• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Why doesn't "xbox on" work on my console?

I find that it helps to say it clearly and with a slight pause between Xbox and On. It's still less reliable than other voice commands but it works the majority of the time doing it that way.

Also, obviously make sure you set the Xbox to go to standby mode instead of shutting down.

So how do you get the system to install games while it's off? I have it set to instant-on and it still doesn't install while it's off. Hell, I don't know if there is a standby mode on it.

Another thing as to why I am not liking Kinect is the fact that it barely recognizes me when it powers on and when I say "Xbox on" or "Xbox turn on", it doesn't work the first, second or third time. That is really annoying. I want to like it, but dam it's making it difficult.

Bsigg12

So how do you get the system to install games while it's off? I have it set to instant-on and it still doesn't install while it's off. Hell, I don't know if there is a standby mode on it.

Another thing as to why I am not liking Kinect is the fact that it barely recognizes me when it powers on and when I say "Xbox on" or "Xbox turn on", it doesn't work the first, second or third time. That is really annoying. I want to like it, but dam it's making it difficult.

Oddly no install in standby. It kinda sucks. How loud was the volume when you calibrated the Kinect? Make sure you enunciate like crazy when saying "Xbox. On".

rjcc

For you XB1 owners, do you feel the Kinect is necessary or should it be optional? I can't convince myself to purchase a XB1 because of the previous Kinect. I never used it outside of one game that I didn't play much.

either buy the system or don't, it's $500. You do't have to use kinect if you don't want to.

The top 25 reasons not to buy an Xbox One right have nothing to do with kinect. (1 - 15 are that the best gaming is still on ps3/xbox 360)

rjcc

Oddly no install in standby. It kinda sucks. How loud was the volume when you calibrated the Kinect? Make sure you enunciate like crazy when saying "Xbox. On".

I do wish it had the PS4's auto update. I thought I would find that annoying, but having to wait for patches to install is annoying, and the voice control doesn't work on the update screen, which is TRULY annoying. it seems like every time there's a sudden update in an entertainment app (xbox music last night) it's when I left my controller downstairs with the other XB1, or it's across the room and seriously, fuck getting up to reach for the remote.

I've never seen the point of using it in any game I've played. In Kinect sports rivals, I just wish I could use the controller instead. Its much harder to control and it isnt fun at all

Kinect should be an add on, not included with the system.
If xbox one was just a pure gaming experience you would be right. But it isn't that is why it is useful. Play Ryse and you will see how helpful kinect is.

StUnNeR H2K

Saw this at a Target in Oklahoma City today...

20131222_182645657_iOS.jpg

If xbox one was just a pure gaming experience you would be right. But it isn't that is why it is useful. Play Ryse and you will see how helpful kinect is.

well yeah, that was my point. There's no point in Kinect for gaming purposes

In Ryse, its only useful because the devs decided to make it a pain to command the archers etc through the controller.

I've never seen the point of using it in any game I've played. In Kinect sports rivals, I just wish I could use the controller instead. Its much harder to control and it isnt fun at all

I completely disagree with you that Kinect in games is a PoS.

Kinect sports rivals works perfectly well for me and I routinely spend silly amounts of time messing with the head tracking in jets playing BF4 as shown in the video below.

http://sdrv.ms/1kxnYwH.

Fitness games also work well.

I've not been so successful with the head tracking in Forza though. Need to figure out the sweet spot.

Dubz

PS4/X1 owner here. I have to say that the Kinect is a lot more usefull than I thought it was going to be. I'm also a huge fan of Smartglass.

I don't know if anyone here has played NFS Rivals without Kinect, but I'm wondering how you can play this game without the voice commands? Jumping into the map to set destination points or taking your hands off the controls to use the d-pad menu seems like it would make the game much harder to play.

I can't even imagine trying to play NFS Rivals without voice support, the menus are way too slow and cumbersome without the instant voice support.

Charcoal

Got my first hands-on experience at my girlfriend's parent's house today. The UI seemed cluttered, and honestly, more complicated than it needs to be.

This might sound ridiculous, but are there any good walkthrough type videos of how it works?

Varg

Banned
PS4/X1 owner here. I have to say that the Kinect is a lot more usefull than I thought it was going to be. I'm also a huge fan of Smartglass.

Yeah same here. The kinect sports demo worked really good and the voice controls are working when I use then, but I still find myself just pressing the buttons a lot to get where i want to go.

Kibbles

I don't get why the friends list is so troublesome. I should be able to just press guide and go to ny friends list quickly during the game like with 360.

simples

Banned
I don't get why the friends list is so troublesome. I should be able to just press guide and go to ny friends list quickly during the game like with 360.
do xbox snap activity > favorites. that snaps your favorite list

it's a temp fix of a shitty situation

Was the UI that complicated to you?

Similar to Microsoft's Windows RT problem, having something be named and look basically exactly like something that existed before, but not actually function the same is a good way to cause confusion.

People will see the metro tile layout from 360 and expect it to work similarly due to the similar base design language, but it doesn't at all.

My biggest tip for controller navigation is to learn what the menu button (the "start" button) does. Both when highlighting an app in the UI, and when inside an app.

There's often a lot of functionality or options hidden in the menu button. Same goes for the "view/select" button too.

For the bolded, didn't they say they would allow controller integration with those mini games? I can't even play it because apparently there's not enough space..

I personally hate the Kinect for motion gestures/controls, but the voice integration is great.

For the bolded, didn't they say they would allow controller integration with those mini games? I can't even play it because apparently there's not enough space..

I personally hate the Kinect for motion gestures/controls, but the voice integration is great.

Is your Kinect on top of your TV or on a table under/in front of it?

I have an XB1 in a room with only about five feet of floor space in front of it (two feet taken up by a desk) and there's enough space for me and my nephew to place two player.

Putting the Kinect on top of the TV is the only way I could have got it working with that amount of space.

Is your Kinect on top of your TV or on a table under/in front of it?

I have an XB1 in a room with only about five feet of floor space in front of it (two feet taken up by a desk) and there's enough space for me and my nephew to place two player.

Putting the Kinect on top of the TV is the only way I could have got it working with that amount of space.

It's to the side of it on my desk, at an angle that should be more than enough space, but it doesn't read it properly. I can get it to register and read some things around the menus, but as soon as the game's about to start it says it's unable to begin.

I don't have that screw thing on my TV to lock it in :'[

Was just reading that halo spartan assault has the option to purchase weapons. The interview said you can work towards them, but i wonder how much you have to grind. This fucking micro transaction trend microsoft is on is starting to piss me off.

Caayn

Got my first hands-on experience at my girlfriend's parent's house today. The UI seemed cluttered, and honestly, more complicated than it needs to be.

This might sound ridiculous, but are there any good walkthrough type videos of how it works?
On the dashboard home screen push the menu button and select Help. Go to "How-to videos & tutorials".
So does Penello even post on GAF anymore? I haven't been following closely.
I don't think he has posted in a while. Can't really blame him. Every time he posts there's a group that directly starts a witch hunt against him and dissect every word in his posts to search for every possible meaning that they can use against him.
I agree that straight out lying is a no-go. But some are overreacting about his posts.

Would be cool if he just appeared out of nowhere in this OT.
Was just reading that halo spartan assault has the option to purchase weapons. The interview said you can work towards them, but i wonder how much you have to grind. This fucking micro transaction trend microsoft is on is starting to piss me off.
If it's anything like the W8/WP8 versions it isn't really a problem. You earn XP for every mission that you've played and you can use that for stronger weapons and AAs. Every mission is easily beatable with the standard weapons/AA you get. After playing just one mission you should already have enough XP to buy a weapon/AA for the next mission and that is without taking score-multipliers into account.

Rat Salad

Banned

Actually its Sony who started this micro transaction horseshit. GT5 Prologue would be the cancer that lead to all this. Releasing a shell of a game for almost full price while working on the complete version had wrongfully set the bar for industry greed that we see today. But I agree all of this needs to stop before it gets even worse.

Sobriquet

Hmmm. I don't find it cluttered or complicated.

You start on the home screen, which is all of your recent activity. Bottom right is always whatever is in your disc drive.

Left bumper takes you to your pins. You can pin pretty much anything.

Right bumper takes you to the store (separated by games, movies/tv, music, and apps).

The Menu button basically works like right-click on a mouse. Anything in particular you were having problems with?

def sim

For you XB1 owners, do you feel the Kinect is necessary or should it be optional? I can't convince myself to purchase a XB1 because of the previous Kinect. I never used it outside of one game that I didn't play much.

The Kinect works perfectly fine for me, but it's not something I necessarily want. Right now it's essential as a UI tool, but I doubt that will be the case moving forward. MS values the new Kinect at $149.99 through their support site; a version without at a lower price than the PS4 might be preferable to many.

The smartglass stuff is what's surprising me the most. It makes using snapped apps a bit more intuitive and can emulate the PS4 controller features well. I'd be far more interested in a smartglass app that is integrated into games and has full control of the Xbox OS than the kinect, honestly. I suppose we can have both, but only if they can drop the price quickly. All this is irrelevant to me since I already own one, whatevs.

Anyway, Max is fun you guys.

Dunlop

Every time he posts there's a group that directly start a witch hunt against him and dissect every word in his posts to search for every possible meaning that they can use against him.

Pretty much this, there is a real lack of respect as certain posters are trying to make a name for themselves or something.

I can't really see why anyone "in the business" would want to post on this site anymore, the risks of bad PR of your words being used against you by far outweigh any positives

I don't remember this place being like that years ago., could just be the explosion of social media that makes it seem worse

eso76

So, if I somehow get disconnected while downloading something:

A) The system won't attempt to reconnect.

B) Upon manually reconnecting, the system won't resume download automatically.

C) Finally, i'm not given the option to just resume whatever it was. I'm just told 'installation was stopped' and I have to go back to the store, find whatever it was I was downloading, and queue again.

Is there an option I'm missing, or a valid reason why the xbone (and 360) won't try to reconnect and resume downloads ???

Sucks queuing a 7GB demo and turning the console on hours later, only to find the download stopped mere seconds after putting the console in stand by at 2%...

Marco1

Just gone to bed after using my xbone with forza5 and crimson dragon.
What an utterly frustrating and under-whelmed experience. The hand gestures and push forward to select is awful. Trying to reach out and grab the dashboard to scroll is slow and etc. I can't be bothered finishing this but all I can say is kinect2 is going back in the box and I hope for a system update that allows auto sign-in without kinect.
Also Xbox off command would not work and I had to use the controller home button.

Rat Salad

Banned
I just tried Dead Rising 3's demo. Umm,WTF? I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope other 3rd parties dont follow Capcom's lead by making their game demos playable for only a few tries. What kind of practice is this! Fuck You Capcom. Not buying the game now. Fuck off.

m23

What an utterly frustrating and under-whelmed experience. The hand gestures and push forward to select is awful. Trying to reach out and grab the dashboard to scroll is slow and etc. I can't be bothered finishing this but all I can say is kinect2 is going back in the box and I hope for a system update that allows auto sign-in without kinect.
Also Xbox off command would not work and I had to use the controller home button.

Use voice, not motion controls.

PARANO1A

*sigh* 360: Customers complaining that patches have to be small and devs can't add additional content.

Microsoft removes said restriction: X1: Customers complaining that patches are big.

I think it's pretty obvious that the latest patch for DR3 already includes assets for the first two DLCs, they even added achievements for those. The real question here is why you have to download those assets if you don't plan to buy the DLC.

Personally I think it's great that there are no longer any size restrictions - though that might change when the HDD is full for the first time.

I've had my X1 for a month and have downloaded a 6gb patch for Forza, a 5gb patch for DR3 and a 3gb patch for KI. This is not a good thing. Devs clearly aren't interested in optimizing in ways which benefit the consumer such as small, intelligent patching, and massive install sizes that aren't warranted.

Game sizes similarly are way too big for what they are. 3gb for Max: Brotherhood is embarrassing, especially compared to early life XBLA gems.

Give me the 360 tech any day of the week, personally. Hope MS get on this and sort it out. This politic / freedom wank is pointless when as a gamer I spend as much time watching progress bars as I do playing.

Rat Salad

Banned
Is there a way to mute other players online? Not liking that some people think their DJs by constantly playing their home stereos at loud levels while were all waiting for matches to begin. Its annoying.

eso76

I just tried Dead Rising 3's demo. Umm,WTF? I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope other 3rd parties dont follow Capcom's lead by making their game demos playable for only a few tries. What kind of practice is this! Fuck You Capcom. Not buying the game now. Fuck off.

Create more users profile on your xbone=profit.

Hawk269

Don't use motion controls. Use voice controls instead. I have yet to have any real issues with my Kinect. It has been working pretty good for me, but I only use voice, not motion.

For me and my family, I don't think we would enjoy the system without the Kinect now. It is just way too simple now. Get home from a long day at work, change my clothes, get something to drink, sit on the sofa, say "Xbox On", it turns on my TV, Receiver and the Xbox. Then say "Xbox Watch TV", the tell it what channel and I am done. No need for controllers or other devices. It just works!

It's to the side of it on my desk, at an angle that should be more than enough space, but it doesn't read it properly. I can get it to register and read some things around the menus, but as soon as the game's about to start it says it's unable to begin.

I don't have that screw thing on my TV to lock it in :'[

If you have Kinect to the rear of your desk and it can't see your floor then it'll give you problems. Especially for Kinect Sports Rivals. Don't know why but it does.

You should find a way to get it high up so that it can even see a small amount of your floor.

And don't be afraid to use some ingenuity :)

A piece of foam as a base and a metal coat hanger running through the foam and holes in my TV wall mount is the sturdiest Kinect mount I could have asked for lol.

Yep. Whoever thought that up needs to be strangled. Had to leave the house unexpectedly the first time I booted up the demo. When I came back home....."you have 1 play left".

Great, thanks......

When you're opening something, just push forward and move back like you're honking at somebody idling at a stoplight. Works well, but it takes a little practice to be comfortable. You don't need to reach forward to grab and scroll, though. Just clench and drag.

Or just use voice and it will be even faster.

Top Bottom