• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Marco1

after experiencing regular hiccups in relaunching Ryse thanks to instant resume, I'm done with Kinect as "instant resume" was the #1 reason I kept it plugged. I can live with manually signing-in, and even tho Ryse takes its sweet time to launch, I'll keep myself busy with the Surface companion app while it loads...

Enjoying the system and the games tho.

Now update the OS MS and drop the Kinect requirement for auto sign-in, and for fuck's sake, get the" Kinect unplugged" message out of my dash after a minute or two.
I agree. I just don't understand why it's so focused.
If you have no interest in Kinect then why is the other option so hamstrung?
It still doesn't work as good as it should and how much better will it get?

Why are all game play times fucked. Apparently I've played Halo Spartan Assault for 16 hours. Is that game even out that long? Definitely didn't have it suspended that whole time.

BF4 is at 9 days lmao.

jem0208

Why are all game play times fucked. Apparently I've played Halo Spartan Assault for 16 hours. Is that game even out that long? Definitely didn't have it suspended that whole time.

BF4 is at 9 days lmao.

My Forza play time is supposedly 28 hours which is clearly wrong. However the other games seem fine. Bit odd.

It's pretty great to so far, I reached 4-2 a little earlier and I've finally come across a puzzle that's actually not at all simple to solve...

Here's the OT for more impressions.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=94469485&posted=1#post94469485

Definitely worth buying, I'm only on chapter 2 and I'm loving this game!

Here is some gameplay of the first level: http://youtu.be/rROvTVtdnUE

I've played and finished it and it's a great game. Very fun and quite enjoyable. Puzzles get progressively harder and varied.

Thanks guys! I'll certainly pick it up, I was a little worried cause the biggest complaint in the reviews were the controls were a little off, but if the game is great I can let that slide :)

Redshirt

Banned
Having finished the game, I think some of the criticism of the controls are fair.

The controls are imprecise, which is part of the charm most of the time; but there are times where the game demands precision or time-sensitive action, and then those controls are a lot less charming.

Still a very good game, and I'm not disappointed I bought it; however -- an maybe I'm being El Cheapo -- if the XB1 had a fully realized game library, I'd see this more as an $8.99-9.99 title rather than $14.99.

DLing Brothers on 360 atm and man do I miss the fast notifications without the "Hold for details" junk. They just pop up for just the right time for your to notice and if you don't care they're gone again. Wanna know more press guide and you'll instantly get there.

Caayn

Wow, after a month with Xbox One I decided to get on my 360 for a bit and damn that controller feels nasty compared to the One's.
Same here, 360 controller feels clunky and the analog sticks feel so heavy now that I'm used to the One's. I also directly miss the new triggers/bumpers(never though that I would say that I miss the new bumpers).
Why is there no local coop in Spartan Assault?
Dunno, I'm wondering why I can't play these maps alone. I'm not always in the mood to play with others and just want to blast some Flood on my own. Maybe in a future update, at least I hope so. They've already changed a lot in the W8/WP8 versions after they launched. Who says that 343i isn't going to do the same with the Xbox One version.

Montresor

Getting my Day One Xbox One later today!

No games for it yet... but AC4 Black Flag is coming from Ebay later this week. I'm so excited.

I did get myself a $50 XBL card, so I can put Lococycle and Max Brotherhood in my veins.

No games for it yet... but AC4 Black Flag is coming from Ebay later this week. I'm so excited.

I did get myself a $50 XBL card, so I can put Lococycle and Max Brotherhood in my veins.

and certainly pick up the limited edition of Forza 5 if you can, totally worth the 80 bucks imo.

Montresor

and certainly pick up the limited edition of Forza 5 if you can, totally worth the 80 bucks imo.

I got on the hype train for Forza 5 and Killer Instinct, two games that looked like they would be great exclusives (and they seem like solid games today). But I'm really just not into fighting or racing games at all.

Once I finish AC4, Lococycle, and Max, I'm getting Ryse. And once I finish up DR2 and DR Case West on the 360, I'm diving into DR3.

I'm especially excited for 1080p (
or maybe 900p ^_^
) Rayman Legends this February.

Doodis

You may want to reconsider on Lococycle if you haven't read any of the reviews. Of course, if you know what you're getting into, best of luck.

Flaxh

Guys my xbl account is portuguese but I use the UK region on the One as we did not get the console at launch. I would love to buy peggle on the X1 and some of the xmas deals on the 360 so I would like to know if any of you guys have tried buying MS points on the 360 (EU Card) and if those carry over to the X1 even if its another region (UK). It would convert the points to € on the 360 and then to £ when I sign in on the One?

Also, if I pick the US as my region on the X1 and buy digital games, will I be able to play them after I change to the Uk and maybe in the future to Portugal?

Thanks in advance.

Looking for a reply.

So, Lococycle may be one of the most batshit insane games i've ever played.

Its very hard to explain, but im oddly compelled to still play it. The live action stuff is incredibly cheesy (which is what they were going for), graphics are pretty bad but I can't say it bothers me. Gameplay is shallow and repetitive, it doesn't really do a good job of telling you what you have to do and how to get good combos.

Its strange, glad I didn't pay for it :p Its not even entirely bad, hard to explain. Feels almost japanese.

Twisted Pixel should have done a motorbike racing game with weapons etc, like Full Auto/Road Rash

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Gonna wait a few weeks for the inevitable Christmas craigslist onslaught of Dead Rising 3 at ~$40 price :)

Wouldn't be surprised to see Ghosts in the ~$30 range.

edit: wow there's actually a few listing already for DR3 at $45.

Finally got to open up my Xbox!
Holy crap it's huge!
(Must impress all the ladies )

Any tips for setting this guy up and my kinect up? I just finished the initial update, going through settings now

Also I have my kinect stationed at the base of my tv. Is it better at the top or higher up rather than at a lower point?

Last question, with the 1st setup option which includes incorporating your cable box, does this mean you can't watch regular tv without the xbox being on?

airborn

Guys my xbl account is portuguese but I use the UK region on the One as we did not get the console at launch. I would love to buy peggle on the X1 and some of the xmas deals on the 360 so I would like to know if any of you guys have tried buying MS points on the 360 and if those carry over to the X1 even if its another region.
Microsoft Points won't carry over to another region, they'll stay on your current Portuguese account. You can still use them on the Xbox 360.

Caayn

Finally got to open up my Xbox!
Holy crap it's huge!
(Must impress all the ladies )

Any tips for setting this guy up and my kinect up? I just finished the initial update, going through settings now

Also I have my kinect stationed at the base of my tv. Is it better at the top or higher up rather than at a lower point?

Last question, with the 1st setup option which includes incorporating your cable box, does this mean you can't watch regular tv without the xbox being on?
Go to settings and recalibrate Kinect. Put the sound of your speakers on MAX, this ensures that Kinect can hear you a lot better. While you're here look if you need to manually tilt, or replace, the Kinect in order to see your "room"/"playspace"(however you want to call it) correctly.

The Xbox One doesn't have a passive HDMI pass-through. So it needs to be on in order to pass-through the HDMI-IN signal :(

Dubz

The party system is really weird. Having to turn on party chat after starting a party confuses a lot of people, including me at first.

Hubble

I got on the hype train for Forza 5 and Killer Instinct, two games that looked like they would be great exclusives (and they seem like solid games today). But I'm really just not into fighting or racing games at all.

Once I finish AC4, Lococycle, and Max, I'm getting Ryse. And once I finish up DR2 and DR Case West on the 360, I'm diving into DR3.

I'm especially excited for 1080p (
or maybe 900p ^_^
) Rayman Legends this February.

Don't be discouraged by Dead Rising 2 Case Zero. I thought it sucked imo but luckily I continued to play Dead Rising 2, and imo it's one of the best games of this generation. It perfects everything in part 1 with smarter human AI and fantastic map design. I love the map and the placement of items, shortcuts, etc., along with the leveling system and how you can find weapon recipes.

Flaxh

Yeah it's pretty silly. I wonder why they set it up that way.

Microsoft Points won't carry over to another region, they'll stay on your current Portuguese account. You can still use them on the Xbox 360.

What if I choose an European region on the X1 instead of the UK? Maybe I should just get two separate Ms points cards for each console even if I end up losing some money.

The party system is really weird. Having to turn on party chat after starting a party confuses a lot of people, including me at first.

after using it a bit, really the thing most simple and easy would be to put chat ON be default when you join a party.

From there, i have no problem with how it works jumping to a game. My buddies and I had no problem in Forza Multi. one player in the party just joins any multiplayer match, and it just invited everyone else automatically, we all just dropped into the same lobby. party chat to talk to your party, party chat off to talk to everyone in the lobby. made sense to me.

I think the core frustrations are valid, but i think they can look at the pain points and with some simple tweaks (simple in the front end, no idea in back end) by turning on party chat on join, and allowing you to "invite to game" from within a lobby like 360. even just some popups explaining whats going on.

It will improve. I ain't worried.

Hana-Bi

My MS Points carried over/were changed into $ when changing my region to US. Local currency like € won't carry over.

So if you still have some points you can exchange them into £ or $.

airborn

So if you still have some points you can exchange them into £ or $.
When I tried redeeming (old) Microsoft Points on the UK Store I got a currency error. They worked fine on the Irish store.

What if I choose an European region on the X1 instead of the UK? Maybe I should just get two separate Ms points cards for each console even if I end up losing some money.
When you switch regions on the Xbox One, you add another billing region to your account. See: http://commerce.microsoft.com

If you live in a Eurozone country you can redeem (old) Microsoft Points and Euro prepaid cards on any Eurozone Store (Ireland e.g.) on the Xbox One. That money will be added to your Irish account. If you redeem a prepaid card on the Xbox 360, that money will be added to (in your case) your Portuguese account.

MarkusRJR

Should I play the first Dead Rising games before I get to 3? I wanna play the first two if there is relevant story bits, but I wanna play a next gen game at the same time.

sangreal

Should I play the first Dead Rising games before I get to 3? I wanna play the first two if there is relevant story bits, but I wanna play a next gen game at the same time.

It's not all that important and the game gives a recap at some point but I only played DR1 and definitely regretted it. I don't know about dr2 but dr1 has a set length so it's not that long

nbraun80

Eh I only played a little of the first two and I think you'll be fine. Its like 10 years after the last game. The only thing you wouldn't get is that you meet a person from a previous games at some point, its cool if you played them but just another guy in the storyline if you haven't.

MarkusRJR

Not sure if my Xbox is having issues or not. It's been "installing" DR3 for 40 minutes now yet only at 20%. I'm doing it digitally though. Is it downloading the game still or something? I just want to play my new console. :(

nbraun80

Not sure if my Xbox is having issues or not. It's been "installing" DR3 for 40 minutes now yet only at 20%. I'm doing it digitally though. Is it downloading the game still or something? I just want to play my new console. :(

It downloads new updates and patches before the game install so it probably sat at 0% for 25 minutes just doing that.

I had a problem where my console would not tell me it was downloading (the % ticker didn't move), if I reset the console and looked again, its shot up, so presumably it is downloading, its just not telling you its doing it. Which is weird and stupid, but worth a try.

MarkusRJR

It downloads new updates and patches before the game install so it probably sat at 0% for 25 minutes just doing that.

I had a problem where my console would not tell me it was downloading (the % ticker didn't move), if I reset the console and looked again, its shot up, so presumably it is downloading, its just not telling you its doing it. Which is weird and stupid, but worth a try.
Hmmm... I'll just play Peggle 2 while it installs. Hopefully it's just being weird and not a legitimate problem with the system.

EDIT: I paused the install to let some apps install and noticed it never mentioned downloading when downloading the apps. Guess DR3 was just downloading that 18gb. I'm so used to there being a download meter and then an install meter. Dumb that they combined the two.

I gotta say. I think Max is my favorite Next gen game thus far. It's so charming. My kids even love watching it. It's been a blast. Tight platforming. Fun puzzles.

I played the game at this year's PAX East with the Dev's on X360 and the controls and graphics left me unimpressed so I couldn't be more surprised after playing this on XBO.

Top Bottom