• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

So . . . I decided to finally crack into Dead Rising 3 about 36 hours ago. When I haven't been sleeping or eating, I've pretty much been unable to tear myself away from it. Why did I wait so long?!

I wasn't doubting my Day One purchase of an Xbox One before. Now I'm *really* happy I bought it on day one. Now, the Playstation 4 . . . that thing hasn't seen any playtime in awhile already. I'm kind of sad for it.

Seriously though. Dead Rising 3. The second I saw a sea of zombies for the first time, I almost cried tears of joy. I will say, it does take a long time to load into the game . . . but not experiencing any load times for transitions? AMAZING! Abso-fucking-lutely amazing!

Addictive game for sure. So much fun but my only criticism would be the maps sometimes and the time limit. I understand the reason but I always thought that timelimits are the residue of bad game design.

krumble

I need to get an xbox one pre-xmas in the uk - anyone any tips or ideas?
I think my sister is out of luck to be honest.. but got to try...

Alx

If you can't find any on the UK market, maybe try to order one online from France or Germany, local Amazon (.de or .fr) seem to ship them before Christmas.
*edit : forgot about the power plug issue. Maybe you'll need an adapter, unless you can buy the appropriate power cable separately.

MysteryM

Seriously tempted to trade my xbox one in tomorrow and just get the money back and hold off until something that i actually want to play comes along. I bought ghosts but the multiplayer has been as flawed as hell.

MW tends to be a known quantity - its not the most skillful multiplayer game but you know what you are getting, quick kills, care packages, progression etc. This version has been terrible, you just can't seem to string enough kills together unless you camp like crazy for fear of someone spawning next to you.

I've tried to love the xbox, (i had the OG xbox and 360 both on the first day and never had any thoughts of having made the wrong choice), but i'm really concerned that the power of this thing is going to be a problem for me going forward and just want to sell it on whilst i can before it starts dropping in price due to availability.Its that coupled with the crappy party experiance, with friends constantly having to ping party requests to each other to eventually end up in a game together - trying to find the right combination of cancelling an existing party invite so that the next one works,

I'm going to wait until next year and see what destiny brings and then decide which machine to buy. I'm a big halo fan and am hoping that bungie can fill the void that 343 couldn't. If that game runs better on ps4 i'm going ps4 this generation (given that they both run dedicated servers).

Its not a financial decision (i.e. i'm not freeing up money - i could quite easily have both now), i just don't want both as i'd never get the time in to make both purchases worthwhile.

GavinGT

Banned
Seriously tempted to trade my xbox one in tomorrow and just get the money back and hold off until something that i actually want to play comes along. I bought ghosts but the multiplayer has been as flawed as hell.

MW tends to be a known quantity - its not the most skillful multiplayer game but you know what you are getting, quick kills, care packages, progression etc. This version has been terrible, you just can't seem to string enough kills together unless you camp like crazy for fear of someone spawning next to you.

I've tried to love the xbox, (i had the OG xbox and 360 both on the first day and never had any thoughts of having made the wrong choice), but i'm really concerned that the power of this thing is going to be a problem for me going forward and just want to sell it on whilst i can before it starts dropping in price due to availability.Its that coupled with the crappy party experiance, with friends constantly having to ping party requests to each other to eventually end up in a game together - trying to find the right combination of cancelling an existing party invite so that the next one works,

I'm going to wait until next year and see what destiny brings and then decide which machine to buy. I'm a big halo fan and am hoping that bungie can fill the void that 343 couldn't. If that game runs better on ps4 i'm going ps4 this generation (given that they both run dedicated servers).

Its not a financial decision (i.e. i'm not freeing up money - i could quite easily have both now), i just don't want both as i'd never get the time in to make both purchases worthwhile.

Titanfall is in like three months.

Also, have you tried Dead Rising? It's pretty kick-ass.

timlot

Banned

I've gotten the urge to take mine back at times with all the PS4 hype, but as right now there 12 multiplat games with only 3 exhibiting resolution differences. COD,BF,AC. I've been weighing that vs giving up all of XB1 UI features and I just can't do it. I might as well just hook my xb360 back up if I want the 'just a game console' experience. Got about 10 games a still need to crack open on it.

My gaming was about 25% of my tv time. Now the ratio is so mixed because I just jump into a game, watch tv, resume back into the game, snap tv to the side, bring up IE with neogaf loaded to see new topics, jump back to game and tv. The UI is a like game in of itself. I don't want to go back.

theytookourjobz

Finally got a chance to play the XB1 at the a Microsoft Store after seeing controller-less demo stations at every Best Buy and Gamestop near me. The MS store is sort of neat and they had a few Xbox Ones set up throughout the store being projected on the walls. Seems like they've modeled their retail stores after Apple but not entirely successfully. Didn't get a chance to try out and voice commands but I played a bit of Forza, KI, and Madden. Forza and KI look pretty good but Madden was indistinguishable from the 360 version. The UI was pretty fast but seemed I focused and disorganized. Surprisingly I was most disappointed by the controller. I didn't have a problem getting the new bumpers to register but they felt so much cheaper and worse than the 360 controller. There's not enough on either system to push me over the top right now but I fully expected to be tempted to buy an XB1 on the spot and I just wasn't.

Bgamer90

Banned
Surprisingly I was most disappointed by the controller. I didn't have a problem getting the new bumpers to register but they felt so much cheaper and worse than the 360 controller. There's not enough on either system to push me over the top right now but I fully expected to be tempted to buy an XB1 on the spot and I just wasn't.

Do you use your finger tips to press the bumpers?

gamers

Banned
I've gotten the urge to take mine back at times with all the PS4 hype, but as right now there 12 multiplat games with only 3 exhibiting resolution differences. COD,BF,AC. I've been weighing that vs giving up all of XB1 UI features and I just can't do it. I might as well just hook my xb360 back up if I want the 'just a game console' experience. Got about 10 games a still need to crack open on it.

My gaming was about 25% of my tv time. Now the ratio is so mixed because I just jump into a game, watch tv, resume back into the game, snap tv to the side, bring up IE with neogaf loaded to see new topics, jump back to game and tv. The UI is a like game in of itself. I don't want to go back.

Same. To me the Xbone just feels like a premium product. Sure it needs some work, but I expected that. What I didn't expect was to like Kinect as much as I do. I mean I suggest to anyone don't buy either right now. Wait a year.

sold mine last night and have zero feels about it

next gen just isn't worth it yet on either side

Bgamer90

Banned
Nah, I use the meat of my index finger. It wasn't a problem with being able to press it though. They just felt plasticky and cheap compared to the solid bumpers on the 360 pad.

Ah okay. I really like the Xbox One controller.

The buttons are less "clicky" in comparison to the Xbox 360 controller though.

GavinGT

Banned
Ah okay. I really like the Xbox One controller.

The buttons are less "clicky" in comparison to the Xbox 360 controller though.

Do you only have one controller? Because I have two, and the Day 1 controller's bumpers feel like mushy garbage compared to the other one I bought. The other one's bumpers actually feel more clicky than the 360's.

mcrommert

Banned
Do you only have one controller? Because I have two, and the Day 1 controller's bumpers feel like mushy garbage compared to the other one I bought. The other one's bumpers actually feel more clicky than the 360's.

I think this is a thing...i have a day one and a regular one i bought. The dpad on the day one is not nearly as clicky and is mushier...and on the right side the seam seems to almost feel like it is separating (more likely just flexing) whenever i use the controller for a while. i think they were definitely first batch and it shows.

GavinGT

Banned
Am gonna quote my self :)

Hope someone has an answer :)

If you're within about three feet of it in a quiet room you should be able to just barely start hearing the system fan. The power supply fan should actually be louder than the system fan. If that's not the case, you might want to seek out a replacement.

I can hear my console's fan noise, i think my console might be fucked up though cause when i insert a game it buzzes for a while. But damn do not want to deal with that support shit.
Also the side panel of the controller feels cheap as hell.

Bgamer90

Banned

Yeah I have two --- there is definitely a difference between them (outside of just chrome and the "day one 2013" stamp).

I honestly don't really notice a difference with the bumpers but I do feel that the analog sticks on the Day 1 controller are better -- they're more deep (for lack of a better way for me to put it).

GavinGT

Banned
Also the side panel of the controller feels cheap as hell.

Like it's loose and sort of twists when you grab it tight? And only on one side? That's likely a defect in one of the friction tabs that keeps the backplate pieces connected to the rest of the controller. I know because I accidentally broke off one of those friction tabs while disassembling my controller (get a spudger!) and now it'll never be the same again.

gillFTR

Just got my Xbox One, this UI is horrible. The multitasking part and suspending stuff is great but from friends to party and everything else this thing is chaotic. They need to bring back the guide button part of the UI. I could only get Forza and Ryse, I guess I can try Ryse before inevitably trade it for Dead Rising 3. Pretty much going to keep it for the exclusives. Also the controller actually feels worse, those bumpers are horrid.

Bgamer90

Banned
Just got my Xbox One, this UI is horrible. The multitasking part and suspending stuff is great but from friends to party and everything else this thing is chaotic. They need to bring back the guide button part of the UI. I could only get Forza and Ryse, I guess I can try Ryse before inevitably trade it for Dead Rising 3. Pretty much going to keep it for the exclusives.

You can snap friends activity and party (if you didn't know) -- much better/easier than going through the main menus for those apps IMO.

Prine

Banned
Just got my Xbox One, this UI is horrible. The multitasking part and suspending stuff is great but from friends to party and everything else this thing is chaotic. They need to bring back the guide button part of the UI. I could only get Forza and Ryse, I guess I can try Ryse before inevitably trade it for Dead Rising 3. Pretty much going to keep it for the exclusives. Also the controller actually feels worse, those bumpers are horrid.

Do the right thing and play on Centurion. Its not hard - its the right amount of challenge vs fun.

spock

Finally got a chance to play the XB1 at the a Microsoft Store after seeing controller-less demo stations at every Best Buy and Gamestop near me. The MS store is sort of neat and they had a few Xbox Ones set up throughout the store being projected on the walls. Seems like they've modeled their retail stores after Apple but not entirely successfully. Didn't get a chance to try out and voice commands but I played a bit of Forza, KI, and Madden. Forza and KI look pretty good but Madden was indistinguishable from the 360 version. The UI was pretty fast but seemed I focused and disorganized. Surprisingly I was most disappointed by the controller. I didn't have a problem getting the new bumpers to register but they felt so much cheaper and worse than the 360 controller. There's not enough on either system to push me over the top right now but I fully expected to be tempted to buy an XB1 on the spot and I just wasn't.

I think many 360 owners are feeling this way. Hyped and wanting to be sold on the system and then not feeling justified in paying $500 for the X1 after actually playing it for abit.Curious how this will play out in the coming months. Jumping ship to Sony seems to be the theme of the day.

gillFTR

You can snap friends activity and party (if you didn't know) -- much better/easier than going through the main menus for those apps IMO.

Yeah, don't you still need to use voice? What was wrong with the simple guide button they had on the 360. Also can you unsnap/switch without using voice?

IRQ

Banned
If you're within about three feet of it in a quiet room you should be able to just barely start hearing the system fan. The power supply fan should actually be louder than the system fan. If that's not the case, you might want to seek out a replacement.

That is exactly how mine sounds. I was afraid that mine was not normal, But when I get close to it I can hear it. Nothing not normal I think :) No weird sounds I think.

That's why I asked for a video about a normal working fan :d

Thanks Gavin and Hammer24 :)

what would we do without GAF I say :)

Yards

Banned
I hated the bumpers at first and was disappointed with how lite the triggers were but after a few solid hours of gaming I don't even notice anymore, they feel just right.

Bgamer90

Banned
Yeah, don't you still need to use voice? What was wrong with the simple guide button they had on the 360. Also can you unsnap/switch without using voice.

It's easier/faster with voice. You have to go to the home menu, go to snap, the select the app you want to snap if you don't want to do it via voice.

I definitely agree that they need to bring back the mini guide though.

gillFTR

I hated the bumpers at first and was disappointed with how lite the triggers were but after a few solid hours of gaming I don't even notice anymore, they feel just right.

I loved the 360 controller, but now jumping between the DS4 and the new controller it's going to be a while for me to get use to it.

honestly they shouldn't have even thought about pulling off suspend/snap/etc without having the OS pre-installed on an SSD.

Performance is so bad on snap and OS movement in general that its an awful experience even with fairly flawless voice functionality.

This console from a hardware perspective truly is stunningly awful in regards to design--everything from it's insane mass while somehow still having an external powerbrick, to a pathetically outdated gpu, to having there be a portion of the bumper that literally can't be pushed in--it's very upsetting to say the least.

I think the vision for this thing is great but they undervalued it. It's absolutely something I think can take the US by storm, but its absolutely a piece of tech that needed to be best in class in every aspect. OS on an SSD and an absolute top of the line gpu were things they simply had to hit.

gillFTR

It's easier/faster with voice. You have to go to the home menu, go to snap, the select the app you want to snap if you don't want to do it via voice.

I definitely agree that they need to bring back the mini guide though.

Thanks for the tips, I've been using my voice until it messes up then I find myself getting frustrated and looking for controller options.

Bgamer90

Banned
Performance is so bad on snap and OS movement in general that its an awful experience even with fairly flawless voice functionality.

Depends on what you are snapping. Some apps are pretty bad when snapped -- just like some apps are bad when played in normal full screen on whatever device you are using.

Marleyman

Banned
Addictive game for sure. So much fun but my only criticism would be the maps sometimes and the time limit. I understand the reason but I always thought that timelimits are the residue of bad game design.

Nightmare mode is exactly that; my OCD kicks in and I know it is going to bit me in the butt as I continue playing.

Prine

Banned
I think many 360 owners are feeling this way. Hyped and wanting to be sold on the system and then not feeling justified in paying $500 for the X1 after actually playing it for abit.Curious how this will play out in the coming months. Jumping ship to Sony seems to be the theme of the day.

Wat? This thread has been largely positive, how did you reach this conclusion ? Theme of the day? Maybe in your head.

GavinGT

Banned
The only time I felt noticeable sluggishness while snapping something was when I snapped IE and was playing Youtube videos through it.

gillFTR

honestly they shouldn't have even thought about pulling off suspend/snap/etc without having the OS pre-installed on an SSD.

This console from a hardware perspective truly is stunningly awful in regards to design--everything from it's insane mass while somehow still having an external powerbrick, to a pathetically outdated gpu, to having there be a portion of the bumper that literally can't be pushed in--it's very upsetting to say the least.

I think the vision for this thing is great but they undervalued it. It's absolutely something I think can take the US by storm, but its absolutely a piece of tech that needed to be best in class in every aspect. OS on an SSD and an absolute top of the line gpu were things they simply had to hit.

I agree with everything, I love the fact I can watch twitch while installing Ryse, snapping, and just multitasking in general the vision of the technical capabilities they had within the UI were awesome. It's just the input and interface with what feels like mandatory voice controls makes it all come apart for me for the UI. Atleast with that being said they can improve on it and fix it.

So . . . I decided to finally crack into Dead Rising 3 about 36 hours ago. When I haven't been sleeping or eating, I've pretty much been unable to tear myself away from it. Why did I wait so long?!

I wasn't doubting my Day One purchase of an Xbox One before. Now I'm *really* happy I bought it on day one. Now, the Playstation 4 . . . that thing hasn't seen any playtime in awhile already. I'm kind of sad for it.

Seriously though. Dead Rising 3. The second I saw a sea of zombies for the first time, I almost cried tears of joy. I will say, it does take a long time to load into the game . . . but not experiencing any load times for transitions? AMAZING! Abso-fucking-lutely amazing!
Its the opposite for me. My xbox one has not been touched in a week, the exclusive games for both consoles are rubbish in my opinion but superior multiplatforms titles means I'm purely playing the PS4. Still love the console but I probably should've waited for TitanFall.

oVerde

Banned
Its the opposite for me. My xbox one has not been touched in a week, the exclusive games for both consoles are rubbish in my opinion but superior multiplatforms titles means I'm purely playing the PS4. Still love the console but I probably should've waited for TitanFall.
qeCSAkS.jpg

MrMephistoX

Can't believe how good Ryse looks . I'm holding off on buying it till I wrap up my PS4 launch games like AC4 but damn those user videos on my TV are a lot more impressive than any of the scripted trailers.

Killer Instinct is fun but really looks like a last gen game aside from the particle effects maybe I just need a better TV.

Top Bottom