• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

epmode

Aww poop.

My dreams of ambushing people through the ceilings... crushed. Hopefully mods will fix this.

I used to do that all the time in the original so I'll be just as disappointed. However, it was just a regular grenade and it was a concrete roof so maybe it just wasn't a strong enough blast. If an alien grenade or blaster bomb doesn't take out at least two floors...

Mupod

I thew a regular grenade onto the roof of the first building you see. The inside of the building was damaged but the roof stayed intact. It's kind of disappointing if floor/ceiling tiles are indestructable!

Damn, I've been meaning to try this myself for a while but keep forgetting. One of my favorite tactics in the original was blowing holes in ceilings and sending down flying suits. Maybe not the most tactically sound thing in big warehouses etc but who cares, it was badass. Hopefully we don't need to wait another 20 years for a sequel with more extensive destruction, although I have a feeling it was a gameplay related decision rather than a technical limitation.

As for the camera, doesn't bother me in the 3D Front Mission games and it won't bug me here. Plus it lets you see your soldiers up close more often - people always talk about getting attached to faceless soldiers in the original, but now they'll be much more individual and memorable.

Nocebo

Aww poop.

My dreams of ambushing people through the ceilings... crushed. Hopefully mods will fix this.
Yeah I used all my fire power on the roof, including the rocket but only the wall tiles around the roof got destroyed even though my guy was standing ontop of the roof, strangely enough. My other guys threw their grenades into the building itself but didn't get the roof to break either.

Jintor

Depends though, some components can break, generally nothing you can stand on though (at least during a fight, I think)

nice deal at amazon

so I was going to get a DD version, since its $45 though greenman coupon explictly says wont work on that so wont get the 25 pc off

then on amazon saw that the retail edition comes with artbook and some other goodies. but $60

I put it in the cart to see if I had received my $10 credit from a prior buy - I hadnt, but I noticed that you get a $15 credit for preordering. Its on the product page but hidden down the page vs normally being more prominant.

Sold!

garath

nice deal at amazon

so I was going to get a DD version, since its $45 though greenman coupon explictly says wont work on that so wont get the 25 pc off

then on amazon saw that the retail edition comes with artbook and some other goodies. but $60

I put it in the cart to see if I had received my $10 credit from a prior buy - I hadnt, but I noticed that you get a $15 credit for preordering. Its on the product page but hidden down the page vs normally being more prominant.

Sold!

Oh that's pretty neat. So you get the retail box (if that's your thing) for the same price as the DD.

Amazon has been on point with this stuff lately. Very nice.

Oh that's pretty neat. So you get the retail box (if that's your thing) for the same price as the DD.

Amazon has been on point with this stuff lately. Very nice.

yeah plus a physical 112 page art book (not digital), soundtrack poster

and as a prime owner, I get release day shipping for free

not that I need it launch day, I'm REALLY looking forward to dishonered

ref=amb_link_363209602_3

nice for $60 with $15 credit

so much for only buying dishonored launch week

epmode

Depends though, some components can break, generally nothing you can stand on though (at least during a fight, I think)

This is worse news than the no random maps thing, not jokes. Redecorating buildings with explosives was actually a valid tactic for dealing with certain enemies. Especially with a flying suit. Mod it pls.

Always wanted to get into the Xcom series when I was younger but I couldn't figure it out.

It's now time.

This, I had a friend that talk about this game to no end in school. All what he described, I imagined an amazing game, year after, looking on neogaf and not remembering the name of the game I found a game that was ver close to the description my friend gave me.
I saw some videos, and it seemed really good but never tried it myself.
No the time has come.

Liam, im playing this game at last!

BTW Awesome humoristic OP, congrats!

Sou

I think the reason this game feels like it has more focus on cover than the old game is because there is no TU system for movement. And it's not necessarily that you used to end your turn out in the open in the old game but you often ended your movement out in the open, usually to have a look around or take a shot and then continue your movement getting into cover.
Now you basically have to end your movement in cover. You can shoot from behind cover and around corners, which is not a bad thing of course, but your choices are limited in the new game. You either move far into cover, move into cover then shoot, move to cover and then move to the next bit of cover, or shoot from cover and not move. Not being able to move after a shot in the last case seems like a poor design decision to me. However, there's the run and gun and hopefully more perks like that.

In the old XCom you could move, potentially find an alien, shoot at it and then move into cover. The new XCom makes you think a lot more about where you move your guys because you can easily mess up a move and not have a way out, which makes things interesting in a way. On the other hand your movement choices feel less dynamic.

This is exactly what I was referring to. Not being able to split your move before and after the shot takes away a big part of the older game imo. Although such a sequence of actions is not possible with units who basically run out of TU after a shot, something that's been translated well into the new system; but later in the game, having units who have reached the TU progression requirement to do a variety of actions in one turn is what gave so much personality to each of your team members and depth in the teamwork aspect of the game.

The Run and Gun skill hints at the potential that instead of hard number TU progression, it's been simplified to individual skills that are obtained over bigger jumps of unit progression.

In the end though, I do have to agree that not being able to split the "move" segment of your turns into tile by tile "steps" essentially forces you to go from cover to cover, which takes away much of the tension in exploration metagame of the original.

pahamrick

This is exactly what I was referring to. Not being able to split your move before and after the shot takes away a big part of the older game imo. Although such a sequence of actions is not possible with units who basically run out of TU after a shot, something that's been translated well into the new system; but later in the game, having units who have reached the TU progression requirement to do a variety of actions in one turn is what gave so much personality to each of your team members and depth in the teamwork aspect of the game.

The Run and Gun skill hints at the potential that instead of hard number TU progression, it's been simplified to individual skills that are obtained over bigger jumps of unit progression.

In the end though, I do have to agree that not being able to split the "move" segment of your turns into tile by tile "steps" essentially forces you to go from cover to cover, which takes away much of the tension in exploration metagame of the original.

I'll be honest, I've been playing the original and haven't much liked the TU system. Probably just need to get deeper into the game first tho.

However, there is a skill one of the classes get in the new game that allows them to fire first without ending the turn. So you'd be able to shoot, then move with them. Something else to go along with Run & Gun.

garath

I just got finished watching the pretty long Gamespot let's play and what I'm seeing is the TU system has been completely replaced by the skills you get from promotions. Run and Gun (dash then shoot), Bulletstorm (I think it's called that, shoot THEN move) are just two that work along those lines and they are both really early skills.

So instead of the generic TU progression, you'll have classes that can do that sort of things well and classes that require more positioning before shooting (i.e. sniper) etc.

You'll still be able to argue that you prefer the move, shoot, move blanket ability for levelled up squad members but I think it's starting to border on just plain personal preference than any hard statement of loss of tactics/tension.

First post on NEOGAF. Just wanted to say CAN'T WAIT.

Also, anyone else going to go all Oregon Trail with this name their soldiers after friends/family? And instead of diarrhea killing my brother-in-law, maybe a sectoid will. Nice.

Also, in for Classic Ironman on PS3. :)

Anyone here going to name a female character after their wife, in the hopes of being able to swear vengeance after watching her die in a hail of alien plasma?!?! Or is something wrong with my relationship...

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Anyone here going to name a female character after their wife, in the hopes of being able to swear vengeance after watching her die in a hail of alien plasma?!?! Or is something wrong with my relationship...

There is something right with your relationship.

derFeef

Well no, since you are not deliberately sending her do death, I hope.

Hey i'm about to pull the trigger on a physical copy of Xcom but I have a question, can I still activate it through steam? Or...not so much?

I just really like having my games all in one place on my PC...so much simpler.....I'm a simpleton I know....

Mupod

Hey i'm about to pull the trigger on a physical copy of Xcom but I have a question, can I still activate it through steam? Or...not so much?

I just really like having my games all in one place on my PC...so much simpler.....I'm a simpleton I know....

It's steamworks so yeah.

well she is gonna die in real life and in the game

just likely sooner in game

Tu101uk

I believe so. I always get physical copies of Firaxis' Civilisation V and I still have to go through Steam. I believe the disc is a physical preinstall, if it's anything like that.

Plus the game is supposed to have Steamworks, so I'm assuming it has to go through Steam.

EDIT - Ninja'd...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
True Story: Jake Solomon voices Nathan Drake on the Uncharted Series

Mupod

I get off work Monday for Columbus day. This thing comes out Tuesday. Go figure.

Yeah monday is Thanksgiving for us Canadians. I don't know who decided games have to always come out in the middle of the damn week but I hate it. Sometimes I even go to bed as soon as I get home and sleep 'till 12 for Steam unlocks, which never ends well the next day but it's so painful sitting at work thinking I COULD BE PLAYING XCOM.

Tu101uk

You lucky North Americans... :( You're getting it 3 days before me (and other Europeans)...

Thankfully, because I changed my physical copy preorder just a few hours ago (GAME have the Special Edition now, instantly preordered), I'm sure to get it on (maybe even before) the 12th (Zavvi would have sent it off on the day T.T)...

Nocebo

Yeah monday is Thanksgiving for us Canadians. I don't know who decided games have to always come out in the middle of the damn week but I hate it. Sometimes I even go to bed as soon as I get home and sleep 'till 12 for Steam unlocks, which never ends well the next day but it's so painful sitting at work thinking I COULD BE PLAYING XCOM.
Oh cry me a river guys, research jetpack technology, build jetpacks with your engineering team and then get over it (the river... by flying... get it?). At least you don't have to wait till like thursday to unlock your copy. :(

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Haha all possible scenarios must be considered. Do you stay up past midnight on monday and just be dragging ass Tuesday? Take off work later in the week? Drive around Dallas all day monday and see if I can liberate a physical copy early? Go Fast and Furious on a UPS truck? What to do...

I feel for yall that have to wait 3 extra days. That sucks.

garath

Here's tonight's add. I thought reviews were dropping today...?

What a great video. First time I've heard about the real differences between normal and classic difficulty. I was originally going to start on normal ironman but now I'm thinking maybe classic non-ironman. I'm not enough of a sadist to start classic ironman from the get go.

Top Bottom