• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Guess who got an xbone finally :)

Downloading KI now. Peggle 2 (aka probable goty) will come after. So far I feel much less excited than when I got my PS3 in February 2007 but much mote reassured of my purchases. Im rarely impressed by games nowadays and spend more time zoning in on games I know I will like which is why I bought it over PS4. The worst that can happen is that I end up trading it in towards a PS4 a year from now. Big whoop. But in the meantime I am entering the Xone. KI is a step up over Super Rub A Dub.

kdash7

The kinect 2 is pathetic. Callibrated the damn thing a million times but voice commands works like 1 in 10 attempts. Only good thing is skype video conference.

Does anyone know where MS published patch notes for these updates to apps. Everytime I turn the system on 2-3 apps have been updated. The only way you even know is it push's them to front.

For instances Xbox music and video and upload studio just got updated.

Also anyone start to hear their fan out of no where? Its not annoying but since launch I heard nothing then this time I powered on I can hear it.

Edit...Nevermind. May have been updating no noise again. Whew :)

Bgamer90

Banned
Are the installs as bad as Kotaku reported they are?

Not familiar with recent Kotaku reports but if you are used to Xbox 360 install times, then you more than likely wouldn't be annoyed. The times are pretty much the same (which I feel is probably a big reason why the install times on the Xbox One vs. PS4 aren't being reported on that much).

This area is faster on the PS4 though (which is great considering how slow things were on the PS3 -- slower than the Xbox 360).

Xbox One seems to have an advantage when it comes to loading times for multiplatform games but this seems to be mostly only a 3-5 second difference which can be viewed by some (including me) as not that big of an advantage.

Chitown B

Tonight Netflix locked up and the audio freaked out - then the X1 shut down fully, out of nowhere. Was worried my system bricked, but I turned it on from cold boot just fine.

Weird.

Timu

The kinect 2 is pathetic. Callibrated the damn thing a million times but voice commands works like 1 in 10 attempts. Only good thing is skype video conference.
The voice commands work fine for me, hope yours can work perfectly though.

Amir0x

Banned

Shit that's bad. You have to be something wrong. Voice commands were failing about 30% for me in my day long test of the system, and I consider that far too high and basically unusable (I wouldn't even care if they didn't massacre the UI for controllers, but that's a separate topic)... but 1 in TEN attempts? Now that's just... you gotta be doing something wrong or you have some really weird accent or something...

C Jones

Hopefully they added more night vision ones

not really tho lol
Haha, they did add some that seemed useless. Like a kaleidoscope one - when I applied it to a Forza vid you couldn't even tell what you were looking at. Some of the other ones were ok though.

harSon

Banned
Shit that's bad. You have to be something wrong. Voice commands were failing about 30% for me in my day long test of the system, and I consider that far too high and basically unusable (I wouldn't even care if they didn't massacre the UI for controllers, but that's a separate topic)... but 1 in TEN attempts? Now that's just... you gotta be doing something wrong or you have some really weird accent or something...

That must suck. The XB1's Kinect has been accurate about 98% of the time, with the majority of the 2% coming from 'Xbox, on" when the XB1 is off. Otherwise it has been ridiculously accurate and swift for me...

That must suck. The XB1's Kinect has been accurate about 98% of the time, with the majority of the 2% coming from 'Xbox, on" when the XB1 is off. Otherwise it has been ridiculously accurate and swift for me...

Yea it works great. At worst as good as 360. I use the tv voice commands a lot for volume and mute. The controller is fine for the UI too.

Amir0x

Banned

My friend said he's got it to like 15% failure rate now (it was his system I was testing on), he said he owes most of that to correctly memorizing some of the excessively specific command phrases you sometimes have to use for some apps and the like.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
First impressions

- LB and RB require too much force
- There should really be a small gap or barrier between buttons and triggers to rest your fingers.
- KI took way too long to dl but this may have been on my end
-/+ dpad is better than 360 but still not good for fighting games
-/+ i do not like KI very much after two rounds. I will stick to MK and DOA :) but i think it will do well for itself and have a good communitg
-/+ kinect is still in its packaging. i will take it out when it gets a game.
+ sticks, size, and weight are better
+ peggle 2 is just as good as peggle. its almost like its more levels of peggle. probably the most groundbreaking sequel ever made
+ those fugly avatars are no longer prominently displayed. its all about the sexy gamerpics now.

Chitown B

First impressions

- There should really be a small gap or barrier between buttons and triggers to rest your fingers.
-/+ i do not like KI very much after two rounds. I will stick to MK and DOA :) but i think it will do well for itself and have a good communitg
+ peggle 2 is just as good as peggle. its almost like its more levels of peggle. probably the most groundbreaking sequel ever made
+ those fugly avatars are no longer prominently displayed. its all about the sexy gamerpics now.

you're missing half the experience.

Amir0x

Banned
without a compelling flagship title, he's not missing much. voice commands could be done with a simple headset, they only choose not to. Of course, if he really cares about lame shit like leaning or wants to play Fighters Within... and of course the UI is completely bastardized now for controllers so the alternative is even worse if you can't get a handle on the voice commands... then maybe by default he's missing the experience. And remember, some launch countries simple voice commands don't even work yet! :p

Edit: Oh I guess it also recognizes you and your profile when you show up, and others in the room. But still, the total accumulations of what it does is really only quaint conveniences at this stage, not until the games start being built with it in mind will people start missing out on a lot by avoiding it (provided they even like those sorts of games; Kinect 1.0 has been out for years and it's a wasteland of shite)

nbraun80

without a compelling flagship title, he's not missing much. voice commands could be done with a simple headset, they only choose not to. Of course, if he really cares about lame shit like leaning or wants to play Fighters Within... and of course the UI is completely bastardized now for controllers so the alternative is even worse if you can't get a handle on the voice commands... then maybe by default he's missing the experience :p

eh I don't rely on it but its nice for auto sign-in, getting home and saying Xbox on, and just getting go Netflix and such when laying down and saying volume up or down. I'll say again if you're having Kinect recognition troubles and calibrated it many times trying fully shutting down the system, ie not just saying Xbox turn off, actually pulling the power supply. It can help.

Amir0x

Banned
eh I don't rely on it but its nice for auto sign-in, getting home and saying Xbox on, and just getting go Netflix and such when laying down and saying volume up or down. I'll say again if you're having Kinect recognition troubles and calibrated it many times trying fully shutting down the system, ie not just saying Xbox turn off, actually pulling the power supply. It can help.

Check my edit, mention that.

Like I said, if these things work gold for people, what Kinect 2.0 is doing is basically just adding a few neat conveniences. At this stage. Nobody who is on the fence will be convinced by that, people buy these systems for games and it's a $100 premium due to it, so they must showcase that it is worth it for games. Thus far I think even the most ardent XBO supporter must admit that their handling of Kinect's early days in terms of application in games is pretty miserable or just outright gimmicky and nearly pointless. Outside of auto adjusting profiles, which really just saves a few seconds of ones time, it's not really helping games yet in any meaningful way. First significant flagship is in Spring 2014, so once that comes out if people are into what Kinect does, I suspect that is when it will start to play a more significant role in considerations.

nbraun80

Like I said, if these things work gold for people, what Kinect 2.0 is doing is basically just adding a few neat conveniences. At this stage. Nobody who is on the fence will be convinced by that, people buy these systems for games and it's a $100 premium due to it, so they must showcase that it is worth it for games. Thus far I think even the most ardent XBO supporter must admit that their handling of Kinect's early days in terms of application in games is pretty miserable or just outright gimmicky and nearly pointless. Outside of auto adjusting profiles, which really just saves a few seconds of ones time, it's not really helping games yet in any meaningful way. First significant flagship is in Spring 2014, so once that comes out if people are into what Kinect does, I suspect that is when it will start to play a more significant role in considerations.
just saw that :p. But yeah I agree with you, its not really a selling point at the current stage. But for people like me who were getting an Xbox anyways because of the franchises, controller, and such, its nice. Also Xbox record that, is pretty great too :)

Amir0x

Banned
just saw that :p. But yeah I agree with you, its not really a selling point at the current stage. But for people like me who were getting an Xbox anyways because of the franchises, controller, and such, its nice. Also Xbox record that, is pretty great too :)

Yeah, I understand it. My friend really likes it now that he has got it to 15%. My specific annoyance with XBO after my day evaluation was more that it seems they actively destroyed the UI for controllers just to be dicks, because seriously it's gotta be the worst UI in history if you're just using a controller. :p

Note: I know they likely didn't necessarily do it on purpose, it just feels that way because there are so many incompetent UI decisions that are clearly just dumb for controller users.

Klocker

nah...it's a game changer for me. controlling my entertainment system and entire entertainment experience including dash and games is addicting once you are used to it.

i find myself walking into any room with a tv and having a moment of disappointment when I realize I need to go back to the old fashioned way. snapping and jumping directly to a task or feature is cool as hell in a , I never want to go back kind of way

BigJoeGrizzly

Neo Member
The iFixit teardown showed that the network card inside the Xbone "supports" wireless AC protocol. Since its not actually supporting AC out of the box, does that mean Microsoft could release a firmware update that could eventually activate the capability?

Hawk269

I only have Forza and KI yet I'm finding myself using my X1 constantly. I didn't think I would like it but the HDMI in is great. I'm in the UK so I don't even have the One guide yet but I use the TV functionality all the time.

For example, I was watching Top Gear the other day and the Stig was about to lap a car, I decided it would be pretty cool to race the Stig in Forza so I snapped TV with the game and raced him. It's seriously cool.

Of all the time I have spent using it, only about half has been on games.

I highly recommend buying it, even if you only have a couple of games at launch.

You know, you are not the only one saying stuff like this. There are some people IRL and here on Gaf that have both the PS4 & Xbox One and it is those people that are constantly saying the same thing and that is that they use the Xbox One a lot more than the PS4. I own both systems and I maybe turned on the PS4 2 times a week since getting the system, whereas my Xbox One is on to watch TV, gaming etc.

I am not saying that the Xbox One is better or anything like that because I personally think the PS4 is a hell of a system, but for me and my family and friends, we all have just been using our Xbox One's a lot more and I even have games for both (Battlefield, Assassins Creed) and I prefer the Xbox One versions. Yeah, I know technically they may run at a higher resolution and a little less jaggies, but on my 4k Sony 65" set, the One's versions to me just look better and play better/smoother. Even my non-gaming (working on it) fiancée has noticed that the Xbox One games seem more colorful and smoother.

The good thing as a gamer is that we have two great systems and each have their own strengths. Out of all my games, hands down I would say Ryse: Son of Rome has been the most impressive games I have played in a very long time and to me it is the Next Gen Game of the Year. Forza is a close second place. What excites me a bit is that both Forza & Ryse were rushed to hit launch. If T10 and Crytek were to start fresh today, I can't imagine how impressive they would be.

Hawk269

I didnt mind installing things every so often, but getting a second bone up to date with about five full size games in one go (all digital download at 76mbps) felt like it took half a day.

Since you have a second Xbox One are using the same Gamertag and just redownloading the games you have on your main system? How is that working? Any Issues? My fiancée I believe bought a 2nd one for Xmas and I just want to make sure that everything will work with the same gamer tag as our primary console.

Thanks for any input!

Hawk269

I may be late on this or maybe I did not read about it. But did you all know that hitting the "X" Button anywhere in the UI or even when watching TV brings up the One Guide? I accidently hit the "X" button while navigating the UI and the One Guide popped up. I then went to other parts of the UI and even watched some TV and hitting the "X" Button gives you the One Guide!

First impressions

I hate to say it but you're using the controller wrong. Yes, I know that's stupid to say but for your own sake I recommend the following: rest your index fingers at the bottom of the triggers. They are slanted upwards and at the bottom there's a small ridge to get to RB/LB. When you want to hit the bumpers just move your finger over the ridge and press.

The bumpers now work as hinges and not buttons so it's not that they're too hard to press it's that they're not meant to be pressed with the fingertips. you use the other two thirds of your finger to press down on the outer parts of it.

If you follow these tips, you'll get used to and might even prefer the new style of LB/T and RB/T. I had to change the way I held the controller because it didn't work with the X1 controller and now that I've gotten used to it I don't really think about it anymore. :)

Krilekk

Banned

Then you're mumbling, you don't say the right commands or your Kinect is broken. It works flawlessly for me.

Hammer24

Banned
Thus far I think even the most ardent XBO supporter must admit that their handling of Kinect's early days in terms of application in games is pretty miserable or just outright gimmicky and nearly pointless. Outside of auto adjusting profiles, which really just saves a few seconds of ones time, it's not really helping games yet in any meaningful way.

So you haven´t tried Xbox Fitness, which showcases the abilities. It might not be for you, but its far from "pointless" and "gimmicky".

My specific annoyance with XBO after my day evaluation was more that it seems they actively destroyed the UI for controllers just to be dicks, because seriously it's gotta be the worst UI in history if you're just using a controller.

Yeah, just like manufacturers actively destroyed TV inputs just to be dicks, after they bundled them with remote controls. My TV must be the worst in history when you try to use it without a remote.

Like I said, if these things work gold for people, what Kinect 2.0 is doing is basically just adding a few neat conveniences. At this stage.

In the same way that last gen -> this gen is just adding a few neat extra graphics, yes I agree. Personally voice commands are a game changer in a way I never thought they'd be.

Have you done the "volume right up" and calibrate trick elsewhere in this thread? If so, have you used the "speech tutorial" app? If so, send your box back as it's faulty. There are enough people with a high success rate in this thread that suggests your experience is not representative.

even the most ardent XBO supporter must admit (it is) miserable or just outright gimmicky and nearly pointless.
I wouldn't and as you have doubtless read for yourself in this and other threads a lot of people think it is awesome for voice commands and not pointless/gimmicky. I can understand why you say that if yours isn't working properly though.

First significant flagship
... was Kinect Fitness for a lot of people, but I agree it's poor other than that in games.

Kibbles

Are you kidding me? I wait hours to download a huge ass 8GB demo for Dead Rising (also taking a big chunk of U-Verse Monthly Bandwidth) and it only allows you to play the demo 3 times? I ended up not even playing it 3 times anyway it feels pretty crappy. I guess I'm just used to playing a bunch of 60fps games lately and this just feels and looks last-gen, but I hope this isn't par for the course when it comes to next-gen demos.
First impressions

For me, the coolest thing about this system so far is that I can walk downstairs and say Xbox On and it turns on my TV and Xbox automatically and it recognizes me and signs me in. I love it lol

Amir0x

Banned
So you haven´t tried Xbox Fitness, which showcases the abilities. It might not be for you, but its far from "pointless" and "gimmicky".

I have not tried it, no. I did watch my friends girl try it out a bit, but it did not seem particularly unique from other fitness games/programs I've seen with motion tech (just more comprehensive and with more popular fitness program selections). But I do think if we're being honest here we would say that's not what's going to be the gaming hit on a hardcore gaming forum for most of us, and that there have been a million fitness programs and games before this one and it's not showing us anything markedly different than what we already know Kinect is capable of.

Do you legitimately think for most people right now that the fitness and the slight conveniences of voice commands (which, I must once again stress, should and could be done entirely with a headset) for some are spurning on the sales here?

I mean it doesn't surprise me some think this. People spent years trying to convince me Kinect 1.0 was some special game changer and in the end it was years of wasteland territory for games, and I always used my controller over the voice because I cannot stand things that are not 100% reliable. I have no desire in regression.

Of course, I am not trying to have a debate on whether or not it works for some or not, just trying to say if you want to convince most hardcore gamers that Kinect 2.0 is worth the added value, particularly after we all experienced the embarrassment that was the first Kinect's game library, then it's going to require a bit more before anyone can legitimately claim people are missing out. The wasteland for compelling Kinect flagship gaming software is way worse than it even was for Wii U, frankly. At least Wii U launched with a few well regarded and reviewed software that made proper use of its unique functionality. According to even your guys metric, they launched with... quaint voice commands (which I must stress don't even work right or at all in some launch countries) that save a few seconds here and there and a fitness program. I mean, If that is the metric for success and meeting that value, then I would simply say the bar wasn't very high for you guys to begin with. It's not a very interesting discussion in such a case, because any thing would be a success in such eyes.

Yeah, just like manufacturers actively destroyed TV inputs just to be dicks, after they bundled them with remote controls. My TV must be the worst in history when you try to use it without a remote.

I can see conversational nuance is not your strong suite here. ;)

As I said, I am pretty sure they didn't actually do it to be dicks. But that's just the end result of how it feels. Your analogy is absurd because the 360 UI and PS4 UI and most other UI actually works wonderfully for controllers most of the time. The Xbox One UI for controllers is actively worse than pretty much any other major system's UI for that purpose. They didn't baseline, they actively regressed if you are a controller user. Your TV analogy would only work if after they released the remote control, they then set about changing the way the buttons on the front of a TV work so that it's a completely unintuitive and confusing system that works significantly worse than when buttons did before remotes were invented. In actuality, just like remote controls have improved navigating for TVs, the button system without a remote didn't regress. In most cases, that itself also improved alongside TV remotes. TV remotes are still preferable, of course, but nothing regressed.

Is there some reason why the UI had to be designed to function worse than it did for 360 and PS3 and PS4 and Wii U? Did Kinect cause some design malfunction that I don't know about? Shit, they could have a UI that functions as well as 360 did with a controller and still have the exact same improvement in Kinect voice functionality. So, do you have an answer as to why it got worse?

jem0208

without a compelling flagship title, he's not missing much. voice commands could be done with a simple headset, they only choose not to. Of course, if he really cares about lame shit like leaning or wants to play Fighters Within... and of course the UI is completely bastardized now for controllers so the alternative is even worse if you can't get a handle on the voice commands... then maybe by default he's missing the experience. And remember, some launch countries simple voice commands don't even work yet! :p

Edit: Oh I guess it also recognizes you and your profile when you show up, and others in the room. But still, the total accumulations of what it does is really only quaint conveniences at this stage, not until the games start being built with it in mind will people start missing out on a lot by avoiding it (provided they even like those sorts of games; Kinect 1.0 has been out for years and it's a wasteland of shite)

Well that's a load of bullshit. The UI is absolutely fine with the controller, it just takes some getting used to because it works very differently to the 360's.

Also it seems voice commands are a really weird issue. Mine work perfectly fine 9/10 times. And most of the time it doesn't work because I say the command completely wrong or mumble loads.

He is clearly not doing it correctly and you probably aren't either if about 30% of yours don't work.

Caayn

Wow. That's bad, did you call MS support? Even for me it works above the 95% and I've got a thick dutch accent.
and of course the UI is completely bastardized now for controllers so the alternative is even worse if you can't get a handle on the voice commands
Your opinion. I think it works fine with a controller. It does have a learning curve, which you and I probably agree on is something that an UI shouldn't really have.
Thus far I think even the most ardent XBO supporter must admit that their handling of Kinect's early days in terms of application in games is pretty miserable or just outright gimmicky and nearly pointless. Outside of auto adjusting profiles, which really just saves a few seconds of ones time, it's not really helping games yet in any meaningful way.
Yeah no. You may call it gimmicks I call it features. All the little things Kinect does/allows are really fun and make the extra price totally worth it for me. In DR3 it allows you to use your controller as a Sixaxis to fend of a zombie that's stuck on you. It works neat and doesn't feel out of place. In Ryse saying(more screaming when I'm caught up in the moment) "Fire Volley" in a battle feels very satisfying(yeah yeah I know headset headset). The slight leaning in Forza 5 feels good and allows you to peek further into the corner without losing focusing of your steering angle. Playing Kinect Sports Rivals Preseasons showcases how accurate the new Kinect is, it's a shame that it currently is only one track otherwise I'd play it a lot more.
Together all these little things make a great experience and give me the feeling that the extra money for Kinect in the box is justified.

So please don't start creating hyperboles such as this one, it will only make you look like a fool.
First impressions

Just as John Caboose said try holding the controller slightly different. I hold it like this and it rests perfectly in my hands and directly gives me the ability to push the bumpers/triggers without any effort and both at the same time. This also guarantees that I never accidentally hit the blind spot of the bumpers. (I get that this isn't optimal for all genres/players but for me it works wonders)
WP_20131220_001_zps46145c5c.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
Well that's a load of bullshit. The UI is absolutely fine with the controller, it just takes some getting used to because it works very differently to the 360's.

It's not bullshit at all. If you are saying it's bullshit, you're seriously not being objective. There is a list that people have put together from hardcore fans that analyze the entire UI, and there are so many ways it has regressed versus what we had before for controller support it's literally insane.

This is you either being intentionally non-critical to justify or defend your purchase or simply choosing to ignore the endless mountains of ways in which this UI is a load of complete garbage for navigation with a controller. It just fucking is dude.

Caayn said:
So please don't start creating hyperboles such as this one, it only make you look like a fool.

As I said, if this bare effort is a 'success' for you guys, then none of these opinions are particularly valuable - they could have obviously done virtually anything and been a success. They launched with almost no compelling Kinect software - even if we GIVE you fitness - and basically have a glorified voice thing that either doesn't work in all launch territories, fails to work for many gamers correctly and has its own issues.

Seriously, with standards that low, what's the point in debating? You'll be happy with anything. Which I guess should be good for you guys. It's just not very interesting for critical analysis.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
It's not bullshit at all. If you are saying it's bullshit, you're seriously not being objective. There is a list that people have put together from hardcore fans that analyze the entire UI, and there are so many ways it has regressed versus what we had before for controller support it's literally insane.

This is you either being intentionally non-critical to justify or defend your purchase or simply choosing to ignore the endless mountains of ways in which this UI is a load of complete garbage for navigation with a controller. It just fucking is dude.

Why can't there just be one thread for people to come and be happy and positive with their XB1 purchase without getting abuse.

Amir0x

Banned
Why can't there just be one thread for people to come and be happy and positive with their XB1 purchase without getting abuse.

Fucking christ. Again, you do not exist in a rainbow, lolipop and fairy dust world. We are having a discussing about genuine issues that LEGIONS of gamers have complained about, whether you personally have those issues or not. There is no 'haven' from that critical analysis, any positive discussion is allowed in equal measure to negative. I have been positive about the things i love - like Xbox One's superior launch offerings and its positive 2014 look in games - and negative about the things I don't. I would also recommend detaching yourself emotionally from videogame purchases you make: critiquing a piece of technology is not the same as making a statement about you.

The issues with the UI navigation for controllers are demonstrable and have been itemized, and even Nelson replied they've seen them and are taking these things seriously and we'll likely see tons of it fixed in future updates.

If you cannot take that, then you obviously do not want a 'discussion' forum. You want a fanboy forum.

sinnergy

As I said, if this bare effort is a 'success' for you guys, then none of these opinions are particularly valuable - they could have obviously done virtually anything and been a success. They launched with almost no compelling Kinect software - even if we GIVE you fitness - and basically have a glorified voice thing that either doesn't work in all launch territories, fails to work for many gamers correctly and has its own issues.

Seriously, with standards that low, what's the point in debating? You'll be happy with anything. Which I guess should be good for you guys. It's just not very interesting for critical analysis.

Right.. except it's not. I navigate just fine. That there are problems sure, but for the main part it does the job. They did make some weird decisions.

As Interaction Designer I am pretty critical about ui's and this one does the job.

It's also your opinion, which you are entitled to, but to state it as a fact that it's crap.. come on.

Top Bottom