• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

That US store in the UK is a god send. Picked up BF4 for a sensible price of £39 ish rather than £55. If they allow this to happen throughout the life of the One I think I'll be all digital. So easy to swap games without having to move my lazy ass off the sofa.

Hammer24

Banned
That US store in the UK is a god send. Picked up BF4 for a sensible price of £39 ish rather than £55. If they allow this to happen throughout the life of the One I think I'll be all digital. So easy to swap games without having to move my lazy ass off the sofa.

45€ instead of the 60 they want in stores? Yeah, I can get used to that.

I posted this on reddit just to see if Major Nelson saw it and maybe does some magic. I doubt it, but I wanted to vent because their policy is ridiculous. I'll throw it here too and maybe I'll feel better in the morning.

My Kinect has never worked correctly, it's always been funky. Here is an example: http://youtu.be/7LEj-k0NSoY . Motion control was also acting oddly, but I didn't have the coordination to record and demonstrate those issues. I assumed that it was just software kinks that needed to be worked out. Apparently that is not the case as the Kinect just completely died today. No lights, no fan, no power, and the Xbox One doesn't even realize it is connected.

I go through all the fixes I can find officially and through forums with people who were having issues to no avail. The thing is just dead. It's a doorstop with a lens.

I go to chat with Microsoft online. The first agent I speak with for around 40 minutes starts to get the process started for an exchange and offers me (without me asking for or hinting about) a free game for the inconvenience. 3 minutes later she says never mind, she is unable to do that for me. She then tells me about the shipping and I take time to think about it. I'm already irritated that she reneged on her game offer.

I go back later to chat with another associate and inform them about the previous interaction and go through the entire process over again and finally get to replacing it. I get through getting everything rolling, give them my address, access to my account and then the woman informs me "Oh, by the way, I'll need your credit card information in case we don't receive a product back". What? I have a defective $500 dollar product here and I'm treated like a potential thief? Ridiculous. You have my serial number, it's registered to me, I obviously have the device and I'm trying to get one component fixed. I go in circles with the agent over my concerns about this option and finally, politely, ask to get management involved.

I would like to note during this entire event I always remained cordial and polite as I've worked retail for a few years before. Sometimes I wish I acted like the animals I would interact with, but I didn't.

My problem is that I have no control over what happens to the shipment after it leaves my hands. You want my credit card on file so you can charge me if UPS loses the package or drives over it? The burden is on the customer for Microsoft's mistake?

I start to speak with the manager whose only other option is for me is to wait for a coffin, send the device in, wait for a repair/replacement, and then wait for it to come back. The Kinect, the center-piece of this console, the reason for this console's marketing, would not be accessible to me for a few weeks? Because me, the person who dropped half a grand on this device is going to, again, have the burden placed on him for getting their defective product repaired.

I spent over and hour going back and forth with the gentlemen, again as polite and cordial as possible while asserting that the options are unacceptable. He refused to offer me anything else, he refused to find any way to escalate the issue. My options were my options and that was it. I finally started to ask the gentleman if I should just return the device for a refund if there was no way for him to talk to anyone else to get this problem resolved, and at the end the only thing he can tell me is that he can respect my choice if I return it.

This entire debacle just left me with a bad experience. I was already on the fence about the XBO, but I love gaming and I went ahead and bought it. So now I either gamble with my money that the return package for their defective product won't be lost during the holiday shuffle, wait weeks for replacement/repair, or just give up.

This came out longer than I would have liked, but those are some seriously terrible options and crappy to treat people who dropped half a grand on this thing as if they're the untrustworthy ones. We took a risk, got burned, and Microsoft doesn't want to assume any of the risk for the repair.

Edit: I just want to make it clear that I understand I won't be charged unless the device gets lost, and the device PROBABLY won't get lost, but I just couldn't get over the fact that the burden is on the customer when trying to get the defective device repaired.
Not sure what the problem is, that's standard practice and nobody is treating you like a thief. They can't just take everybody's word and send out new units on good faith. That's how most places will operate. My mothers Kindle Fire broke a few months back and Amazon -- the gods of customer service -- sent a new one out the day we made them aware of the issue. However, they required our details in order to charge us should the allegedly defective unit never show up.

That's where proof of delivery comes in. Should UPS or whoever deals with it loose it or whatever along the way, you can simply show that it was sent and that courier made a balls up.

indie24

Does anyone know how the sign in process works? It picks me up fine and when my daughter walks in it picks her up fine too. The problem is when she is ready to play and she says "Xbox show my stuff" it picks up the command fine but doesn't show her screen, it appears it thinks I am saying it and goes back to my home screen. Do I need to pass her the controller too? I thought it knows where the sound is coming from and should act accordingly.

Marvel

could never
Posted this in the ebay thread, but Xbox One's are selling at ludicrous prices on Ebay (UK).

This one just went for £700+
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MICROSOFT...?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item2c780a1597

Holy shit those prices... stock is being refreshed now as well. At least with ShopTo... they sent me a message the other saying so and I should have it before the 18th of December.

(Was a backorder and now it says PAID) YAY! I'm impatient but not an extra £270 impatient.

Hammer24

Banned
Does anyone know how the sign in process works? It picks me up fine and when my daughter walks in it picks her up fine too. The problem is when she is ready to play and she says "Xbox show my stuff" it picks up the command fine but doesn't show her screen, it appears it thinks I am saying it and goes back to my home screen. Do I need to pass her the controller too? I thought it knows where the sound is coming from and should act accordingly.

Same happens to me and my wife. The X1 always prefers the one holding the controller, no matter who says the command.

Go into Settings>Kinect to see who the Kinect thinks is who. If you have her say "Xbox sign in as *name (not gamertag)*" first it should attach her profile to her if it is confused. I've only used the Xbox One once (lol) with two people using different profiles.

Sh0k

I'm having my first problem with my XBOX ONE. Purchased a copy of COD pre-owned on Monday, went through the installation twice (the first time by some reason failed); played a little bit of the single player campaign and some online multiplayer. Didn't like the game that much and yesterday decided to exchange it for Dead Rising 3, but when I turned on my XBOX yesterday, there is no way to uninstall COD, pressing the menu button under Game & Apps just gives me the option to reinstall, cancel the installation or purchase from the web store.

I cancelled the installation but the icon still in the home menu, decided to select install again thinking that this time will let me uninstall when finished, but after around 3 hours of waiting to finish the installation, now when I select the icon, it tells me that it needs the original disc that I don't have to complete the installation, cancel the installation or go to the web store. Any idea how to get rid of COD? If I select cancel, will it get rid of all the data? I believe COD is around 40+ GB installed and since there is no way to accuarately check what's installed in the system, I'm afraid that is going to stay in my HD.

I'm having my first problem with my XBOX ONE. Purchased a copy of COD pre-owned on Monday, went through the installation twice (the first time by some reason failed); played a little bit of the single player campaign and some online multiplayer. Didn't like the game that much and yesterday decided to exchange it for Dead Rising 3, but when I turned on my XBOX yesterday, there is no way to uninstall COD, pressing the menu button under Game & Apps just gives me the option to reinstall, cancel the installation or purchase from the web store.

I cancelled the installation but the icon still in the home menu, decided to select install again thinking that this time will let me uninstall when finished, but after around 3 hours of waiting to finish the installation, now when I select the icon, it tells me that it needs the original disc that I don't have to complete the installation, cancel the installation or go to the web store. Any idea how to get rid of COD? If I select cancel, will it get rid of all the data? I believe COD is around 40+ GB installed and since there is no way to accuarately check what's installed in the system, I'm afraid that is going to stay in my HD.

Reboot by holding down the power button 5 secs, post results.

I am thinking you can restore factory defaults or something to restart the console as if it were the first time you are using it and just go through the process of setting up again.

GavinGT

Banned

Even if it doesn't delete the data, I wouldn't worry about it since it'll be the first thing to get deleted once the HDD gets maxed out.

EDIT: I just went and tried to delete a game that was only partially installed. As you said, the only options were Reinstall, Cancel, or Purchase. I chose Cancel and the icon disappeared. So that data will get deleted first when the HDD is totally filled, since it'll be the game I haven't played in the longest time.

indie24

Go into Settings>Kinect to see who the Kinect thinks is who. If you have her say "Xbox sign in as *name (not gamertag)*" first it should attach her profile to her if it is confused. I've only used the Xbox One once (lol) with two people using different profiles.

I have tried that too. I thought it had several mics that would know whose talking once it's established where each person is. It has always picked up my daughter in the room but does not always show her home screen until we say it several times.

GavinGT

Banned
I have tried that too. I thought it had several mics that would know whose talking once it's established where each person is. It has always picked up my daughter in the room but does not always show her home screen until we say it several times.

What happens if you leave the camera's view when she says it?

Funally got mine last night, so far its silent like my ps4 and all voice commands work on the first try. But holy shit up didn't know the system interface was this terrible Omg how did they let this interface get released, its as if everything was just tossed anywhere

indie24

What happens if you leave the camera's view when she says it?

Never really tried it, as I'm too lazy to leave the couch :) but will do when I'm home tonight.

TRios Zen

Quick Summary: filed for advanced replacement on Saturday Nov 23rd (screwed GPU), was told I should receive my new box in two days.

Fast forward to today (8 business days, 13 calendar days later) and I do not have my box yet. After multiple calls/chats with MS support, I was finally escalated to the "Tier 3 customer advocacy group" yesterday. Shortly thereafter they over-nighted me a box and I am supposedly receiving it today (per FedEx tracking number).

I'll believe it when I have it, but I guess the moral is that the squeaky wheel gets the oil. IF I hadn't continuously called support I do not know when I would have received my "advanced" replacement. Sad story, but true.

Grisby

keep in mind (since it sometimes isn't obvious) the Kinect can be manually tilted up/down, and you can also go into the settings menu and adjust what Kinect sees as the floor
Yeah, I did that that but it still felt like turning the jet ski was sluggish. Maybe that's the game.

Quick Summary: filed for advanced replacement on Saturday Nov 23rd (screwed GPU), was told I should receive my new box in two days.

Fast forward to today (8 business days, 13 calendar days later) and I do not have my box yet. After multiple calls/chats with MS support, I was finally escalated to the "Tier 3 customer advocacy group" yesterday. Shortly thereafter they over-nighted me a box and I am supposedly receiving it today (per FedEx tracking number).

I'll believe it when I have it, but I guess the moral is that the squeaky wheel gets the oil. IF I hadn't continuously called support I do not know when I would have received my "advanced" replacement. Sad story, but true.

I've had a similar issue with having to be on MS's ass as well. I've been trying to get my day one edition content from digitally purchased copies of Ryse and Forza. My case was escalated but no one got back to me within 2 days. Apparently my gamertag cannot be found by MS when searching by using my email, so that is why the escalation process wasn't working. Things seem to be worked out now, but I wonder if you are having a similar issue.

statham

Yeah, I did that that but it still felt like turning the jet ski was sluggish. Maybe that's the game.

Try powering down and unplugging the console, then turning back on. the couple of times I had issues with motion that fixed it don't know why tho.

TRios Zen

I've had a similar issue with having to be on MS's ass as well. I've been trying to get my day one edition content from digitally purchased copies of Ryse and Forza. My case was escalated but no one got back to me within 2 days. Apparently my gamertag cannot be found by MS when searching by using my email, so that is why the escalation process wasn't working. Things seem to be worked out now, but I wonder if you are having a similar issue.

What I heard from Xbox Forums, is that Advanced Replacement Orders placed the 22-24th of November encountered some kind of glitch and were lost in the MS support system. I do not know if that is true, as that was never "verified" by any MS support agent I spoke with. I do know however that I have an e-mail that says it should take no longer than 2-5 business days and yesterday when I called (before escalation) there was no movement on it whatsoever.

Tomorrow will be two weeks since I bought my One and I have only been able to play Powerstar golf because the visual anomalies on that game are insignificant enough that I could actually play.

UNCMark

Banned
Amazon finally updated their video game sales rankings. Due to MS supplying more Ones the past couple of days, it jumped to #1 with a jump of "1,432,975 percent". Haha that's quite a jump.

Amazon finally updated their video game sales rankings. Due to MS supplying more Ones the past couple of days, it jumped to #1 with a jump of "1,432,975 percent". Haha that's quite a jump.

So, if they weren't selling any two days ago, and their sales increased 1,432,975%, doesn't that mean they sold 14,329.75 consoles yesterday? Must suck to be that guy who got the three fourths of a console.

Thank you Microsoft for removing the region lock of the market place!
I just bought Dead Rising 3 for about 42€
The game is indexed in Germany , so the only way to get this game is to import it from Austria for 75€

My Target just got in their 3rd shipment of X1s and we now have 4 sitting in the case. The only shipment of PS4s we have gotten were from the initial release date in Nov. Crazy too, because there is a lot of demand for the product.

MS seems to at least be handling their supply chain fairly well in the US (can't attest for anywhere else obv).

Chitown B

My Target just got in their 3rd shipment of X1s and we now have 4 sitting in the case. The only shipment of PS4s we have gotten were from the initial release date in Nov. Crazy too, because there is a lot of demand for the product.

MS seems to at least be handling their supply chain fairly well in the US (can't attest for anywhere else obv).

I would imagine Sony is holding some back for Japan, no? Xbox isn't even going to launch there.

pretty sure my controller is faulty. The A button isn't working as should when playing Powerstar Golf, which relies on it heavily. Anyone had any experience of getting a replacement from MS?

Eric WK

Where is your Target if you don't mind my asking?

I work at a Target in the Twin Cities area and obviously want to buy an Xbone there for my discount, but every Target here has been sold out since Sunday. Hoping for a shipment tomorrow.

U2NUMB

I work at a Target in the Twin Cities area and obviously want to buy an Xbone there for my discount, but every Target here has been sold out since Sunday. Hoping for a shipment tomorrow.

I live in the twin cities as well and I have yet to see one in the wild post launch.. and I check every store I go into just to find out .. Already have mine but a couple friends are looking for one so I always take a peek.

Sorry, I should have included that just incase :p. My Target is in eastern Massachusetts, someone can PM me if they are around there for the exact town/store #.

And ya, we just got the shipment in yesterday, so it's possible other Targets may get similar shipments soon. I don't blame you about wanting to use the discount, 15% is a nice little chunk. I kind of wished I waited to get it from here, haha.

simples

Banned
mine makes really quiet noises like it's downloading or installing some in silent mode at night, I heard it after turning everything off and going to bed

and last night I woke up and and saw it turned on by itself

what's going on

Sdoots

I live in the twin cities as well and I have yet to see one in the wild post launch.. and I check every store I go into just to find out .. Already have mine but a couple friends are looking for one so I always take a peek.

A friend of mine was telling me he went into the downtown Minneapolis Target a few days ago and they had something like twenty Xbox Ones left. Might be worth looking into if you are willing to put up with both Minneapolis drivers and the snow. Was pretty treacherous this morning.

malfcn

Plugging in my Sony KDL-46VE5 to compare to the Samsung UN55FH6003F.

The sheer size of the 55 is awesome. But I still can't get over the picture. It feels like way more banding of colors and weird lighting. And AC4 has weird flicking (from sharpening?). Fiancee wants to keep the 55, but if the PQ is bad I can't overlook it.

I can't figure out the upload studio... Can you only save changes to videos by uploading them? ...When I try to "trim" a video, I can never get it to work for some reason.

Top Bottom