• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Caayn

Just have been fumbling around with the gestures and although must aren't good. The gesture that Yusuf Medhi showed during the Xbox One reveal works great.
- Grab the screen and move your hands towards each other to minimize and return to the dashboard.
- Grab the screen and move your hands apart to open/resume the app/game in the main window on the dashboard.
Awesome reply, thanks!

Should we really be worried for a ban?
Thanks. The PayPal info isn't mine I got that from other users around the forum here. As for the ban. I wouldn't worry although don't be salty when the hammer hits. If MS really wanted to stop us from doing this they wouldn't have said that we were free to switch between marketplaces as long as we have a valid payment option. See post from Albert Penello below ;)

It's totally different.

First - all games are WW signed. Not all 360 games are.

Second - The console will work everywhere (keeping in mind Power Supplies)

Third - You can use one of the 13 digital marketplaces corresponding to our launch markets, assuming you have a valid payment instrument for those countries. Lots of people in Europe specifically travel, move, and visit family.

Now, of course, if you were using Pre-Paid cards... :)

You will still find that music and video content can be geo-restricted based on licensing. (e.g. Netflix works only in supported countries)

iMax

wish the little 3 and 7 day trials stacked on top too. I got about a month worth of them laying around because my gold is good until 2016. Ha

You know what? They used to until a few years ago. I stacked up nearly a years worth of Xbox Live Gold just through trials and free inserts!

The Flash

Banned
Merry Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/Festivus Xbox Gaf! It's certainly been a crazy year with a lot of ups and downs and turn arounds. We haven't always got along but it's been a great year nonetheless. I hope you all have a great time hanging out with your friends and families and that you all have a great New Year as well. Here's to 2014!

GG Gaf.

Giggzy

Thanks for the info about BF4 and Dread Rising 3. Both sound good but damn I am so undecided. Can only afford one at the moment.

Those are the two games I'm deciding between right now too. I love BF4 but I'm tempted to hold off on a FPS until Titanfall. At the same time I'm not sure if I'll enjoy DR3. I'm downloading the demo now to see if I like it.

statham

Merry Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/Festivus Xbox Gaf! It's certainly been a crazy year with a lot of ups and downs and turn arounds. We haven't always got along but it's been a great year nonetheless. I hope you all have a great time hanging out with your friends and families and that you all have a great New Year as well. Here's to 2014!

GG Gaf.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night. :) 2014 is going to be a great year for Xbox fans.

theytookourjobz

Couldn't get MS to take my CC so I bought a couple of codes from Amazon. Bought Peggle 2 and Max based on the talk here. Can't wait to play em. Also I was a bit worried about the ambiguous 14.99 plus tax price tag. Doesn't seem like I was charged tax though as I only had $15 in my account and the purchase went through.

Montresor

Been stuck at installing Max all FUCKING DAY. Jesus CHRIST.

I Xbox OFF'D my console like 5 hours ago to put it on standby. Max was at 15% install. And there were maybe 10 apps in queue: sky drive, Netflix, bluray player, etc...

I use the audio command Xbox Turn On when I come back home and Max has a clickable install option. I click it and Max shows 25% progress towards the installation. Ugh.

It seems the queued apps installed properly while I was gone though. Netflix launched just fine.

I'm enjoying the UI and the voice recognition. You really need to drill into your head that you have to use "Go to" to open an app. After that it started working smoothly.

Montresor

So what on earth is happening with my Max game? Now it's quickly jumped to 58% install progress? What was the console doing while it was on standby?

Couldn't get MS to take my CC so I bought a couple of codes from Amazon. Bought Peggle 2 and Max based on the talk here. Can't wait to play em. Also I was a bit worried about the ambiguous 14.99 plus tax price tag. Doesn't seem like I was charged tax though as I only had $15 in my account and the purchase went through.

I'm guessing you mean you bought Xbox Gift Cards off Amazon. In that case, MS assumes whoever sold you the cards/codes charged you tax.

iROXQlLJrjhRZ.JPG

Thanks for the help guys! Really digging this system so far.

Questions about kinect being connected to my cable. How do I flip channels? Can I only go to specific channels by saying them? How to I go up and down channels like when I increase my volume or through the guide?

slapnuts

I actually really dig the Xbox One look of the console. I know I have seen many people knock the look of the console but to me..i do not mind the squarish look of it...to me it has a nice slick premium look to the overall design of the cosmetic aspects of X1.

I also like the UI ...although i do prefer just using a controller to control UI's. I personally do not own a X1 ..i went with PS4 but i have had many hours using the console at my neighbors house. I just about finished Ryse over there...pretty game and pretty fun regardless of the repetition it has.

I probably will get the console later down the road if the exclusives fit my personal liking.

Giggzy

Yeah, I did this yesterday and it's been working very well.

It can still hear me clearly even with KI turned up loud. Very impressed.

You can only go as loud as it will let you right? I tried to calibrate it with my volume at max but it said it was too loud and I had to turn it down. It would only work at about 60% volume. Kinect has a hard time hearing me with netflix on or listening to xbox music while gaming. I have to shout pretty loudly and I'm only 5/6 feet away.

Ok what am I doing wrong? I can't figure out this damn store. I go to games , select something (I.e spartan assault , it goes on its page but I find no way to just go back to previous screen? I basically have to go home and rego back into games to see something else .

I thought I could just press b and return to previous screen but it does nothing, is it me or is the store interface a complete mess?

Ok what am I doing wrong? I can't figure out this damn store. I go to games , select something (I.e spartan assault , it goes on its page but I find no way to just go back to previous screen? I basically have to go home and rego back into games to see something else .

I thought I could just press b and return to previous screen but it does nothing, is it me or is the store interface a complete mess?

If I go to Store->Games, select a game page, and then press B...it goes back to the main Games page for me.

But if I go directly from the dashboard to the Halo Spartan Assault store tile, then pressing B returns me to the dashboard (which I think is what you're referring to)

Yeah, it's kinda weird. I see what they're going for (a "global" back button for when you just want to check one thing really quick and go back to what you were doing previously), but it is very different from what most people are used to. The Achievements app kinda works like this also.

There's also some inconsistencies. In some apps, you can press Menu/Start and go to "Back to Top". But that's not available in all apps.

Thanks for the help guys! Really digging this system so far.

Questions about kinect being connected to my cable. How do I flip channels? Can I only go to specific channels by saying them? How to I go up and down channels like when I increase my volume or through the guide?

Anyone?

Also how do I get my xbox to turn on my actual tv? Or do I still need the remote for that?

Chitown B

Anyone?

Also how do I get my xbox to turn on my actual tv? Or do I still need the remote for that?

you need an IR cable that is routed and stickered to the IR input on your TV.

As for channels, I think Channel Up or Channel Down would work, but if you're not just saying channels it's probably easier to use your regular remote.

jem0208

Anyone?

It should do it automatically. Have you set it up so that your Kinect can control the TV?

you need an IR cable that is routed and stickered to the IR input on your TV.

As for channels, I think Channel Up or Channel Down would work, but if you're not just saying channels it's probably easier to use your regular remote.

You don't need an IR cable. Kinect is an IR blaster.

Caayn

I really don't like how the B button currently acts the same as the "Back arrow" on Window Phones. If I press B I want to go back a level in that app I'm currently in. I don't want to exit it and go back to the dashboard I've got the guide button for that. And when I've closed an app or rebooted my console I want all apps to start on their home screen, not on the screen where I last was in that app.

For example: when I've just powered on the console(from it's lowest power mode, orange light) and I go to the store for example it takes me to the page I last visited. Which is really annoying especially when the B button directly takes you back to the dashboard. I know there's a way around this but it shouldn't be necessary.

Really hope that MS changes this in the future.

Varg

Banned
May be the minority here but so far my two favorite next gen games are ryse and knack lol. Just completed ryse last night and Damn that shit was epic .

Bsigg12

Tempted to pick up Halo but I just can't justify $15 for a mobile game. Let me know if you feel it's worth it after playing.

Wait for a sale. I bit because I already owned it so it was only $5. If it drops, pick it up as it's a fun little game especially with the skulls on.

Anyone?

Anywhere in the front end of the system hit x button for guide of channels and apps. Assign favorites with A in there.

on controller up and down arrows are channel up and down. Voice commands I use: Xbox volume up, down, mute, unmute. Watch ESPN etc from anywhere or in game if you will.

Also A button brings up DVR controls if you have a DVR box. All voice commands that a universal for DVR. Pause play etc..

lastly the view button aka the back button shows the most recent channels. 5-7ish for your convience.

jim2011

depending how it's situated, yes you do. Especially with position to the TV and if your stuff is in a cabinet.

Not gonna argue that, you may need one but chances are you don't. Telling others to get an IR cable before trying the builtin kinect blasting is just plain stupid. The IR cable is a last resort scenario.

Kinect works flawlessly for me, even better than the old IR cables

VanWinkle

From what I played so far you might want to wait on a sale, missions are so short!

Well I took a screen and it has dat scale!
ib2INcwpEcTJAa.png

I wonder why they didn't implement dynamic shadows for the characters. Seems like it would have been an easy thing to implement.

Top Bottom