• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Chitown B

No, that's what's better about the new way, you can designate any console as your home console and where you purchased the games doesn't matter. All my games were purchased on the machine in the living room but I just set my bedroom unit as the home console and she can download and play all my games on her account while I'm logged in on the machine in the living room and can play them as well. If we wanted to do the opposite and can just switch my other console to the home console. AFAIK there is no limit to this like there was with the 360.

Sorry, that's what I meant - home console. That's interesting, good idea!

PSGames

For those considering using this system as a Blu-Ray Player keep in mind that the Xbox One does not support 3D Blu-Rays. Which is absolutely ridiculous for a $500 system. This hasn't been stated anywhere and I wish I had known before selling my PS3 in preparation of Next-gen.

Bsigg12

For those considering using this system as a Blu-Ray Player keep in mind that the Xbox One does not support 3D Blu-Rays. Which is absolutely ridiculous for a $500 system. This hasn't been stated anywhere and I wish I had known before selling my PS3 in preparation of Next-gen.

Neither does the PS4. Since the Blu ray player aspect is a separate app they could add in the functionality without the need of a full system update which could help get it onto the system faster.

Kydd BlaZe

Known about this for a while now. There were a few threads here on GAF explaining the issue. FWIW the PS4 also doesn't support 3D BluRay playback.

Timu

I don't see any crushed blacks on the lower picture. And the top picture looks washed out to me.
My KI comparison is the best for this:
iblVQvyJn4qFJv.png

i5dr1L0soI66K.png

I would image it still has to be a certain way - she would have to use the box it was purchased on, while you had to use the other one because then she's on the home console and you are "signed in away"

That's how it was on 360. On Xbone it's slightly different: The home console is tied to the account, not the purchase, no matter where the purchase was made.

That means it doesn't matter if the other account purchased the game/content trough the web site, the account's owner console, or the other console, the home console will receive the license right away.

English is not my first language, so I fell like I haven't been able to explain properly, so here's an attempt to make it more clear on how sharing works on Xbone:

Let it be:

Gamertag A, whose owner has console A.
Gamertag B, whose owner has console B.

During setup gamertag A has to chose console B as the home console. And gamertag B has to chose console A. And that's pretty much it for setting up. The content is now shared!

That setting now does not have a cooldown (of 2-3 months) like it used on 360, but unlike on 360 if you change your home console the licenses tied to it are revoked as soon as the console is online (or in stand by).

The owner of gamertag A while playing on console A never needs to log with gamertag B, all the purchases gamertag B have are instantly accessible for every account on console A. No matter what game or dlc you try to download, it will say as it was already purchased and ask you to install. The same is valid to gamertag B playing on console B. That might be useful if you don't trust the other person enough. You can go to the person console, setup up your gamertag, and ask for a password during login.

The drawback:

If gamertag C wants to play on console A, a content that is tied to gamertag A, you'll have to log with the account A (thankfully now there's no need to have a controller for each account signed in) so the console knows it can access the content. That has a further drawback: I've only seen in BF4, but the game, on console A wouldn't recognize that gamertag C has access to the season pass bought by gamertag A, even when the content is already installed and gamertag A is logged. Gamertag C would need to log in console B to be able to use the season pass.

statham

Did exactly the same thing, sold my PS3 because I thought it supported 3D. I wish they would just confirm yes or no if sometime in the future it'll be patched in.

def sim

My problem with achievement toasts being sluggish is because of Peggle recording every damn thing I do and filling up the notifications center. What a silly thing.

Bsigg12

My problem with achievement toasts being sluggish is because of Peggle recording every damn thing I do and filling up the notifications center. What a silly thing.

I had 63(!) notifications the other day after playing Peggle for like 2 hours. I have since started shutting my Game DVR off when I play to get rid of all the clips.

def sim

I had 63(!) notifications the other day after playing Peggle for like 2 hours. I have since started shutting my Game DVR off when I play to get rid of all the clips.

Yeah, I've done the same. I wish I could do it on a game by game basis or, better yet, disable auto-recording altogether. It's a pretty awful feature.

Bsigg12

Yeah, I've done the same. I wish I could do it on a game by game basis or, better yet, disable auto-recording altogether. It's a pretty awful feature.

I like the feature but it reminds me of the Xbox 360 launch with achievements. Devs just haven't figured out ways to use it effectively yet so instead we get really odd implementations that cause it to be dumb or abused. I think tying it to achievements and the event leading up to you getting that achievement would be cool but high point shots are best left to a "Xbox, record that."

Caayn

My KI comparison is the best for this:
hehe I'm aware of the issue with some the games hence why I have my One set to limited ;) I was just solely referring to that picture comparison of Ryse that you posted on the previous page.

Snicky

Has anyone else had problems with using DTS audio settings? Using uncompressed 5.1 works fine, however I experience loss of UI sounds and sound cutting in and out in forza when using DTS.

Wondering if this is a common problem, i have not experienced problems with any of my other consoles/computers hooked up to my receiver using DTS and am using the stock Xbox One HDMI cable.

Giggzy

Doing a quick search I found that TCL tv's can use RCA remote codes. Might try a google search for your specific model.

Wait, remote code? Maybe I'm in the wrong menu? Where I'm going to enter it in manually it's asking for brand name and model number. I didn't see anything for remote code. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. I'll try again when I get home from work.

Thanks for the help!

Timu

hehe I'm aware of the issue with some the games hence why I have my One set to limited ;) I was just solely referring to that picture comparison of Ryse that you posted on the previous page.
Ah ok, fair enough, though Ryse looks great with RGB Full.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Wait, remote code? Maybe I'm in the wrong menu? Where I'm going to enter it in manually it's asking for brand name and model number. I didn't see anything for remote code. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. I'll try again when I get home from work.

Thanks for the help!

You wouldn't enter the code. He's saying try entering the device as "RCA" and see if it works. This method works for "Motorola" versus "Comcast"

def sim

I like the feature but it reminds me of the Xbox 360 launch with achievements. Devs just haven't figured out ways to use it effectively yet so instead we get really odd implementations that cause it to be dumb or abused. I think tying it to achievements and the event leading up to you getting that achievement would be cool but high point shots are best left to a "Xbox, record that."

We can already record achievement moments ourselves, though. Many achievements are mundane progression markers that need no recording, too.

The best moments are usually not something the devs would be able to anticipate. An option to opt out would be great!

besada

Banned
Why not just let me turn off auto record? Its bad in battlefield. It always records me in the most boring or embarrassing moments.

All games need the ability to turn off auto-record. BF4 and Peggle 2 are the most egregious at the moment. BF4 because it takes a shot every time you rank up (even if you're standing in a base picking your ass) and Peggle 2 because it just vomits up clips every time you don't shoot the ball directly off the screen.

sangreal

Okay lol. I'll try entering my TV as an RCA first and if that doesn't work I'll try the remote code. Thanks for navigation :D

I'm not sure where you would get a list of all the remote codes the xbox uses anyway so I don't think it will help you. Probably just there for support. I only mentioned it because someone asked about manual entry. I came back to edit my post to avoid confusion, but too late

Red Comet

So what exactly is a healthy Xbox One supposed to sound like? Almost silent? I opened mine up last night and it runs great, but there is somewhat of a slight rattling noise coming from it as if the fan is clipping something. It can't be heard over my TV, but if I mute my TV I can hear it across the room.

Should I get this replaced or is it normal?

rjcc

this has been stated, all over the place. it was widely known before the system came out. where you were getting your info, just wasn't the right place.

Anion

So what exactly is a healthy Xbox One supposed to sound like? Almost silent? I opened mine up last night and it runs great, but there is somewhat of a slight rattling noise coming from it as if the fan is clipping something. It can't be heard over my TV, but if I mute my TV I can hear it across the room.

I had a hissing noise too and it sounded just like how you described. Kinda like this video, except not as loud
http://youtu.be/wk7aoZQSZRI
I waited it out at first. I told myself that it's pretty quite and there is not need for another replacement. Then I saw others on gaf have the issue, so I ordered another. So, while I was waiting for it to come...the noise disappeared? Idk if it's my head or what, but it is no longer there.
Nonetheless, I got the replacement one today and it's pretty quite and does not have the rattling noise.
So, I would wait like a week and check if the noise exists or has gotten worse. However, if it's pretty loud like in the video, I would just call them up and get another.

Btw, I found out that the Advanced Replacement Program gives you a new one, whereas the normal replacement literally fixes yours.

sangreal

It's been stated, it just wasn't made into a big deal because there is no console war angle (PS4 doesn't support 3d blurays either)

Mine sounds like a slight humming fan noise. bugged me a little bit but cant really hear it over the tv.

Lima

It's been stated, it just wasn't made into a big deal because there is no console war angle (PS4 doesn't support 3d blurays either)

Well that and the fact that there are very few people that care about 3D at home means that this is not a big deal.

Red Comet

I had a hissing noise too and it sounded just like how you described. Kinda like this video, except not as loud
http://youtu.be/wk7aoZQSZRI
I waited it out at first. I told myself that it's pretty quite and there is not need for another replacement. Then I saw others on gaf have the issue, so I ordered another. So, while I was waiting for it to come...the noise disappeared? Idk if it's my head or what, but it is no longer there.
Nonetheless, I got the replacement one today and it's pretty quite and does not have the rattling noise.
So, I would wait like a week and check if the noise exists or has gotten worse. However, if it's pretty loud like in the video, I would just call them up and get another.

Btw, I found out that the Advanced Replacement Program gives you a new one, whereas the normal replacement literally fixes yours.

Yeah, mine sounds a lot like the one in that video, only not as loud. I actually called Microsoft earlier today and started the replacement process, but I'm still waiting on them to email me the shipping label, so I wanted to make double sure that there was something wrong with it. If you received a different Xbox that doesn't rattle, then there is definitely something up with the ones that do.

I'll be doing the normal replacement since I don't want them putting a +$500 hold on my card and when I talked to Microsoft earlier today I asked the guy whether they'd be doing a repair or a replacement and he told me that it depends on the issue. He said that for a noise problem like this they'll probably just send a replacement. I'll know for sure whether or not it was a replacement because the one I have now came with a scuff on the side.

Anion

Yeah, mine sounds a lot like the one in that video, only not as loud. I actually called Microsoft earlier today and started the replacement process, but I'm still waiting on them to email me the shipping label, so I wanted to make double sure that there was something wrong with it. If you received a different Xbox that doesn't rattle, then there is definitely something up with the ones that do.

I'll be doing the normal replacement since I don't want them putting a +$500 hold on my card and when I talked to Microsoft earlier today I asked the guy whether they'd be doing a repair or a replacement and he told me that it depends on the issue. He said that for a noise problem like this they'll probably just send a replacement. I'll know for sure whether or not it was a replacement because the one I have now came with a scuff on the side.

Ah okay. Makes sense. My friend who had to order one two was told that either way he would get a new one. I suppose the truth does lie in the center and your answer makes the most sense lol

On a side note, I did notice something different on the console. It probably doesnt mean much, but I will post it anyways.
The top sticker came the replacement (it has an extra "HDMI" sticker)
Bottom sticker is the Day One edition
img_07335huh4.jpg

sangreal

FWIW, Zumba Fitness demo is up.

If you're using it on a TV that doesn't support Full RGB. Most don't.

been up for a week or so. Gave it a shot and it's pretty bad. Comes with one of those quintessential zumba songs and then born this way for some reason. My gf liked it since she is into zumba and relishes the fact that I can't do any of the moves, but my problem with it is that the scoring is incredibly lax. You can pretty much flail around and it gives you credit for it

Also, the demo didn't have any kind of training mode like dance central so it was a huge pain in the ass just jumping into the routines

Top Bottom