• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

IRQ

Banned
how are you liking the 1520? I've only messed around briefly with one

I like it alot. I have 920 and 925. Love the 1520 because of the big screen and smoothness on this phone. The display is fantastic and great to watch movies on it.

To be able to customize the tiles on a 1080p display is so great.

Very fast phone, That's what I like about WP. Very fast and almost never lags :D

I understand you work on WP right? Great job guys :) Our business partners are very happy with them.

SegaShack

I wanted to ask in here, when Upload Studio says "do not close upload studio" (when it's uploading a clip), does that mean that you should not be doing anything on the system and to leave that window as the sole focus, or can you switch back to other things while it uploads?

I wanted to ask in here, when Upload Studio says "do not close upload studio" (when it's uploading a clip), does that mean that you should not be doing anything on the system and to leave that window as the sole focus, or can you switch back to other things while it uploads?

Stay in the window, IIRC it pauses the upload when the app loses focus.

Giggzy

Update on my kinect not turning my TV on or off:

I went into the settings menu and unchecked the options to turn the TV on/off. I then backed out of settings and shutdown the xbox. I then booted it back up, went back into settings and enabled the on/off feature. Now everything works perfectly.

Update on my kinect not turning my TV on or off:

I went into the settings menu and unchecked the options to turn the TV on/off. I then backed out of settings and shutdown the xbox. I then booted it back up, went back into settings and enabled the on/off feature. Now everything works perfectly.

Strange, i will have to try this.

Wow. MS need to fix these install times.

I borrowed AC IV from a mate to try today and it took around 10 mins to install and update. Anyway I quite enjoyed the game and seeing as it was so cheap to buy the PS4 version, because of the special Sony have running, I decided to buy it. To my surprise it took 10 mins to download the update and enough of the game to start playing. Which makes the Xbox time seem even more ridiculous, MS need to sort that out because that's not acceptable.

By the way sorry for all the Sony talk but this just made me realise how poor the Xbox handles game installs.

DericLee

Banned
I've looked, and can't find it, but does anyone know if there is a way to turn off Kinect support in Need for Speed Rivals?

Honestly, I would be cool with just turning off some of the voice commands, as I love saying "GPS Hideout/Repairshop" to get an instant nav line.

But there are voice commands included to make the camera pan around your car, or show you the reverse view, or enter the menu...why they would make those voice commands is beyond me, especially since random conversation in the room seems to set off these.

So annoyed to be in the middle of escaping cops at heat level 10, with $140,000 on the line, only to lose it all because I wrecked when the camera did a 360 pan around my car. :|

...also, is there an official forum for the game? Haven't been able to find one.

DC R1D3R

Banned
Thoroughly enjoying my purchase. X1 is a great piece of kit. Got a bundle deal from GAME , day after launch which included Forza 5, Fifa 14, COD ghosts and Pacific Rim Blu ray. And have since downloaded Killer instinct, Ryse and Powerstone Golf.

RB and LB bumpers took a while for me to get used to, so now Fifa is getting loads more playtime! Although the analogue sticks feel looser than 360's, the grip makes the pad just feel a whole lot better imo. Force feedback is unparalleled in magnificence. Forza's a dream to play!

My only gripes are the friend/party chat system, loading in certain games (RYSE) and the d-pad. MS need to refine party chat ASAP and the d-pad is fucking shite!!!

Chitown B

Wow. MS need to fix these install times.

I borrowed AC IV from a mate to try today and it took around 10 mins to install and update. Anyway I quite enjoyed the game and seeing as it was so cheap to buy the PS4 version, because of the special Sony have running, I decided to buy it. To my surprise it took 10 mins to download the update and enough of the game to start playing. Which makes the Xbox time seem even more ridiculous, MS need to sort that out because that's not acceptable.

By the way sorry for all the Sony talk but this just made me realise how poor the Xbox handles game installs.

I don't understand - both took about 10 mins. Why is the Xbox so much worse?

P.S. - 10 minutes is not a long time. People have gotten really impatient. It's 20GB of game copying. It takes that long for me to copy that across a network internally at work.

I don't understand - both took about 10 mins. Why is the Xbox so much worse?

P.S. - 10 minutes is not a long time. People have gotten really impatient. It's 20GB of game copying. It takes that long for me to copy that across a network internally at work.
Because one is downloading from the Internet over my slow ass Australian connection, the other is installing straight from disc. I'd assume the disc based game would have installed faster then it takes to download and install on PS4. It just wowed me how much that Play Go shit Sony are using is so much better then MS's solution. I've waited 30 mins for some disc based games to install on my Xbox and much longer for downloaded games.

Bravoexo

I got notified of a 1.2Gb update for NBA2K14... it was going slow... started at 97% and after 2 hrs still 97%.

I cancelled the install.

I didn't know it actually removed the whole previous install. WTF. I had to reinstall the game again (first removed net, to force a disc only install)... then got notified for another 1.4Gb update. Damn it. What a waste of my time just to babysit this process... I can't phantom why it keeps doing "Installation Stop!" error or just going in and out of Installing...to Queue for unknown reasons.

Chitown B

Because one is downloading from the Internet over my slow ass Australian connection, the other is installing straight from disc. I'd assume the disc based game would have installed faster then it takes to download and install on PS4. That Play Go shit Sony are using is so much better then MS's solution. I've waited 30 mins for some disc based games to install on my Xbox and even longer for downloaded games.

AC4 was playable on my X1 at about 25% downloaded.

AC4 was playable on my X1 at about 25% downloaded.
Yeah same here, took 10 mins to get there and then a few mins to update.

My point was that one is installing from the disc, the other is downloaded from the net over a slow connection. It was just surprising how quick the PS4 handles it and in my experience it has a massive advantage with install times from both disc and online. MS need to fix this, all my Xbox one games have been slow to install I mean DR3 took me 30 mins.

purg3

slept with Malkin
I got notified of a 1.2Gb update for NBA2K14... it was going slow... started at 97% and after 2 hrs still 97%.

I cancelled the install.

I didn't know it actually removed the whole previous install. WTF. I had to reinstall the game again (first removed net, to force a disc only install)... then got notified for another 1.4Gb update. Damn it. What a waste of my time just to babysit this process... I can't phantom why it keeps doing "Installation Stop!" error or just going in and out of Installing...to Queue for unknown reasons.

Same thing happened to me on the last COD ghosts update. Stuck at 98% for 40mins so I thought it was messed up and cancelled the installation. Has to reinstall the previous update after which ended up taking even longer. Definitely not a fan of the update and install system they have in place right now.

Razdek

Banned

My point was that one is installing from the disc, the other is downloaded from the net over a slow connection. It was just surprising how quick the PS4 handles it and in my experience it has a massive advantage with install times from both disc and online. MS need to fix this, all my Xbox one games have been slow to install I mean DR3 took me 30 mins.

I agree, this must've been mentioned in their testing because it's a crappy user experience compared to the PS4. This better be one of the higher priority fixes they are working on.

New 600mb update for BF4 today. Seems to be more stable for me. For those having problems joining matches, i recommend downloading the battlelog on your smartphone. you can log into your account, search for servers and remotely join a game. It seems to work alot better than the standard server browser.

Chitown B

Yeah, they should hopefully improve the way they handle installs in the future. I was buying a game on my PS3 two days ago and remembered how painful that was. It's like 4 prompts to buy, then background download, then install, then Update, then install, then sync trophies - and sometimes the update has to install something else after, and then sync trophies again. Ugh.

Trueachievements.com has XB1 achievement tracking now btw. It's actually nice to see achievements in a non-fucked way like it's currently on the console.

I hope they turn achievements around again. You could have guides attached to them, all sorts of stats like rarity etc. Instead they didn't develop the idea any further at all.

Chitown B

Trueachievements.com has XB1 achievement tracking now btw. It's actually nice to see achievements in a non-fucked way like it's currently on the console.

I hope they turn achievements around again. You could have guides attached to them, all sorts of stats like rarity etc. Instead they didn't develop the idea any further at all.

what are you talking about? TA has that. Microsoft never had that.

The Flash

Banned
So I watched a Max: The Curse of Brotherhood gameplay trailer and I think I might get it. I've never been big into platformers but I've been watching a lot of JonTron and Game Grumps lately and my interest in the genre has grown significantly. At the very least, I'll be able to relate to the story because I know what's like to grow up with a brother.

Anyone buying Halo Spartan Assault ? I like top down shooters but heard mixed opinions about this game

I'm doing the $5 upgrade deal. It's the primary game on my Surface.

zorbsie

I'm doing the $5 upgrade deal. It's the primary game on my Surface.

What's this $5 upgrade about? I've got it on my phone and surface, can't find a link to any info on that though.

EDIT: Found it. This is really cool. Glad I won't have to pay full price for it, and I would assume that the stats must be shared across all platforms too.

Chitown B

I'm talking about what MS could have done. They could have implemented cool stuff like that on Xbox One vs. 360.

ohhhh. I read that wrong.

I think they'll do more with them - I think that X1 in a year will be drastically changed. Some of the screens they showed with Achievements were already changed from this summer.

The Flash

Banned
What's this $5 upgrade about? I've got it on my phone and surface, can't find a link to any info on that though.

EDIT: Found it. This is really cool. Glad I won't have to pay full price for it, and I would assume that the stats must be shared across all platforms too.

If not it doesn't matter cause we're buying the game again for the sole purpose of playing it again on different system :p

Marco1

Really enjoying my xbone that I bought this week.
Ryse and DR3 are great but why can I not see how much battery is left on the controller and also how do I turn vibration off?
Where is the setting to see how much HDD space is left?
Thanks.

Really enjoying my xbone that I bought this week.
Ryse and DR3 are great but why can I not see how much battery is left on the controller and also how do I turn vibration off?
Where is the setting to see how much HDD space is left?
Thanks.

No battery indicator exists, and there is no HDD manager on the console. It baffles us all.

Top Bottom