• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X Review Thread

solis74

Wow, that's a sizeable difference even for 1080p TV owners

ZkNM0oA.png

gsZvwS2.png

nQ0RRN4.png

gVdP7XC.png

Keep in mind, this is for 1080p owners. The difference is a lot bigger than I thought.

yeps

AmyS

Or, of course, option 3- skip these machines altogether, I'm more or less fine playing games on my existing maches and why invest $400-500 on a machine that has maybe 2 years left, and I'm guessing PS5 is due around 2019.

Part of me wonders though, if PS5 will end up being Xbox One X- like in terms of specs (basically true 4k) and then the X will just become the new standard for the Xbox lineand they will just start making new games exclusive for that hardware and stop supporting the OG Xbox One.

So you wonder ifPS5 might end up being 40% more powerful than PS4 Pro in terms of GPU, use an enhanced Jaguar CPU at higher clock and have 12 GB RAM, thus being like Xbox One X in specs? It would be just absurd if that happened.

I think PS5 GPU will be at least twice as powerful as Xbox One X (thus, 12+ TFlops) it will use a whole class of CPU (Zen family thus much higher IPC) with significantly more & faster RAM, launching Holiday 2020. The future Xbox would launch either at the same time with roughly equal specs, or 1 year later with better specs. They will become the new standard PlayStation and Xbox consoles. Neither PS4 Pro nor Xbox One X will become the default consoles that developers build games on.

Next generation visuals isn't only 4K pixel resolution. Games will have significantly more complex graphics regardless of resolution. Not to mention more advanced physics, world simulation and size in open world games. They will need hardware very significantly beyond what Xbox One X is capable of.

Adam_802

Xbox is in a good spot now. They have games in the pipeline of course, just dont want to announce too early as they've done before. Remember a few years ago when even sony was admitting ps4 had a "Sparse" lineup? (Bc it dd.) Just takes a few good game releases and the narrative changes so easily. And no guys, xbox one doesn't have to sell 70+M consoles and "win" this gen to be successful overall. Xbox will go on, get future exclusives, and continue to sell fine as they have been. Every console has a drought. With the best hardware, Xbox now has a good foundation to facilitate future games, as well as the best console versions of multiplats. And funny how sony now says specs dont matter after the last 4 years of preaching otherwise. Again, narrative changes. And if xbox leads on sales next gen, im sure you'd see sony downplaying sales as well. MS has a degree of engineering/"pride" in the X that they really didnt have with the original 2013 XB1. Anyway, have my Scorpio Edition pre-ordered from Best Buy, cant wait for the 7th!!

Green Yoshi

Maybe because multi-plats are the majority of games out there, and X1X is the best place to play them?

If you want to play current titles like Assassin's Creed Origins and Shadows of War with 60 fps you still need a PC.

In 2019 we will probably have consoles with decent CPUs, so perhaps it's better to wait.

Malcolm9

Xbox is in a good spot now. They have games in the pipeline of course, just dont want to announce too early as they've done before. Remember a few years ago when even sony was admitting ps4 had a "Sparse" lineup? (Bc it dd.) Just takes a few good game releases and the narrative changes so easily. And no guys, xbox one doesn't have to sell 70+M consoles and "win" this gen to be successful overall. Xbox will go on, get future exclusives, and continue to sell fine as they have been. Every console has a drought. With the best hardware, Xbox now has a good foundation to facilitate future games, as well as the best console versions of multiplats. And funny how sony now says specs dont matter after the last 4 years of preaching otherwise. Again, narrative changes. And if xbox leads on sales next gen, im sure you'd see sony downplaying sales as well. MS has a degree of engineering/"pride" in the X that they really didnt have with the original 2013 XB1. Anyway, have my Scorpio Edition pre-ordered from Best Buy, cant wait for the 7th!!

Where have Sony said specs don't matter?

In regards to exclusives MS are still far behind, and i can't see that changing. Just having multi platform titles looking better is not a massive draw for the price of the X.

Unless Sony drop a massive clanger with the PS5 (like they did with the PS3 release) then I can't ever see MS leading with console sales.

ACH1LL3US

If you want to play current titles like Assassin's Creed Origins and Shadows of War with 60 fps you still need a PC.

In 2019 we will probably have consoles with decent CPUs, so perhaps it's better to wait.

Next Gen isn't happening until 2020 imho. I would be shocked if Sony or Microsoft went Next Gen in 2019.

Carn82

Wow, those 1080p shots look great. I really really really hope that system-level downsampling becomes the standard if you hook up those screens to whatever next-gen console.

To be honest, if Sony and MS are clever they`ll probably mimic the current architecture; as in, for example slap two Raven Ridge APUs (zen cpu cores vega cu) together and beef up the clockcycles (because of the higher TDP) and spice things up with some Zen2 cpu features and Navi-stuff for the gpu. This would be a major leap compared to the 'current' X1/PS4 Jaguar platform, but it will still be 'Laptop' tech compared to dedicated PC desktop CPUs and GPUs.

But it will be a much better higher specced baseline compared to what they did this gen.

Fbh

Gold Member
Sounds like what I wanted the Pro to be instead of a basic 1440p upgrade machine :/

Not going to get one as I do have a PC that can run all MS exclusoces. But it seems like a cool system

To dismiss games wholesale as "not exclusive" on the Xbox because they can also be played on the PC is pretty disingenuous. Not everybody has or wants a PC, not everybody that has one has a good gaming PC, and not everybody that has a good gaming PC actually prefers gaming on a PC over a console.

To the majority of people, the likes of Forza, Forza Horizon, Halo, Gears, Quantum Break, Ryse, Titanfall, Ori, Sunset Overdrive etc ARE exclusive to the Xbox, quite simply because they cannot be played on the PS or Nintendo.

It is not that everybody would want to play on a PC over the XB1 X. It is that a significant percentage of the XB1 X potential audience would. A lot of those people you allude to who prefer Xbox also have no problem owning the XB1 S. With a $500 price tag, the X's main selling point is performance. However if performance is what you value, then you'd be more tempted buy a PC. To get the X you have to be in a middle ground where you are relatively price insensitive and are willing to chase performance, but not so much to go all the way to the PC.

The X will definitely sell consoles. There are people for who money is no object so they will buy the best of everything. There are others who simply like the form factor and ease of a console better on their living room big screen 4K TV. The question is how many people does that represent?

The X will definitely sell consoles. There are people for who money is no object so they will buy the best of everything. There are others who simply like the form factor and ease of a console better on their living room big screen 4K TV. The question is how many people does that represent?

For older gamers...quite a few.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
If I had a xb1 OG or S, then day 1.

As I have a Pro, not really worth it.

Not changing console again until we get a Ryzen console and a 60 FPS capable console for those 30 FPS games.

Biggest changer and noticable improvement for me for Pro or Xb1X is HDR if you have a capable TV>

If you dont have an HDR TV, then I would not bother, unless your TV is bloody huge (at 55 inch and 8feet, its noticable but not wow different).

I have a middle of the range Panasonic 4k 50 inch tv with HDR, however the HDR aint that good on it and I prefer to leave it with SDR.

But your saying the increased res, higher settings and better textures dont account to anything?

Using your logic ppl might as well get an x1s.

While im typing this I've just been playing titanfall 2 on xbox one fat and im very impressed by the visuals given that its like 900p, but a resolution that's over 4x higher and better textures has to make quite the difference in overall calrity and sharpness.

Also why did you get a pro if HDR is the only benefit? Og PS4 has HDR?

For older gamers...quite a few.

20 percent of new PlayStation 4 purchases are the Pro. I expect a similar percent for Xbox and the X. On one hand it could be more because there is a bigger power disparity between the base model and the X which would better justify the upgrade. On the other hand it'd be less because at $500 the price tag is significantly more than the Pro. In the end those influences should cancel each other out leaving the original 20% I suggested.

geordiemp

I have a middle of the range Panasonic 4k 50 inch tv with HDR, however the HDR aint that good on it and I prefer to leave it with SDR.

But your saying the increased res, higher settings and better textures dont account to anything?

Using your logic ppl might as well get an x1s.

While im typing this I've just been playing titanfall 2 on xbox one fat and im very impressed by the visuals given that its like 900p, but a resolution that's over 4x higher and better textures has to make quite the difference in overall calrity and sharpness.

Also why did you get a pro if HDR is the only benefit? Og PS4 has HDR?

I got a pro for the 1.8 to 2.1 CPU (better stable frame rates) but hardly a 30 to 60 bump, 1600p / 1800p / 2160cb all looks very similar. I hada feeling about this before I bought pro, was on GAF daily praying for Ryzen and Witcher3 at 60 FPS (maybe next gen)....

I also have a Panny 802b 50 inch 4K, and resolution was not that exciting over 1080p. 55 inch LG B7 and I still dont care about 1600 or 1800 or 2160, HDR really stands out against jet blacks though and suprised me allot, and is more the TV quality of a top end 2017 model I guess....and there are a few OG Ps4 60 FPS titles that are 900p which is no good..

If I was xb1 900p then yeah, thats soft as hell, day 1 xb1X - my logic is that 1440p seems to be the sweetspot for noticing resoolution on 50 -55 inches at 8ft.

But once you get to 1440p its who gives a crap (been playing on 4k for almost a year now and kinda stoped looking at res differences in games after a month).

Give it a few months, you also wont care about 1800p vs 2160p and will be reading DF wondering if they managed to squeeze out 60 FPS from the jaguar and who cares about the ground texture 40 ft away that you cant see anyway unless DF are zoomed in on a screencap.

Both Xb1X and Pro are very imbalanced power consoles, I hope next gen we get mega CPU's, more faster memory and fast load times.

Nikodemos

The overall performance difference is considerable. Much greater than from PS4 to Pro.

I'd say that, unless one only intends to play his/her collection of 360 games, they are much better served by spending the extra dough on the X1X.

Freeman76

When this is 250 quid next year it is a must own upgrade from my xb1. Until then I will chill with that I have. By then MS might have pulled out a decent game or two.

Superkewl

I would wait until some X vs Pro third party comparisons are out to see what the difference is in the real world

Yeah, was going to preorder the X for the 1080p enhancements, but decided I want to see some real world examples before I shell out for it.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I got a pro for the 1.8 to 2.1 CPU (better stable frame rates) but hardly a 30 to 60 bump, 1600p / 1800p / 2160cb all looks very similar. I hada feeling about this before I bought pro, was on GAF daily praying for Ryzen and Witcher3 at 60 FPS (maybe next gen)....

I also have a Panny 802b 50 inch 4K, and resolution was not that exciting over 1080p. 55 inch LG B7 and I still dont care about 1600 or 1800 or 2160, HDR really stands out against jet blacks though and suprised me allot, and is more the TV quality of a top end 2017 model I guess....and there are a few OG Ps4 60 FPS titles that are 900p which is no good..

If I was xb1 900p then yeah, thats soft as hell, day 1 xb1X - my logic is that 1440p seems to be the sweetspot for noticing resoolution on 50 -55 inches at 8ft.

But once you get to 1440p its who gives a crap (been playing on 4k for almost a year now and kinda stoped looking at res differences in games after a month).

Give it a few months, you also wont care about 1800p vs 2160p and will be reading DF wondering if they managed to squeeze out 60 FPS from the jaguar and who cares about the ground texture 40 ft away that you cant see anyway unless DF are zoomed in on a screencap.

Both Xb1X and Pro are very imbalanced power consoles, I hope next gen we get mega CPU's, more faster memory and fast load times.

To be honest I could probably go the rest of the gen with the base x1 and ps4, but having a 4k tv it just bugs me that im not using it to its true potential, plus the enhanced 360 games is pretty sweet to, I wonder if I could snag an 1x for £399 on black friday?

They are in a better place than with Mattrick but I agree they really need some system sellers to get this thing off the shelves for people who aren't die hards.

We are four years into the system, what you are saying shouldn't be an issue but it seems it is. Not disagreeing with you at all btw.

ACH1LL3US

So I just got done watching a ton of reviews of the X on youtube and they all say that the 4k patches haven't hit yet.

So how can one review a 4k console with almost none of the 4k patches yet!?!

Funny enough pcworld was comparing the One X to their PC with 2 1080ti's.....

Arefu

Neo Member
A little disappointing that after all this hype they couldn't get Gears 4 campaign running at stable 1080p 60fps across the board.

At the very least, it's doing 4K 30fps extremely well

Because exclusives is not the deciding factor for everyone, I have many friends that only play multiplats and dont care about exclusives. I know a couple people who only play sports games and FPS, they don't like games like Horizon or Uncharted. So the best place to play multiplats will now be the Xbox One X.

Me

geordiemp

A little disappointing that after all this hype they couldn't get Gears 4 campaign running at stable 1080p 60fps across the board.

At the very least, it's doing 4K 30fps extremely well

Kinda expected - If MS has waited say 6 months and gone for 4 TB and a Ryzen......cooled and cloked to the max...

I would of sold my 2 pros in a heartbeat. I think MS jumped the gun a little IMO and went 4K over 60 FPS.

The marketing campaign would of been, 60 FPS gaming come home baby.

c0de

PCs readily exist in today's day and age.
They always existed and had better performance since many years, on top of cheaper game prices. Still millions bought and buy consoles and the most sold games on consoles are games you can play much better on PC. What was your point again?

Cheech

The difference in Oblivion is stunning. How on earth did they get an 11 year old game looking so good?!

I haven't looked forward to getting a console this badly in many years. Only wish I had it this weekend!

c0de

Unless patches come out, you won't play these games at 60fps on consoles.

kb8998

Neo Member
why would i buy a $500 console that has no games and by the time it gets a decent title or two the ps5 will come out with much better specs and hope

amdb00mer

Lol, ok buddy. That's HIGHLY, HIGHLY unlikely.

I would venture to say that a majority of CONSOLE players, still don't even know what that game is. It's been a very quiet powerhouse on the PC.

I have to agree with you Tackleberry. I think PUBG will do ok on Xbox, but it will not sell 20 million Xbox systems.

Top Bottom