• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

I've got two XB1 controllers, and after just a couple weeks of use, both have a loose left side, where you can clearly feel the plastic flexing when you hold it tight. It makes a slight creaking noise when it's pressed. Pretty annoying.

I don't believe I ever had a 360 controller do this after years of use.

yeah Peggle 2, wtf. I had it pop notifications about clips about 3 times in 1 minute once.

The developer getting a little carried away with that feature. Definitely annoying.

yeah Peggle 2, wtf. I had it pop notifications about clips about 3 times in 1 minute once.

I imagine this'll be like how achievements were when the 360 first came out, no one knows how to use them properly yet so the first round of games will have pretty crappy implementations of auto-recorded clips.

Chitown B

I don't mind if it records something crazy I did, but it was seriously looking like a glitch. It'd pop, then pop, then pop in succession.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Local multiplayer will be coming to Peggle 2 in an update according to Major and PopCaps Facebook. Hopefully leaderboards will follow.

Xbone just stopped reading discs. Went crazy with a high pitched disc drive noise and now any disc that i put in just shows "Insert Disc". It was running silent and smooth since the 22nd.

I've got two XB1 controllers, and after just a couple weeks of use, both have a loose left side, where you can clearly feel the plastic flexing when you hold it tight. It makes a slight creaking noise when it's pressed. Pretty annoying.

I've only been using my Day One Edition controller and haven't had this issue. I've also made sure to loosen my grip on the controller because of the new shape, though. When I grip it like the 360 controller my hands hurt after a while, so relaxing my grip has made a huge difference. My only gripe is the tire grips on the analogs. I use the left analog for KI and it's KILLING my left thumb after 20+ hours of fighting. Other games aren't a problem, but all the half circles seem to cause the tire grip to keep digging in to a certain spot on my thumb. I think a callus might be forming (lol). Can't wait for my joystick.

Chitown B

I've only been using my Day One Edition controller and haven't had this issue. I've also made sure to loosen my grip on the controller because of the new shape, though. When I grip it like the 360 controller my hands hurt after a while, so relaxing my grip has made a huge difference. My only gripe is the tire grips on the analogs. I use the left analog for KI and it's KILLING my left thumb after 20+ hours of fighting. Other games aren't a problem, but all the half circles seem to cause the tire grip to keep digging in to a certain spot on my thumb. I think a callus might be forming (lol). Can't wait for my joystick.

you use an analog stick for a fighting game? I think that's your main problem. You gotta use that D-Pad.

TRios Zen

IS there an option to turn on auto-install? Seems like when I bought peggle 2 via the web yesterday, that it downloaded on my Xbox One, but then I had to "Install" it.

If I didn't want to install it, I wouldn't have bought it - seems strange that it had to wait for me to tell it that.

IN other news, having a fully functioning system over the past weekend has been nice. Really starting to see the things I do/don't like about it.

For me:
+ Auto Sign-In with Kinect is cool as shit.
+ Switching between MP loading screens and TV also cool as shit.

- waiting 11 days for my replacement box.
- long install times (though TV switching does mitigate that somewhat).

? Controller doesn't feel any better/worse to me. Not sure I've played a game with rumble triggers yet.
? Finding things in the new UI doesn't seem as intuitive as it did on the 360. Changes coming I'd guess.

lil smoke

Banned
For me:
+ Auto Sign-In with Kinect is cool as shit.
+ Switching between MP loading screens and TV also cool as shit.

- waiting 11 days for my replacement box.
- long install times (though TV switching does mitigate that somewhat).

? Controller doesn't feel any better/worse to me. Not sure I've played a game with rumble triggers yet.
? Finding things in the new UI doesn't seem as intuitive as it did on the 360. Changes coming I'd guess.
+I agree about Auto sign in, but I don't want to use it.

(-)I hate that Kinect listens to me curse people out without my mic engaged. Why is that default behavior and how do I change it. Shouldn't it be easy to change something like that? There should be a red button on the Kinect, or did I miss it?

+Switching to snap, yes, very cool, completely new ideal.

- I had to wait in the freezing cold for hours to get my hands on a system last weekend.

- Install times, game loading times... I wanted to see improvement (at the very utmost least) on a new system, if anything these things should speed up?

- Do not like Microsoft's BOX/SQUARE GRID design philosophy, never have. There is no hierarchy of information to importance of information, it's just a bunch of equal weighted boxes, and it's not very fun to navigate left/right/up/down.

+ Overall very deep though, I will be learning the new features over time. I love 'talking' to it, however probably will become corny unless proven to be a real time saver and not a gimmick.

hwalker84

Thats because the Xbox One controller uses snap on covers. Its nowhere near as rigid as the previous controllers and really annoying.

sangreal

(-)I hate that Kinect listens to me curse people out without my mic engaged. Why is that default behavior and how do I change it. Shouldn't it be easy to change something like that? There should be a red button on the Kinect, or did I miss it?

are you talking about the ea sports games? I think you can disable it in the game options

Anyone know if MS is still offering a free game download for dead optical drives? Do the offer this in Canada? Will not b able to call for a few hours.

I don't mind if it records something crazy I did, but it was seriously looking like a glitch. It'd pop, then pop, then pop in succession.

I'm pretty sure it is a glitch sometimes. I had it do a double popup on my twice. I checked my clips, and there were 2 clips that had duplicates.

Also, if they're going to record a high scoring shot, it would help if you could see the whole shot instead of just the last half second of the ball bouncing around.

DasDamen

That's weird. I noticed the exact same thing on my two PS4 controllers, but not yet on my one Xbone controller.

Looks like crappy build quality all around this generation.

I never figured it out myself, so ended up making another Origin account. It worked fine on the PS4 as I have Origin on the PC, but on the X1 version, I was stuck in the same loop that it did not give the option to put in an existing account.

I ended up creating another account too, but the account I wanted to sync has some games on Origin...

I've been searching, and apparently I have to unlink my accounts so I can link them again, but the unlink process is only through contacting EA support...

Phreaker

It is easily changed in your Kinect settings.

I just got my replacement console from Microsoft and it won't start.

does the powersupply turn on and off real quickly?

If so, unhook it from the wall socket and the console and try again in like thirty minutes. Plug just the cord into the wall first (not connected to powersupply), then connect the powersupply to the console and the cord in the wall.

Also make sure you are not plugging it into a surge protector.

My xbox is super finicky. I got a static discharge when I plugged in the xbox one the other day and it wouldn't boot. The above was my solution after trying various different things.

Finally got my replacement console from Microsoft after two days of getting pissed about from UPS.

Thankfully this one is super silent.

Now to try out Ryse.

Party chat has always worked. It's just more convoluted. Also, with BF4 you have to start the party and invite everyone before you start the actual game.
Every time myself and friends make a party it only allows one of us to enable chat, the rest get errors. I was under the impression many people had this problem. We have to use Skype.

Every time myself and friends make a party it only allows one of us to enable chat, the rest get errors. I was under the impression many people had this problem. We have to use Skype.
I'm guessing you're playing Battlefield while trying to party chat? You need to manually quit battlefield so the game isn't running then start/join the chat.

Yeah, 30 seconds is pretty dumb. Worthless really.

Just say, "Xbox, snap Game DVR." Then you can choose the amount of time you want to save from the past.

It should be a setting to change how long 'Xbox, record that.' Actually records. But luckily the OS is responsive enough so it's not that counterintuitive.

EDIT: Has anyone received the Xbox OS Update yet? I haven't. :(

ajim

Try resetting network setting?

Or even factory reset the console I guess.

Nope, didn't work.

I was onto a Xbox One support consultant on webchat last night and they couldn't help me, just said there was a 'server update' happening which didn't explain a lot. Then she offered me a refund for the video I bought... I don't want a refund, I want to watch it.

Blah.

Satchel

Banned
Nope, didn't work.

I was onto a Xbox One support consultant on webchat last night and they couldn't help me, just said there was a 'server update' happening which didn't explain a lot. Then she offered me a refund for the video I bought... I don't want a refund, I want to watch it.

Blah.

Sucks.

I don't believe I ever had a 360 controller do this after years of use

Yep, same for me. The X1 controller is a monster step backwards in quality.

xkramz

I use my phone charger that's plugged into the outlet and connect it to the Xbox one controller. And it works without batteries :D in case anyone haven't tried it , it's clutch if you happen to run out of batteries

Ambient80

Party chat has always worked. It's just more convoluted. Also, with BF4 you have to start the party and invite everyone before you start the actual game.

Negative. My friends and I have tried everything. Make a party out of game, make a party in game, everyone do a full power down and reboot, everyone fix their NAT settings... For some people it simply is not working and MS is trying to fix it.

Nemesis_

Just turned my One on via the controller and I was greeted by a small green progress bar. That filled up, Xbox One splash appeared, and dashboard appeared.

Went to play some AC4, and get prompted for an update. It's 936mb and it jumped straight to 95% but now taking ages to finish.

What did this update do exactly? >_>

EDIT: Looks like this patch fixes all these problems I never had but also wiped my update data? Annoying :(

abracadaver

I think the clip quality is really bad. Looks damn ugly to watch them in fullscreen.

Also I want an option to disable the auto recording for every game. I open upload studio every time when a clip got recorded and delete them immediately. Beating a level in peggle or fighting a quicktime boss in ryse in not something I want to save let alone upload and show my friends.

Lima

I think the clip quality is really bad. Looks damn ugly to watch them in fullscreen.

Also I want an option to disable the auto recording for every game. I open upload studio every time when a clip got recorded and delete them immediately. Beating a level in peggle or fighting a quicktime boss in ryse in not something I want to save let alone upload and show my friends.

Go into settings > preferences and uncheck record gameplay with dvr

Top Bottom