• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Is the "Watch TV" mode unable to work with cable boxes that use HDCP? Because my Cisco box (Atlantic Broadband) complains that the display device doesn't support HDCP when hooked up through the XBox, though the XBox *is* able to control it directly through the HDMI cable.

gkryhewy

Is the "Watch TV" mode unable to work with cable boxes that use HDCP? Because my Cisco box (Atlantic Broadband) complains that the display device doesn't support HDCP when hooked up through the XBox, though the XBox *is* able to control it directly through the HDMI cable.

Nothing is controlled through the HDMI cable. Kinect is an IR blaster. No HDCP issues here, but sometimes I do get handshaking issues starting up with my old-ish comcast box..

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Didn't know it would discount the price for Halo because I already had it on my phone (thought it was only Windows store, but I guess this makes sense). Cool.

Pug

Not sure if anyone can help on this one. But I have kinect IR blaster set to contol my amp and TV. Everything seems to work fine when using "Xbox on" bar Kinect turning the TV on. This only appears to be an issue after the TV has been in standby for a long period, like say overnight. Once I start the TV up via the remote, I can close everything down then repeat xbox on and Kinect switches the TV on no problem. Do Pani TV's have different standby modes?

Caayn

Not sure if anyone can help on this one. But I have kinect IR blaster set to contol my amp and TV. Everything seems to work fine when using "Xbox on" bar Kinect turning the TV on. This only appears to be an issue after the TV has been in standby for a long period, like say overnight. Once I start the TV up via the remote, I can close everything down then repeat xbox on and Kinect switches the TV on no problem. Do Pani TV's have different standby modes?
My Panasonic TXL-37V10e doesn't work with Kinect. The Kinect doesn't blast the IR signal long enough for my TV to power up. When I use the remote I need to hold the power button for roughly two seconds.
Spartan assault feels like a mobile game

dos the missions get longer or are they all these 2 min mini missions
The first missions are very short. They get longer but don't expect full length campaign mission. SA is originally a mobile game ;)

Haven't tried the co-op mode yet, I expect that they will be longer as they're designed for the consoles.

moaaz

Yeah, I have the same problem. TV is a panasonic vt30.

Bgamer90

Banned
Yey! I can finally make digital purchases again!

Still don't understand how I was getting that error. Oh well; hopefully it doesn't happen again.

moaaz

same here with my panasonic ETW5, had the same issue with my harmony remote until I let it fire out the signal for 2 seconds instead of 1. no such option on the X1 yet though :(

That must be the problem because the TV led does flicker briefly but fails to switch on.

jem0208

Just gone to bed after using my xbone with forza5 and crimson dragon.
What an utterly frustrating and under-whelmed experience. The hand gestures and push forward to select is awful. Trying to reach out and grab the dashboard to scroll is slow and etc. I can't be bothered finishing this but all I can say is kinect2 is going back in the box and I hope for a system update that allows auto sign-in without kinect.
Also Xbox off command would not work and I had to use the controller home button.

Don't bother with hand gestures, they work but aren't great. Voice commands is where the Kinect really shines.

Are you saying "Xbox Off"? Because the actual command is "Xbox Turn Off".

Hammer24

Banned

Try a different HDMI cable.

Marco1

Don't bother with hand gestures, they work but aren't great. Voice commands is where the Kinect really shines.

Are you saying "Xbox Off"? Because the actual command is "Xbox Turn Off".
Thanks I will give it another try tonight but last night did not work for me at all.
If the hand command are not working right then why are they trying to push the UI so much?
They need to admit defeat and go back to the drawing board.
Get rid of the bulky Kinect and give us a tiny mic and redo the UI.

Marco1

Same here, the LED on the TV flickers so it's trying to switch on, sounds like it's a time issue. Will try what Bgamer90 suggests.
I always remember my Panasonic tvs doing this and it's something they need to patch and allow for.

jem0208

Thanks I will give it another try tonight but last night did not work for me at all.
If the hand command are not working right then why are they trying to push the UI so much?
They need to admit defeat and go back to the drawing board.
Get rid of the bulky Kinect and give us a tiny mic and redo the UI.

Do the hand gestures not work at all for you? They work fine for me, I just think voice commands and using the controller is better.

Just got my Xbox this morning. I seem to have a weird app on the dashboard that says "ms-resource:DESC_FEED_APP_NAME ms-". When I click on it, it brings up the Activity Feed. Any Ideas?

simples

Banned
The first missions are very short. They get longer but don't expect full length campaign mission. SA is originally a mobile game ;)

Haven't tried the co-op mode yet, I expect that they will be longer as they're designed for the consoles.
not feeling this

coop seems like 5 levels of horde mode, not an actual campaign. feeling like my first dud game purchase on xbone. loved every game I played up to now

feel especially bad because because I skipped max on Friday to wait for this. from the clips from friends, looks like that's the better value. the halo name got me :(

eastx

not feeling this

coop seems like 5 levels of horde mode, not an actual campaign. feeling like my first dud game purchase on xbone. loved every game I played up to now

feel especially bad because because I skipped max on Friday to wait for this. from the clips from friends, looks like that's the better value. the halo name got me :(

Did Spartan Assault come out early, or did you get a review code? Still waiting on my code...

Marco1

Do the hand gestures not work at all for you? They work fine for me, I just think voice commands and using the controller is better.
They work but they are clunky and unrefined.
I expected them to be so much better than Kinect1 but they're not.
For example, when holding my hand up and closing fist to scroll I have to exaggerate and slow my movements but I expected it to work naturally. I guess expected to much and should have l lowered my expectations a lot more.
Unless MS bring out something killer for Xbox one then I can't see me holding on to it next year.

Xbudz

4tRKEyr.jpg

Just got Spartan Assault for $5.

I somehow thought spartan assault was out tomorrow, £3.99 for me.
Awesome sauce, will play that some tonight before I'm on lockdown for Christmas.

Dabanton

So I've got it all setup

my gawd this thing is eerily quiet. DL'ed KI and Kinect Sports Rivals just installing FIFA.

Love the layout, love the new Kinect,don't' love no 5.1 optical out. I understand that's coming in a update soon?

I think its time MS added a function to quick switch between apps now.

There needs to be some way to quick switch between which app you want be full screen when running snapped apps.

Would also like a way to switch between recent full screen apps like ps4 'double tap ps button function'.

No point having the apps if the experience isnt smoove enough.

My kid says he's set up his wireless turtle beaches and can hear game sound and people chatting but cant talk back. Any workaround for this at the moment?

I looked on Youtube and found some videos of people ripping stuff apart and splicing and soldering wires and stuff but I'd rather not get into all that if theres some kind of adapter I can buy or another easy fix.

nbraun80

My kid says he's set up his wireless turtle beaches and can hear game sound and people chatting but cant talk back. Any workaround for this at the moment?

I looked on Youtube and found some videos of people ripping stuff apart and splicing and soldering wires and stuff but I'd rather not get into all that if theres some kind of adapter I can buy or another easy fix.
no really easy fix at this point, I believe there are suppose to be adapters and new headsets coming early next year. Only 3 options right now are, using the provided mic to talk and tv audio, use Kinect to talk to people and listen to them and game audio in headset, or put the provide mic on and then the turtle beaches on top of it, not the most comfortable but works. Ha

Alx

Supposedly, this is what double tapping the home button should do. But all it ever does is play a sound.

Double tapping toggles the focus between the "main" app and the snapped app, depending on which one you want to control. It's the equivalent of the "Xbox switch" command.
It doesn't turn the snapped app into the main one and vice versa, though, which would be a convenient command indeed (although a tricky one since not all apps can be snapped).

Caayn

Yeah my second Xbox One is shipped. Due to arrive tomorrow just in time to make someone glad for the holidays. There's a funny thing going on, it is shipped from The Netherlands o_O The Netherlands is a Tier 2 country and the Xbox One hasn't yet been released here.

Sanic

Double tapping toggles the focus between the "main" app and the snapped app, depending on which one you want to control. It's the equivalent of the "Xbox switch" command.
It doesn't turn the snapped app into the main one and vice versa, though, which would be a convenient command indeed (although a tricky one since not all apps can be snapped).

It actually switches between which app your controller is active on. The sound is a confirmation that it has switched.

Hopefully XB1 UI.1 arrives soon.

Oh wow, my bad. I've seen people in this very thread mention what I have. That's good to know. I hardly ever snap anything, which is why I didn't see this myself.

Caayn

So it's Christmas and I'm tight on cash. Can I buy Max from the US store and save some money? If so, how?
You've got a credit card yes? If so do the following:

- Go to settings
- System and set your language & location to "English/United States"
- Let the console reboot. Congrats you're now on the US marketplace
- Browse to Max TCoB in the store and select buy
- You'll be asked to add a credit card. Select add card.
- Fill in your credit card information but enter a US address. (For example use the address of a store in the US)
- Profit.

You've got a credit card yes? If so do the following:

- Go to settings
- System and set your language & location to "English/United States"
- Let the console reboot. Congrats you're now on the US marketplace
- Browse to Max TCoB in the store and select buy
- You'll be asked to add a credit card. Select add card.
- Fill in your credit card information but enter a US address. (For example use the address of a store in the US)
- Profit.
Thank you, squire.

edit: is there a need to switch back after? Or should I just keep the US settings?

Caayn

Thank you, squire.

edit: is there a need to switch back after? Or should I just keep the US settings?
There's no need to switch back. I'm on the US marketplace since launch as the price difference are as big as 50% for retail games compared to the European marketplaces.

Edit:
Here's an example of how big the price difference is between different marketplaces. (These numbers are 16 days old, haven't checked since)
Ryse: Son of Rome:
US: $59.99
UK: $82.05 (£49.99)
Germany: $95.09 (€69.99)

Assassin's Creed IV:
US: $59.99
UK: $90.20 (£54.99)
Germany: $95.09 (€69.99)

bidguy

Banned
i wanted to buy spartan assault from the us marketplace but its giving me an error. im using a german cc is that a problem ?

There's no need to switch back. I'm on the US marketplace since launch as the price difference are as big as 50% for retail games compared to the European marketplaces.

Edit:
Here's an example of how big the price difference is between different marketplaces. (These numbers are 16 days old, haven't checked since)
Cool. And once you're registered as being in the US must you use the CC or can PayPal still be used?

Caayn

i wanted to buy spartan assault from the us marketplace but its giving me an error. im using a german cc is that a problem ?
It shouldn't be a problem. What error do you get? And are you using a real US address + zipcode + state combination?
Cool. And once you're registered as being in the US must you use the CC or can PayPal still be used?
Paypal is an option, although I have no experience with paying with PayPal on Xbox. There's a number of option to pay with PayPal:
  • You should be able to add a PayPal account to your Microsoft account at billing.microsoft.com. Make sure that it says "US personal profile" under your name.
  • Or you can add PayPal to your account via the US MicrosoftStore website. Log in with your e-mail of your gamertag, go to your profile and select "Payment". Here you can add PayPal account.
  • Alternatively you can also buy it directly from store.xbox.com and add a PayPal account during the checkout.

jond76

Banned
My god, we're past 20,000 posts. What will become of us?!

Question: Can I buy the digital license for my disc installed version of DR3? I'm deciding to say "fuck it, I'm going all digital".

no really easy fix at this point, I believe there are suppose to be adapters and new headsets coming early next year. Only 3 options right now are, using the provided mic to talk and tv audio, use Kinect to talk to people and listen to them and game audio in headset, or put the provide mic on and then the turtle beaches on top of it, not the most comfortable but works. Ha

Doh! Alright, thanks for the answers.

bidguy

Banned
It shouldn't be a problem. What error do you get? And are you using a real US address + zipcode + state combination?

yeah i did.

i added the card on the german market with my real adress before but when i switch to the us marketplace the info is gone. i had to add the card again and used the us adress but its giving me a "cant complete your purchase" error.

Top Bottom