• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Store Countdown to 2017 Sale Thread - includes daily and weekly offers

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Its all about install base. The more potential buyers you have, the lower the price can be and still make the same or more amount of money.

I can't believe that's the case. If publishers were only concerned with earning X amount per platform there'd be a discrepancy from launch.

I can imagine it's more likely that they try to get the most that the market will bear. There's probably more likelyhood of reducing titles that won't sell under normal circumstances, surely?

Chris1

I can't believe that's the case. If publishers were only concerned with earning X amount per platform there'd be a discrepancy from launch.

I can imagine it's more likely that they try to get the most that the market will bear. There's probably more likelyhood of reducing titles that won't sell under normal circumstances, surely?

I had a convo with this about Quesmo(I don't remember his name but you probably know who I'm talking about) and he said it probably comes down to less sales on XB1 means lowering the price might hurt them as the additional sales won't offset the price drop.

However I still think part of it is that MS is a US focused company and deal in USD. For example when setting prices originally, a lot of the time they just deal in USD and convert the rest of the regions. There are some cases where this isn't the case (Witcher 3 for example, but I think you need to specifically request other regions and I think that a lot of publishers/developers just let MS do the converting from USD). I think that because MS deals in USD, publishers just go to them and say "we'd like to lower the RRP to $30" without thinking about other regions (maybe assuming they will convert?) and they do that, but they don't change the other regions to go along with it. Sony on the other hand has departments in EU, JP and USA so they need to get separate prices for all 3 regions.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Question about Book of Unwritten Tales 2. Do I need to play the first one at all, or is it fine for jumping in?

Also, how obtuse are the puzzles in this? I really enjoyed the new kings quest for its streamlined simplicity, but i have a feeling this is far more old school

I had a convo with this about Quesmo(I don't remember his name but you probably know who I'm talking about) and he said it probably comes down to less sales on XB1 means lowering the price might hurt them as the additional sales won't offset the price drop.

However I still think part of it is that MS is a US focused company and deal in USD. For example when setting prices originally, a lot of the time they just deal in USD and convert the rest of the regions. There are some cases where this isn't the case (Witcher 3 for example, but I think you need to specifically request other regions and I think that a lot of publishers/developers just let MS do the converting from USD). I think that because MS deals in USD, publishers just go to them and say "we'd like to lower the RRP to $30" without thinking about other regions (maybe assuming they will convert?) and they do that, but they don't change the other regions to go along with it. Sony on the other hand has departments in EU, JP and USA so they need to get separate prices for all 3 regions.

Example:

Mad Max

SRP US Store: 19.99 $
SRP European Store: 69.99 €
Cheapest US Price: 11.99 $
Cheapest European Price: 41.99 €
SRP PSN Europe: 69.99 €
Cheapest PSN Price in Europe: 14.99 €

Ok...Warner is the worst publisher in this case but others do the same. As mentioned in my previous post EA is a bit more balanced.

I know the Microsoft console is dead in this country but with prices and sales like these Microsoft will never compete here.

Where do you find sales on the Xbone dash? Im so confused.

There should be a tile on the home screen.

jelly

I doubt enough users would even know about the price differences in their platform bubble. It looks like a deal to them but a bad one to more informed. Still, a weird discrepancy. Why would a publishers need to make such different distinctions. Do they know particular users will bite or something.

Prices have creeped up a bit on the same old titles, I know BC adds to it but others aren't even as cheap as they use to be. Not sure why but I've seen enough sales to notice the prices have gone up.

Where do you find sales on the Xbone dash? Im so confused.
There should always be a "Gold" tile on your main dashboard that shows the free games to download if you have gold as well as the games that are on sale if you have gold.

This massive sale specifically should have its own tile on the dashboard that says "Holiday" or something like that. If you don't find it there navigate to the main store page and there should be a massive tile about the Holiday sale. Like impossible to miss kind of deal. Clicking on either of those will display all of the holiday sales in one comprehensive list.

jem0208

I hate sales with daily deals because there's no point buying a game until the last day incase it goes for even less later on.

While I agree that the dailies have been disappointing in comparison to previous years, in my opinion the first week of regular countdown sales has been great. I've bought 4 games so far. And if XCOM 2 goes on sale during week 2 I'll probably get that as well. Though I can understand that the sales are not very good in other regions, which is a bummer.

I hate sales with daily deals because there's no point buying a game until the last day incase it goes for even less later on.

At least regarding Xbox, as far as I can recall, there has never been an instance where a game has been part of the regular countdown sale, then is a daily sale for an even larger discount during the same sale period

Kill3r7

That is why they do not put games that are currently on sale as part of the daily deals. Thus you don't have to worry about it.

Varg

Banned
So many 360 titles I would love to snatch I hope they go on sale for week 2 . This looking for group and clubs stuff is breathing new life into these 360 multiplayer games. Playing bomberman live again has been fantastic. I'm eyeing shadowrun, fable 3, , blue dragon , and rare replay myself . Hopefully week 2 delivers .

shandy706

The problem is that competing gaming networks have better sales in the same regions.

For some reason Sony is offering better deals in Europe than Microsoft. If publishers have complete control over pricing then the question would be: Do publishers hate European Xbox players?

For example:

Batman Arkham Knight Premium Edition:
Cheapest sale price on PSN: 19.99 €
Cheapest sale price on XBL: 44.99 €

There are some really big differences and not only Warner is doing this.

Even Microsoft sucks at deals. Examples:

Kinect Sports Rivals
Europe: 23.10 €
US: 9.90 $

Halo 5 Deluxe
Europe: 49.50 €
US: 35.00 $

For some reason SRP aren't adjusted in European Xbox stores. Batman AK Premium is still 109.99 € on Xbox but 79.99 € on PS4.

I've been comparing sales for a while now and I only noticed two pulishers with higher sale prices on PSN. Ubisoft and EA.
The difference isn't hat big compared to the others however.

Other gaming networks also have bigger sales and these happen more often.

That sucks. No idea why they don't discount like they do in the US. I paid $16 for digital Arkham Knight just a few weeks ago on X1. Wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

bobkin

Neo Member
Yeah when does week 2 start. The psn sale is great this week so I'm hoping for watch dogs 2 deluxe and diablo at a good price so I don't have to buy them there. I have credit just waiting to be used lol

Justinh

Yeah when does week 2 start. The psn sale is great this week so I'm hoping for watch dogs 2 deluxe and diablo at a good price so I don't have to buy them there. I have credit just waiting to be used lol
The 29th, I think.
currently on the page for deals.
HJG89nr.jpg

Hopefully they will give Bayonetta a nice discount and save this sale. That's all we need MS!
From what I understand, it has never been on sale on Xbox Live so it'd certainly be nice.

The only things I've bought in the last week was Dark Souls 3 (which I kind of regret, since I already have it physically), and... Blue Dragon (I should've waited until next week at least)

rapid32.5

couldn't find GTAIV on Microsoft's site. where do you locate 360 games if you don't have a 360 and want to buy them ? MS did a bad job with the store and game sale ads on XBO. It's a pain in the neck to know what game is on sale or discounted again.

Hugstable

Banned
Is there a chance Skyrim could show up as a Week 2 daily? Will it still be on sale for $40 through Week 2 or should I just get it now?

40$ is probably the cheapest it's gonna go for this sale, so I'd say go for it if you're really wanting to play it. Same price on PSN as well and I don't see Microsoft repeating dailies of games that were on the weekly sale but for a lower price.

Lucifon

Damn for some reason I thought the next week of sales would appear this afternoon but it's tomorrow afternoon. Really want to grab Siege, Bully and the Jackbox packs.

The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 - $19.99 > $5.00

And its £6 in the UK store. Fuck this shit!

It's stupid but just grab it from the US store or a better priced region store :)

Randy5554

Week 2 deals will show up tomorrow, about 27 hours from now.
So there might be a slight overlap where both the week 1 and week 2 deals are available? I guess I should just go ahead and grab the 3 or 4 titles from week 1 I am interested in just in case.

sam777

So there might be a slight overlap where both the week 1 and week 2 deals are available? I guess I should just go ahead and grab the 3 or 4 titles from week 1 I am interested in just in case.

There should be an overlap, so you would be okay waiting another 24 hours, to see week 2's offerings.

Nephtes

Well, I got some Xbox money for Christmas and I know I said FFXV was going to be the first Final Fantasy I skipped... But this morning I totally broke down and bought Final Fantasy One Direction Boy Band Simulator XV on sale...

I am so disappoint in myself.

MauroNL

Daily Deal December 28
Xbox One
• EA Sports Rory Mcllroy PGA Tour - $29.99 > $9.90
• Batman - The Telltale Series Episode 1 - $9.99 > Free
• Batman - The Telltale Series Season Pass - $19.99 > $10.00

Mrbob

Daily Deal December 28
Xbox One
These daily deals are a bit dumb. Rory PGA Tour is 9.90 in PSN all week yet it is a daily on xb1. Not to mention the dailies have been weak in general.

oti

Banned
Well, I got some Xbox money for Christmas and I know I said FFXV was going to be the first Final Fantasy I skipped... But this morning I totally broke down and bought Final Fantasy One Direction Boy Band Simulator XV on sale...

I am so disappoint in myself.

It's a good game.

sam777

The Telltale Batman season pass (2-5) is 50% off as well. Never buy a Telltale game at full price, glad I waited.

These daily deals are literally the worst I've seen.

Fortunately the other deals seem decent enough.

Thinking of picking up Titanfall 2, Metal Gear 5, and maybe Final Fantasy XV.

Bravoexo

Bought Blue Dragon...I'm happy. I remember only playing the demo a long long time ago. this plus some time into the free Lost Odyssey, should be a good filler for RPG for me.

Sizzle55

Daily Deal December 28
Xbox One
What is happening! PGA is always on special as well as being free for EA Access for at least six months. Batman has been free before ( though I will buy the season pass as it's 50% off ATM) this is beyond a joke st this point.

I'm assuming the entire series being on sale is the deal of the day but they put the free first episode there to entice casuals into clicking .
Ya the actual daily is $10 for season pass which I'll probably grab. Been waiting for a sale. I NEVER buy telltale games at launch now. They always discount the season pass before the whole season is ever out anyways haha

What is happening! PGA is always on special as well as being free for EA Access for at least six months. Batman has been free before ( though I will buy the season pass as it's 50% off ATM) this is beyond a joke st this point.
The actual deal is 50% off for the rest of the episodes which IMO is actually decent. This is the first thing I think is buying this sale

Also, PGA being free for EA Access means nothing. $10 for non-members isn't too bad. I would assume they will sell a decent amount of that

Though the dailies haven't grabbed my attention, already happy having nabbed:

The Witness
Batman: Arkham Knight (with all DLC)
Hitman (Complete First Season)
Oxenfree
Ori And The Blind Forest (Definitive Edition)

Tempted to nab Dishonored 2 or Titanfall 2 but might wait to see if Rise Of The Tomb Raider hits a sale first.

MarkusRJR

Have any of you guys/gals had issues with buying Movies/TV through Xbox/Windows?

I have a sizable collection and have been trying to get my PC to play them (since there's no Xbox in the family's setup), but the Windows 10 app keeps telling me its having problems "restoring my collection". My family is together for the holidays and we're all getting annoyed that we can't get any of the movies/TV shows working. MS support just told me to reinstall Windows, but I've since tried it through 3 different PCs and all of them give me the same error.

I was planning on buying some movies to watch with family through this sale but nothing works.

Amazon has some decent sales on digital copies too

Lara Croft Temple of Osiris $5
Thief $5 if you missed it in Gwg
Tomb Raider DE $7.50 if you missed it on Gwg
Arkham Knight Premium (Includes season pass) $20

CD Keys has
Zoo Tycoon for $10
MCC $7.50
AC Unity $1.89
(I know these prices have been here forever but still awesome deals for new owners!)

Top Bottom