• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
cross posting this in the HDTV thread - not sure if its an xbox one issue or something that needs to be modified with my new tv (panasonic s60).

problem: when playing on the xbox, the blacks have a lot of noise in the form of green pixels dancing about. it looks like tv "snow" but only with black and green pixels. its not super noticeable, except during transitions/loading in which the whole screen is black - but its obviously something i'd like to correct. it also seems to have gotten a bit worse over the last few days. i dont recall even seeing it until a few days ago and now its rather obvious.

any ideas to what the cause may be and how to fix it?

DeVeAn

My Kinect is higher elevated on the left and lower on the right. It works fine though anyone else have this goin on? Just seems weird.

Also the controller out the box, the left quarter panel is loose and there are no screws. Just wondering if its just my luck or others have any issues.

rjcc

cross posting this in the HDTV thread - not sure if its an xbox one issue or something that needs to be modified with my new tv (panasonic s60).

problem: when playing on the xbox, the blacks have a lot of noise in the form of green pixels dancing about. it looks like tv "snow" but only with black and green pixels. its not super noticeable, except during transitions/loading in which the whole screen is black - but its obviously something i'd like to correct. it also seems to have gotten a bit worse over the last few days. i dont recall even seeing it until a few days ago and now its rather obvious.

any ideas to what the cause may be and how to fix it?

have you tried disconnecting / swapping hdmi cables? it may or may not be it, but I had an HDMI cable go bad (for the first time ever, a few months ago) and it manifested a lot like that.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
have you tried disconnecting / swapping hdmi cables? it may or may not be it, but I had an HDMI cable go bad (for the first time ever, a few months ago) and it manifested a lot like that.

been googling it and it sounds like that could definitely be it. hope its not an issue with the HDMI port(s) as the cable would be an easier fix.

Hawk269

3GB update for Ryse today. Download was quick, installation is taking forever. :|

Hmmm...I thought that you were suppose to get a notification that an update had downloaded???? I just clicked on Ryse and it was already at 94%, but still is odd that it did not notify me of an update.

They need to work on this as well as a bunch of other things.

def sim

Dithering on plasma televisions is normal. You can reduce their visibility by lowering the brightness, but they'll always be there. You shouldn't really notice them unless you're super close.

sangreal

Hmmm...I thought that you were suppose to get a notification that an update had downloaded???? I just clicked on Ryse and it was already at 94%, but still is odd that it did not notify me of an update.

They need to work on this as well as a bunch of other things.

I don't think it downloads right away, so if you waited until tomorrow you might've gotten a notification.

The progress bar is a lie, don't believe it. Mine also said 95% from the start, but took forever

Arent we, that forked out 40 bucks, supposed to get it earlier?

On reflection (looking at press release)

•Combo Breaker Pack. Save 50% instantly by purchasing the Combo Breaker Pack (the first eight characters – six at launch and then early access to the other two new characters before their official release) for just $19.99 / 16.99 Pounds / 19.99 EURO

Seems you are correct.
More than likely as EchoChamber said, early January and early March.
Would be nice to have Spinal soon though.

Hawk269

Hmmm in the Ryse update you can now view the collectibles within the game and not just through the smartglass app...finally! Still looking at what other changes they made to the game.

The leaderboards are also now up. And it looks like the chapter select screen is a little different now. Interesting.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I don't think it downloads right away, so if you waited until tomorrow you might've gotten a notification.

The progress bar is a lie, don't believe it. Mine also said 95% from the start, but took forever

I think it just adds on the update at the initial 100% install, which sets the percent backwards and makes it seem farther than it is. So the seemingly 5% thing isn't actually the update shooting to a high percent and crawling.

But yeah, they really need to get a clearer look at patches in particular. Dead Rising 3 on day one was confusing as hell when it installed the giant patch before anything but showed 0% forever as it didn't show the actual percent of that separately.

THEF3AR

So I got a question for you Xbox One owners.

I bought a PS4 at launch and I love it, but I honestly want to stay with Xbox. I have been primarily Xbox since it debuted.

I have a friend who is willing to buy my PS4 and buy me an Xbox One with COD, DR3, and Ryse. I have a PS4 with COD, BF4, and AC4.

Hawk269

got an xbox one a couple days ago. loving the console, really not liking forza.

Congrats. What is about Forza you are not liking? Did you play the previous ones before? I am loving the game, even with the issues. It needs more tracks and some little things like letting you know what cars you already own when browsing cars to buy. I have already accidently bought the same care twice a few times because of this oversight.

Hawk269

I bought a PS4 at launch and I love it, but I honestly want to stay with Xbox. I have been primarily Xbox since it debuted.

I have a friend who is willing to buy my PS4 and buy me an Xbox One with COD, DR3, and Ryse. I have a PS4 with COD, BF4, and AC4.

Well that is really up to you. I mean COD as well as AC4 does run at a bit higher resolution than the Xbox One version, but for me (I have both), I rarely have used my PS4 because I am more involved in playing DR3, Forza, Ryse etc. I did double dip on BF4 and while I know technically the PS4 version is better to me the Xbox One plays better and have had less issues with it.

The Xbox One also has all the media stuff and to me the Kinect is what really makes a big difference. My fiancée and I use the system daily since we pipe our cable box through it and have had rarely any issues with Kinect and voice commands.

PS4 is a great system and it packs a punch for it's hardware, but for me, as of right now there are just more games that I like on the Xbox One and while I have double dipped on some games, I do prefer the Xbox One's versions as it seems smoother to me and I also like the controller a bit better too, so that plays into it as well.

Tyrax

both are great systems, if you are only planning on having one, get the one where your friends are

Giggzy

I have both, with the xbox being the newest(just a few days). I've been enjoying the xbox much more. I have a fairly lengthy post about it a couple pages back I believe if you want my reasonings.

so since I can't turn on my console and delete my account/games should I have anything to worry about when returning my console?

Returning it at the MS store, and no credit card is attached to my account...but I do have money on the account from old microsoft points. If I change my password should I be okay?

The Flash

Banned
Hey guys, I've been using the Xbox One's game dvr to make some amusing gameplay videos and have been uploading them to my channel. If you wouldn't mind, I'd like your guy's honest opinions and criticisms. I'm new to the whole YT channel thing so I'm open to suggestions. Here's the link to my channel http://www.youtube.com/user/CDRstrange. I'm not asking for subs, just your guy's opinion as vidya game fans.

The Flash

Banned
so since I can't turn on my console and delete my account/games should I have anything to worry about when returning my console?

Returning it at the MS store, and no credit card is attached to my account...but I do have money on the account from old microsoft points. If I change my password should I be okay?

I'd change it just to play it safe.

One of the couples we hang out with gave me a 25$ Xbox gift card. Should I get a Crimson Dragon or Powerstar? I really like Hot Shots and Panzer so it's about as much of a toss up as I can get.

Don't know if you have made your decision yet but as someone that owns both I thought I'd chime in and say Powerstar Golf. I've had the most fun with that personally. The only bummer about it is that it doesn't have any online multiplayer.

bidguy

Banned
noticed something weird with the bluray player yesterday.

ive switched the systemlanguage to english and popped a movie in but i noticed those awful black bars above and the synch was off. no way to fix it.

changed the systemlanguage to german, rebooted the console and and started the movie. the black bars gone and everything was fine. not sure what the problem was maybe it has something to do with the regional code ? movie was american gangster

Klocker

anyone get their games to resume after standby?

only one that works for me is Black Flag.

NBA 2k loses connection to server and needs to restart (even after just watching tv sometimes)

forza 5 works between apps no problem but has to restart when coming from standby

anyone get their games to resume after standby?

only one that works for me is Black Flag.

NBA 2k loses connection to server and needs to restart (even after just watching tv sometimes)

forza 5 works between apps no problem but has to restart when coming from standby

Yeah. Black Flag, DR3, Ryse & Zoo Tycoon all work for me.

Like you, Forza doesn't work for me. It just reverts back to the main menu screen for me.

Well, this probably won't be of much help, but which one do you personally want the most, or do you feel you would most regret not having? If the answer is the PS4, then go with that. If the answer is the Xbox One, then Xbox it is.

Consider especially which games you're most interested in playing, as well features that you may or may not miss having. If having the best possible version of multi-platforms is a very big factor, then the PS4 is the safe bet there. If your only reason for sticking with Xbox is because you've always been an Xbox guy, then that may not be the best reason to choose a system if you find you're more interested in a PS4. So, really, make the decision that is best for you. Consider the total package and then make your decision. As someone else said, both systems are obviously great. I wouldn't necessarily go where my friends are if you'd end up regretting your decision, because, at the end of the day, what you want is a lot more important than that. Most of my ps2 era friends were on the original Xbox, whereas I was on a PS2. If what you want is to be where your friends are more than anything, then so be it. Just be absolutely certain it's what you want.

thanks

so forza and nba don't work yet...

anyone else have games that do and don't work? hopefully these can be patched

Hopefully NBA gets patched but I doubt it, there's clearly some problem with NBA's ridiculous DRM that requires you to always be online to access most of its features.

Don't know if you have made your decision yet but as someone that owns both I thought I'd chime in and say Powerstar Golf. I've had the most fun with that personally. The only bummer about it is that it doesn't have any online multiplayer.

I actually have not. I'm moving this weekend so I've been focused on packing and haven't had much game time. I'll probably pick one up on Monday. Thanks for the recommendation though.

C4Lukins

Where are you getting the numbers attached to each game? I've never seen that before.

So I am currently following about 400 people. Mostly GAF people.

So if you go to the Store section of the UI and then Games, it brings up several sub sections of games.

Featured, New Releases, Add On's, Top Games Right now! and then Popular Games. Under Popular Games it shows you the amount of friends who have played said game. And if you click down to the full listing, it gives you 12 games and tells you how many friends have played them.

Now as I stated earlier! it is not accurate because Peggle 2 was at 60 a couple of days ago and Ryse was not even on there but is now at 57. FM5 was at around 115 a couple of days ago and is now down to 97. So whatever the whole thing is a meaningless mess. All you can really gain from it is that the 12 seemingly randomly selected games give you a decent indication of their popularity among my friends list.

Caayn

Any chances of the friends and followers systems ever being separated? I really don't like how they're basically one system.
Allow me to add friends the same way as we used to be able to do for years like we always did.

Lima

Any chances of the friends and followers systems ever being separated? I really don't like how they're basically one system.
Allow me to add friends the same way as we used to be able to do for years like we always did.

Why? Seems overly complicated to separate the two.

Besides it pretty much works like the old system just with the addition of followers.

Top Bottom