• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
So this is how I have my consoles set up as of now, had it this way for a while. I've been a little worried about if this is damaging my Xbox One or not. I'm not that concerned if my PS4 over-heats/gets damaged from this (I have a warranty for the PS4, and it doesn't seem to be the one under stress/nor getting much heat from the vents), but I'm worried about my Xbox One's disc drive being under stress, or if I'm blocking any necessary vents. From what I've seen, my Xbox One hasn't been extra hot or anything lately, so it doesn't seem to be hurting anything, but I'm just wondering if anyone has tried stacking systems like this, and how it worked for them.

My room is really small, and unless I reorganize my room, it isn't possible to give them the space they need. :/ I do plan on re-organizing my EVENTUALLY, but as of know this is the only place they can go without obstructing my entrance into the room, and without being on the floor. As of now, whenever I buy my Wii U my plan is too stack it ontop of the PS4 haha.

Dude stacking them isn't an issue but you have to have space behind them. like... have to. Just pull the whole stack forward a bit so they line up with the front of your dresser/tv stand whatever that thing is and get a lil air behind them bad boys!

no good meng. recipe for bads. get a Dyson fan while your at it!!

simples

Banned
So this is how I have my consoles set up as of now, had it this way for a while. I've been a little worried about if this is damaging my Xbox One or not. I'm not that concerned if my PS4 over-heats/gets damaged from this (I have a warranty for the PS4, and it doesn't seem to be the one under stress/nor getting much heat from the vents), but I'm worried about my Xbox One's disc drive being under stress, or if I'm blocking any necessary vents. From what I've seen, my Xbox One hasn't been extra hot or anything lately, so it doesn't seem to be hurting anything, but I'm just wondering if anyone has tried stacking systems like this, and how it worked for them.

My room is really small, and unless I reorganize my room, it isn't possible to give them the space they need. :/ I do plan on re-organizing my EVENTUALLY, but as of know this is the only place they can go without obstructing my entrance into the room, and without being on the floor. As of now, whenever I buy my Wii U my plan is too stack it ontop of the PS4 haha.
wow that's terrible

the bone has a fan on top you're blocking and even the ps4 has fans on the sides and back you're blocking. not to mention heat transferring if both are on

RulkezX

Does this thing download patches while in stand by or just system updates ?

I've left it in standby this morning hoping when I turn it on later the ridiculous 5GB Dead Rising 3 patch will have downloaded.

Bsigg12

I've left it in standby this morning hoping when I turn it on later the ridiculous 5GB Dead Rising 3 patch will have downloaded.

Yes. DR3 already updated for me in the background. If you have a digital copy it'll automatically go through and install automatically. If it's a disc, you'll have to put the disc in to start the install process. At least that's what I've noticed with my digital copy of DR3 and physical copy of Ryse.

Bgamer90

Banned

It does; go to settings and make sure "automatically download updates" is checked.

Wow.. Go to your local hardware store or even Walmart and buy a shelf with three levels for goodness sake. Your room being small has very little to do with this, you need to buy a small shelf and set them up separately on the different levels.

def sim

Yeah, speedy, time to looks at some furniture maybe. It doesn't have to be anything big, just something to hold both systems in their own space. Also, I don't know, that's just kind of a bummy look. :(

Anyway, I'll get into Max later in the morning. I bought it Friday, but didn't get around to it. I hope it's good!

Redshirt

Banned
Anyone have games unpause?

Playing Call of Duty: Ghosts and a couple times I have paused the game and it will unpause itself.

Yeah, I've had it happen to me a few times with Cod. There's been threads about it on the Xbox forums as well.

I don't think I've had any other game do it, though.

Anion

I wouldn't worry about the disk drive or the console if you plan on getting it organized within the next month. Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure your blocking a fan on the (top of the) Xbox. That's being said, I think the top is the exhast and the sides of the Xbox are the intake. (I don't know for sure and I tried to search for a schematic or something last week when I was installing a fan in my cabinet)

Marco1

As much as I hated kinect on the 360, I find myself using it so much on the one.
I love turning on and off the console and also exiting a game using it.
I have noticed it does get really warm to touch though.
My wife's first comment this morning was what is that ridiculous thing on top of the TV?
Loving DR3, Ryse and F3. They look sooooo good and I also love my PS4 just as much.
Not to get a wiiu in the new year.

Lima

I wouldn't worry about the disk drive or the console if you plan on getting it organized within the next month. Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure your blocking a fan on the (top of the) Xbox. That's being said, I think the top is the exhast and the sides of the Xbox are the intake. (I don't know for sure and I tried to search for a schematic or something last week when I was installing a fan in my cabinet)

It only pushes out the heat through the top grills. The side is fully closed. Actually the full thing is covered with a metal case under the plastic. The only opening is the fan on top.

Caayn

Yeah I had problems with ordering from Microsoft.DE, so I ordered one from Amazon.DE also. Did you get your order in time?
So far so good. Ordered it last Tuesday there with a scheduled delivery date for the first week of the new year. Got an update on Wednesday that I can expect it to be delivered next week :D
My own Xbox One comes from Amazon UK and that was nicely delivered on the release day.
It only pushes out the heat through the top grills. The side is fully closed. Actually the full thing is covered with a metal case under the plastic. The only opening is the fan on top.
It definitely uses the side grills for intake. So I wouldn't block those ;)
t1GJ1RXuMmxj4YMZ.huge

Sanic

Is there a reason game patches are so stupidly large? This is awful compared to the the 360 system.

This is really bugging me too. On the 360, they were explicitly limited to a rather small size for a long time. That limit obviously doesn't exist anymore, but I can't begin to understand why either DR3 or the patching system was built in such a way that a 5GB download is required for a patch that (presumably) has no new content.

Maybe their tooling system is really archaic, where every change requires them to re-bake assets.

I'd love to know the reason too, but then I remember how bad patching on the PS3 was and still is and it's pretty clear to me that since MS removed restrictions, developers simply don't care to make their patches smaller as there's now no requirement to do so...

As I recall, there was some anger towards MS for having a restriction on patches being a certain size. It was great for gamers as it meant you didn't have to sit around waiting for a patch to download/install, but a pain for developers apparently...

Krilekk

Banned
*sigh* 360: Customers complaining that patches have to be small and devs can't add additional content.

Microsoft removes said restriction: X1: Customers complaining that patches are big.

I think it's pretty obvious that the latest patch for DR3 already includes assets for the first two DLCs, they even added achievements for those. The real question here is why you have to download those assets if you don't plan to buy the DLC.

Personally I think it's great that there are no longer any size restrictions - though that might change when the HDD is full for the first time.

theytookourjobz

*sigh* 360: Customers complaining that patches have to be small and devs can't add additional content.

Microsoft removes said restriction: X1: Customers complaining that patches are big.

I think it's pretty obvious that the latest patch for DR3 already includes assets for the first two DLCs, they even added achievements for those. The real question here is why you have to download those assets if you don't plan to buy the DLC.

Personally I think it's great that there are no longer any size restrictions - though that might change when the HDD is full for the first time.

Yeah. People wanted a more open platform away from the strict regulations MS had in place on the 360 and it looks like they got it. No demos and huge patches. Not sure which way is better.

I played one for the first time yesterday, loved Killer Instinct as I expected to. I'm not a fan of the new controller at all. It feel's tiny for some reason and the stick was horrible for pulling off DP motions. I plan on picking one up in the future after all the KI dlc is out though and with a TE stick.

LNBL

So far so good. Ordered it last Tuesday there with a scheduled delivery date for the first week of the new year. Got an update on Wednesday that I can expect it to be delivered next week :D

Ah really? The order status tells me it will be delivered either the 27th or 28th of december, hope that is the right one.

Montresor

If I had these ratings for Call of Duty games, would I like Ghosts on XB1? Keep in mind these ratings are only for single player and spec ops, and I avoid multiplayer and zombies.

MW1: 5/5
MW2: 5/5
Black Ops: 3/5
MW3: 3/5
Black Ops 2: 1/5

Bgamer90

Banned
This is really bugging me too. On the 360, they were explicitly limited to a rather small size for a long time. That limit obviously doesn't exist anymore, but I can't begin to understand why either DR3 or the patching system was built in such a way that a 5GB download is required for a patch that (presumably) has no new content.

MS is definitely more lenient with this now in comparison to how they were during the life of the Xbox 360. They just removed the "two patch limit" about six months ago; iirc, devs had to pay money if they wanted another patch past the first two for the majority of the 360's life. That isn't the case with the Xbox One.

Plus the patches are large in size since the games overall are/will be larger in size. You also at the same time though had many games that were rushed to meet launch (which is why I don't understand how some are determining a console's power as a whole on these launch titles, but that's a whole different topic).

Bgamer90

Banned
If I had these ratings for Call of Duty games, would I like Ghosts on XB1? Keep in mind these ratings are only for single player and spec ops, and I avoid multiplayer and zombies.

I haven't been interested in COD for almost 3 years now, but based on your ratings and based on what I hear from people who are still into the series, I would say probably a 2/5.

I heard the single player is super generic.

nbraun80

id rank them pretty much the same and id say its about on par with mw3. Maps are decent, a lot better than BO2, I hated those. Id say the maps are bigger as well, but still the crappy spawn system COD is known for. Can't comment on the SP, haven't played a COD SP since mw3.

Jeez, (literally) just started the first cutscene for Ryse, that took a ridiculously long time to install. You'd think one of the first things they'd install during the process would be the beginning of the game, but I had to sit there in the game menu while the meter slowly creeped on.

Ryse, ready to go, unless you want to start a new game.

Al13n

Neo Member
Guys, help me out here. Looking to buy a new game and I'm torn between AC4 and DR3. I think I'll enjoy both games, so I'm having a hard time choosing.

Which one would you recommend?

Redshirt

Banned
I'd say DR3.

AC4 is a good game, but I'm not motivated to play it the way I am DR3.

I've beaten it, beaten it on Nightmare, played it co-op, 1000/1000th it, just did the Xmas challenge and am still loving it.

besiktas1

Is there anyway to get tvcatchup or similar websites for live free view using internet explorer?

This is also a covert hurry up with the apps. I need my iPlayer and sky go real bad.

Is there anyway to get tvcatchup or similar websites for live free view using internet explorer?

This is also a covert hurry up with the apps. I need my iPlayer and sky go real bad.

Bit expensive on electricity but I put SkyGo up on my 360 and feed it into Xbox One I want to snap it (depends if you still have a 360 though).

Jsheldon

Has anyone had any issues with their controllers???

My day one controller has the top "X" home button stuck in the compressed position.

I couldn't verify that something was actually wrong until buying a second controller, that has a functioning home/X button.

Microsoft support is sending me a label, but I am now stuck paying one way shipping costs to the service centre?

Is this worth escalating? Any recommendations for trying to get some freebie for the hassle?

It also probably has to do with all games being fully installed and running of the hard drive. Because of that, they can issue patches that simply replace the correct portions of the game on the hard drive instead of the 360 where the game is running of a disc and a small patch on the hard drive runs things differently than on the disc.

That's probably one of the contributing factors to patches being larger (along with the obvious factors).
I'm happy they got BF4 working correctly because it is a freaking blast.
It's really a fantastic game, did crash on me once last night though.

nbraun80

I'm happy they got BF4 working correctly because it is a freaking blast.

Agreed. This is my first BF game that I bought a few days ago and I'm having fun so far with not too many problems. I gotta stay out of conquest though, wrecks my k/d and I can't fly a copter or jet for the life of me. Ha. Not sure why the controls have to be made that complicated. Ive made two sniper compilation videos so far, will probably upload and post them here later tonight. :)

Bsigg12

Finally got the achievement in Ryse for killing 25 people without getting hit. That took some patience :s

Yea. I did mine in a solo gladiator match during one of the tip the cauldron to burn the bunker sections. Once you get so far enemies die in two hits so I just hung out and killed til I got it.

Top Bottom