• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

daman824

so I got an xb1 for christmas and I was wondering roughly how many digital games it can fit on the hard drive. Wasn't a test done? Im wondering because I don't want to have to carry all these disks around but I also don't want to keep re-installing 50gb games on the system when I want to play them again.

Also, my zoo tycoon kicks me back to the dashboard after sitting at that boot up image for around 3 seconds. The disk isn't scratched and the system plays dead rising off the disk just fine.

Also, my zoo tycoon kicks me back to the dashboard after sitting at that boot up image for around 3 seconds. The disk isn't scratched and the system plays dead rising off the disk just fine.

Delete it and reinstall it (press Menu button in the games & apps menu and uninstall) I would think that will probably fix it.

Wizman23

Banned
I have had an XB1 since launch and every time something weird happens I disconnect the power supply and replug and all is good. I like the intentions of stand by mode, but the longer its on the more bad things happen....kind of like how with a PC where every now and then you need a restart. Just last night Kinect decided not to hear me at all. After i disconnected the power supply and plugged everything back in it was fine. Really love my XB1 but can't wait for the first major patch.

Slurmer

Banned
Just plugged everything in, got the green startup screen, and now I've been on a black screen for 10 minutes. Looks like I'm not alone..

SenkiDala

It happens, it's a bug and it will be fixed, it can happen with every game (it's when the OS dedicated to the games bugs).

To fix it, totally turn of your X1 (not sleep mode), with a long "push" on the power button, and to be sure the system is really off, unplug the AC brick, and plug it back, turn on the X1, and it should be fine.

ref

Strange, I have/had both a PS4 and Xbox One (PS4 sent in for repair), and I was quite surprised seeing when doing the network test to see I'm getting a full 50 mb/s download speed, which is what I'm paying for and what I have on my computer Speed Test. It's wired, but for my PS4 I only was getting 15 mb/s download, so not sure why it's giving me full speed on the Xbox.

Downloaded both Ryse and Dead Rising 3 in like 5 and a half hours for both (digitally), extremely surprised.

sith ewok

They patched it to fix some of the micro-transaction stuff. If you played the other Forzas, go to https://rewards.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/ they gave me a cool 3 million for free.

Thanks for this. Just got 4 million in game credits by signing in to this and I hadn't heard of it before. Very cool.

And I echo the praise for Forza. The microtransaction backlash was basically unwarranted in this case in my opinion as you would have to be pretty impatient to buy any tokens - especially after the recent changes. (I can understand the complaining in some of the other MS launch titles, but Forza seemed pretty fair though it is kind of a bummer that you don't receive free cars for leveling up anymore.

MarkusRJR

so I got an xb1 for christmas and I was wondering roughly how many digital games it can fit on the hard drive. Wasn't a test done? Im wondering because I don't want to have to carry all these disks around but I also don't want to keep re-installing 50gb games on the system when I want to play them again.

This happened to me with Dead Rising 3. I just restarted it (not from stand by, like turned it off entirely) and it seemed to work. If that doesn't fix it I'd probably delete the game and then reinstall it. Zoo Tycoon is only like 3 gigs so it's not that much of a time sink.

dk_

Why is my internet connection maxed out while installing Ryse from disc? I'm at 90% and it's still downloading stuff. I can already play it, but why is it taking hours to complete a game install on Xbox One?

Ambient80

I long for the day we get an option to disable motion controls when watching TV. Having a floaty hand fly all over the screen when watching this episode of Doctor Who is getting seriously irritating.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I long for the day we get an option to disable motion controls when watching TV. Having a floaty hand fly all over the screen when watching this episode of Doctor Who is getting seriously irritating.

are you high fiving every time the tardis breaks or what?

Peggle 2 kicks me to the dashboard after about 30 mins of playing? Is this Xbox's fault or Peggle 2?

Peggle 2 did it to me a lot as well (despite that I still played it a ton) maybe from what someone has said above it is a bug but if you pause it and leave it for a while it will just close the game to the dash.

Considering its a score based game that lacks leaderboards and is also missing the dual mode i've always assumed it was an issue with the game, wouldn't be the first and won't be the last buggy game from EA (I did encounter several bugs within the game as well)

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Anyone else having issues installing games? DR3 took a good hour to install, and Call of Duty has been sitting at 1% for about 20 minutes now.

Anyone one else having issues installing games? DR3 took a good hour to install, and Call of Duty has been sitting at 1% for about 20 minutes now.

While I can't remember the thread, there was a large amount of time spent for installs on the XB1.

I'm sure they'll get it fixed in the future, but that is the last I have heard.

Edit: Here it is

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Anyone one else having issues installing games? DR3 took a good hour to install, and Call of Duty has been sitting at 1% for about 20 minutes now.

They will download patches first with no progress indicator. The patch for DR3 was 6GB I believe.

Yuterald

What's up with the "use a different payment" error message in the shop? A family member of mine wanted to buy me a few things digitally today so we added their credit card as a payment option, bought/downloaded two things, went to get a third item and I received this error message. Is it some sort of security thing? Bank or Microsoft related, perhaps?

Chitown B

You're wrong. It blasts out all over the room. My TV is above my One which is in a cabinet below it and it turns it off every time.

position of the One makes no difference. He can try it before IR cable, but if your Kinect is below your TV then odds are it's not going to hit an IR receiver on front of your TV - and definitely will not be in direct sight of ones on your HT Receiver or cable box if they're in a cabinet closed up below it.

The "hand waving shit" isn't working because this isn't the Xbox 360. You aren't supposed to wave your hand for Kinect to detect you, that actually makes Kinect NOT detect your hand. Just hold it up there and leave it in mid-air for a while, than your hand will work.

Doesn't work for me. I have resigned myself that motion controls just don't work.

malfcn

Ghosts chugs the machine :(
Trying to go to achievements or friends freezes everything up.

A couple of times I got "Things are taking too long, try again later." messages.
Is it Ghosts or something else that is slugging everything up?

Giggzy

are you high fiving every time the tardis breaks or what?

I giggled.

I bought DR3 after debating between that and Ryse. I'm pleasantly happy with the choice. The graphics aren't that great, but oh my the amount of zombies on the screen is absolutely amazing. Truly next gen if I must say.

Ouch!

Well, my daughters Xbone disk drive is broken. She downloaded DR3 a month ago (worked great), she got a new game for Xmas, and it's making a grinding sound, disk is not going in all the way 90% of the time, and when the disk does go fully in, the Xbone is not recognizing the disk.

I bought hers at Best Buy on the 22nd of November, does anyone know If I still have time to return it to Best Buy for an exchange? I remember Best Buy having a policy years ago that when you buy electronics close enough to Xmas they give you until January 14th to return if something goes wrong.

Really hoping I don't have to ship this out to MS. :(

For a while I was mainly jumping between BF4(disc) and FIFA 14(digital). It was really nice to just launch between them without swapping. I borrowed DR3 from a friend and have been switching between Blu-ray and DR3 and BF4 and at this point digital really is looking to be the way to go. I really like the idea of only going near the disc drive for movies. So yeah, really wish MS had of stuck to their DRM guns. I love owning physical but the benefits of digital might just make me go that way. Obviously borrowing DR3 is an anomaly as I would have to switch it regardless, but it gave me a flavor of what's to come.

golem

I believe Microsoft has an option to ship you a replacement immediately.. they just put a hold against your credit card. Also they were giving away a free game for people with disc drive troubles so I would get the replacement through them anyways.

Giggzy

The disc drive plays DVDs right? I'm all digital so I haven't used the disc drive once. I've had my xbox for a couple weeks now so I should test it out and make sure it's okay

EBE

The disc drive plays DVDs right? I'm all digital so I haven't used the disc drive once. I've had my xbox for a couple weeks now so I should test it out and make sure it's okay

Yup. Gotta download the blu ray and music cd player apps though

Prophezz

Banned
Ouch!

Well, my daughters Xbone disk drive is broken. She downloaded DR3 a month ago (worked great), she got a new game for Xmas, and it's making a grinding sound, disk is not going in all the way 90% of the time, and when the disk does go fully in, the Xbone is not recognizing the disk.

I bought hers at Best Buy on the 22nd of November, does anyone know If I still have time to return it to Best Buy for an exchange? I remember Best Buy having a policy years ago that when you buy electronics close enough to Xmas they give you until January 14th to return if something goes wrong.

Not too positive on BB's policy but if you can Microsoft explaining your situation with the broken disc drive, I believe they can send you a new console without you having to ship the broken console beforehand. They will need your credit card on file since they are still expecting the broken console (which you can ship after you receive the new console). Haven't done this personally but this is from what I've gathered from other people's experience.

Hope this helps!

XJF

Got mine today. I really like it. I'll be picking up Forza tomorrow. However, I realized that besides Forza there aren't any games for it that I like until Titanfall. I already have COD, BF4, and NFS for my PS4.

Heretic

Just return it in that case. You seem to have came in believing you were going to hate it

I don't see why you asked your Girlfriend to spend $500 on a system you seem to have been set on "It's undesirable, I'll wait for exclusives." You seemed pretty happy with your PS4 and PC, why have that money be wasted? Should of held off until they got exclusives you wanted.

Anyways, if you plan to keeping this things, some advice.

Calibrate your Kinect, and put your TV volume higher than normal when calibrating. Voice Commands work perfectly for me when it's calibrated. Also, you aren't supposed to fucking yell at the thing haha. That makes it even more inaccurate. You're messing up there.

The "hand waving shit" isn't working because this isn't the Xbox 360. You aren't supposed to wave your hand for Kinect to detect you, that actually makes Kinect NOT detect your hand. Just hold it up there and leave it in mid-air for a while, than your hand will work.

It boots up slowly upon Cold-boot, yes. But who cares, you aren't supposed to turn the system off. Select it to be on "Insta-On", so it's always in Stand-by. As a PC gamer, you most likely don't turn your PC off, so you should be used to this. Boots up in like 5 seconds with Insta-On.

The Sticks, Bumpers, and Triggers is your opinion and I won't argue it, but are you sure you're using the controller right? You're supposed to roll your finger off the Trigger and into the Bumper, and it works lovely. I love the Sticks/Bumpers/Triggers and think they're the best I've ever used, but that's just me.

Also, make sure to study up with the voice commands, so you make sure the Kinect works like it's suppose to, and it isn't user failure on your part for not using the proper commands.

Xbox-One-Voice-Commands-Cheat-Sheet-1024x791.png

Also, remorse for something you didn't buy? :p

Amazing.

Exokell

Banned
beside the digging of my old posts and proving something I dont know, your reply was really helpful. Ive been shouting some nonsense at my tv today lol and waving my arm crazy. Just tried your tips and it worked. Thanks again :)

Anyway beside the dpad, xbox 360 controller is still superior. Bigger sticks, bumper easier to reach and easier to press and triggers feel deeper.

I really wish voice commands worked all the time...well whatever I really dont like this shouting at TV thing.

The Flash

Banned
I'm wondering if I should get Forza 5 now. I haven't played a racing game in any serious fashion since Podracer on N64. Game looks really pretty and Adam Sessler's review made it sound really inviting.

Bgamer90

Banned
beside the digging of my old posts and proving something I dont know, your reply was really helpful. Ive been shouting some nonsense at my tv today lol and waving my arm crazy. Just tried your tips and it worked. Thanks again :)

Haha -- nice.

Anyway beside the dpad, xbox 360 controller is still superior. Bigger sticks, bumper easier to reach and easier to press and triggers feel deeper.

Disagree. Bumpers should be as easy as they were on the 360 if you got the mid section of your fingers on the bumpers instead of your fingertips.

After a month with the Xbox One Controller it's really hard to go back to the 360 controller. The controllers don't feel too different at first but once you get used to the XB1 controller, the 360 controller feels very cheap and stiff IMO.

I really wish voice commands worked all the time...well whatever I really dont like this shouting at TV thing.

You shouldn't have to shout at all. Might need to calibrate it again & turn up the volume some more.

Has anyone else found themselves buying games purely to have something to play, because of the "launch" period? I normally, wouldn't buy games like Dead Rising 3/Peggle/Max, but lately I found myself buying everything just so I have things to play while I wait for Halo 5 Titan Fall.

llaannccee

Playing peggle 2 and halo spartan assault. 3 times now the games have closed and kicked me back to the dashboard. Not crashed. Any Fixes? Anybody else have this problem?

Also add me as a friend please. Gamertag LLAANNCCEE.

Has anyone else found themselves buying games purely to have something to play, because of the "launch" period? I normally, wouldn't buy games like Dead Rising 3/Peggle/Max, but lately I found myself buying everything just so I have things to play while I wait for Halo 5 Titan Fall.

Definitely. After buying the system with Ryse, Forza 5 and AC4, it was so hard to go back to the 360 to play some of my older games. I've picked up COD, DeadRising 3, and Zoo Tycoon to keep giving me and the wife something to play.

Also, amazing post on the last page. *rockclapping.gif*

Cynn

Got mine today. I really like it. I'll be picking up Forza tomorrow. However, I realized that besides Forza there aren't any games for it that I like until Titanfall. I already have COD, BF4, and NFS for my PS4.

I also get my multiplats on PS4 and Titanfall will be my excuse to use the X1 again. You should try Dead Rising though. It's ugly but fun. I can relate to that.

Not too positive on BB's policy but if you can Microsoft explaining your situation with the broken disc drive, I believe they can send you a new console without you having to ship the broken console beforehand. They will need your credit card on file since they are still expecting the broken console (which you can ship after you receive the new console). Haven't done this personally but this is from what I've gathered from other people's experience.

Hope this helps!

I believe Microsoft has an option to ship you a replacement immediately.. they just put a hold against your credit card. Also they were giving away a free game for people with disc drive troubles so I would get the replacement through them anyways.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the responses!

Well, I found out that Best Buy does do even exchanges for products bought as gifts after November 3rd up until January 15th (and yes, this was her X-Mas gift given to her early, didn't want her to be left out at launch! haha).

The FREE game sounds awesome though! I think I may just go through MS if they are still doing this, especially since I got my daughter the Day One Edition, and I'm sure Best Buy will just hand me an Ugly Green Box Xbone in exchange. My 17 yr old daughter LOVES her day one edition Controller, makes her feel special having that "Day One" on her controller.

Again, thanks!

Alx

That's one thing I miss from the old kinect : waving at it was very intuitive (and fun), and when you were doing it you knew it was tracking your gesture and about to activate the hand cursor, thanks to the bended arrow icon.
With the new one you just hold your hand out with no visual feedback, hoping that it will work (and sometimes it doesn't, although trying to do it from the depth of an "egg" chair is probably not a good idea).

Seriously debating picking up an Xbox One, have about 400 dollars of gift cards at Gamestop and was eventually gonna buy one so I am thinking why not take the plunge now. I already own a PS4, does anyone who owns both think it's worth picking up right now? Only real game I'm interested in playing right now is Dead Rising 3 and giving a Ryse a spin.

jem0208

Already saw it, but thanks!!

On videos and things I've seen when the X1 boots up it says "Hi, Mark" or "Hi, [player name]", how do I make mine do that?

Have you got it set up so that Kinect can auto sign you in? If not go to settings and enable it. It'll sign you in when you switch the Xbox on and the welcome screen will appear.

Top Bottom