• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Does anyone else find that they have to shout really close to the Kinect to turn the "Xbox On"? I can turn it off with my "inside voice" from across the room, but turning it on takes some effort.

Caayn

Why? Seems overly complicated to separate the two.

Besides it pretty much works like the old system just with the addition of followers.
The new system is over complicated in my eyes. The current system is nothing more than a followers system. Your friends list isn't a friend list anymore it has become a list of you people that you "follow". (imo)

When I add someone to my friend list that person automatically is added to mine without any kind of agreement from that person and that person never receives any kind of a notification unless I sent him/her a message myself.

When someone doesn't accept my friend invite I want to instantly know, I don't want him/her to stay on my list for ever until I check it myself.

Make us choose between following a person or actually sending a friend invite that needs to be confirmed or rejected by the other person(that's what I mean with separating the two). You can keep them in the same list but mark actual friends so that they're easily distinguishable with the people that you follow. It's a simply extra button in the profile view combined with a notification like we had on the 360.

Alx

Does anyone else find that they have to shout really close to the Kinect to turn the "Xbox On"? I can turn it off with my "inside voice" from across the room, but turning it on takes some effort.

Since the "Xbox on" command has to be detected while in low power mode, I suppose that the recognition algorithms are more simple and require you to speak more clearly.
I didn't really notice a sensitivity to distance or even volume, but there is definitely a right rythm and intonation to "get" for the "on" command.

Lima

The new system is over complicated in my eyes. The current system is nothing more than a followers system. Your friends list isn't a friend list anymore it has become a list of you people that you "follow". (imo)

When I add someone to my friend list that person automatically is added to mine without any kind of agreement from that person and that person never receives any kind of a notification unless I sent him/her a message myself.

When someone doesn't accept my friend invite I want to instantly know, I don't want him/her to stay on my list for ever until I check it myself.

Make us choose between following a person or actually sending a friend invite that needs to be confirmed or rejected by the other person(that's what I mean with separating the two). You can keep them in the same list but mark actual friends so that they're easily distinguishable with the people that you follow. It's a simply extra button in the profile view combined with a notification like we had on the 360.

Uhm yeah they get a notification. Under followers they will have a symbol indicating that they have new followers. They can then view these new followers (they come up first) and decide whether or not to follow them also and become friends.

The person doesn't need to agree to this because it is not different from someone looking at your gamercard on xbox.com.

If this bothers you there are a whole bunch of privacy settings available.

Caayn

Uhm yeah they get a notification. Under followers they will have a symbol indicating that they have new followers. They can then view these new followers (they come up first) and decide whether or not to follow them also and become friends.

The person doesn't need to agree to this because it is not different from someone looking at your gamercard on xbox.com.

If this bothers you there are a whole bunch of privacy settings available.
Thank you for ignoring most of my post and focusing solely on the tiny corner notification on the followers button in the friends&followers app.

You don't have a problem with it and that's great for you but that doesn't mean that I can't have any problems with this new system.

Hubble

Agree, the 360 layout seems so much better including parties, comparing achievements, etc

Lima

Before you had a 1 under messages. I fail to see how it is different. Either a message or the symbol is fine. Both indicate that someone wants to add you to their friends list.

DarkFlow

Banned

So basically it's Xbox Twitter.

oVerde

Banned

It's pretty much the "twitter" system which many many gamers are known to use and its works. You add someone, you show up on followers (with notifications), you add back, and now you are friends.

It's a great way of distribution of content without the commitment of privacy and intrusive interactions.

Alx

I like the new system, it reduced the amount of friend requests from people I don't know, and it allows me to follow people that aren't necessarily friends. Since the request system is still there, it's still possible to add friends "the old way".

Caayn

Don't get me wrong I'm not asking for a removal of this new system and I get that people like this new twitter like system, I really do. But please understand that there are people, take me for example, who dislike this new system. For any number of reasons.

Nope, works fine for me everytime. I really haven't had the difficulties some others have, and I feel bad for others :(

So jealous. I wish I had verizon in my area. Waiting on the Xfinity app now.

Same here^^. I have Comcats and XFINITY, so I'm hoping that they come out with an app like this. I only have one cable box, and it is in the living room. My X1 is in my room, so an app like this FiOS one would be amazing for me.

simples

Banned
Before you had a 1 under messages. I fail to see how it is different. Either a message or the symbol is fine. Both indicate that someone wants to add you to their friends list.
the system is fine but they should give you a pop up notification, like such and such has started following you

you hold the guide to see who (goes to their proflle), follow back if you want. done

Hmmm...I thought that you were suppose to get a notification that an update had downloaded???? I just clicked on Ryse and it was already at 94%, but still is odd that it did not notify me of an update.

They need to work on this as well as a bunch of other things.

I never got an update prompt, but noticed that it no longer keeps track of the number of collectibles I have collected so far when I pick them up. Was this changed in the update?

My Xbox is in standby mode, so did it turn itself on and update Ryse at some point without me knowing?

operon

When myself and a friend start a chat it will usually let one of us on but not the other.

That happens to us from time to time and we have to use Skype. It's a pity the messed this up because the voice quality is amazing but they made it so more complicated when they have the best system with the 360

Don't get me wrong I'm not asking for a removal of this new system and I get that people like this new twitter like system, I really do. But please understand that there are people, take me for example, who dislike this new system. For any number of reasons.
I wonder why anyone would prefer it.

R3TRODYCE

The idea in Quantum Break is to alternate between episodes of the game and the TV show. "The game and the show are designed to be built as one experience, to be experienced as one package. So you play an episode of the game, then you can unlock an episode of the show, play another episode of the game, and unlock another episode of the show, and so on.

"Without telling too much, you'll be looking at two different sides of the coin from a story perspective," Hakkinen hinted. "In the game you'll be following the story of one theme, in the show you'll be following the story of another theme. These are meshing together to form the whole experience."

http://www.oxm.co.uk/68253/new-quantum-break-details-how-the-cross-media-storyline-works/

Novoitus

Banned
Congrats. What is about Forza you are not liking? Did you play the previous ones before? I am loving the game, even with the issues. It needs more tracks and some little things like letting you know what cars you already own when browsing cars to buy. I have already accidently bought the same care twice a few times because of this oversight.

i played 3 and 4. just don't like how i can't free play with all the cars i haven't bought and it feels like everything's much harder to buy/get. and yeah buying able to buy a car you already bought is kind of annoying

smaller amount of cars and tracks too but that's understandable for a launch game. it's just not impressing me that much. and i'm not having as much fun as I did with 4 so far

JaggedSac

hey guys, question, on some reddit post they had this link: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xb...-During-Killer-Instinct-Tournament-61114.html
something about digital downloads still have to call in every day? I know it's not a big of a deal as the disc's having to do it, but was this covered ? I didn't know.... sorry if old :)

There was a thread on this. Basically, the Bone has the same policy as the 360 and PS4. If the game isn't being played on the primary machine of the profile that bought it, then an online check is required.

My Kinect is higher elevated on the left and lower on the right. It works fine though anyone else have this goin on? Just seems weird.

Also the controller out the box, the left quarter panel is loose and there are no screws. Just wondering if its just my luck or others have any issues.
I have been freaking out about my controller feeling lose and moving in my hands. Good to know I am not the only one.

Caayn

hey guys, question, on some reddit post they had this link: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xb...-During-Killer-Instinct-Tournament-61114.html
something about digital downloads still have to call in every day? I know it's not a big of a deal as the disc's having to do it, but was this covered ? I didn't know.... sorry if old :)
Has been covered already in this thread.
TLDR: The Xbox One and the PS4 have the same "DRM" as the Xbox 360 has. Mountains out of molehills.
The Alan Wake live action episodes were awesome
They were nice, but weren't they only used for the little TVs that you used to find at in levels? Not counting American Nightmare with the big cinema screen.
Live action fitted Alan Wake, but it's also necessary to be said that they weren't overused in Alan Wake.

oVerde

Banned
Can't believe this shit, fuck!
aq9NkDyl.jpg

Chitown B

Has been covered already in this thread.
TLDR: The Xbox One and the PS4 have the same "DRM" as the Xbox 360 has. Mountains out of molehills.
They were nice, but weren't they only used for the little TVs that you used to find at in levels? Not counting American Nightmare with the big cinema screen.
Live action fitted Alan Wake, but it's also necessary to be said that they weren't overused in Alan Wake.

no, I'm talking about the 6 live action episodes you could download on XBL.

1 of 6 - http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Episode-1-Oh-Deer/00000000-0000-400b-80bf-000f4d530805

see5harp

Re calibrate it. Turn the sound way up should be better

Yea, mine works fine but I have noticed that it takes a little more effort to get it on. That sorta makes sense though especially if you have it set to turn on your TV and receiver. Better that way than over sensitive for the start up process.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
i played 3 and 4. just don't like how i can't free play with all the cars i haven't bought and it feels like everything's much harder to buy/get. and yeah buying able to buy a car you already bought is kind of annoying

smaller amount of cars and tracks too but that's understandable for a launch game. it's just not impressing me that much. and i'm not having as much fun as I did with 4 so far

You played 3 and 4? Have you gone here https://rewards.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/redeem?

You likely have something waiting for you ;)

Caayn

the system is fine but they should give you a pop up notification, like such and such has started following you

you hold the guide to see who (goes to their proflle), follow back if you want. done

Yeah at least give us a notification. I never know who's following unless I manually check it.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Never knew those existed.
Thanks, you just gave me 3 million free credits in Forza 5 :D

You're welcome :) I would wait to spend it though, there is a patch coming soon which will lower the price of cars.

OmahaG8

In case anyone in the Omaha, NE area is looking for a One.

Saw 2 in the Papillion Target last night. Just hanging out, packed store. No fucks given.

Giggzy

So I got my TCL TV connected to the system now. I was accidentally entering the wrong model# =| it's still not working correctly though. Xbox Mute/Volume Up/Volume Down commands work great, but my TV won't turn on or off when I shutdown my Xbox. Any ideas?

sangreal

So I got my TCL TV connected to the system now. I was accidentally entering the wrong model# =| it's still not working correctly though. Xbox Mute/Volume Up/Volume Down commands work great, but my TV won't turn on or off when I shutdown my Xbox. Any ideas?

you need to enable that in the settings, it's off by default

Recalibrate it with higher volume , works for me pretty good with my "inside voice"

Top Bottom