• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Teasing an interview with Phil from a French journalist

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Here in my country there is a huge price difference between the XBS and XBX. Xbox One S is a good, cheap option to people who want a Xbox.

Same in my country. But still, releasing the rumored Lockhart would be so much better idea IMO. The question is whether Lockhart is happening or not, because if it is, that woulkd mean there will be 1S, XSS, and XSX on the market, so wither way that's still a mess even after discontinuing the 1X.

SleepDoctor

Banned

You just tainted this thread. How dare you bring that in here.

We're about to cancel you from your own ot 🙄🙄

Bernkastel

I decided to take a peek in the next-gen speculation thread. What a horrible idea. It's a shitshow of epic proportions. There are people seriously believing that the Horizon trailer wasn't CGI...
Lets keep this discussion relevant to Xbox. Halo Infinite is next gen no matter what anyone tells. If it looks like a next gen game(no seriously it looks gorgeous), is appearing on a next gen console and has a new engine built for next gen, then it is a next gen game.

TBiddy

Lets keep this discussion relevant to Xbox. Halo Infinite is next gen no matter what anyone tells. If it looks like a next gen game(no seriously it looks gorgeous), is appearing on a next gen console and has a new engine built for next gen, then it is a next gen game.

You're right. I was only pointing out the Horizon thing, since people were comparing it to gameplay shots from Halo. And you're right. No way in hell is Halo going to look like an upscaled current gen game.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I'm with you. All signs are pointing to it. I look forward to seeing how this will be spun as a negative here.

Sony fans (mainly on NeoGaf) suddenly care about how profitable a company is and are willing to pay for shit that they really shouldn't be (BC and remasters).

So the argument will probably be something like:
M$: -$60 per year
Sony: $60 per year.

Sony wins.

I'm pumped for free MP tho and hope that Sony will do the same so I can use both consoles when I eventually buy them.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Dropping Xbox live paywall would be a massive deal. The sheer number of people that purchase a console based on this is crazy, but if they still offer a gamepass cheaper alternative too, that essentially means free online and (perceptually) free games, for life, just by purchasing your console and a small payment. That kinda thing sticks in mummy and daddies heads when they visit the shops for birthdays and stuff.

I’m not sure I believe it will happen though. It could just be a lower price combo of all of them in one package. Win win either way.

Bernkastel

Interesting Read

Indeed a lot of Gold revenue goes into those free games. Standard Gold Members will be converted to Game Pass users. Gold Deals will be bundled into Game Pass Ultimate. Removing online paywall will be a huge selling point for Xbox.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
If so, they would have to market the shit out of it before next Fifa and CoD launch, because once people jump onto PS5 it'll be already too late, once they have spend 400-500$ on the console and another 60-120$ on games they won't be switching back on XBX just for the free online, they're already used to paying for PSPlus for the past decade or so, so they couldn't bother less once they already have a console and games in their hands. Besides, the upcoming show is all about the games, no info, no news, no nothing, so that leaves them even less time to build up the mindshare of free online before it's too late.

Bernkastel

If so, they would have to market the shit out of it before next Fifa and CoD launch, because once people jump onto PS5 it'll be already too late, once they have spend 400-500$ on the console and another 60-120$ on games they won't be switching back on XBX just for the free online, they're already used to paying for PSPlus for the past decade or so, so they couldn't bother less once they already have a console and games in their hands. Besides, the upcoming show is all about the games, no info, no news, no nothing, so that leaves them even less time to build up the mindshare of free online before it's too late.
What if they announce it in August ? Honestly I dont want Microsoft to win next gen. If they wont, it means they will keep being more pro-consumer. Its not like Xbox is in a bad state financially, they are doing fine. But the gap will be closer this gen.

Bernkastel

“But you know, we also have Halo. The last time we had Halo at the launch of a console was 2001. And we feel really good about Halo. It’ll be a big part in the [Xbox Series X Game Showcase on July 23].”
Spencer didn’t offer much in the way of details on the next Halo game — it’s said to be a major focus of Microsoft’s game showcase this week — but he did offer an intriguing hint about Halo Infinite’s “structure” and some lessons learned from from Halo: The Master Chief Collection, the six-game compilation that’s still rolling out new games on PC.
“There’s been a ton of learning in the studio around what does it mean to actually have a collection, the kind of totality of the Halo lore and stories and experience inside of one Halo world, one Halo UI, and platform,” Spencer said. “As 343 has gone through this journey, they’ve seen some of the benefits of not requiring that our customers make a decision between ‘Do I want to play this one or that one?’ I feel like in a way, the games almost compete with each other. You see that with some of the annualized franchises that are out there — which clearly Halo’s not annualized — but you see that where you spend a lot of energy actually trying to move the customers who are already playing your game to a new version of your game. I think as gaming has evolved, there’s a view of ‘Our customers are our customers and we should respect them where they are.’ It’s similar to our Xbox message, and I think you’ll see that in terms of the way Infinite is talked about — even the structure of what the game is itself.”
“We had a unique opportunity with The Initiative that Darrell Gallagher, who’s obviously had a lot of success in the industry [at Crystal Dynamics, Square Enix, and Activision], became available. And we thought, where can we build the studio, which we haven’t done in a while? And how would this work? [...] And what does it mean to build a studio in a location that we really haven’t had a presence? I think you’ve seen some of the hires that Darrell’s made, where there’s just a lot of activity in that area where we can hire really great talent. We decided, let’s try something new. We’ve got these big franchises. They sort of have their own way of doing something. We acquired some studios that came with their own culture. How do we start something from ground zero?

Last edited:
Top Bottom