• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Tu101uk

Ok guys, where is the definitive place to buy this? Seems like Amazon adn Steam are offering the same deal?
They both have the Elite Soldier Pack DLC, but I do believe the TF2 extras and the free copy of Civ5 are Steam store exclusive.

If they're both the same price, the Steam one sounds like a no-brainer...

They both have the Elite Soldier Pack DLC, but I do believe the TF2 extras and the free copy of Civ5 are Steam store exclusive.

If they're both the same price, the Steam one sounds like a no-brainer...

Unless you want the goodies with the collectors edition, and a 15$ credit at Amazon..then obviously....Amazon...

I would have done the steam one, but I already have civ 5 and....i'm a sucker for physical copy goodies :D

Tu101uk

Unless you want the goodies with the collectors edition, and a 15$ credit at Amazon..then obviously....Amazon...

I would have done the steam one, but I already have civ 5 and....i'm a sucker for physical copy goodies :D
Oh of course, I just assumed they weren't talking about the Special Edition, seeing as they were comparing the Amazon deal to Steam's equivalent.

And yes, I'm also a sucker for physical copy goods. Everything that I've bought for Civilization V (Special Edition, GOTY Edition, Gods & Kings expansion) is all physical... :3 Hence why I changed the preorder... :D

Oh cry me a river guys, research jetpack technology, build jetpacks with your engineering team and then get over it (the river... by flying... get it?). At least you don't have to wait till like thursday to unlock your copy. :(

I'm American, I have it pre-ordered and will preload if such an option exists, and I anticipate maybe getting a couple hours in on Wednesday, and then probably not getting a chance to play again until Friday the 19th.

Feels bad man.

Nocebo

I'm American, I have it pre-ordered and will preload if such an option exists, and I anticipate maybe getting a couple hours in on Wednesday, and then probably not getting a chance to play again until Friday the 19th.

Feels bad man.
Woah, that's tough man :(
I hope you get to do something pleasant else during that period at least. :p

KPJZKC

Dan Stapleton • 16 hours ago •
"I'm not a big fan of Apocalypse, really. It's much more of a departure from the original an EU is."

...am I the only one that finds this to be a ridiculous statement?

EDIT - taken from comments of the link posted earlier here

Also I'm interested in what people here think of Apocalypse, personally I loved both games so I don't really get the anti-Apoc stance.

Mupod

"I'm not a big fan of Apocalypse, really. It's much more of a departure from the original an EU is."

Also I'm interested in what people here think of Apocalypse, personally I loved both games so I don't really get the anti-Apoc stance.

I think that I never played it because oh god it is so ugly I just want to lock it in a room and have my scientists dissect it so we can find better ways to kill it.

Hindle

Banned
So how do you finish this game? Is the end game unlocked once you've done a certain amount of missions or something like that.

Woah, that's tough man :(
I hope you get to do something pleasant else during that period at least. :p

Some drinking, some soccer (player and spectator), some fancy dinners, babysitting my nephews, and work. Not a horrendous two weeks, but painful knowing I'll have this installed on my machine.

Clevinger

I just couldn't get into Apocalypse. It had some really neat ideas, but a terrible execution, IMO.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Just rewatched the destruction mp battle and I loved the little strategy Jake used with the sectoid mindmeld + overwatch ( or w/e the thing that gives you vision is called ) + the sniper on the bus roof.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
One thing I'm still not clear on:

How do we judge the range of our weapons? Are all the non-sniper guns the same range? How do we know the minimum distance we need to move to be in range of an alien before we commit to a movement?

Jintor

How do we judge the range of our weapons? Are all the non-sniper guns the same range? How do we know the minimum distance we need to move to be in range of an alien before we commit to a movement?

I eyeball it. It works about 90% of the time - the range is pretty large.

Hit space bar, check the hit % chance I guess. If chance is zero, then you're out of range, hit Escape and move closer.

Jintor

I'm honestly scared of doing iron man classic for the LP

the pressure

it's one thing if it's my own pride on the line, but ending an LP in a glorious fireball called earth would really suck

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Jake's enthusiasm for the game is actually quite reassuring of the game's quality. Obviously he is representing the game and it is his baby in a way but it's not uncommon for other devs to demo their own games with dead eyes and lack of confidence.

I believe in Jake.

derFeef

If I learned one thing from Dark Souls, it is that failure makes you get better. Add I do love roguelikes.

Jake's enthusiasm for the game is actually quite reassuring of the game's quality. Obviously he is representing the game and it is his baby in a way but it's not uncommon for other devs to demo their own games with dead eyes and lack of confidence.

I believe in Jake.

This. The first reveal video/interview on gameinformer got me hyped because of him.

KTallguy

Banned
I wonder, I've only seen one daytime mission, and that original vision video had a broad daylight setting. I wonder how many daylight missions there will be.

Jintor

If I learned one thing from Dark Souls, it is that failure makes you get better. Add I do love roguelikes.

Woah, woah, woah. Dark Souls is not a roguelike. Roguelikes involve randomisation. Dark Souls just happens to be punishing.

I wonder, I've only seen one daytime mission, and that original vision video had a broad daylight setting. I wonder how many daylight missions there will be.

Decent amount. Pretty sure it's linked to the world map overworld though.

Favourite mission so far: fighting on top of a skyscraper in Tokyo at sunset. Glorious aesthetic.

Zeliard

I believe in Jake.

Jake Solomon is awesome.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I eyeball it. It works about 90% of the time - the range is pretty large.
Ah, hmm. I was hoping there was some other rangefinding mechanic I'm overlooking.
Hit space bar, check the hit % chance I guess. If chance is zero, then you're out of range, hit Escape and move closer.

Yeah, that, and if you see red alien head icons on the screen, then you have a target in range. It's just that what I want to do is start the turn out of range, then move the minimum distance until I'm just in range so I don't get closer than I have to. Sort of like in Advance Wars where you can press and hold A to see the range of a ranged attack units.

JoeBoy101

Ah, hmm. I was hoping there was some other rangefinding mechanic I'm overlooking.

Correct me if wrong, but range is irrelevant. Given the small scale of maps, range isn't used, but line of sight is the critical mechanic. Pretty sure this was the case with the first XCOM too.

Based on the demo for EU I'd agree that Apoc was more of a departure. The inclusion of real-time really changed how the levels played out. And the mega-city overworld was handled much worse than I expected. I liked Apoc but it had serious issues.

Jintor

Correct me if wrong, but range is irrelevant. Given the small scale of maps, range isn't used, but line of sight is the critical mechanic. Pretty sure this was the case with the first XCOM too.

Gonna have to correct you here - range is pretty important, especially on larger maps (larger alien ships, etc). LOS more frequently comes into play because cover and elevation breaks sight lines, but units do have a limited range (generally around their own personal vision zone)

JoeBoy101

Gonna have to correct you here - range is pretty important, especially on larger maps (larger alien ships, etc). LOS more frequently comes into play because cover and elevation breaks sight lines, but units do have a limited range (generally around their own personal vision zone)

Did the original use range? Or was I just never out of range?

Jintor

Original does not have range, everybody has squad sight.

Jake says something about Ken Levine in this Gamespot video... (1:15:20) - something about Ken being a superfan and us 'maybe soon' seeing how big a fan he is...

I'm honestly scared of doing iron man classic for the LP

the pressure

it's one thing if it's my own pride on the line, but ending an LP in a glorious fireball called earth would really suck

I will never let you live it down if your responsible for earths destruction....

No pressure :)

All of the previews on pod-casts, different sites, and magazines, all seem to really praise and hold this game to a very high regard. Im trying to use that to gauge interest, and it seems to be there in terms of journalist and critics, but im just not sure how the general public will receive this game.

I am really hoping, (assuming it is good) that this type of game can catch on with the public, so that some serious steam is put into the genre, but im just not sure.

Based on what you guys think about the general populations preferences, and the amount of promotion/coverage this game has received, do you think it will do well?

Top Bottom