• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Lima

Wait what? Me and my fiancée are thinking of getting a second Xbox One as well for our bedroom. She loves the Kinect and how much easier it is to watch TV and switch to games etc. So all the Digital games we download, we can re-download on the second Xbox One, download my Xbox Live profile on the second system and be able to play on Live at the same time, same games and everything?

Is that accurate? How many times can you do this?

WAIT! Have you tried it before?

Really? That would be awesome if true. Co-Op DR3 would be sweet.

Uhm guys this is exactly how it worked on the 360.

Defect

Similar to how it was done on the 360. Make the second Xbox the Home console with the main account and download everything there then go on the other Xbox and sign in with the same account and download everything and play. The home console can play anything downloaded. The other Xbox needs to have the account signed in to play whatever purchased.

Lima

Similar to how it was done on the 360. Make the second Xbox the Home console with the main account and download everything there then go on the other Xbox and sign in with the same account and download everything and play. The home console can play anything downloaded. The other Xbox needs to have the account signed in to play whatever purchased.

Yup. It works the same way, they just made the license switching way easier since you can do it as many times as you want and not just every 3 months.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Well, I was 99.9% sure she would have access to all the game, I just assumed we wouldn't be able to play the same game at the same time so that's great news.

I'll test it out tomorrow when I set up the other Xbox. More than anything I wanted to be sure she could use my gold privileges to access YouTube and Netflix etc.

EDIT: I'm really glad they changed the way it was done however, I have 3 Xbox 360s and various content is locked to each physical unit and I need to be logged in with my account to access it. Being able to designate a "home" console is fantastic.

border

Can someone tell me if my system is Xboned?

Anytime I leave it turned off for more than a few hours, both voice commands and TV stop working. I can't do "Xbox On" if I come home from a day at work or when I wake up in the morning -- only if I shut it off fairly recently. After so long it seems like the system just goes dead and requires to be manually turned on. When it turns on it does not initialize my TV/cablebox/receiver.

Additionally, when the system powers up the TV playback is screwed. Launching the TV app does not work and actually times out with an error message. The only way to fix this seems to be physically unplugging the system and making it do a cold boot.

After a long period of downtime the system will sometimes tell me that the Kinect is unplugged even when it's clearly plugged in. The problem is fixed by unplugging and re-plugging, but obviously it exacerbates the problem with "Xbox On" not working. This is less frequent however.....even when the system doesn't have a problem finding the Kinect, it still has trouble turning on after long periods of downtime.

Is this all a known issue? Is it a problem with the software or OS, or is it likely a hardware problem?

It's similar, but not exactly the same. On 360 the console license is created for each purchase, on the console that the purchase was made. To avoid exploiting MS made a cool down between switches.

On xbone, it's now handled by the always connected behavior of the console: You set a home console, and all purchases made on your account, no matter where will be available to all accounts on this console. You can switch at any time, but since the console is "always" online it keeps checking the licenses, and if you move your home console to another the previous console will automatically loose it's access to content.

The good part is that once the home console is set up, you don't have to log in the account that made the purchase to install or play the content, the console will recognize as if you have already purchased it.

In short, it's great if you have a trusted person, you can play all the games they purchase (and vice versa) with much less hurdle than it was on 360, even if the system now is less exploitable...

Can someone tell me if my system is Xboned?

Anytime I leave it turned off for more than a few hours, both voice commands and TV stop working. I can't do "Xbox On" if I come home from a day at work or when I wake up in the morning -- only if I shut it off fairly recently. After so long it seems like the system just goes dead and requires to be manually turned on. When it turns on it does not initialize my TV/cablebox/receiver.

Additionally, when the system powers up the TV playback is screwed. Launching the TV app does not work and actually times out with an error message. The only way to fix this seems to be physically unplugging the system and making it do a cold boot.

After a long period of downtime the system will sometimes tell me that the Kinect is unplugged even when it's clearly plugged in. The problem is fixed by unplugging and re-plugging, but obviously it exacerbates the problem with "Xbox On" not working. This is less frequent however.....even when the system doesn't have a problem finding the Kinect, it still has trouble turning on after long periods of downtime.

Is this all a known issue? Is it a problem with the software or OS, or is it likely a hardware problem?

Never heard of or experienced any of that, and I've done all the things you talked about. I'd be asking for a replacement.

Femto.

I've been meaning to post about this but haven't had the time until now.

Everything has been working fine on my Xbox One, except it came with an annoyance.

When I turn off my system by holding the power button it shuts everything off but the controller, then the power button on the controller starts flashing looking for a signal, and turns the Xbox back on. Now if I turn off the controller before the system, as expected, the system stays off when I hold the power button. Lastly, if I hook up the controller via USB both the system and the controller turns off simultaneously, as it should. I bought another controller just to see if it was the Day One controller that was causing the problem, but the same thing occurred with a regular controller so I returned it.

However if I put the Xbox in standby by mode via the controller, kinect, or tapping the power button the controller turns off and the console stays "off".

I contacted hardware support and the guy who assisted me said that he has never heard of something like this before, and it seems like more of a software issue than a hardware problem. So he asked me a few questions, registered my console, and said that he would submit the bug.

Am I the only one here who's experience something like this? Should I get an exchange from the retail store I got it from? Its an annoyance, but I'm not sure if it justifies getting an exchange for it.

Bumpage.

To be defective or not to be?
I'm tired m'kay :/

Exchanged my controller for the third time. This one has another sticky A button. Wow Microsoft. So far the only good controller I've seen is the one that came with the console. We'll see what happens tomorrow I guess...

monome

while browsing for Surface deals, I found an in stock Xbox One at fnac.
chose the evening delivery for X1 and went to a retail shop to pick up a Surface to celebrate.
my phone's network chose to not work for the entire evening...

found out this morning the delivery guy called me about 5mn after I saw my phone did not work and went outside to check if he was here...

fuck you Bouygues Telecom.

Surface had a fuck ton of updates to download, I suppose setting both at the same time would have been a choir.

I'm having loads of issues with bf4. I just finished a mission. Cut scene loads. Play for 10 mins in New mission. Die. Puts me back before the new mission cut scene (like 30 mins back)

It's so infuriating because I've watched 2 different sets of cut scenes now and I have to do 2 missions all over again.

Also, it's put me so far back that I've lost weapons I've previously unlocked like the sniper rifle. Is this normal because I'm at a stage I've cleared already and it's put me back well before this?

Lima

I have the same problem with a day one controller and another one which I bought. So I guess the console is the problem.

This.

The wireless chip is wonky in some consoles.

I had the occasional drop but after I exchanged my console is has not happened once.

Nintyb

Banned
Also, it's put me so far back that I've lost weapons I've previously unlocked like the sniper rifle. Is this normal because I'm at a stage I've cleared already and it's put me back well before this?

Perfectly normal. Battlefield 4 has a ton of issues right now. I've shelved it until they get shit straightened out.

ekim

Can you turn off the automatic recording of clips during games? Peggle is spamming clips out in the wild like no other game. :-/

Novak

question for London GAF
I am in London for 2 more days and I am staying in Central London (near Oxford street).

Where would I have best chance to find Xbox One?
I checked in nearby HMV on Oxford st but they only have bundles (XB1 + 3 games) for 600 GBP. I want just a console since I will buy digital games..

Thanks.

Redshirt

Banned
Is that accurate? How many times can you do this?

Really? That would be awesome if true. Co-Op DR3 would be sweet.

As Lima said, this is exactly how it worked on the 360. It's actually a bit easier now with the XB1.

There's no limit to how many times you can do it because when you make a digital purchase, you're actually receiving two licenses. This is a big reason why the "digital premium" is worth it to me.

BF4 is known to be plagued with issues right now, and it is well known. Just stop playing it until they patch it if you don't want to waste time.

ElRenoRaven

Remember this will completely disable Game DVR. No automatic recordings as wanted but no manual recording either. I hope they add a second setting that turns off only automatic clips.

Hey there is nothing wrong with that. That's the one thing I've found annoying with PS4 also. Seems that there is no way to shut it's dvring function off. So MS giving you the ability to is pretty damn nice.

lil smoke

Banned
I love IE, being able to snap Pandora while playing a game is so awesome.

It's pretty nice, but I don't have a handle on things.

-Can we enlarge type?
-We need a more direct way to toggle, or is there?
-I would like to drag the width of snap to my desire.
-The mouse cursor is like dragging a qtip thru Vaseline.
-Needs more browser options in general.

+Speech is just amazing "DOWN", "BACK" haha
+Having relevant websites open with the game you're playing, genius.
+Adding favorites.
+SERIOUS potential.

malfcn

Got a new TV delivered and I am always paranoid about people seeing our stuff. He was like oh that's the new xbox one, "xbox on" and even picked up a controller. He said he was a gamer and saw all of our console boxes and collection.

Hey there is nothing wrong with that. That's the one thing I've found annoying with PS4 also. Seems that there is no way to shut it's dvring function off. So MS giving you the ability to is pretty damn nice.
But really the PS4 only does manual recording (as far as I'm aware) so why would you need to shut it off? Just don't hit the share button.

Anyway my disc drive is going, it makes a strange noise while reading the disc. But the strange thing is it's not with every game. Gonna call up support tomorrow.

Does anyone know wether MS will just replace it or will I have to send it away?

ElRenoRaven

But really the PS4 only does manual recording (as far as I'm aware) so why would you need to shut it off? Just don't hit the share button.

Anyway my disc drive is going, it makes a strange noise while reading the disc. But the strange thing is it's not with every game. Gonna call up support tomorrow.

Does anyone know wether MS will just replace it or will I have to send it away?

I've found it doesn't. I do end up with some recordings even though I don't use the share feature. So it has to do some automatically.

Perfectly normal. Battlefield 4 has a ton of issues right now. I've shelved it until they get shit straightened out.

BF4 is known to be plagued with issues right now, and it is well known. Just stop playing it until they patch it if you don't want to waste time.

Cheers. i thought the issues were only in multiplayer. I get the "you cannot connect to EA Battlefield servers" message every time i start the game to. I guess that's normal.

To be honest, it really isnt a very good game from what i have played so far.

Nintyb

Banned
To be honest, it really isnt a very good game from what i have played so far.

The multiplayer is quite fun when it actually works but the SP campaign is nothing special. To be honest, I only bought it to hold me over until Titanfall. Got to have at least one shooter at launch.

Why Powerstar Golf? A couple people mentioned this one . . .

Powerstar Golf is awesome! I play it more than Ryse (which I've beaten on Centurion) and Battlefield 4 (which I've not but had relatively few issues with online).

Each golfer has a special ability and it's a lot of fun to toy with them all. The career has a good progression too.

Patryn

I'm quite impressed how fast the Repair system got me my advance repair unit. Put in my support ticket on Monday night, and I got the new console yesterday.

Luckily, this time it actually outputs audio.

Top Bottom