• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

gillFTR

Have we seen actual gameplay of Titanfall yet? I'm not talking about the scripted stuff from E3 and Gamescom. Why do I feel like everyone including myself are way over hyped. Remedy will redeem my purchase.

rjcc

At the risk of getting completely bitched at I have a legit question.

I have an XBOne sitting under the tree, and i'm a little curious about the performance of the console. I've had two of my coworkers have issues with their kinects not functioning on their systems not to long after purchase. Has anyone else noticed any particular bugs to be aware of?

I dropped my Kinect, twice, before plugging it in (first was off of a table, about four feet) and it's still seems to be working just fine, voice and camera.

My gaming was about 25% of my tv time. Now the ratio is so mixed because I just jump into a game, watch tv, resume back into the game, snap tv to the side, bring up IE with neogaf loaded to see new topics, jump back to game and tv. The UI is a like game in of itself. I don't want to go back.

I've said it before but I really feel like the XB1 OS has been the only next-gen "wow" moment for me so far on either system. There are some issues with it that MS needs to sort out but even as is, it is definitely a game-changer.

Sure Ryse and Killzone look amazing but I still feel like they are just incremental steps up from last gen. I'm waiting for something like the first Gears of War that really blows me away with these new systems. I'm not sure we'll ever get that to be honest.

I've said it before but I really feel like the XB1 OS has been the only next-gen "wow" moment for me so far on either system. There are some issues with it that MS needs to sort out but even as is, it is definitely a game-changer.

Sure Ryse and Killzone look amazing but I still feel like they are just incremental steps up from last gen. I'm waiting for something like the first Gears of War that really blows me away with these new systems. I'm not sure we'll ever get that to be honest.

Same for me, the ability to instantly switch between gaming and TV (half time in a match, when the mrs pops out for a few minutes) is exponentially increasing the time i'm gaming. Its the instant effect of an iPad game but on my big screen, absolute bliss! :)

Have we seen actual gameplay of Titanfall yet? I'm not talking about the scripted stuff from E3 and Gamescom. Why do I feel like everyone including myself are way over hyped. Remedy will redeem my purchase.

Lots and lots of people played it themselves at E3. It's not like those videos are the only info on the game we have.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I definitely agree that they need to bring back the mini guide though.

I do not think there really is any point though as you can just press the guide button and get to everything there just as easily. (you just have to press left once to get to friends)

TRios Zen

Finally got my replacement box from MS, so happy to join the discussion now that I have a working system.

HDMI pass-through doesn't work when system is off, eh? Disappointing as my wife has absolutely no desire to use the box in any way/shape or form for TV. So I either move to my Media Room OR not use the TV as a pass through. Shame really.

Haven't had enough time to play many games, but hoping to spend some time with Ryse and Dead Rising this weekend.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I thought I had my TV feed working great then it froze even a restart didn't fix it immediately. Don't think my cable box plays well so I'm going put the cable feed back into the TV for now.

timlot

Banned
Finally got my replacement box from MS, so happy to join the discussion now that I have a working system.

HDMI pass-through doesn't work when system is off, eh? Disappointing as my wife has absolutely no desire to use the box in any way/shape or form for TV. So I either move to my Media Room OR not use the TV as a pass through. Shame really.

Haven't had enough time to play many games, but hoping to spend some time with Ryse and Dead Rising this weekend.

You can get a cheap HDMI splitter so that it doesn't interfere with your wife's tv viewing. TV will be there for you when you want it with XB1.

$17
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008GUZQ8W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Hammer24

Banned
Disappointing as my wife has absolutely no desire to use the box in any way/shape or form for TV. So I either move to my Media Room OR not use the TV as a pass through. Shame really.

Either get a HDMI Splitter, or show your wife she doesn´t need any remotes anymore to get all the electronics going. At least that convinced mine. :)

Not sure what to do with the fifa 14 code I got in the box. Any suggestions? What did the rest of you do with it?

Sold it day one. Go to the Buy/Sell/trade thread, there are usually some people looking for it.

Even with the 82 average or so that Forza has.. looks like we still have the King/best of racing sims on console. GT6 down in the mid 70's.

I'm a bit surprised a launch game reviewed better overall then a game coming out this late in the last gen. Guess people that have given Forza 5 a hard time this whole time can now appreciate that it holds the crown for best racing sim on console.

I'm loving my X1! I'm going to go switch it to 2K14 now and play me some my player.

The Flash

Banned
Is it worth getting the Recharge Kit over rechargeable batteries? I want to be able to use my controller with my laptop once the necessary drivers come out so that's about the only reason why I'd get the Recharge Kit.

Hammer24

Banned
I did notice for the first time, watching Netflix last night, the TV seemed to dim as I left the room and came back once Kinect detected me back.

I´m not sure, but I think it works the other way around too. Meaning, as long as the Kinect picks someone up, the screen saver doesn´t kick in.

JLeack

Banned

Yup, we've seen gameplay. It looks absolutely stellar.

JLeack

Banned
Even with the 82 average or so that Forza has.. looks like we still have the King/best of racing sims on console. GT6 down in the mid 70's.

I'm a bit surprised a launch game reviewed better overall then a game coming out this late in the last gen. Guess people that have given Forza 5 a hard time this whole time can now appreciate that it holds the crown for best racing sim on console.

I'm loving my X1! I'm going to go switch it to 2K14 now and play me some my player.

As an owner of both games it isn't even close. GT6 has quantity but squanders an opportunity to be great by having archaic systems. Races are still disproportional, AI is sterile, online is only okay, audio is sub par, and career mode feels unfinished. Forza does all those things better.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I thought I had my TV feed working great then it froze even a restart didn't fix it immediately. Don't think my cable box plays well so I'm going put the cable feed back into the TV for now.

If you're using a Rogers box... they do that if they aren't turned off :p

I used slingplayer a lot (which uses component as its source) and it would freeze all the time.

Can't believe how good Ryse looks . I'm holding off on buying it till I wrap up my PS4 launch games like AC4 but damn those user videos on my TV are a lot more impressive than any of the scripted trailers.

Killer Instinct is fun but really looks like a last gen game aside from the particle effects maybe I just need a better TV.

KI looks next gen compared to the absolute filth that is CoD: Ghosts on Xbone.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
If you're using a Rogers box... they do that if they aren't turned off :p

I used slingplayer a lot (which uses component as its source) and it would freeze all the time.

Using Bell. Never really had a problem like that before. I can handle doing the hard reset, but I don' think my wife can.

edit: Been playing Battlefield and have yet to have any big problems. I did lose my single player save though. Wasn't very far at least. Hope that is one of the fixes.

ringlord

I'm sure this has been posted here already, but I can find it so I wanted to mention that Xbox One has the prestige (for now) of being #1 in Video Games on Amazon in the USA.

I presume they finally updated their top lists from when it was available for sale those few days ago.

Alx

Same for me, the ability to instantly switch between gaming and TV (half time in a match, when the mrs pops out for a few minutes) is exponentially increasing the time i'm gaming. Its the instant effect of an iPad game but on my big screen, absolute bliss! :)

I agree, app swapping and TV interactivity has definitely influenced the way I play games. It's so easy to say "Xbox, go to Crimson Dragon" at the end of a show, do a few levels, go back or start a movie, etc.
At this point, I'm even wondering if I'm going to play long gaming sessions any more, I'd rather keep buying games that allow for quick fixes and launch them on a whim, it feels like your own arcade room where you can quickly jump from one game to another. The 360 was already meant to do that with XBLA, but the quick "go to" command makes it so much better than browsing a digital library.

Yeah, there's plenty of gameplay around. Not so much of the storyline. I've read through a lot of what they have planned and it all looks pretty cool, a lot of references to recent movies.

no angel

I played it at eurogamer, it was every bit as good as the footage we've seen makes it look. Definitely my most anticipated title.

I agree, app swapping and TV interactivity has definitely influenced the way I play games. It's so easy to say "Xbox, go to Crimson Dragon" at the end of a show, do a few levels, go back or start a movie, etc.
At this point, I'm even wondering if I'm going to play long gaming sessions any more, I'd rather keep buying games that allow for quick fixes and launch them on a whim, it feels like your own arcade room where you can quickly jump from one game to another. The 360 was already meant to do that with XBLA, but the quick "go to" command makes it so much better than browsing a digital library.

I just don't have much time for long sessions anymore and found with the last gen that the slowness to get into the experience ended up meaning that I just wouldn't play - instant switching has opened up these little 20 mins here and there to gaming in a way they never were before, it's awesome!

zychi

Banned

Our solution was an hdmi splitter for the cable box out, basically one into the hdmi in of the bone, and one into an empty hdmit port on the tv.

I use the xbone to watch tv, she doesnt

Delryk

does the HDMI splitter send to both simultaneously?

yes.. you can get cheap splitters that have 3d support on monoprice.com too.. thats where i got mine.

i have my splitter downstairs in my theatre room and i have a 30ft. hdmi cable going upstairs to the family room.. works wonderfully.. :)

For those who have home theater systems, how are you hooking your Xbox one into your receiver if you have the cable box running through the X1? I was thinking of just going optical but then I get back into lossy audio.

timlot

Banned
Can't believe how good Ryse looks . I'm holding off on buying it till I wrap up my PS4 launch games like AC4 but damn those user videos on my TV are a lot more impressive than any of the scripted trailers.

Killer Instinct is fun but really looks like a last gen game aside from the particle effects maybe I just need a better TV.

Don't really know how you would make a 3d side scrolling fighter look more 'nextgen'. Them particle effects are amazing though. Played a few matches on my 100" projection. When its gets to spraying alot of it in a competitive match, it looks like its 3D without the glasses at the size. Very impressive.

The game DVR is slow as hell. And it sucks that it only records up to 5 minutes.

Could use some refinement, but I love the feature. I think it's meant for those quick moments that are really cool in games, like an awesome headshot or something. For LPs or something, you'll probably still want to get a capture device.

Netprints

So i have a question. I don't have cable and i don't play on a tv i play on a projector to get tv I have a tuner (iview) that does hdmi. so I put it through my X1 said i had over the air hook up and put in my zip code but It didn't give me a guide or anything. Can you get a guide for your tv with out a cable provider?

SoyTits

Banned
Is there a way to not have it record clips automatically?

Half of the time, I don't even know why it recorded the clip it did.

Top Bottom