• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

GavinGT

Banned
I have the console in a way that is hard to see, Didn't think that there would be in/out HDMI plugs in the back lol. Checking now, thanks.

HDMI in lets you plug in your cable box/PC/whatever so you can use multiple devices within the Xbox One interface. It's really neat (not sure if you knew that or not).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
http://sdrv.ms/1bLv5Q8

Here's a random snippet from Legendary difficulty on Ryse. It's surprisingly tough, enemies hit very hard, the red glow the hard to block attacks have is removed, combos break muuuuuch faster naturally and especially if you whiff, executions barely give you stuff, and even then if you mess up any of the inputs you get nothing. Have to really be watching the surroundings and enemy animations...I'm mad that I dropped the combo at the end here, haha.

Not too bad for crytek's first stab at a genre like this.

cheezcake

So I just finished Ryse, played through on Centurion difficulty and I have to say...

I enjoyed that a hell of a lot more than I expected. The issue with the game was mainly lack of depth to the combat, but the attack moves and executions that were there felt great and the environment and setpiece design was gorgeous.

A more fleshed out sequel could really turn the series into a pretty fantastic IP

So my Xbox doesnt interface with the TV or cable box unless you turn the kinect around and point it right at them. Is there anyway to fix this besides getting an IR Blaster? Will that fix it?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
A more fleshed out sequel could really turn the series into a pretty fantastic IP

Crytek did just hire a lead programmer from GoW3 and GoW: Ascension to be a director for an upcoming game. I'm thinking it's Ryse 2, and the combat could be glorious.

smurphdogg

Neo Member
Hey here's a fun fact. Xbox One purchases don't qualify for Xbox Live Rewards. Total horseshit move by Microsoft. Spent money on downloading games on the new Xbox thinking I'd get my 3% rebate. Noticed my rewards summary for November seemed low so I checked the support forums found this little gem.
12-06-2013 2:14 AM

Verified Answer
Verified by XBLRewards3

Hi Violentblurr. Per our FAQ, most purchases for the Xbox 360 from the Xbox Stores qualify, including full games on demand, arcade games, indie games, game add-ons, game season passes, Movies, TV shows, TV seasons, themes and Avatar items. However, the purchase or redemption of an Xbox Live Gold membership, Xbox Music passes, Xbox Video TV season passes, and the purchase or redemption of Microsoft Points or Xbox Gift Cards, do not qualify. At this time, only Xbox 360 purchases qualify. Do check back as this may change in the future. Thanks.

Such a simple thing to carry over and they fudged it up. Shaking my head.
tumblr_mr8y0k98H81rzianao1_500.gif

Hawk269

http://sdrv.ms/1bLv5Q8

Here's a random snippet from Legendary difficulty on Ryse. It's surprisingly tough, enemies hit very hard, the red glow the hard to block attacks have is removed, combos break muuuuuch faster naturally and especially if you whiff, executions barely give you stuff, and even then if you mess up any of the inputs you get nothing. Have to really be watching the surroundings and enemy animations...I'm mad that I dropped the combo at the end here, haha.

Not too bad for crytek's first stab at a genre like this.

Good job man. I am almost at that same location in my Legendary play through. Still can't believe people think this is a mindless button masher. Your video alone proves there is a lot of finesse to playing this game and some good timing.

Chitown B

Hey here's a fun fact. Xbox One purchases don't qualify for Xbox Live Rewards. Total horseshit move by Microsoft. Spent money on downloading games on the new Xbox thinking I'd get my 3% rebate. Noticed my rewards summary for November seemed low so I checked the support forums found this little gem.

They did a whole announcement that they were retooling the rewards system now that they got rid of points - in August. Where were you?

Sh0k

Anyone concerned about the HD size? I have 6 games installed at the moment and they all together use around 225GB. That's half the size of the hard drive, without knowing how much space is dedicated to the operating system, I have no idea how much space I have left.

Any ideas if MS wil allow to swap the HD or at least be able to hook up an external storage option?

Chitown B

Anyone concerned about the HD size? I have 6 games installed at the moment and they all together use around 225GB. That's half the size of the hard drive, without knowing how much space is dedicated to the operating system, I have no idea how much space I have left.

Any ideas if MS wil allow to swap the HD or at least be able to hook up an external storage option?

they announced external storage months ago. it isn't on yet, but will be soon.

I hope they give the option to show storage space, however it's been said by MS that the system will take care of removing and redownloading what it needs as you go - everything is in the cloud, so it really doesn't matter.

Hawk269

Eventually they said they will allow support for External HDD's. My PS4 is in the same position, but so far Sony has not said anything about allowing external HDD's, only the ability to replace the internal one.

I am in the same boat as you, but I have 2 more games and I know I must be getting close as well.

Tablo

They are adding USB hard drive support, so just hang tight until that drops, hopefully by early 2014.

Prophezz

Banned
For those of you with the disc drive issues. This grinding noise happens regardless of the disc right? So blurays, games, etc all exhibit the same behavior?

I ask because I've only purchased digital games so far but want to check my drive with a bluray disc to see if it's faulty or not.

Yeah it should be any disc from the get-go.

smurphdogg

Neo Member
They did a whole announcement that they were retooling the rewards system now that they got rid of points - in August. Where were you?

I was here. When I go to rewards.xbox.com/vip this is what I see.
You achieved, now receive.

You've unlocked: Master

It's the perfect way to get rewarded for having fun on Xbox One and Xbox 360. As a Gold member, MyAchievements lets you unlock four levels of payback based on your Gamerscore— Contender, Champion, Legend or Master. The higher the tier, the greater the rebate you'll receive on purchases in the Xbox Stores when you spend at least $10!

You've reached the pinnacle of gaming greatness. As a Master, enjoy 300 Rewards Credits for every $10 USD spent in the Xbox Stores.

Could you tell me when they said Xbox One purchase wouldn't count? Genuinely curious.

Sobriquet

Yeah, it sucks. They also removed the ability to earn points just for playing new games.

At the risk of getting completely bitched at I have a legit question.

I have an XBOne sitting under the tree, and i'm a little curious about the performance of the console. I've had two of my coworkers have issues with their kinects not functioning on their systems not to long after purchase. Has anyone else noticed any particular bugs to be aware of?

For reference I got a PS4 on launch day and was very particular about the HDMI issue that had plagued some users. All was good for me for a few days until suddenly the cable just stopped working. Switch to another cable I had around the house and no more issues.

I know all launches have issues and things going on from time to time with new hardware, i'm just curious if any of you fellow gaffers have dealt with anything, or are aware of anything I should be mindful of when I get to final open mine up.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I have an XBOne sitting under the tree, and i'm a little curious about the performance of the console. I've had two of my coworkers have issues with their kinects not functioning on their systems not to long after purchase. Has anyone else noticed any particular bugs to be aware of?

For reference I got a PS4 on launch day and was very particular about the HDMI issue that had plagued some users. All was good for me for a few days until suddenly the cable just stopped working. Switch to another cable I had around the house and no more issues.

I know all launches have issues and things going on from time to time with new hardware, i'm just curious if any of you fellow gaffers have dealt with anything, or are aware of anything I should be mindful of when I get to final open mine up.

The biggest immediate thing that seems to be a problem is the console noise. The thing is damned quiet, so if you have a pretty audible drive when running a disk it's messed up.

Otherwise the other semicommon one seems to be a randomly disconnecting controller. Not sure if that's on the console end of the control itself. I haven't seen many reports of just the kinect having something wrong with it.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Could be the effect of new technology, but I actually really like the new xb1 UI. Like, more than the ps3 or x360. Haven't tried out the ps4 yet though.

sangreal

the most common issues are the broken disc drive or a loud fan (should be near silent) on either the system or power brick

Hawk269

I have had a few issues as others have here, but the majority of the issues are corrected by completely shutting down the system (cold boot). Also with Kinect, when setting it up (doing the calibration) turn up the volume very high, this helps the Kinect set up it's microphone array a bit better.

Outside of that, I have not had any major issues. Just little things here nad there, but everything has been fixed by doing a complete power shutdown and restarting the system. Personally, I have had more issues with my PS4 than with the Xbox One.

The biggest immediate thing that seems to be a problem is the console noise. The thing is damned quiet, so if you have a pretty audible drive when running a disk it's messed up.

Otherwise the other semicommon one seems to be a randomly disconnecting controller. Not sure if that's on the console end of the control itself. I haven't seen many reports of just the kinect having something wrong with it.

the most common issues are the broken disc drive or a loud fan (should be near silent) on either the system or power brick

If you could elaborate as to which previous systems it shouldn't sound like that might help. I swear morning of i'm gonna be paranoid as hell listening to the drive. We talking OG 360 loud or much louder?

I have had a few issues as others have here, but the majority of the issues are corrected by completely shutting down the system (cold boot). Also with Kinect, when setting it up (doing the calibration) turn up the volume very high, this helps the Kinect set up it's microphone array a bit better.

Outside of that, I have not had any major issues. Just little things here nad there, but everything has been fixed by doing a complete power shutdown and restarting the system. Personally, I have had more issues with my PS4 than with the Xbox One.

I'll take both of these into account, setting up kinect with the volume up, as well as cold booting to fix any minor quirks.

Thanks again for the information I appreciate it.

Now just to figure out what to pick up to play =)
Leaning towards Dead Rising 3

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
With your sound muted after an extended play session, you guys are saying you still can't hear the console? Seems crazy. Mine sounds like a fairly quiet/mild sounding PC.

Alx

Yeah, it sucks. They also removed the ability to earn points just for playing new games.

That's a double bummer. I expected to earn some points with the several One launch games I'm playing... oh well, the cumulated reward was ridiculously low anyway.

Hammer24

Banned
...I've had two of my coworkers have issues with their kinects not functioning on their systems not to long after purchase. ..

Make sure to be aware of one particular thing: this is no plug-and-play box.

You HAVE to take the time to calibrate everything, to get everything working as its supposed too. Most of the troubleshooting in this thread here was about this.

nbraun80

Make sure to be aware of one particular thing: this is no plug-and-play box.

You HAVE to take the time to calibrate everything, to get everything working as its supposed too. Most of the troubleshooting in this thread here was about this.

Very true, and to add to this, many issues can be solved with fully turning the system off as well. Mine was registering every comment except it refused to understand me saying yes after saying Xbox turn off. It was so weird so I let it go into standby and then unplugged the power brick and restarted and it worked. I know a few people in here have said to do this as well.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
With your sound muted after an extended play session, you guys are saying you still can't hear the console? Seems crazy. Mine sounds like a fairly quiet/mild sounding PC.

Correct. Mine is basically silent! Even after 5 hour play sessions.

I cannot stand using my PS3 or 360 anymore due to the racket they cause! I am just pleased I finally have a silent Bluray player :)

Top Bottom