• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

HokieJoe

I did some research on having the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One on the same router and them both having open Nat. It appears that the router needs to be able to support multiple NAT devices and the majority of them don't. I have the latest Linksys Router and although it is not listed on MS's site, no matter what I have tried, I can only have one or the other with open nat.

Does anyone know of a way to make it work still? Would assigning a static IP to each console allow it to work or do I need a router that is specifically designed to hand multiple consoles with an open nat?

I have zero issues with my Xbox One and an open Nat and I won't be playing much at all on the 360, but my fiancée wan't another Xbox One for the bedroom and I would want to have both have an open nat for when I play on one or another.

Another interesting thing is that I have a PS4 on the same router and that has an open NAT so is it more of issue about having an open nat and both trying to access the same port?

Hope this helps...From PCWorld:

PCWorld said:
Opening the NAT Settings
First, you need to gather some information about your network:

1. On a PC connected to your network, click Start, and then type cmd into the search field. Press Enter.

2. In the window that pops up, type ipconfig and press Enter.

3. Look under the heading for your network connection--which you'll likely find listed as Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection--and record the numbers given for the following items:

•IPv4 Address (or IP Address)
•Subnet Mask
•Default Gateway
Second, you need to turn on Universal Plug and Play for your router.

1. On a PC connected to your network, open a Web browser.

2. Type the Default Gateway number (that you recorded earlier) into the address bar, and press Enter.

3. Type in the username and password for your router. Username and password defaults vary based on the router model. If you are unsure of your default username and password, refer to your router’s documentation or find them using the guide on the Port Forward website. If someone changed the default login information and you don’t know it, you’ll need to reset your router.

4. Make sure that UPnP is turned on. Refer to your router’s documentation if you can’t find the UPnP setting.

5. Restart your Xbox 360, and run the connection test again.

If your router doesn’t have UPnP, or if turning UPnP on doesn’t open your NAT, you need to assign a static IP address to your Xbox 360 and set up port forwarding.

1. In the Network Settings menu on your Xbox 360, select the Basic Settings tab.

2. Choose Manual.

3. Select IP Address.

4. Take the Default Gateway number that you recorded earlier, and add 10 to the last number. For example, if your Default Gateway is 192.168.1.1, the new number is 192.168.1.11. This new number is your static IP address; enter it as the IP address, and then choose Done.

5. Select Subnet Mask, enter the Subnet Mask number that you recorded earlier, and then choose Done.

6. Choose Gateway, enter the Default Gateway number that you recorded earlier, and then choose Done.

7. Select Done again.

8. On a PC connected to your network, open a Web browser and log in to your router’s interface.

9. Open the following ports:

•Port 88 (UDP)
•Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
•Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
•Port 80 (TCP)
Port 500 (UDP)
UDP Port 3544 (UDP)
UDP Port 4500 (UDP)

If you aren’t sure how to open ports on your router, refer to your router’s documentation or to the guide on the Port Forward website.

Still No Luck?
If you’ve performed all of the steps above, and the connection test still reports a moderate or strict NAT setting, turn off your Xbox 360 and your router, wait 60 seconds, and then turn on your router. Wait 60 more seconds, and then turn on your Xbox 360 and test again.

You can also try entering the static IP address you created earlier into the DMZ field in your router’s settings. Log in to your router’s interface, search for DMZ Host, type in the static IP, and then apply the changes.

Orca said:
There are some missing from that.

Xbox Live requires the following ports to be open:

Port 88 (UDP)
Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
Port 80 (TCP)
Port 500 (UDP)
UDP Port 3544 (UDP)
UDP Port 4500 (UDP)

I believe they pretty much said, but without confirming it, that it's a feature they will add in the future.

That said, Titanfall like pretty much all games, will come out on a Tuesday. If you have work or school it shouldn't really be an issue. Purchase the game from Xbox.com (or your Xbox before you leave for your day) and the game will download while the console is off. It has to finish up the install when you do turn it on, but that should be a short wait.

Depends, if its 30 gigs it might be like 18 hrs.

Just wanted to chime in regarding wildly inflated play times being logged for the games you've played. I saw people speculating earlier that this might be related to putting games in suspend mode while the console is off.

I can confirm it's not related to that. I have not turned on that feature at all, and my Peggle 2 profile says I've played it for 121 hours.

I ordered an Xbox One a while from Amazon a week or so ago, and finally opened it yesterday. I'm planning on picking up Ryse and Dead Rising tonight, and I already downloaded Peggle and Crimson Dragon. I like the controller, but I find the bumpers really hard to press. I wish they were angled back a little more like the PS4 controller.

Sorry if this was asked before, but is Powerstar Golf pretty comparable to Hot Shots Golf? I love the HSG series and don't expect Powerstar to be as good, but I can't tell if I'm going to like it.

jond76

Banned
Just FYI everyone, but out of curiosity I threw in my region B Blu-ray of Return of the Living Dead (because its the only HD copy that has the original mono soundtrack... long story, but all DVD an blu copies in the US have a altered soundtrack).

Anyway, I threw it in and it gives you a giant "Wrong Region" message. If you bring up the Xbox controls and choose the menu, it will bypass the warning screen and go straight to the menu, movie plays without incident. So, a region free Blu-ray player too. Enjoy

StratJ

Banned
So is that the problem you are having? Trying to run the Xbox One and the 360 and both having open Nat? Someone suggested unchecking UNPNP in the router settings, but this caused neither console to have an Open Nat.

For me, if the 360 has open Nat the Xbox One is Moderate. If the Xbox One is Open Nat then the 360 is Moderate. So far, no way to have both be open Nat with my Linksys Router (their latest and greatest too). Right now, I am leaving the Xbox One as the primary so it has Open Nat since I wont be playing the 360 on-line much, but I believe my Fiancee got us another Xbox One for the Bedroom and it is really going to suck if I cannot run it with open nat as well.

What is weird is that the Xbox One and PS4 both have open Nat, but it won't work with the 360 as well. I wonder if it is more about it being the same brand and needing the same ports open.

Does anyone have both a Xbox One and a 360 and when they are both on having open Nat for both of them? If so, what Router do you have?

Unfortunately it is not technically possible to have both consoles on 'open' NAT by definition. An open NAT means all traffic incoming on a certain port will always reach one static IP, the outcome reached by port forwarding. You can't port forward to two IP's since all the traffic on that port wouldn't belong to both the 360 and the X1. They both use the same port for XBL.

The best solution you could get is both on moderate if theyre both online, although both should be open if theyre on alone.

Just wanted to chime in regarding wildly inflated play times being logged for the games you've played. I saw people speculating earlier that this might be related to putting games in suspend mode while the console is off.

I can confirm it's not related to that. I have not turned on that feature at all, and my Peggle 2 profile says I've played it for 121 hours.

Yeah, my Peggle 2 profile says I've played for 95 hours, and I haven't used this feature with the game at all. So strange.

Redshirt

Banned
I use the Asus RT-N66U (Dark Knight), and it allows two Xbox One consoles to both have open NAT out of the box. I'm not sure if there's a difference when using an XB1 and a 360 though.

Just FYI everyone, but out of curiosity I threw in my region B Blu-ray of Return of the Living Dead (because its the only HD copy that has the original mono soundtrack... long story, but all DVD an blu copies in the US have a altered soundtrack).

Anyway, I threw it in and it gives you a giant "Wrong Region" message. If you bring up the Xbox controls and choose the menu, it will bypass the warning screen and go straight to the menu, movie plays without incident. So, a region free Blu-ray player too. Enjoy
No such luck here.

Caayn

I use the Asus RT-N66U (Dark Knight), and it allows two Xbox One consoles to both have open NAT out of the box. I'm not sure if there's a difference when using an XB1 and a 360 though.
Makes no difference. I have the ASUS RT-N65U, the cheaper version of yours, and I've got an open NAT on my 360, One and PS3.
I got the achievement for 100 rounds of online BF4 play on my fourth online round.
Achievements are glitchy on the Xbox One, it's not just Battlefield. I've unlocked a couple of achievements several times over and over again in Crimson Dragon.

m23

It has become the exact opposite for me. Before I didn't have any problems and would rarely crash. Now I get kicked out regularly and finding matches has become difficult.

Yep, I've been having more problems after the patch than before.

It has become the exact opposite for me. Before I didn't have any problems and would rarely crash. Now I get kicked out regularly and finding matches has become difficult.

See i actually got the game after the last patch, so it installed the update with the game. I played it at a friends house and it was real buggy before. Im wondering if uninstalling the game and reinstalling with the update would help people.

BondFancy

Really, it has as actually gotten worse for me! Finally able to get into a game today but I try to play conquest and it puts me into squad deathmatch.

Yea I have that same issue which normally wouldn't be a problem..but, when combined with a near broken server browser, things get a bit more tricky. Then don't get me started on losing ranks because it doesn't save >.>

See i actually got the game after the last patch, so it installed the update with the game. I played it at a friends house and it was real buggy before. Im wondering if uninstalling the game and reinstalling with the update would help people.

I reinstalled overnight, so I'll update on this later tonight.

pswii60

I've just got my Xbox One today after having a PS4 since the 29th. The lure of Peggle 2 was just too much and I couldn't therefore resist the urge to jump in.

But I'm disappointed. Everything seems so bloody slow compared to PS4, whether it's booting up from cold, moving around between different elements of the UI or loading up the Store.

Killer Instinct looks like a 360 game IMHO. Jaggies galore and nothing there at all that stands out as next-gen. I'm downloading the DR3 demo right now so I'll give that a go, and I should be picking up Forza 5 later.

I really hate the bumpers on the controller - it's like the pressure point is on the opposite end of the buttons to where it should be. I like everything else about it though, including the asymmetrical sticks which make me feel back at home again.

Also tried routing Sky through it and it's stuttering hell, I thought they'd have fixed the 50hz issue by now.

Ugh, on the positive side I like the noise it makes when you press the Xbox logo, but it feels like a step-back after PS4. I'm sure I'll change my mind when I get some Peggle 2 and Forza 5 going later though.

EDIT: Kinect can't see my face as it's tilting too low down, is there a way to make it zoom out further? On my 360 Kinect could be adjusted with the motor, but I can only manually tilt Kinect 2.0 down, not up? Unless I prop it up with something perhaps.

TheZink

I've just got my Xbox One today after having a PS4 since the 29th. The lure of Peggle 2 was just too much and I couldn't therefore resist the urge to jump in.

But I'm disappointed. Everything seems so bloody slow compared to PS4, whether it's booting up from cold, moving around between different elements of the UI or loading up the Store.

Killer Instinct looks like a 360 game IMHO. Jaggies galore and nothing there at all that stands out as next-gen. I'm downloading the DR3 demo right now so I'll give that a go, and I should be picking up Forza 5 later.

I really hate the bumpers on the controller - it's like the pressure point is on the opposite end of the buttons to where it should be. I like everything else about it though, including the asymmetrical sticks which make me feel back at home again.

Also tried routing Sky through it and it's stuttering hell, I thought they'd have fixed the 50hz issue by now.

Ugh, on the positive side I like the noise it makes when you press the Xbox logo, but it feels like a step-back after PS4. I'm sure I'll change my mind when I get some Peggle 2 and Forza 5 going later though.

EDIT: Kinect can't see my face as it's tilting too low down, is there a way to make it zoom out further? On my 360 Kinect could be adjusted with the motor, but I can only manually tilt Kinect 2.0 down, not up? Unless I prop it up with something perhaps.
I had to manually tile mine.

The complaining about the controller is hilarious to me. I hold it and play the same way i did with 360 and its comfortable. Idk how you guys are holding it.

Rey

The complaining about the controller is hilarious to me. I hold it and play the same way i did with 360 and its comfortable. Idk how you guys are holding it.

Yep.
I'm not sure what the problems are with the bumpers because wherever I press it, it registers.

Sydle

Same here. My friends and I picked it up instantly.

Just out of curiosity, would love to see some pictures of how those with issues are holding it.

Yep, it felt completely natural the first time I picked it up. Continues to be one of my favorite controllers of all time.

I love it, my only "beef", which isnt a big deal, is that the grove where the texture starts on the sticks seems to catch alot of white stuff, which im guessing is dry skin, in it lol.

Bsigg12

I'm liking how the store is beginning to become alive. They've begun adding trailers for new games and have a little hub for Titanfall. Speaking of which, I need to find Vince Zampella's gamertag and follow him to see when he's playing Titanfall so I can pin it to my start screen.

Chitown B

why the heck would you ever cold boot? That's a moot point as you should always have it on quick start. The Store takes about 3 seconds. Not slow. I can't comment on elements of the UI in comparison as I haven't used a PS4, but the instant swapping and snapping is pretty fast.

Maybe your TV is set to too high a sharpness because I don't see very many jaggies in KI.

I think if you use your 360 controller again and pay attention you may realize that it too needs pressure on the outside edges of the bumpers, and that's how most people actually press them.

The Kinect should already have a super wide vision - so wide that it can see all of your room. Where are you sitting? You should be able to manually tilt and calibrate it to where you normally sit.

Chitown B

I love it, my only "beef", which isnt a big deal, is that the grove where the texture starts on the sticks seems to catch alot of white stuff, which im guessing is dry skin, in it lol.

Agreed! Though it's not dry skin, it's your thumb pads. Probably rubbing sweaty skin off. Ugh....

Ambient80

Makes no difference. I have the ASUS RT-N65U, the cheaper version of yours, and I've got an open NAT on my 360, One and PS3.
Achievements are glitchy on the Xbox One, it's not just Battlefield. I've unlocked a couple of achievements several times over and over again in Crimson Dragon.

yeah I've got the Driver level 50 achievement on Forza at least 5 times lol. Granted I have reached level 50, but it still gives it to me at least once a day.

HokieJoe

There are some missing from that.

Xbox Live requires the following ports to be open:

Port 88 (UDP)
Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
Port 80 (TCP)
Port 500 (UDP)
UDP Port 3544 (UDP)
UDP Port 4500 (UDP)

Thanks for the additional info.

Just enable UPnP.

I think the article recommended that + enabling port forwarding in your router. For those affected, it might help to chart out a network map. I have a lot of stuff on my network, it helps me get perspective when I need to make changes.

Top Bottom