• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

On with MS support now over my faulty controller and the first suggestion was to turn the console off and on again. Yeah that will solve a sticky A button.

Also they are wanting me to send this back at my own expense and wait up to 10 days for a replacement. WTF!!! Is this normal? I can't not use my One for ten days for something that is not my fault

TheZink

On with MS support now over my faulty controller and the first suggestion was to turn the console off and on again. Yeah that will solve a sticky A button.

Also they are wanting me to send this back at my own expense and wait up to 10 days for a replacement. WTF!!! Is this normal? I can't not use my One for ten days for something that is not my fault

is there a microsoft store near you? You may be able to take it there.

That's pretty much what they told me too. It really sucks and they are not flexible at all.

yes

but they're already uploaded anyway... you can only edit videos by downloading them

This doesn't make any sense... I can watch the videos on my machine before they are uploaded. However, they are rendered as MP4's before being uploaded...

I just want to trim some of the gameplay clips that I recorded to save hard drive space. It seems like I can't do that. Are you saying that I would have to download the MP4 from skydrive and THEN use trim to edit it? ...that would make upload studio seem pointless. ...that you would have to upload, then re-download a video to edit it. Surely I am misunderstanding you.

sangreal

This doesn't make any sense... I can watch the videos on my machine before they are uploaded. However, they are rendered as MP4's before being uploaded...

I just want to trim some of the gameplay clips that I recorded to save hard drive space. It seems like I can't do that. Are you saying that I would have to download the MP4 from skydrive and THEN use trim to edit it? ...that would make upload studio seem pointless. ...that you would have to upload, then re-download a video to edit it. Surely I am misunderstanding you.

all videos are uploaded automatically

when you open a video in upload studio the first thing it does is download the file

Can't you just return it to the retailers? Or will they not swap out controllers?

They told me my only option was for them to ship me a new console and swap controllers when that arrives and send back the new console and broken controller.

I told them this was ridiculous and refused to go through with it. Why they can't just send me another controller and put the hold on my card for that is beyond me. Never had an issue with MS support in the past either

Wizman23

Banned
I can't figure out the upload studio... Can you only save changes to videos by uploading them? ...When I try to "trim" a video, I can never get it to work for some reason.

Took me awhile to figure out how to actually use the trim feature yesterday. Didn't realize you used the left and right sticks. The Upload studio is awesome and I would imagine it will add more features in time. I trimmed down five BF4 clips and made a montage combining all 5 videos into one last night. I hope in the future they let you use more then 5 videos at once for highlight reels.

splattered

I haven't really had a chance to mess around with the video edit/upload feature too much yet... I know we can upload files to Skydrive but can we share them on facebook etc? I see a lot of my friends on facebook uploading videos and stuff from their PS4 right onto their profiles.

Alx

I haven't really had a chance to mess around with the video edit/upload feature too much yet... I know we can upload files to Skydrive but can we share them on facebook etc? I see a lot of my friends on facebook uploading videos and stuff from their PS4 right onto their profiles.

Not directly from your console (yet). But if you use Skydrive, you can synchronize your videos to your PC using the Skydrive client, and then upload them anywhere you like. It's more convoluted, but it should work.

Took me awhile to figure out how to actually use the trim feature yesterday. Didn't realize you used the left and right sticks. The Upload studio is awesome and I would imagine it will add more features in time. I trimmed down five BF4 clips and made a montage combining all 5 videos into one last night. I hope in the future they let you use more then 5 videos at once for highlight reels.

thanks for the tip about the sticks. I'll try that in a sec.

So, can you trim a clip without overwriting the original file? Let's say I have a 5 minute clip that has a few good sections...can I trim 15 seconds of it and save that 15 seconds without overwriting the entire file? ...I guess this would work just like on pc where it would leave the old file and create the new one so long as I used a new filename. right?

Just off the phone with the Xbox helpline and it appears they are sending me a new controller. The guy I was on with said it was a new option available to him when I was processing a return. The email I got states it could take twenty days to get a new one and no further action is required on my behalf. They didn't even ask me for card details.

Might be worth trying for anyone with less than perfect controllers

Anyone elses power brick get more quiet if you squeeze it a bit at the sides? The annoying hum gets way quieter and I pretty much only hear the fan when I do it. Do I have to put a clamp on this thing? Lol.

So, can you trim a clip without overwriting the original file? Let's say I have a 5 minute clip that has a few good sections...can I trim 15 seconds of it and save that 15 seconds without overwriting the entire file? ...I guess this would work just like on pc where it would leave the old file and create the new one so long as I used a new filename. right?

Well yeah trimming a clip doesn't overwrite the old one.

rjcc

Has anyone else tried pinning content from the video apps directly to the home screen?

I pinned a show from Hulu and that worked, but in the Amazon Instant Video app I tried it and none of the pins show up on my home screen.

Wizman23

Banned

The left stick acts as the beginning of the video and the right starts at the end. If you want to trim from the beginning push the left stick right. If you want to cut off from the end push the right stick left. I kept just pressing "A" and it wasn't doing anything.

Special C

The left stick acts as the beginning of the video and the right starts at the end. If you want to trim from the beginning push the left stick right. If you want to cut off from the end push the right stick left. I kept just pressing "A" and it wasn't doing anything.

I feel much less stupid know that it wasn't intuitive for anyone else either. Took me 10 minutes to figure out how to trim.

mrdark

Banned
I posted a long spiel earlier about my Xbox One Kinect not working and eventually dying completely. After dealing with Microsoft for hours my choices were either give them my credit card for an advance replacement (they send me the item first) or wait for a coffin, send it in, wait for repair/replacement, wait for return, or nothing. In all these scenarios the burden is on me for any issues. I have no control over the package once it leaves my hands, so I'm to be held responsible for getting their mistake resolved if it gets lost? That or wait weeks for them to get me a replacement?

After dealing with the rep he finally just said that he would respect my decision to return the device for a refund. Okay.

So I get on Amazon to return the thing, and lo and behold this is the service I immediately get: "I'm sorry for your problem. I apologize for the agitation. I'm going to have a new device out to you by Friday, just ship the defective unit back when you receive it". Shocking, right? I'm not treated like a potential thief for trying to get this $500 defect fixed. I didn't even have to ask, they just corrected the problem immediately.

I love games so I'm inclined to keep it because of that and the ease that Amazon provided. At the same time fuck Microsoft for treating their customers like they're the ones who shouldn't be trusted. If it were anywhere else I probably would have returned it and washed my hands of it. If I do end up keeping the thing it's because of the respect Amazon has shown their customers. Microsoft should really thank Amazon for cleaning up their mess.

MajorPain

I posted a long spiel earlier about my Xbox One Kinect not working and eventually dying completely. After dealing with Microsoft for hours my choices were either give them my credit card for an advance replacement (they send me the item first) or wait for a coffin, send it in, wait for repair/replacement, wait for return, or nothing. In all these scenarios the burden is on me for any issues. I have no control over the package once it leaves my hands, so I'm to be held responsible for getting their mistake resolved if it gets lost? That or wait weeks for them to get me a replacement?

After dealing with the rep he finally just said that he would respect my decision to return the device for a refund. Okay.

So I get on Amazon to return the thing, and lo and behold this is the service I immediately get: "I'm sorry for your problem. I apologize for the agitation. I'm going to have a new device out to you by Friday, just ship the defective unit back when you receive it". Shocking, right? I'm not treated like a potential thief for trying to get this $500 defect fixed. I didn't even have to ask, they just corrected the problem immediately.

I love games so I'm inclined to keep it because of that and the ease that Amazon provided. At the same time fuck Microsoft for treating their customers like they're the ones who shouldn't be trusted. If it were anywhere else I probably would have returned it and washed my hands of it. If I do end up keeping the thing it's because of the respect Amazon has shown their customers. Microsoft should really thank Amazon for cleaning up their mess.

Amazon has great customer service that very few companies can even come close to but at the same time they already have your credit card number so no need to ask for it. I don't understand why you didn't just go to them in the beginning and save yourself a lot of frustration.

GavinGT

Banned
Amazon has great customer service that very few companies can even come close to but at the same time they already have your credit card number so no need to ask for it. I don't understand why you didn't just go to them in the beginning and save yourself a lot of frustration.

I wonder what Amazon would do if he never returned the item after already sending out a replacement.....

Should have contacted Amazon first. Always choose Amazon over a manufacturer for a replacement. I can see why MS isn't just sending out consoles without a hold, though. This could get abused easily otherwise.

Satchel

Banned

I have a feeling there's quite a few people scamming Microsoft out of a free game which could have caused them to have their sudden trust issues.

One of my mates rang me up yesterday "Man, did you hear Microsoft is giving a free game if your consoles has the grinding noise? I'm just going to call them and tell them it's intermittent send it back and get a new unit and a free game"

Now if they have thousands upon thousands of people now doing this, you can understand why now they're probably not going to be as forthcoming as they were before. Like with everything, the actions of a few, have probably ruined it for the majority.

Sucks to hear for you man, but I have a feeling that's the reason why.

I just want to pat you on the head and give you a piece of candy. That is one of the most pathetically adorable stories I have ever heard. The idea that Microsoft wouldn't just up and ship a new console to you based on your word....

mrdark

Banned
I have a feeling there's quite a few people scamming Microsoft out of a free game which could have caused them to have their sudden trust issues.

One of my mates rang me up yesterday "Man, did you hear Microsoft is giving a free game if your consoles has the grinding noise? I'm just going to call them and tell them it's intermittent send it back and get a new unit and a free game"

Now if they have thousands upon thousands of people now doing this, you can understand why now they're probably not going to be as forthcoming as they were before. Like with everything, the actions of a few, have probably ruined it for the majority.

Sucks to hear for you man, but I have a feeling that's the reason why.

I left it out of this update, and it was in the original spiel, but when I initially spoke with Microsoft I was offered a free game. I didn't ask for a thing other than to get my problem fixed. Two minutes later the woman tells me nevermind, she can't offer me anything. That really rubbed me the wrong way as well. All I could see was "Your problem isn't important enough for me to stick to what I just said, and since you're probably going to steal the replacement I'll need your credit card".

mrdark

Banned
I wonder what Amazon would do if he never returned the item after already sending out a replacement.....

I don't keep my credit card information saved on Amazon. Do they have some sort of stipulation in their TOS stating they can search through and charge me? Maybe, I don't know, but they sure as hell didn't make me try and feel like I'm the bad guy for getting the problem resolved. Like Dennis Reynolds would say, it was all about the implications.

Satchel

Banned
I left it out of this update, and it was in the original spiel, but when I initially spoke with Microsoft I was offered a free game. I didn't ask for a thing other than to get my problem fixed. Two minutes later the woman tells me nevermind, she can't offer me anything. That really rubbed me the wrong way as well. All I could see was "Your problem isn't important enough for me to stick to what I just said, and since you're probably going to steal the replacement I'll need your credit card".

Definitely sounds like my theory might be the case. I think people have been sending Microsoft back working consoles in order to get the free game.

mrdark

Banned
Definitely sounds like my theory might be the case. I think people have been sending Microsoft back working consoles in order to get the free game.

Either way dealing with them was the completely wrong way to go. I would have went to Amazon first if I knew they had additional consoles available, I just thought Microsoft would have been the faster option.

I was actually able to search for Sigur Ros and play individual songs from their new album, entirely through voice controls.

I think I'm now an expert in speaking Icelandic.

besiktas1

One of my friends changed his region to USA on the Xbox One dashboard and bought a game.

He said after you change your regon visit
http://commerce.microsoft.com

Under payment options there should be options to tie a payment type to a specific region. Just pop your paypal on there and it should show next time you log onto xbox.

I may be explaining it all wrong though, will try to get him in to explain.

No dice. Added paypal But no idea how to tie it to US... my address

GavinGT

Banned
It's a bit of a trek(2 hours or so), but if there's no other option after calling, I'll have to make the trip! :)

Other than that, you can contact either Amazon or Microsoft and they'll send you a rush delivery on a replacement. Microsoft will request a credit card number to ensure that you send the broken one back, but they'll give you a free game of your choice. I don't think Amazon will do the free game thing.

No dice. Added paypal But no idea how to tie it to US... my address

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=722968

Anion

Mine came in from Amazon today and it has the broken disc drive. :< what do, gaf
Yeah you better get a free game. People like me don't. (Fan issue on console)

Yeah, I have to admit, the Xbox rep this time aren't very good. Back when my elite was RRODed, they sent me a box and paid for everything. NOW, they want me to send in my Xbox myself (if I want to avoid the credit card hold) and pay for the shipping. I ended up switching to the advanced care.

Also, when I was taking to the customer service, I found out you only get a new xb1 console if you do the advanced repair, not the regular way. If you do the regular way, they try to fix it and then send it to you.
Just saying. Cause I've been told that I would get a new one either way before

Yeah, Xbox support has gotten worse, or as some of you say, "more cautionary"

Are they requiring you to send back the whole bundle, or just the unit itself?

Top Bottom