• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

nbraun80

Just gone to bed after using my xbone with forza5 and crimson dragon.
What an utterly frustrating and under-whelmed experience. The hand gestures and push forward to select is awful. Trying to reach out and grab the dashboard to scroll is slow and etc. I can't be bothered finishing this but all I can say is kinect2 is going back in the box and I hope for a system update that allows auto sign-in without kinect.
Also Xbox off command would not work and I had to use the controller home button.

also make sure you're saying Xbox turn off not just Xbox off. Like others have said voice is way more effective than hand gestures.

SPDIF

Would the mods let us? This OT and the PS4 OT have been going on for a looong time.

The PS4 OT only has around 18000 posts though. I'm pretty sure all threads are locked at around 20000 posts due to some database error occurring otherwise. I may be mistaken though.

malfcn

I can make another.? Don't know if I can top the topic though. :)

Also I talked to a MS rep at Best Buy and he said the standard controller is more matte and the Day One controller is slightly glossy. Is this true? My day one is slightly shiney from use.

Hawk269

Having issues with Netflix and the Xbox One. I have a very good Internet connection (120 down/20 up). When using Netflix every moving, even though it is listed as HD does not play in HD. I know from time to time when using Netflix on other devices it takes a few brief moments for it to switch to HD from SD, but no matter how long or how many different movies I have tried, everything is in standard.

If I switch to Xbox Video and play a HD clip/movie etc, it is in full HD no problem, but Netflix refuses to run in HD. I uninstalled the app and re-installed and still the same thing. Any ideas on what is going on?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
They really need to patch in the surround sound through optical. Getting tired of shitty audio in BF4

Also astro needs to come out with that adapter.

Sobriquet

I can make another.? Don't know if I can top the topic though. :)

Also I talked to a MS rep at Best Buy and he said the standard controller is more matte and the Day One controller is slightly glossy. Is this true? My day one is slightly shiney from use.

Yeah, it does look a little shinier. Never noticed it until you mentioned it.

Doodis

Having issues with Netflix and the Xbox One. I have a very good Internet connection (120 down/20 up). When using Netflix every moving, even though it is listed as HD does not play in HD. I know from time to time when using Netflix on other devices it takes a few brief moments for it to switch to HD from SD, but no matter how long or how many different movies I have tried, everything is in standard.

If I switch to Xbox Video and play a HD clip/movie etc, it is in full HD no problem, but Netflix refuses to run in HD. I uninstalled the app and re-installed and still the same thing. Any ideas on what is going on?
I had the same issue with Netflix on my 360. Plenty of bandwidth, but crappy Netflix quality. It's really infuriating.

pretty sure theres something wrong with my second controller. first one had a busted trigger, this one seems like one of the screws holding it together isn't in all the way.

;____;

Hawk269

I had the same issue with Netflix on my 360. Plenty of bandwidth, but crappy Netflix quality. It's really infuriating.

What is weird is that my 360 which is hooked up to the same router will play in HD no problem. I just did the power cycle thing since that seems to fix a lot of issues, but still nothing.

Even more bizarre is that my 4k TV has the Netflix app and I just tried it. Not only is my TV showing the 1080p, it is using Netflix SuperHD...so this has to be something with the Xbox One and the Netflix app.

WTF is going on???

rjcc

What is weird is that my 360 which is hooked up to the same router will play in HD no problem. I just did the power cycle thing since that seems to fix a lot of issues, but still nothing.

Even more bizarre is that my 4k TV has the Netflix app and I just tried it. Not only is my TV showing the 1080p, it is using Netflix SuperHD...so this has to be something with the Xbox One and the Netflix app.

WTF is going on???

this is just how Netflix works. The load sharing and connections are different for different devices, even over the same connection.

I don't know if it was this thread, but there was another post on NeoGAF (or maybe it was avs forum, trying to recall) accusing Netflix of intentionally throttling down quality on the 360 to boost Xbox One sales. It will completely vary by your area / connection.

If you have Kinect to the rear of your desk and it can't see your floor then it'll give you problems. Especially for Kinect Sports Rivals. Don't know why but it does.

You should find a way to get it high up so that it can even see a small amount of your floor.

And don't be afraid to use some ingenuity :)

A piece of foam as a base and a metal coat hanger running through the foam and holes in my TV wall mount is the sturdiest Kinect mount I could have asked for lol.

hahah Yeah good advice. Unfortunately I think it's just my space is too limited. I should've mentioned that it's on top of my desktop tower, on top of my desk, overlooking my room.

It's almost as high as my TV and on the edge of the tower, I think it's the best I can do :[ - Isn't Kinect Sports Rivals supposed to enable controller input though? Maybe that's for the final release.

Hawk269

this is just how Netflix works. The load sharing and connections are different for different devices, even over the same connection.

I don't know if it was this thread, but there was another post on NeoGAF (or maybe it was avs forum, trying to recall) accusing Netflix of intentionally throttling down quality on the 360 to boost Xbox One sales. It will completely vary by your area / connection.

Well, I also tested by regular blu ray player and it also shows in HD. So basically every device I have tried goes into HD except the Xbox One and only for Netflix. On my 4k TV it looks the best via the TV's Netflix as it seems like the Super HD is running well and it looks pretty fantastic.

Pretty screwed up that the Xbox One, or at least for me Netflix is sub-1080p. :(

Chitown B

Big Netflix problem, and it's widely reported. Conspiracy people think MS is hindering Netflix to make their own buyable HD movies look better. Dunno.

Was there an update I didn't know about? My machine wouldn't power on with Xbox On, and so I tried the controller. That wouldn't turn it on either - only touching the power button would, and it booted from cold. WTF?

Sydle

Need some help. Had to replace my Xbox One, now my Windows 8 PC won't recognize the new one as a device to which I can stream media.

I've tried adding it as a device on my PC by manually scanning for all bluetooth-enabled devices and nothing.

What am I missing?

It and Ryse are the reasons I went with a bone over PS4.

How is ryse I'm thinking about picking it up.

Well, I also tested by regular blu ray player and it also shows in HD. So basically every device I have tried goes into HD except the Xbox One and only for Netflix. On my 4k TV it looks the best via the TV's Netflix as it seems like the Super HD is running well and it looks pretty fantastic.

Pretty screwed up that the Xbox One, or at least for me Netflix is sub-1080p. :(

Every console sucks for streaming video. Apple TV gives me the best picture. Even the youtube app is high quality video.

BradC00

Need some help. Had to replace my Xbox One, now my Windows 8 PC won't recognize the new one as a device to which I can stream media.

I've tried adding it as a device on my PC by manually scanning for all bluetooth-enabled devices and nothing.

What am I missing?

Did you name the Xbox in Settings>System>Name?

What am I missing?
My Xbone wouldn't show up on my network for a couple days then magically decided to appear.
It's not bluetooth btw.

malfcn

Can figure out if it is my TV or the Xbox or my internet.

But things like Hulu and Amazon are all stuttering while watching.

Charcoal

On the dashboard home screen push the menu button and select Help. Go to "How-to videos & tutorials
Thanks for this. Unfortunately I was confused by it. I've never used Windows 8 and I was only able to spend a few minutes with it, but the fact that it has built-in tutorials proves my point for me.

hahah Yeah good advice. Unfortunately I think it's just my space is too limited. I should've mentioned that it's on top of my desktop tower, on top of my desk, overlooking my room.

It's almost as high as my TV and on the edge of the tower, I think it's the best I can do :[ - Isn't Kinect Sports Rivals supposed to enable controller input though? Maybe that's for the final release.

Controller input will likely only be for menus. There was some debug version that had controller support enabled at a pre-launch event, but I don't think that's the design intent of the game (and Phil Spencer seemed to crack down pretty hard on it when it happened, lol). Kinect games can still have basic controller support just for testing purposes, even if it's not necessarily intended for the final game.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

I had this problem a couple of weeks ago, now it plays in HD fine. I think it's a Netflix issue.

Check this out haha!!

svPFUFW.jpg

Just got my wife Zoo Tycoon for her Christmas gift tonight and she's been playing it non-stop and I've been watching her and I must say, it's a pretty solid game. I'm impressed they made a game that young kids could enjoy but still plenty deep to be a good sim/tycoon game. When she's done I think I'm going to have to have a go at it. I tried the feeding animals with Kinect part, and that was seriously one of the coolest things I've done with Kinect 1 or 2 ever in a game.

Bgamer90

Banned
Looking forward to impressions. I can't get the game since for some reason my account has been locked from making purchases (PBR9002 error). So strange.

Talked to MS and they said that everything should get straightened out by Tuesday but we'll see. If not, I'm probably going to go more public about this (make a thread) since it seems like I'm not the only one who is having this problem.

Dabanton

Fuck yes!

My X1 arrived a day early. The Amazon guy just dropped it off.

Just having my tea and then I'll set it up. From reading this thread among others it seems I have a lot of updating to do.

Top Bottom