• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

IRQ

Banned
Guys,

Does the power brick make some noise? Not a loud noise, I can hear it if I sit one meter away from the TV.Like a fan noise or something. Its hard to explain the noise :p

I cant hear the console, But if I come real close I can hear the fans working.

Are these things normal or am I being paranoid? :D

PSGames

For those of you with the disc drive issues. This grinding noise happens regardless of the disc right? So blurays, games, etc all exhibit the same behavior?

I ask because I've only purchased digital games so far but want to check my drive with a bluray disc to see if it's faulty or not.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I liked the "You Made This" controllers so much that I made my own. Minus the words on it.

Man, I love Plasti Dip.

WActzsq.jpg

w8oRLtO.jpg

Lima

Thanks. I have added them to my basket. :)

EDIT:

Oh wait, the black ones? These?

Yeah man.

You know what they say. Once you go black you'll never go back...

Guys,

Does the power brick make some noise? Not a loud noise, I can hear it if I sit one meter away from the TV.Like a fan noise or something. Its hard to explain the noise :p

I cant hear the console, But if I come real close I can hear the fans working.

Are these things normal or am I being paranoid? :D

Yeah there is a fan inside the power brick. A super tiny 30mm. That thing makes some noise.

IRQ

Banned
Yeah man.

Yeah there is a fan inside the power brick. A super tiny 30mm. That thing makes some noise.

Thanks Lima :)

And fan on the console does make noise if you come closer to it right? Like a working fan.

Anyone has a video about how a normal fan sounds?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
My XB1 started acting up last night and has continued today. It now doesn't turn my TV off or on when I turn the Xbox on. I went to the settings and tried to get into TV and One Guide settings but the settings app won't load up. It gets stuck on the icon screen. The console itself doesn't freeze though. Also, I re-calibrated the Kinect the other day and I think it might be too sensitive now. "Random" it will act as if it heard, "Xbox...". I'm going to re-calibrate the Kinect one more time and see how that goes.

daedalius

So, how do I get my xbox to turn on my tv and receiver?

Is it somewhere in the xbox menus? or is it something that I need to set up within the TV and receiver themselves?

Why is it always bittersweet with Xbox?

Super Time Force announced for X1, MS Vicoria shutdown.

Well, Victoria didn't expand as they were supposed to, Don Mattrick left (it seemed to be his baby), Superannuation suggested they weren't even developing a game so perhaps we haven't lost anything in terms of a project that was cancelled (obviously the loss of jobs is a shame, I hope everyone finds somewhere new quickly).

The piece has this quote: “This was not an easy decision, but one guided by our desire to centralize development in our Vancouver studios,” Well Black Tusk and Big Park are in Vancouver, so perhaps they're seeing good results and increasing BT or perhaps making them a multi-game studio...

I did tweet Phil Spencer about it but I doubt he'll respond. I personally think he's doing a good job in charge of Microsoft Studios and I doubt he just woke up one day and decided to sack the studio off. Hopefully they're planning other things

mrdark

Banned
Are they requiring you to send back the whole bundle, or just the unit itself?

Amazon is sending an entirely new Xbox One Day One to me overnight. Microsoft..I have no idea. At first they wanted the Kinect only, then the console and Kinect, then just the Kinect again.

KamenSenshi

Would it be possible to plug in a Chromecast into the HDMI in? I was thinking about getting one for my brother but we only have 2 HDMI ports on our tv that are being used by the cable box and the xbox.

Yep, I was using that setup. Of course the voice control to pause and such dont work, but its good otherwise.

Doffen

Well, Victoria didn't expand as they were supposed to, Don Mattrick left (it seemed to be his baby), Superannuation suggested they weren't even developing a game so perhaps we haven't lost anything in terms of a project that was cancelled (obviously the loss of jobs is a shame, I hope everyone finds somewhere new quickly).

The piece has this quote: “This was not an easy decision, but one guided by our desire to centralize development in our Vancouver studios,” Well Black Tusk and Big Park are in Vancouver, so perhaps they're seeing good results and increasing BT or perhaps making them a multi-game studio...

I did tweet Phil Spencer about it but I doubt he'll respond. I personally think he's doing a good job in charge of Microsoft Studios and I doubt he just woke up one day and decided to sack the studio off. Hopefully they're planning other things

The thing that annoys me the most is the fact that the studios at Microsoft Studios are turning into a "Uno Franchise Studio". Turn 10 with Forza, Lionhead with Fable, Rare with Kinect Sports, 343i only Halo. I can cope with Turn 10 and 343i only working on Forza and Halo, but Rare and Lionhead should have the opportunity to do a lot more.

I just want to be surprised.
For me it seems like Microsoft only dares to take creative risks when it comes to small studios like PressPlay and Twisted Pixel. I want more of this.

Black Tusk will probably also end up being a 1 IP studio.

I'm negative today.

mhi

Picked it up for the tv voice control but it won't let me see the tv guide w/out gold ? do they have any plans to change this, there should be more outrage. if not, does anyone have a code ?

see5harp

Cool thanks, found it and got it setup.

Great feature.

Truly awesome when you wake up or just before bed. The only time it sorta sucks is when you want to turn off your XBOX and use a different console or vice versa. The XBOX turns everything off and then you gotta get up to turn the TV and receiver back on.

I posted this in another thread because I'm still interested in the multimedia capabilities of the X1. Does anyone have a comprehensive list of features and functions that DO NOT require XBL Gold?

The thing that annoys me the most is the fact that the studios at Microsoft Studios are turning into a "Uno Franchise Studio". Turn 10 with Forza, Lionhead with Fable, Rare with Kinect Sports, 343i only Halo. I can cope with Turn 10 and 343i only working on Forza and Halo, but Rare and Lionhead should have the opportunity to do a lot more.

I just want to be surprised.
For me it seems like Microsoft only dares to take creative risks when it comes to small studios like PressPlay and Twisted Pixel. I want more of this.

Black Tusk will probably also end up being a 1 IP studio.

I'm negative today.

Im of the opinion personally that Lionhead are doing a new IP.
The linkedin profile that said "Fable Legends + Unannounced game" was the start of my thoughts, in recent months they've made Ted Timmins head of fable franchise (yet not studio head which you'd think that position would be filled by if they were only doing Fable...) and had job listings posted at the same time split between specifically mentioning Legends and also not specifying a game.

We also know Rare are splitting into a multi-team studio again after KSR is done (Phil said on twitter they were close to choosing their next projects). Turn10/343i are set in stone already so not much to say there admittedly.

We have games like Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, D4 coming. Ruffian's new game which I think is MS published (Crackdown 3 or something else?), Black Tusk game, theres plenty of reasons to be positive right now!

FourDoor

My XB1 started acting up last night and has continued today. It now doesn't turn my TV off or on when I turn the Xbox on. I went to the settings and tried to get into TV and One Guide settings but the settings app won't load up. It gets stuck on the icon screen. The console itself doesn't freeze though. Also, I re-calibrated the Kinect the other day and I think it might be too sensitive now. "Random" it will act as if it heard, "Xbox...". I'm going to re-calibrate the Kinect one more time and see how that goes.

I had the same issue a few days ago. I had to powercycle the XB1 twice to get it to work again properly. It's as if it forgot it had to send the IR commands since the XB1 would still turn on but not the TV, Receiver, or DTV Box. *shrug*

This has happened to me as well. Press the power button and hold it for 5 seconds. That will be a full shut down, wait a few minutes and fire it back up. You may need to re-calibrate but it should be all good from there. Don't be too hard on kinect because it really doesn't work perfectly and you're naturally going to run into sensitivity issues. Its early on in its life after all.

I posted this in another thread because I'm still interested in the multimedia capabilities of the X1. Does anyone have a comprehensive list of features and functions that DO NOT require XBL Gold?

The rule of thumb I use is that if it's something that requires data from the internet, gold is required.

I guess the couple exceptions are cloud saves and buying stuff from the marketplace? But yeah, if you don't pay for gold, don't really expect more than the bare minimum needed to play single player games, I guess.

Got my xbone yesterday, it turns my tv\receiver\dvr on just fine. It turns off the tv and dvr but it won't turn off the receiver even though it turns it on, any ideas?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i think i discovered an unintended (?) benefit MS may see with kinect and voice controls...

my 11.5 month old son, after hear me turn on the xbox one just now, is running around saying "xbox" over and over again. that brand power.

is there anyway to record a clip through kinect to share? maybe through upload studio, but not game related?

sangreal

i think i discovered an unintended (?) benefit MS may see with kinect and voice controls...

my 11.5 month old son, after hear me turn on the xbox one just now, is running around saying "xbox" over and over again. that brand power.

is there anyway to record a clip through kinect to share? maybe through upload studio, but not game related?
yes, through upload studio

Yeah upload studio, record with Kinect. I think you have to include a game clip tho.

I don't know, one of the featured clips is just some kid saying xbox is cool and to remember to click like and subscribe to his channel (??)

GavinGT

Banned
Yup, everything is checked in options too.

That's weird. As you've probably noticed, the console only sends a toggle on/off signal to the devices. So for whatever reason it's simply not sending that signal when the console turns off. Maybe try resetting all the TV/device settings via the option in the menu. Also try a full power down, accomplished by holding down the power button for 5 seconds.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Yeah upload studio, record with Kinect. I think you have to include a game clip tho.

you dont actually. one of the options is game clip or clip through kinect :)

it wasnt so hot to record him because as soon as he saw himself on tv he was mesmerized. i got a few "ecks" out of him, but couldn't myself say xbox to get him to copy without bringing up the xbox voice commands.

Hawk269

Yeah man.

Mine is silent, like my console. Even with all my stuff off, I cannot hear anything unless I drop to my knees and put my ear next to the system or close to the power brick.

Satchel

Banned
Ok so I just called 2 or 3 of my local JB Hifi stores (largest electronics retailer in Oz, second largest for gaming) to see if I could snag Ryse Day One edition (pre-ordered one but cancelled after the reviews).

Fucking sold out of all editions. Day one and regular. What the fuck.

Gonna call more stores.

Top Bottom