• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Timu

So after ALL these hours I finally got Kinect to work, and unfortunately it gave me some of the worst controls I experienced in a game to date. I'm having a hard time getting Kinect to work and when it comes to controlling your character it's a total nightmare, I can't control my character at any point properly, he either goes left or right and it's nearly impossible to turn him and he go the wrong way often. I will always be in last place thanks to these awful controls.

It's either the game or Kinect since I heard the game had crappy controls from a preview.

Thanks to auto snap I managed to take 100s of screenshots, because it's not possible to take screenshots manually and play this game at the same time since you also use both hands. This what happens often playing this game:

iPRgWDLLqBsNH.png

iwHzOAvEfnJMu.png

i0WB5XbpyyehD.png

iN4pwY19tohnX.png

Redshirt

Banned
I've completed the November and December challenges. The January challenges got upped early, and I started them last night. I've actually been impressed with how precise the KSR controls are.

oVerde

Banned
I'm sorry for @Timu not been able to have space for Kinect, although KSR: Pre Season is not a joy (only one track, many unskippable animations), the commands are not near imprecises.

Redshirt

Banned
Yeah, the lack of variety stinks. The biggest issue right now is that there's no motivation to play once you've completed the monthly challenges.

Caayn

Weird that our experiences with KSR are that different Timu. For me it works amazingly well, I think the key is to moving your arms forward or backward instead of moving left/right. Did take me a few tries to figure out what the brake/gas was.

malfcn

Two questions.

On my old Sony I could plug these 2 little Bose speakers up and blast sound out those. Don't remember if I tried it with the XB1, but this new TV doesn't want to do it.

Second.
The X360 controller feels really weird now.

Kerm 1

Walked into Best Buy at lunch and picked up a third Xbox One today. Sadly, neither the kid or I have turned our PS4s on since the 22nd.

Timu

Weird that our experiences with KSR are that different Timu. For me it works amazingly well, I think the key is to moving your arms forward or backward instead of moving left/right. Did take me a few tries to figure out what the brake/gas was.
So how do you turn then?o_O

Faith

Is it normal that you can hear the impuls trigger's rumble noise? Ziuuu?

And why it's vibrating all the time in Forza 5?

Ora

Banned
Kinect is so bad. I honestly can't believe how hard a time it has recognizing me saying, "Xbox" with my excellent enunciation. It's infuriating. And good lord the UI.... Why change something so good :(

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Yup. Pull your right around towards you to turn right and lean for a bit extra of a turn. Controls worked fine enough for me. Looking forward to bowling.

Kinect is so bad. I honestly can't believe how hard a time it has recognizing me saying, "Xbox" with my excellent enunciation. It's infuriating. And good lord the UI.... Why change something so good :(

Did you calibrate the Kinect with background noise and your volume up really high? That makes a ridiculous difference. Night and day for a lot of people.

The UI will get better. I don't think it's that bad, but people do have their opinions on it, for sure.

Caayn

The X360 controller feels really weird now.
Jup, just picked up my 360 controller and I instantly miss the new bumper/trigger position/form. Which is weird because at first I didn't liked the new bumpers and yet now I've grown used to them and really like them.
So how do you turn then?o_O
Uhmm how can I explain this as clearly as possible. Bear with me please. It's very similar to steering with a bicycle just slightly different.
Hold both in front of you just like you would hold the steer on your bicycle. To steer left move your left arm closer to your torso. Same goes for steering right but with the right arm of course ;) You can lean left and right a bit for the extra bit of umph. See of it like steering on a bicycle but instead of moving your arms left and right in a circle you only move them forward and closer.
Is it normal that you can hear the impuls trigger's rumble noise? Ziuuu?

And why it's vibrating all the time in Forza 5?
The impulse triggers are way to audible in my controller to :(

Ora

Banned
Did you calibrate the Kinect with background noise and your volume up really high? That makes a ridiculous difference. Night and day for a lot of people.

The UI will get better. I don't think it's that bad, but people do have their opinions on it, for sure.

Yeah recalibration was one of my first troubleshooters. Did multiple volume adjustments.

pa22word

Hello all, currently posting from my Xbone via HDMI in (suck it MS and your fee with gold, i'll just line in my PC and watch netflix that way :p)!

But I am having an issue. Earlier I downloaded the Upload app via a dashboard rec that popped up, thus booting me instantly to Upload app page on the store, but now every time I visit the store it locks me into that page and I can't visit other areas of the store =(. I can't just go back because then it takes me back to the desktop because that screen was the first one shown due to me booting into it. Is there anyway to reboot the app other than just killing my system? I'd rather not do that as I'm playing DR3 atm on nightmare, and saves are few and far between so yeah...

Klocker

So after ALL these hours I finally got Kinect to work, and unfortunately it gave me some of the worst controls I experienced in a game to date. I'm having a hard time getting Kinect to work and when it comes to controlling your character it's a total nightmare, I can't control my character at any point properly, he either goes left or right and it's nearly impossible to turn him and he go the wrong way often. I will always be in last place thanks to these awful controls.

It's either the game or Kinect since I heard the game had crappy controls from a preview.

Thanks to auto snap I managed to take 100s of screenshots, because it's not possible to take screenshots manually and play this game at the same time since you also use both hands. This what happens often playing this game:

G]

Assuming it is calibrated right it actually sounds like your kinect is busted

I'd call and get it replaced

Hello all, currently posting from my Xbone via HDMI in (suck it MS and your fee with gold, i'll just line in my PC and watch netflix that way :p)!

But I am having an issue. Earlier I downloaded the Upload app via a dashboard rec that popped up, thus booting me instantly to Upload app page on the store, but now every time I visit the store it locks me into that page and I can't visit other areas of the store =(. I can't just go back because then it takes me back to the desktop because that screen was the first one shown due to me booting into it. Is there anyway to reboot the app other than just killing my system? I'd rather not do that as I'm playing DR3 atm on nightmare, and saves are few and far between so yeah...
have the app in the middle of the home screen (i.e. It's running but you are on home), highlight it, hit the menu button (the old select button...or is it start?) then quit it from that menu

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Go to the main screen and go to Apps Games etc on the right to get back to the main sections of the store. Yes, it's stupid.

Not able to install the update, doesnt seem to want to download. Connects to my network fine. Im guessing "Xbox Live Core Services: Limited" on xbox.com could be my issue?

EBE

KSR works wonderfully. hell, even KS 1 and 2 worked really good on the original kinect. the accuracy of darts in the second game was especially impressive.

I'm guessing you just don't know how to control it, it has a specific motion.
You don't lean. You put your arms out as if you're holding the handles of a jet ski and move them forwards/backwards in opposite directions, like a punching motion.
Works perfectly when you learn the motion.

I'm guessing you just don't know how to control it, it has a specific motion.
You don't lean. You put your arms out as if you're holding the handles of a jet ski and move them forwards/backwards in opposite directions, like a punching motion.
Works perfectly when you learn the motion.

Im guessing he was leaning.

Ironhorse

Neo Member
I found the controls to be pretty spot on with KSR. The only thing the Kinect has trouble with is the voice prompt for speed boost even though I have it calibrated quite nicely. I do have to move the Kinect from its sitting position down in order for it to work with KSR.

JLeack

Banned

Yeah. It definitely misses out on Xbox a lot. However, I think the UI is incredible. It's definitely better than the PS4 and PS3 UIs. I'm not sure about how it compares to the latest Xbox 360 dashboard, though.

Just got my XBO and can't update it as there seems to be an issue with Live. I can't use the offline option as I don't have a USB stick at hand. If I were to get one how do I find out which OS to download? OSUDT1 or OSUDT2?

Xbox.com says I can find out which OS I have via the console but I can't as I haven't updated. so can't access the home screen etc.

Redshirt

Banned
Newegg sent me a $10 off $10 purchase coupon and let me buy a $10 Xbox digital gift card with it.

For those who do Bing Rewards, isn't it strange that Xbox gift cards are more expensive than Amazon gift cards? You can just buy the Amazon gift card and convert it into a Xbox gift card.

Just got my XBO and can't update it as there seems to be an issue with Live. I can't use the offline option as I don't have a USB stick at hand. If I were to get one how do I find out which OS to download? OSUDT1 or OSUDT2?

Xbox.com says I can find out which OS I have via the console but I can't as I haven't updated. so can't access the home screen etc.

Their site says theres a problem right now. Im in the same situation as you are.

The Kinect works way better for me above my TV, the viewing area is much better and it is farther away from my center speaker which lets it recognize voice controls much better.

C4Lukins

I have had really good luck with the voice commands. It seems to get better the more you use it. The only place I really have a problem is when it comes to the TV guide. So I just gave up on voice commands to switch channels. It is just easier to use the controller.

As for the general UI. I think it is all pretty simple with a few exceptions. It needs a lot more consistency between apps. Everything should sort of work in a similar manner, but each program seems to have its own unique rules.

There is some really good ideas there, and a mixture of great and horrible execution. I assume it will only get better, but who knows. It certainly is not a flawless experience.

Greetings, GAF.

I just bought one of these things, and I can't get the initial update to download. The console assures me that I am connected to the internet, which is a wired connection. In spite of that, the console won't update "there's an issue" it says, or whatever it says. After following the instructions of their help page, it now seems that I have to try and update it via USB.

Hopefully this thing won't require sending it to Microsoft to be fixed.

C4Lukins

Greetings, GAF.

I just bought one of these things, and I can't get the initial update to download. The console assures me that I am connected to the internet, which is a wired connection. In spite of that, the console won't update "there's an issue" it says, or whatever it says. After following the instructions of their help page, it now seems that I have to try and update it via USB.

Hopefully this thing won't require sending it to Microsoft to be fixed.

Do you have the option of wireless just to see if that works for initial setup?

Edit: nevermind, looking at other recent posts, it seems to be an issue MS's side.

Do you have the option of wireless just to see if that works for initial setup?

Edit: nevermind, looking at other recent posts, it seems to be an issue MS's side.

I do have wireless, but I didn't think that would help matters. I may have to try it a bit later.

However, this is an issue on Microsoft's side? I should just be patient and wait? Hmmm. I did download the necessary file for the USB update. Maybe I'll wait.

Yep I noticed that store problem too and it's dumb as hell.

Captain N

So I got a PS4 at least and traded it for an Xbox One. Boy am I glad I did. I'm getting a PS4S when inFamous drops, but the Xbox One launch titles are rocking my world. Really enjoying Ruse, Dead Rising, and Killer Instinct it my favorite launch title.

I should probably ask in the Forza 5 thread as well, but any Xbox bros wanna sell me on this game? The DVR videos look neat and I like a good racing game. Someone give me the scoop on if it's worth the money! How does it look on a 1080p TV?

statham

iPRgWDLLqBsNH.png

iwHzOAvEfnJMu.png

i0WB5XbpyyehD.png

iN4pwY19tohnX.png
try unplugginh xb1 from the wall. It helped in my case.

Zinthar

I should probably ask in the Forza 5 thread as well, but any Xbox bros wanna sell me on this game? The DVR videos look neat and I like a good racing game. Someone give me the scoop on if it's worth the money! How does it look on a 1080p TV?

Have you played any of the prior ones?

pa22word

Wait, is kinect supposed to be catching my hand movements for UI functions o_O?

While in TV mode I've had a little hand icon pop up a few times. I never used kinect 1.0 so I honestly am not sure what to expect, but I remember from a few friends that kinect navigation on the dash via hand movements was a thing, so yeah, just curious. ATM my xbone is around 3/4 feet from where I'm sitting, so maybe that's why it's not seeing my hand gestures?. Should I move it back some?

Top Bottom