• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

sangreal

I'm loving the gameclips but they need to add a comment system, and a non-skydrive way to share them online in order to facilitate said comments

JaggedSac

I'm loving the gameclips but they need to add a comment system, and a non-skydrive way to share them online in order to facilitate said comments

Yeah, the video uploads are begging for a web site with filtering and sorting and all kinds of good ways to let the cool stuff float to the top.

GravyButt

Ok i cant win. This one is now doing the exact same thing, and no im not trolling. Best buy is closed now so I cant ask, but can I just bring the console back in for a full refund?! I know im out of luck on my opened DR3 but is it possible or is it only going to be for store credit. Beyond frustrated at this point.

VanWinkle

This is how I am, I'm playing my X1 far more than my PS4.

This is not surprising at all. XB1 had a bigger exclusive launch lineup. There's more to play on it at this moment in time. I haven't played on my PS4 in days. I'm just waiting until more games come out.

Bsigg12

Just had a pretty cool moment in Ryse where I got a double execution and during it an explosion occurred in the background. Looked pretty cool imo.

http://sdrv.ms/1hpMyx2

EDIT: And here is a little montage with Powerstar Golf, Ryse, and DR 3. Something explodes beside me while I am on the rollerhog and it sends me flying about 50 feet, pretty cool.

http://sdrv.ms/1cfueY7

That Ryse clip was great. I really wish we had the ability to remove the UI from clips because then it would be perfect.

sangreal

it's called downloading and posting wherever you want. Youtube, Facebook, etc.

Obviously, but I would like something more organized. Like Miiverse I guess (but I've never used it). At least a like button to determine the featured clips in Upload. I really have no idea how they're chosen now, because some of them are terrible

As an example, I was watching a (featured) clip in Upload about how to get the Ultimate Grim Reaper in DR3 which just showed the location of one blueprint. I wanted to make a comment that the blueprints are dynamic based on the order you get them, so that will only be the UGR blueprint if you have all the precursors

Chitown B

Obviously, but I would like something more organized. Like Miiverse I guess (but I've never used it). At least a like button to determine the featured clips in Upload. I really have no idea how they're chosen now, because some of them are terrible

As an example, I was watching a (featured) clip in Upload about how to get the Ultimate Grim Reaper in DR3 which just showed the location of one blueprint. I wanted to make a comment that the blueprints are dynamic based on the order you get them, so that will only be the UGR blueprint if you have all the precursors

noted. that could be neat, but then again MS can't police it so I doubt it'd happen. We don't even have typed profiles anymore.

Tmecha

Neo Member
Just had a pretty cool moment in Ryse where I got a double execution and during it an explosion occurred in the background. Looked pretty cool imo.

Nice clip. My TV must be shit or something, those colour prompts for the execution look really bright compared to when I play, that must be why I fail them sometimes with the wrong button press.

The Flash

Banned
While we're on the topic of game clips I just want to add this; I freakin' love Game DVR. I am so happy that it was built into the system. The stuff that I've been able to capture over the past few days has lead me to learn more about video editing than anything else. That being said, it has also lead to some unforeseen and unfortunate consequences. Through Game DVR I have rediscovered a particular level of immaturity that I once thought that I had rid myself of many years ago. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the fruits of my labor for the past few hours. Warning: the following video may result in brain cell death.

RulkezX

EDIT: And here is a little montage with Powerstar Golf, Ryse, and DR 3. Something explodes beside me while I am on the rollerhog and it sends me flying about 50 feet, pretty cool.

http://sdrv.ms/1cfueY7

The Ryse vid was cinematic and everything, but does it do that slow motion shit all the time ? It just killed any desire I had to pick up the game.

battery indicator is rarely accurate on the 360, so I think they just ditched it.

The on screen one had some issues, but the controller one was near perfect. To ditch both of them was an incredibly stupid thing to do...

Had they at least kept the controller based one, it wouldn't be that much of an issue. Have the light turn red or become dimmer or something...to have absolutely no way of knowing if your battery low is inexcusable...

G_Berry

Banned
While we're on the topic of game clips I just want to add this; I freakin' love Game DVR. I am so happy that it was built into the system. The stuff that I've been able to capture over the pasty few days has lead me to learn about video editing than anything else. That being said, it has also lead to some unforeseen and unfortunate consequences. Through Game DVR I have rediscovered a particular level of immaturity that I once thought that I had rid myself of many years ago. Ladies and gentlemen, I give the fruits of my labor for the past few hours. Warning: the following video may result in brain cell death. Warning: the following video may result in brain cell death.

Lol. The ending? Amazing!

While we're on the topic of game clips I just want to add this; I freakin' love Game DVR. I am so happy that it was built into the system. The stuff that I've been able to capture over the pasty few days has lead me to learn about video editing than anything else. That being said, it has also lead to some unforeseen and unfortunate consequences. Through Game DVR I have rediscovered a particular level of immaturity that I once thought that I had rid myself of many years ago. Ladies and gentlemen, I give the fruits of my labor for the past few hours. Warning: the following video may result in brain cell death. Warning: the following video may result in brain cell death.

Very good!

I really hope nobody saw my BF4 level up auto uploaded video. The switch from 30-60fps has not been kind. I'm like a baby learning to walk again. I swear it took me 10 seconds to kill this guy. It was like an old western movie where they shoot at a guys feet to make him dance.

Krilekk

Banned
The Ryse vid was cinematic and everything, but does it do that slow motion shit all the time ? It just killed any desire I had to pick up the game.

LOL, that's what I just wanted to post. Ryse looks absolutely annoying in videos with the slowmo. I can however tell you that it's not a problem at all ingame. In the game it makes sense, watching a video it's just stupid. So don't make your decision based on that, the game is great.

Caayn

Crimson Dragon got an update. Looks like they renamed revival gems to regenerators but not sure what else has changed.
There must be more in that update. It weighs about 4GB. That's more than half the entire game.
Lowering the price of a wingman seems silly. At least I've never had any trouble with credits and I had tons of money near the end.

Edit:

Max: The Curse of Brotherhood is released it weighs 2.98GB and costs $14.99,-

id6CSERhPkF6a.gif

ic0yx7V2Jz8qa.gif

iR5WA98aZLGwM.gif

ibkGVn7ipAp8Zi.gif

jem0208

How does the switching to US store work? Do I just change my location or do I need a US address etc?

I'm thinking of downloading AC4 but the £55 price tag is more than a little too steep. £35 equivalent on the US strore is a lot nicer.

Caayn

How does the switching to US store work? Do I just change my location or do I need a US address etc?

I'm thinking of downloading AC4 but the £55 price tag is more than a little too steep. £35 equivalent on the US strore is a lot nicer.
Simply change your country to the US and let the console reboot. To add a credit card you'll need a billing address in the US. Simply enter a random address from a store and you're good to go. If you're having trouble with adding a credit card take a look in this thread.

jem0208

Simply change your country to the US and let the console reboot. To add a credit card you'll need a billing address in the US. Simply enter a random address from a store and you're good to go. If you're having trouble with adding a credit card take a look in this thread.

Could I just use my Paypal instead of a credit card?

Or would Paypal flag it up as a bad purchase?

Bgamer90

Banned
This is not surprising at all. XB1 had a bigger exclusive launch lineup. There's more to play on it at this moment in time. I haven't played on my PS4 in days. I'm just waiting until more games come out.

Interesting thread I made yesterday that kind of relates to that:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=736945

Was surprised at how many PS4 owners felt like they had nothing to play. People with Xbox Ones felt similar to the way I described in the OP though.

Caayn

Could I just use my Paypal instead of a credit card?

Or would Paypal flag it up as a bad purchase?
Don't know. I didn't get the option to add a paypal account on my One, and I can only add a credit card under "Payment & Billing" in the menu. You can try it via xbox.com(set the site to the US via the country option below) but I doubt that paypal will work.
Yeah I can't seem to buy from there you need an American credit card
Yes you can, just follow what I said above and you're good to go. I'm proof that it works. I live in The Netherlands have a Dutch credit card and I can buy stuff from the US marketplace without any trouble.

jem0208

Don't know. I didn't get the option to add a paypal account on my One, and I can only add a credit card under "Payment & Billing" in the menu. You can try it via xbox.com(set the site to the US via the country option below) but I doubt that paypal will work.
Yes you can, just follow what I said above and you're good to go. I'm proof that it works. I live in The Netherlands have a Dutch credit card and I can buy stuff from the US marketplace without any trouble.

I can add a Paypal on xbox.com.

I'm worried that Paypal might flag it up as a weird purchase though.

Edit: Apparently you can't add a Paypal account straight from the console, I think you can still use it though.

Lima

Also when putting in an US address use one from a state like Oregon so you don't have to pay Tax.

I just used the University of Oregon.

I really should not have bought my ps4. Originally my plan was to just go xb1 and wait until march to buy a ps4. Well, release day came and I was in line for a ps4 and returned and did the exact same thing for xb1. My problem is I have been playing on xb. Now this is where I start to see a couple of things and now understand what MS was gambling on.

Because I have my cable passing through the XB, I find it convenient to just hit a couple of buttons to get to a game on xb. What baffles me is how seemingly lazy this sounds to me. Why can't I throw another press of a button to change my video input (to get to ps4)? Well, the reality is, laziness is last on list when I think about it. Right now, it's the games. I've only played and thoroughly enjoyed ac4 in past two weeks. I got kz and nba. Beat kz and never went back. Alternatively, I am on my third dead rising playthrough. So yeah, partly the variety on xb and partly because it's on anyway when I watch TV which, lets face it, is an arbitrary feature on the XB1 since it's only acting as ass through.

Oh well. Whatevs. Good to be a gamer now overall.

Exactly the same. I only planned to get a PS4 next year, but fell for the hype. I played killzone for few days and haven't turned my ps4 on again since.

Meanwhile the Xbox is the first thing I turn on in the day and the last thing that turns off at night.

Every. Single. Day. (since launch)

I'm really contemplating selling my PS4 for now as I just have zero use for it.

To make matters worse, the fact that it kind of "kills" the totally integrated entertainment system that the XB1 creates where everything I want is just a button press, voice command or hand gesture away, it makes me feel even less driven to use it because its a totally segregated experience.

C Jones

Exactly the same. I only planned to get a PS4 next year, but fell for the hype. I played killzone for few days and haven't turned my ps4 on again since.

Meanwhile the Xbox is the first thing I turn on in the day and the last thing that turns off at night.

Every. Single. Day. (since launch)

I'm really contemplating selling my PS4 for now as I just have zero use for it.

To make matters worse, the fact that it kind of "kills" the totally integrated entertainment system that the XB1 creates where everything I want is just a button press, voice command or hand gesture away, it makes me feel even less driven to use it because its a totally segregated experience.
Exactly how I feel. Last gen I never got a PS3 after owning PS and PS2. I think there's a good chance I'm getting a PS4 this gen. But I'm already getting the feeling I'm going to feel "disconnected" when I use the PS4. I already feel that way when I boot up the 360 now.

Got my Xbox One yesterday.

Overall, great experience !

Even though i played most of the games released at my friend's house. I was amazed how some games looked very good on my tv. Colors feel more vivid on Xbox One than PS4. On PS4, games have that washed out look to them but have better resolution. Maybe that doesn't say much but games on Xbox One definitely look great !

Killer Instinct is amazing, haters can say whatever they want but i'm getting a grip on the game and it's mad mad fun !

Tried some Battlefield 4 and that also looks very good on my tv.

I didn't have any problems with crushed blacks, games look great on my tv as i said.

Downloads were extremely fast, i think they were even faster than my PS4. Downloaded Killer Instinct in 12 minutes, Kinect Sports Rivals in like 10 minutes... i was impressed !

My Kinect doesn't seem to work well all the time though, had some difficulties in Kinect Sports Rivals recognizing my gestures, especially in the menu...

Controller is great but i'm still not sure if it's better than the PS4 controller, triggers and sticks are definitely better, they feel so good !!! Bumpers on the other hand, RB and LB, suck big time though, many times i press with the tip of my fingers and it just doesn't feel right.

Overall, i would say the system is great, i'm enjoying the games more because there's variety compared to PS4. People did exaggerate how the XB1 is, there is way too many negativity towards the XB1 that is not deserved imo. Playing Killer Instinct alone felt so good ! Seriously, this game is underrated, it's probably one of the best remakes in fighting games i've ever seen, the music, the announcer, the combos are so fun to execute !

The system definitely needs to be refined, some sections are hard to find, navigating the menus with the controller needs to be more intuitive and easy, some things need to be faster also... but that's no big deal as the games play right and an update will come to rectify this.

Now, i'm probably gonna buy Forza 5 as i need my racing games fix asap ! Also looking forward to Ryse but i will not pay 60$ for the game as i heard it's short. Will wait for a deal...

Chitown B

The on screen one had some issues, but the controller one was near perfect. To ditch both of them was an incredibly stupid thing to do...

Had they at least kept the controller based one, it wouldn't be that much of an issue. Have the light turn red or become dimmer or something...to have absolutely no way of knowing if your battery low is inexcusable...

It just wasn't accurate, to me. Sometimes it would not stop flashing and it would say 50%. Sometimes I'd ignore the flashing and it would still keep on playing for hours. It was useless, to me. Mainly a way to toss out perfectly good batteries (or replace rechargeables for no reason).

Caayn

Download speeds are great. Xbox One is the first console to max out my internet connection.

As for the bumpers/triggers on the controller. I found myself a new position to hold it in and it's surprisingly more comfortable than other controller I've held.

Try holding the controller like this:
First part of your finger rests on the bumper and the rest of finger rests on the trigger. This way you'll never hit the blind spot of the bumpers and can easily use both the trigger and bumper at the same time without adjusting the position of your finger.
Apologies for the bad angle, it isn't easy taking a picture with a smarthphone at that angle while still holding the controller properly.
Gonna grab an xbone this weekend, was wondering how zoo tycoon is?
I liked the previous Zoo Tycoons but this one is not my cup of tea. There's a demo on the marketplace, I suggest you try that before buying the real thing.

oVerde

Banned

The slowdown is something you will want to happen many many times, the gameplay mechanic is pretty rewarding and it saves your ass too, you won't be mad with them when playing, I guarantee

Game dvr is definitely my favorite feature that really makes it feel next gen. Playing battlefield, taking down a heli on foot and being able to say "xbox record that" is just amazing.

Top Bottom