• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Lee

Wife is absolutely not a gamer and would rather not use the Xbox for TV play through, but I've been persistant. Set her up a profile and a Live ID. She liked making an avatar. Likes how the Kinect says "Hi" and logs her in, and while she still uses the comcast remote for Cable, she uses voice commands to turn everything on and to say 'Xbox, watch TV' - so that's a start.

As opposed to most people in this thread, I'm digging Ghosts. It's super quick to jump on, get in a game, and have some mindless fun. I didn't pick up Black Ops II, so a lot of this stuff feels fresh. I'm having a ton of fun running and gunning with the honey badger, and I can't think of a kill streak as fun as 'Maniac' is on any of the past COD games I've played.

With that said, I don't play enough to worry about clans or groups or parties, so I'm pretty much running solo, which allows me to avoid all the party chat issues which people bitch about constantly in game.

MrMephistoX

Don't really know how you would make a 3d side scrolling fighter look more 'nextgen'. Them particle effects are amazing though. Played a few matches on my 100" projection. When its gets to spraying alot of it in a competitive match, it looks like its 3D without the glasses at the size. Very impressive.

FSAA and 1080p? Take a look at Mortal Kombat on PC or Injustice on PS4. Obviously the character models aren't as good but there's always room for improvement.

Day 1 here and i'm wondering if my 'Bone is a faulty one:
20131206_18523367spb.jpg

I recorded it through Audacity via the Snowball mic in the picture.

Sound here - MEGA link - only 2MB mp3 file.

Thoughts?

Enchanted

Banned

Thoughts?

Is the fan ramping up in speed when you start it or is that background noise?

It almost sounds like coil whine? Mine doesn't do this but my PSU does sometimes.

Thoughts?

Sounds exactly like my X1! The sound is either from the fan or hard drive and sounds like something is rubbing slightly.

My replacement should be here on Monday.

Is the fan ramping up in speed when you start it or is that background noise?

It almost sounds like coil whine? Mine doesn't do this but my PSU does sometimes.

It never ramps up or down, well, certainly not down at least.

In the same room my PC is idling under the desk which contains both a 3770K and GTX Titan, for comparison, i'd say the PC was near silent.
Sounds exactly like my X1! The sound is either from the fan or hard drive and sounds like something is rubbing slightly.

My replacement should be here on Monday.

I'd say it's definitely the fan as it isn't the right sound of a HDD (which i can hear spin-up when necessary). I don't remember it being this loud when i first booted it up etc, I was actually surprised how quiet it was, but as the days have gone on i've thought 'it's a bit loud, isn't it?'.

Maybe i'll get on to Amazon UK tomorrow.

Has anyone noticed any "Hidden apps" on the Xbox one?

I was looking to see i there was a pandora app, after finding out that there wasnt i decided to try the pandora website to see if it would work. I soon found out that there was a special web app for the Xbox One.

has anyone else seen anything like this or is this old news?

kilongs

Finally got an Xbox One. So far I'm liking to voice controls. Being able to jump in and out of various apps is great.

I only have one major concern:
I just upgraded my 360 Ghosts to the Xbox One version, and thats where my heart sank a little. The controller feels great overall and I can get used to the new bumpers. However, at the moment, I cant get used to the sticks. Playing Ghosts, the One joysticks feel floaty/loose compared to the 360 joysticks. Kinda like going from the 360 controllers to the DS3 controllers. I'm hoping if I keep playing, I can adjust. Is it just me?

kodecraft

Finally got an Xbox One. So far I'm liking to voice controls. Being able to jump in and out of various apps is great.

I just upgraded my 360 Ghosts to the Xbox One version, and thats where my heart sank a little. The controller feels great overall and I can get used to the new bumpers. However, at the moment, I cant get used to the sticks. Playing Ghosts, the One joysticks feel floaty/loose compared to the 360 joysticks. Kinda like going from the 360 controllers to the DS3 controllers. I'm hoping if I keep playing, I can adjust. Is it just me?

Maybe.

I enjoy the new XB1 controller over the 360, especially the sticks.

oVerde

Banned

I know what you mean, but loosey isn't the word, is 'less tension', loose sticks were in the DS3, when on rest the stick remain a little twerked, never centered, if you move the XB1 sticks they stay tight on center, but has much less tension/weight on movement.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Anyone else have a super choppy dashboard? Been happening that last few days for me. Seems others have it in support forum but no fix as of yet. Games are not affected but the choppy ness of the dashboard is a real eyesore, reminds me of the psn store on ps3

The dash is incredibly sluggish when you kick out in the middle of a Forza session. It's jarring.

Yup, and this is getting quite annoying. Anytime I'm playing a game and then try and do other things in the dash, I get a bit of chugging and it almost seems to be getting more common by the day for some reason.

Yup. I even created an entire thread about this specifically mentioning Ghosts. The sticks just don't feel as good as the 360 sticks did, or even the PS4 sticks now. With that said, a patch was released for Ghosts a few days ago, and I honestly feel like the aiming got a little easier after that patch, like they tweaked something quietly. I have no idea if this is true, but it sure feels like it to me.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723799

I know what you mean, but loosey isn't the word, is 'less tension', loose sticks were in the DS3, when on rest the stick remain a little twerked, never centered, if you move the XB1 sticks they stay tight on center, but has much less tension/weight on movement.

I don't ever recall my DS3 sticks behaving like that.

sangreal

Yup, and this is getting quite annoying. Anytime I'm playing a game and then try and do other things in the dash, I get a bit of chugging and it almost seems to be getting more common by the day for some reason.

I'm pretty sure it does get more common by the day -- like some kind of memory leak. Try doing a full reboot

MarkusRJR

I'm pretty sure it does get more common by the day -- like some kind of memory leak. Try doing a full reboot
Aa far as I know, you just need to do a cold boot. It's really similar to Windows, where if you leave it in stand by for a few weeks everything fucks up. A friend who bought it launch day had his Kinect suddenly stop working and once he restarted it the Kinect worked again. Seriously, who designed this OS? It feels like the Windows team did it instead of the Xbox team. Honestly so annoyed. Wish we had the blades back.

It's dumb there isn't a clear option for restarting too.

Chitown B

yeah I think I'm going to make it a habit to do a hard shut down every week.

Aa far as I know, you just need to do a cold boot. It's really similar to Windows, where if you leave it in stand by for a few weeks everything fucks up. A friend who bought it launch day had his Kinect suddenly stop working and once he restarted it the Kinect worked again. Seriously, who designed this OS? It feels like the Windows team did it instead of the Xbox team. Honestly so annoyed. Wish we had the blades back.

It's dumb there isn't a clear option for restarting too.

hold the Xbox button down. Shut down.

oVerde

Banned
I don't ever recall my DS3 sticks behaving like that.
They are never really centered, the pinpoint is loose, you can move some small degrees without registering nothing, if you shake your controller the sticks shake together.
No probs if you don't mind it Bruise, but this issue bother me to hell :(

Has anyone noticed any "Hidden apps" on the Xbox one?

I was looking to see i there was a pandora app, after finding out that there wasnt i decided to try the pandora website to see if it would work. I soon found out that there was a special web app for the Xbox One.

has anyone else seen anything like this or is this old news?

Pretty sure that's just the HTML 5 browser in effect

Basically websites are written with HTML 5 and it naturally produces an APP like output for specific browsers or at least that's how it was explained to me on the PS4 with youtube

My kinect doesnt register my commands as well was it used to and I have tried recalibrating it several times. Its getting so annoying I can hear my gf in the other room saying "Shut up! Use the controller!"

Ecto311

Looking at a new tv in the 46in range for the xbox, our old one is really showing its age. Are there any issues or suggestions for a set used mainly for the xbox one? I am looking at the 5300 series of sets and the led or plasma are very similar priced but I have no experience with either. My last set was from 2007 and it's an lnt4071f.

Is the white Xbox light on anybody's Kinect kind of dulled and crappy looking? I've always thought mine is a bit dull and looking at a friends I'm fairly certain that's the case. Hard to tell though being in different settings and not side by side.

Also, my day one edition has a dodgy left stick.

Pretty sure that's just the HTML 5 browser in effect

Basically websites are written with HTML 5 and it naturally produces an APP like output for specific browsers or at least that's how it was explained to me on the PS4 with youtube

Yea, but it redirected to pandora.com/xbox... so it was at least optimized for the xbox experience.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm drunk as fuck (just taking a break to smoke a blunt).

Just wanna say that 2 weeks on and I fucking love my X1.

Forza is the shit and Killer Instinct is amazing.

MajorPain

If anyone wants to play some BF4 please feel free to add me. I am in the midwest and usually am playing between 8-11pm central time.

Gamertag: Mikester70

RangersFan

the amount of times I have to cycle the power to fix issues is starting to get annoying. the latest is I had the OS stop being able to launch anything, it would just stay at the initial loading screen of whatever app or game i was starting.

Spasm

Anyone else have a super choppy dashboard? Been happening that last few days for me. Seems others have it in support forum but no fix as of yet. Games are not affected but the choppy ness of the dashboard is a real eyesore, reminds me of the psn store on ps3

I had the same thing happen... Dashboard runs at like, 10fps, but games and apps are fine. Thought it would go away on its own, but it lasted about 4 days before I fixed it: Go into Settings, Power & startup, change your power mode to Energy-saving. Turn your Xbox off fully, then back on again. Should be fixed.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'm drunk as fuck (just taking a break to smoke a blunt).

Just wanna say that 2 weeks on and I fucking love my X1.

Forza is the shit and Killer Instinct is amazing.

aside from the weed, i agrre completely ;)

BearPawB

Banned
Am I the only one having xbox live service issues right now? No multiplayer working/upload studio won't let me upload.

But I can see friends online

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, I just had the choppy dashboard thing. Cold reboot fixed it, but that's pretty weird. Hope they work out some of these kinks soon.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Got my replacement Xbox today. Had submitted for it because I wanted to see if my Xbox was making more noise than it should be. It wasn't really that loud at all but after reading post on here about how silent it was I started to wonder. This replacement is diffidently a bit more quiet than my original one. My original you can hear it with everything off making a slight humming noise with the fan on but with this one i have to really concentrate in order to hear it. I probably coulda lived with the originals noise level since it was still pretty damn quiet but this one is even better.

Jobbs

Banned
after a lot of fence sitting, I decided what the hell, I'll need one eventually either way, just get an xbox one.

so I'm working on unboxing this thing, and I really have no idea what the hell I'm going to do about my TV area. I've got a PS3 that needs a spot, since Dark Souls 2 and TLOU DLC are still coming, as well as a decent backlog. I've also got Wii U, PS4, and now Xbox One. This is getting absurd.

So I tore everything down, and I'm going to figure this thing out. I've got all of the consoles on my bed here.

Recently we've been going through a lot of very understandable hype and hyperventilating about the new sexiness of new toys -- Ooh, unboxing video, wow, that's the new console... And so on. A lot of fetishizing of the physical hardware.

I'm just sitting here staring at these motherfucking things, the consoles, and really -- I think they're all kind of gaudy except for the Wii U. Wii U is the only one that seems tasteful and modern from a physical standpoint. By comparison, The PS3 slim, PS4, and XB1 all seem kinda silly, like old GI Joe vehicles or something. They also seem enormous next to the WU.

Don't get me wrong, I like all of these consoles. I'm just thinking out loud here. If you want to know which console is better from a physical design perspective between PS4 and XB1, I'm calling it a tie.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I had the same thing happen... Dashboard runs at like, 10fps, but games and apps are fine. Thought it would go away on its own, but it lasted about 4 days before I fixed it: Go into Settings, Power & startup, change your power mode to Energy-saving. Turn your Xbox off fully, then back on again. Should be fixed.

Thanks got it fixed with a reboot, guess I was just putting it to sleep before not shutting it down.

Sobriquet

Is the white Xbox light on anybody's Kinect kind of dulled and crappy looking? I've always thought mine is a bit dull and looking at a friends I'm fairly certain that's the case. Hard to tell though being in different settings and not side by side.

Also, my day one edition has a dodgy left stick.

It dims or gets brighter depending on the lighting in your room. Could that be it?

I have preemptively pinned Peggle 2. The moment it is available Monday it will be mine!

How? Is a page for it it up on the store already? There are a couple of people on my friends list playing it already. So jealous. :(

The UI is really pissing me off, I hated the ps4 UI when I got it but this is a million times worse. In other news, I beat Ryse in 6 hours on centenarian. Amazing game, reviews where just plain wrong just like with Knack.

Bsigg12

It dims or gets brighter depending on the lighting in your room. Could that be it?

How? Is a page for it it up on the store already? There are a couple of people on my friends list playing it already. So jealous. :(

Just go to one of your friend's page and look at the achievements and from their you can select play game and it'll take you to the store where you can pin it to the start screen.

udiie

I cant get used to the sticks. Playing Ghosts, the One joysticks feel floaty/loose compared to the 360 joysticks. Kinda like going from the 360 controllers to the DS3 controllers. I'm hoping if I keep playing, I can adjust. Is it just me?
If you crank your sensitivity like me, turn it down a notch or two. I found the sticks to be too loose at first but now I'm totally used to it. In fact I find I'd rather play Xone version than 360 now because of the controller, but none of my friends have it :'(

Whogie

Love/Hate with this thing. I really want some patch announcements. Especially in regards to DLNA and 3D.

I noticed the Xbox goes into a low-power state when loses its HDMI connection. The Kinect stops responding to volume commands (and sometimes the logo light turns off), and when switching back it needs a bit of time to reconnect the the cable box on its passthrough. That makes me feel better about having it on all the time even when I'm using a different system.

Top Bottom