Upload Studio kept crashing tonight as well when I tried to do a multiple clip upload. I'd hit 'finish' and it would kick me back to the home screen.

I'm guessing memory is the culprit here.

Yup, I think this is a known issue. I have experienced it couple of times as well. Not sure what the problem is.

Defect

How do I do this advanced exchange program. I call 1-800-4MY-XBOX right? Do they put a pending charge on my card until everything is resolved and sent back?

Like many others have stated it does really make a huge difference turning up your speakers when calibrating. It's pretty much the same situation when calibrating speakers. I set my amp to about -25 and that seems to have set it so the xbox now has no problem picking up any command. Before it was a little on and off, as with anything pronunciation is key too.

To people stating they can hear their Xbox when it is on mine is whisper quiet, it's amazing how much quieter it is than the 360e.

The only issue I have is the kinect really needs to be mounted above the tv still. I would have hoped it would function better in a smaller room and be able to sit under. Unfortunately when you do the setup it can't see our feet and would easily need a good 8ft of room unless mounted above instead of below.

Shrennin

How do I do this advanced exchange program. I call 1-800-4MY-XBOX right? Do they put a pending charge on my card until everything is resolved and sent back?

Yeah, just call the support number (I just used the main support number but 1-800-4MY-XBOX is probably quicker) and tell them you want to do the advanced exchange. They will definitely put a pending charge on your card and then they will supposedly send you a brand new Xbox One - if your other accessories, like Kinect, are not working either then be sure to mention that because if you just mention the console then they will only send a brand new console. Once the console gets there, just test it out and put your old console in the box that the new one came in and send it back. You have 14 days from the time you get the replacement console to have it get to Microsoft so you won't get charged the full amount. I would also describe to Support why you want to do the advanced exchange just to make sure it's covered.

I hate how after a few days of being on stand-by, the UI for the Xbox One gets... sluggish? Doesn't move as smoothly as it should and you need to fully restart the system.

Tried to play some Ghosts and got this message:

>Call of Duty Ghosts needs an update
The size of the update is around: 748 MB (connect time charges may apply)

The hell is this? Thought the Xbox One automatically downloaded updates for you over night. THIS ISN'T NEXT GEN!

Has there been any ETA for digital surround sound? Really is a bummer right now as I have a $100 brick for an astro mixamp right now. Game sound is also really disorienting without the positional cues that digital surround sound provides.

I hate how after a few days of being on stand-by, the UI for the Xbox One gets... sluggish? Doesn't move as smoothly as it should and you need to fully restart the system.

The hell is this? Thought the Xbox One automatically downloaded updates for you over night. THIS ISN'T NEXT GEN!

How are you liking CoD, specifically multiplayer? I hear a lot of problems with BF4, but nothing about CoD.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.

Noticed this too. It's been acknowledged though. It will get fixed. Also, it has happened to me only once when I set the "quick resume" beta. Do you have that setting on?

Bsigg12

It updated for me. I had a notification earlier when I turned on my Xbox and saw it was Ghosts and was confused why it was there. I figured it must have been a patch or something.

mrdark

Banned
I posted a video earlier of the Kinect barely working with voice commands. Today the Kinect just stopped being recognized all together by the Xbox One. I start to chat with support and they try to tell me it will be 2 weeks for a replacement to be sent with no express offer, then the agent offers a free game which I thought was cool, but 10 minutes later during our chat she tells me she can't offer me the game. I ended up telling her that I'll just return it to the store.

So my Xbox One adventure is over. At least Killer Instinct was fun for a while.

Loaded up Kinect sports and my poor Kinect couldn't see the floor. After some fandangling I managed to get it to read my hand gestures but it still had some jank. Looks like I'll probably be having trouble with Kinect games again (if I choose to purchase any of course).

A real shame man, all I could think about was riding those waves just using the controller. That water is so pretty. I miss Rare, :(

keep in mind (since it sometimes isn't obvious) the Kinect can be manually tilted up/down, and you can also go into the settings menu and adjust what Kinect sees as the floor

Bsigg12

I posted a video earlier of the Kinect barely working with voice commands. Today the Kinect just stopped being recognized all together by the Xbox One. I start to chat with support and they try to tell me it will be 2 weeks for a replacement to be sent with no express offer, then the agent offers a free game which I thought was cool, but 10 minutes later during our chat she tells me she can't offer me the game. I ended up telling her that I'll just return it to the store.

So my Xbox One adventure is over. At least Killer Instinct was fun for a while.

Did you do a full power cycle? For whatever reason it works.

mrdark

Banned
Did you do a full power cycle? For whatever reason it works.

I went through every solution I was able to find to no avail.

I probably would have waited since I have a PS4, but it really rubbed me the wrong way being offered a game without any pressure on my end only to have her say 'Oops, nevermind'.

Sobriquet

keep in mind (since it sometimes isn't obvious) the Kinect can be manually tilted up/down, and you can also go into the settings menu and adjust what Kinect sees as the floor

This. What Kinect saw as my "floor" was way off. Once I adjusted it so that the floor it saw was my actual floor, and manually tilted the Kinect to where it said, everything worked great.

Would it be possible to plug in a Chromecast into the HDMI in? I was thinking about getting one for my brother but we only have 2 HDMI ports on our tv that are being used by the cable box and the xbox.

Naked Lunch

I keep having an issue where games wont load past their opening splash screen - then it kicks me back home. I have to open several apps and then the game and it will finally load. Its like they are getting stuck on the splash screen. This only happens when I first start up the system. Is this common?

I keep having an issue where games wont load past their opening splash screen - then it kicks me back home. I have to open several apps and then the game and it will finally load. Its like they are getting stuck on the splash screen. This only happens when I first start up the system. Is this common?
Yeah I've had this issue too with games crashing after splash screen, I'm not sure how common it is.

Hana-Bi

On the MS account page I can switch between AT- personal account and US - personal account, hmm.
If I want to add paypal there it demands an US adress and phone number etc. so I guess I am out of luck if I don't want to risk anything. Can you guys check if you have paypal option there uf it works for you?

I used a Borderlinx address (it's free). It is at least an "official" address with a phone number.

But if you don't want to risk anything - I don't know if this would be ideal for you. A small risk still remains.

Hammer24

Banned
One of my friends changed his region to USA on the Xbox One dashboard and bought a game.

He said after you change your regon visit
http://commerce.microsoft.com

Under payment options there should be options to tie a payment type to a specific region. Just pop your paypal on there and it should show next time you log onto xbox.

I may be explaining it all wrong though, will try to get him in to explain.

Yeah, that's the site where I did it too, thanks.
Just that I didn´t add PayPal, only set the region to US, and afterwards I was able to pay with Gift Cards.

derFeef

I used a Borderlinx address (it's free). It is at least an "official" address with a phone number.

But if you don't want to risk anything - I don't know if this would be ideal for you. A small risk still remains.

I will try this, no risk no fun. Thanks!

Yards

Banned
I got my Day One edition on launch and I am enjoying the console for the most part, but there are a few issues/complaints:
  • he new bumpers take getting used to
  • my controller seems like it's a little loose (I need to contact Amazon)
  • the UI needs a lot of work

And lastly, digital prices are absolutely criminal. Am I to understand I need to pay £54.99 ($88) for $60 games for the privilege owning a license without being able to
  • resell
  • trade
  • loan
  • or collect physical covers

even though there are no retail or shipping costs?

Is this really a thing? Does Microsoft even want a digital platform, cause if they do, this certainly is not the way to go about it. I shudder to think what our Brazilian friends, for example, have to pay for their games.

I hear the PS4 has it even worse on some games. This really isn't OK. There should be a uniform price for all digital titles and that price HAS TO BE below retail. I'm not supporting digital games until then.

mrdark

Banned
I posted this on reddit just to see if Major Nelson saw it and maybe does some magic. I doubt it, but I wanted to vent because their policy is ridiculous. I'll throw it here too and maybe I'll feel better in the morning.

My Kinect has never worked correctly, it's always been funky. Here is an example: http://youtu.be/7LEj-k0NSoY . Motion control was also acting oddly, but I didn't have the coordination to record and demonstrate those issues. I assumed that it was just software kinks that needed to be worked out. Apparently that is not the case as the Kinect just completely died today. No lights, no fan, no power, and the Xbox One doesn't even realize it is connected.

I go through all the fixes I can find officially and through forums with people who were having issues to no avail. The thing is just dead. It's a doorstop with a lens.

I go to chat with Microsoft online. The first agent I speak with for around 40 minutes starts to get the process started for an exchange and offers me (without me asking for or hinting about) a free game for the inconvenience. 3 minutes later she says never mind, she is unable to do that for me. She then tells me about the shipping and I take time to think about it. I'm already irritated that she reneged on her game offer.

I go back later to chat with another associate and inform them about the previous interaction and go through the entire process over again and finally get to replacing it. I get through getting everything rolling, give them my address, access to my account and then the woman informs me "Oh, by the way, I'll need your credit card information in case we don't receive a product back". What? I have a defective $500 dollar product here and I'm treated like a potential thief? Ridiculous. You have my serial number, it's registered to me, I obviously have the device and I'm trying to get one component fixed. I go in circles with the agent over my concerns about this option and finally, politely, ask to get management involved.

I would like to note during this entire event I always remained cordial and polite as I've worked retail for a few years before. Sometimes I wish I acted like the animals I would interact with, but I didn't.

My problem is that I have no control over what happens to the shipment after it leaves my hands. You want my credit card on file so you can charge me if UPS loses the package or drives over it? The burden is on the customer for Microsoft's mistake?

I start to speak with the manager whose only other option is for me is to wait for a coffin, send the device in, wait for a repair/replacement, and then wait for it to come back. The Kinect, the center-piece of this console, the reason for this console's marketing, would not be accessible to me for a few weeks? Because me, the person who dropped half a grand on this device is going to, again, have the burden placed on him for getting their defective product repaired.

I spent over and hour going back and forth with the gentlemen, again as polite and cordial as possible while asserting that the options are unacceptable. He refused to offer me anything else, he refused to find any way to escalate the issue. My options were my options and that was it. I finally started to ask the gentleman if I should just return the device for a refund if there was no way for him to talk to anyone else to get this problem resolved, and at the end the only thing he can tell me is that he can respect my choice if I return it.

This entire debacle just left me with a bad experience. I was already on the fence about the XBO, but I love gaming and I went ahead and bought it. So now I either gamble with my money that the return package for their defective product won't be lost during the holiday shuffle, wait weeks for replacement/repair, or just give up.

This came out longer than I would have liked, but those are some seriously terrible options and crappy to treat people who dropped half a grand on this thing as if they're the untrustworthy ones. We took a risk, got burned, and Microsoft doesn't want to assume any of the risk for the repair.

Edit: I just want to make it clear that I understand I won't be charged unless the device gets lost, and the device PROBABLY won't get lost, but I just couldn't get over the fact that the burden is on the customer when trying to get the defective device repaired.

Prine

Banned
I got my Day One edition on launch and I am enjoying the console for the most part, but there are a few issues/complaints:
  • he new bumpers take getting used to
  • my controller seems like it's a little loose (I need to contact Amazon)
  • the UI needs a lot of work

And lastly, digital prices are absolutely criminal. Am I to understand I need to pay £54.99 ($88) for $60 games for the privilege owning a license without being able to
  • resell
  • trade
  • loan
  • or collect physical covers

even though there are no retail or shipping costs?

Is this really a thing? Does Microsoft even want a digital platform, cause if they do, this certainly is not the way to go about it. I shudder to think what our Brazilian friends, for example, have to pay for their games.

I hear the PS4 has it even worse on some games. This really isn't OK. There should be a uniform price for all digital titles and that price HAS TO BE below retail. I'm not supporting digital games until then.

I dont think its up to MS, undercutting retailers will probably result in law suits. But there is a way...i bought Assasins Creed 4 for £37. I'll try to fetch the thread, you have to have a mastercard, involves switching your Xbox setting to US location, to load the US store. You'll be charged in dollars which comes to around £37. After your purchase, you switch back to UK, the games are region free so you'll be sorted.

Yards

Banned
I dont think its up to MS, undercutting retailers will probably result in law suits. But there is a way...i bought Assasins Creed 4 for £37. I'll try to fetch the thread, you have to have a mastercard, involves switching your Xbox setting to US location, to load the US store. You'll be charged in dollars which comes to around £37. After your purchase, you switch back to UK, the games are region free so you'll be sorted.

Holy shit, that actually works?

Top Bottom