• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

When you turn the console back on does it turn the receiver off then?

That's weird. As you've probably noticed, the console only sends a toggle on/off signal to the devices. So for whatever reason it's simply not sending that signal when the console turns off. Maybe try resetting all the TV/device settings via the option in the menu. Also try a full power down, accomplished by holding down the power button for 5 seconds.

Thanks, held the power button for 5 seconds and turned it back on, its turning everything on\off as it should now.

Hawk269

Thanks, held the power button for 5 seconds and turned it back on, its turning everything on\off as it should now.

Yeah it is a known problem. It happens after 4-5 days of it being in stand by mode. Someone here mentioned that it had something to do with the memory not being cleared or something. I first discovered the issue after 6 days of use and it would not "Watch TV". It would go to it and just sit there. I did a 100% shutdown and rebooted and it worked like a charm. Then about 5 or so days later it did it again with the Watch TV working, but it not sending the signal to my receiver, tv or cable box when turning it off.

That is when a fellow gaffer said about holding the power button down for about 5 seconds or so. Previously, I was going to the settings to turn off Stand By Mode, but now just doing the power button thing works fine. I figure, I will just do a complete power down every 3-4 days or so since it is not a long process to do it.

I hope MS is working on this as there design was to have it on 24/7, but if you have to power it down to clear out the corruption or whatever is happening, it does not make it like any other device in my entertainment center.

Hawk269

Jesus Christ that was adorable.

That should be the first step in everyone's Xbox One troubleshooting escapades.

100% for sure! So many people have resolved issues by just doing a power cycle of the unit.

I would say this and when people set up Kinect, they need to blast their audio and when the Kinect says "your audio is too loud" then turn it down slightly and try again until it let's it run through the set up at the highest possible volume. I have helped so many people make Kinect work a lot better by just doing this. The loudness helps it configure the microphone array to make it easier to pick up human voice over the audio of gaming/watching TV.

Does anyone remember that dude who got his XB1 two weeks early from Target? One of the many screens he posted had a page of popular games and it even showed how many people were playing each game.

I thought that was neat, but I have yet to find that exact screen on my console. I suspect that was the "most popular" page from the games store, and they just removed the ability to see how many people were playing each game.

GavinGT

Banned
Does anyone remember that dude who got his XB1 two weeks early from Target? One of the many screens he posted had a page of popular games and it even showed how many people were playing each game.

I thought that was neat, but I have yet to find that exact screen on my console. I suspect that was the "most popular" page from the games store, and they just removed the ability to see how many people were playing each game.

e3e477bb001822fd19460d52abeb5daf.png

I imagine it was just for pre-release users, so that they wouldn't be sitting around forever trying to find a game online.

PG2G

I'm hoping someone calls me an idiot, but do NONE of the Xbox One apps have voice commands outside of simply choosing on screen text/tiles?

It is pretty much useless to do voice commanding within Netflix, Xbox Music, or Youtube if you can't do something as simple as search.

If I'm not missing something, this needs to change ASAP.

Networker

Banned

Yeah that was a neat feature. Turns out it didn't make it into final cut.

GavinGT

Banned
I'm hoping someone calls me an idiot, but do NONE of the Xbox One apps have voice commands outside of simply choosing on screen text/tiles?

It is pretty much useless to do voice commanding within Netflix, Xbox Music, or Youtube if you can't do something as simple as search.

Saying "Xbox select" when the app is in full screen should bring up all the contextual voice commands for an app. Try it in IE to see what I mean. "Xbox Bing" searches all apps, but should get you where you need to go in Netflix or Xbox Music.

sangreal

As mentioned above, yes, you're missing something but rather than just take the advice to try "xbox select" (which is correct), I'd recommend doing the tutorial

Just note that once you say Xbox Select and everything turns green, you do not prefix your selections with "xbox"

PG2G

Saying "Xbox select" when the app is in full screen should bring up all the contextual voice commands for an app. Try it in IE to see what I mean.

It pretty much just highlights the text associated with all of the onscreen GUI elements. For example, I can't for example... search for an artist using voice. I'd say Search, and then have to type in what in searching for.

Maybe they want us to use Bing for everything, but that is a terrible solution IMO.

sangreal

It pretty much just highlights the text associated with all of the onscreen GUI elements. For example, I can't say... search for an artist using voice. I'd say Search, and then have to type in what in searching for.

Maybe they want us to use Bing for everything, but that is a terrible solution IMO.

yes, bing searches within apps too

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Do your search with Xbox Bing and it'll tell you all the apps that can play that content. So I can say "Xbox Bing - Ghostbusters" then "Netflix" then "Play Movie". I've been doing this a lot with music "Xbox Bing - music Lana Del Rey" and it'll bring up her albums, I say the name of the album and it boots into Xbox Music. Then "Play Album". You can also search for genres like "Xbox Bing - Music - Jazz" and it'll bring up popular albums.

PG2G

yes, bing searches within apps too

That needs to change, hopefully the APIs allow them to do more with voice and the apps just need more time in the oven.

I just searched for something in Bing that I know that is available in Netflix. It only gives the option to play in Xbox Video. For that to be a good option they'd really need to ensure that their databases are in sync.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Yeah, that makes sense. Don't see why they wouldn't leave that in there though.

I'm sure developers would complain. If you have have a choice between the two basketball games, not knowing that one is a piece a shit, you might buy the shit one but not if you can see that other one has way more people playing it.

Taurus

Anyone else having problem with the party chat? I can't get it working with my friend. Every time we get "We cannot turn on the party chat right now. Please try again later" error message.

I checked my connection settings and everything appears to be fine. NAT type is open etc. Same with my friend's.

We got the workaround by using skype, but while playing BF4 in the same squad the game's squad chat is also open! So we are hearing each others voices twice and echoed while everybody else in the same squad also hears us. How stupid is this? I just realized I haven't checked the game settings if there's an option to turn off squad chat.

P.s BF4 on Xbone is pure crap. Unplayable at the moment. What a POS. Not gonna buy premium until they fix the vanilla.

GavinGT

Banned
Just plugged my laptop into the HDMI in port. I'm so glad that it works with my HDTV/PC monitor set up. Thanks MS! :p

It's totally awesome and solves any multimedia nitpicks I'd otherwise have. I only wish there was some way I could seamlessly control the PC with my controller.

Anion

Anyone else having problem with the party chat? I can't get it working with my friend. Every time we get "We cannot turn on the party chat right now. Please try again later" error message.

I checked my connection settings and everything appears to be fine. NAT type is open etc. Same with my friend's.

We got the workaround by using skype, but while playing BF4 in the same squad the game's squad chat is also open! So we are hearing each others voices twice and echoed while everybody else in the same squad also hears us. How stupid is this? I just realized I haven't checked the game settings if there's an option to turn off squad chat.

P.s BF4 on Xbone is pure crap. Unplayable at the moment. What a POS. Not gonna buy premium until they fix the vanilla.

Yeah, party chat is kinda screwed up. Sometimes to fix it, my friend restarts his xbox (standby) and if fixes it. I think there is a way to turn of in game voice though for BF4. I cant say the same for forza...

mrg6290

Ya. There is a setting to disable all in game chat in BF4.

In regards to party chat issue, you likely have BF4 loaded when trying to turn it on. This results in that error for tons of people. The shifty workaround is to fully close BF4, party up and turn on chat, and then restart BF4. That works every time for me and my mate.

The Flash

Banned
It's totally awesome and solves any multimedia nitpicks I'd otherwise have. I only wish there was some way I could seamlessly control the PC with my controller.

ZSOkPZA.jpg

Look! Look at what we've created! Snapception!

For some reason sound isn't coming out of my laptop now. Any ideas?

RangersFan

anyone else have issues with using HDMI cable's other than the included one? I had some shaky connection with an existing monoprice hdmi that i was using for 360. It would lose connection if i even slightly jostle my xbone a little bit. Tested the cable with other devices and it worked just fine. Finally got fed up with it when I moved the xbone again so I dug out the official one that came with it and it works fine now, weird.

JLeack

Banned
Can I just say that Skype is a huge deal for me? I'm mostly a PC gamer and have lots of friends who use Skype. Being able to talk between PC and console is incredible.

biRdy

anyone else have issues with using HDMI cable's other than the included one? I had some shaky connection with an existing monoprice hdmi that i was using for 360. It would lose connection if i even slightly jostle my xbone a little bit. Tested the cable with other devices and it worked just fine. Finally got fed up with it when I moved the xbone again so I dug out the official one that came with it and it works fine now, weird.

dat hdmi quality

Calibus

Still haven't been able to get my hands on an XB1 yet. What's the consensus on the controller --- step forward, back, or same as 360?

Still haven't been able to get my hands on an XB1 yet. What's the consensus on the controller --- step forward, back, or same as 360?

As an fps player I would say the feel of the controller is somehow a little better than the 360. I like the triggers as well and the bumpers I don't have a problem with. The sticks though... First off I feel that they're too small in diameter. Second they are way too touchy. My aim is all over the place when I push too hard. The 360 sticks were perfect in my opinion I don't know why they changed it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I actually am liking it more, so far. The bumpers, triggers, and sticks feel great. I love the texture they have on the outer rim. Still need to play an FPS and see how that fares, though.

The biggest point of conversation is the bumpers, and it mostly seems to depend how you hit them on the 360.

GavinGT

Banned

The shell feels great in my hands. I didn't realize how unnatural the 360 controller felt to me until just recently trying to use it again.

I can't comment on the sticks yet as I haven't played an FPS using them yet. I am getting paranoid about the rubber grip around the edges wearing away, though, as I really like having it there.

The bumpers took some adjusting, but now I'm used to them and they feel pretty much the same. They kind of forced me to adjust how I press them by making the innermost portions not clickable, but after hours of use I'm finding that it's actually much more comfortable to use them this way.

The good way to use the bumpers (at an angle):
d7urCIR.jpg

The bad way (straight-on)
Bftwbg9.jpg

So far, I think it's a definite improvement as far as comfort. And the D-pad is much better at menu navigation/weapon selecting, but apparently no good for fighting games (I just use the stick anyways).

MrMephistoX

So is there a special trick to getting recievers to work? If I plug the xbox into the reliever I get not video if I plug the receiver into the xbox I get no audio from my speakers.

Do I have to reset the whole setup process from scratch or something?

So is there a special trick to getting recievers to work? If I plug the xbox into the reliever I get not video if I plug the receiver into the xbox I get no audio from my speakers.

Didn't have any issues with my HDMI receiver. Have you used other HDMI devices on it? I literally just plugged my Xbox One into the port the 360 was previously using, and everything worked fine.

I have an Onkyo receiver, if that matters

oVerde

Banned

Is your video set to 720p and digital audio disabled?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Just got my xb1 and when I hook everything up I my monitor doesn't recognize the console. Tried on my tv and no dice also. tried two different HDMI cables.

Top Bottom