• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Jintor

On gut feeling? I don't know. Civ is one of the few games out there that I feel breaks boundaries between gamers and the general public, but I don't know if XCOM is...

Zolf

I think it will do well, but I don't know if it can really break through with the console crowd to become a big hit.

Ugh, thanks to Amazon, now I have to choose whether I want to play it at midnight on the 9th or wait until later in the day for the special edition at the same price. I guess I could go to work on Tuesday...

I think it will do well, but I don't know if it can really break through with the console crowd to become a big hit.

Ugh, thanks to Amazon, now I have to choose whether I want to play it at midnight on the 9th or wait until later in the day for the special edition at the same price. I guess I could go to work on Tuesday...

i'll be waiting on my physical CE copy, but I also have the xbox360 version that i'll pick up at midnight so.... :p

I couldn't not support this game twice over...

Mideon

Preordered on 360 which I plan to play and collectors edition on PC which I will play but only if the 360 version is terrible in comparison.

matt05891

Only thing people won't experience is the difficulty modes being broken! So annoying playing on higher difficulty and it reverting to beginner. Beginner to a new player back then was hell though, made it much more nostalgic because of that. Classic Iron Man for me! That really will be the way to play and I'd recommend that mode to even complete new people. Even if they only play classic I view it as a homage to Xcom.

I played through the entire demo on my laptop with FRAPS on to test how it runs. I can confidently say that this game runs great even on toasters. Hooray for Unreal Engine 3. Um, not hooray that I can be addicted to XCOM anywhere I can take my laptop.

My laptop can be found here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39995851&postcount=4485

With this configuration, I was able to use the native 1920x1080 resolution and set everything to High, including Ambient Occlusion. I was running comfortably at 30-35 fps throughout the demo with a couple drops to 25 fps during in-engine cutscenes, which seems more than adequate for a turn-based strategy game. The GPU in my laptop is pretty modest by gaming standards, so if it can max this game out in native resolution, laptops with much weaker GPUs should easily run it with lower settings.

Speaking of the demo itself: Is the difficulty locked at Easy for the demo, or is it because the demo mission is scripted? I don't mean the tutorial mission, that's obviously scripted. But the second mission I had a couple of shots which had 52% chance to hit and they landed and instantly killed the aliens.

GeoGonzo

The game looks fantastic, and Jake Solomon sounds like the best kind of lead developer... but the console version is going to bomb (PC probably doing okay). I hope I'm wrong.

Void

Banned
I'm quite broke but hunkered down and bought the thing on GMG with that 25% off voucher. They also announced GMG customers will be getting free Civ 5, so it was a great deal for 27€.

Can't wait. Haven't played an X-Com game in like 10 years. Would be cool if we'd get a Terror from the Deep remake at some point down the line.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If any 2k guys are reading this, I'm fixing to give you an awesome Halloween update.

Ready for this? Who would be awesome for fighting aliens?
hGwSP.jpg

Monster Squad

Hindle

Banned
I'm thinking this is going to be the Halo for console stratgety games, it will be a success and lead to more games like it.

Gorgon

I played through the entire demo on my laptop with FRAPS on to test how it runs. I can confidently say that this game runs great even on toasters. Hooray for Unreal Engine 3. Um, not hooray that I can be addicted to XCOM anywhere I can take my laptop.

My laptop can be found here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39995851&postcount=4485

With this configuration, I was able to use the native 1920x1080 resolution and set everything to High, including Ambient Occlusion. I was running comfortably at 30-35 fps throughout the demo with a couple drops to 25 fps during in-engine cutscenes, which seems more than adequate for a turn-based strategy game. The GPU in my laptop is pretty modest by gaming standards, so if it can max this game out in native resolution, laptops with much weaker GPUs should easily run it with lower settings.

I can confirm this. I played the demo on a 5+ years old PC I assembled in early 2007. Played at 1080p native with almost everything set to maximum, including AA: runs like butter.

Grimsen

Great reviews, word of mouth, 360 dashboard exposure and a demo might give the console version some legs, but i fear they won't do very well at launch. :(

Hopefully I'm wrong! I'm getting it on 360. Maybe other x-com fans are doing the same.

I can confirm this. I played the demo on a 5+ years old PC I assembled in early 2007. Played at 1080p native with almost everything set to maximum, including AA: runs like butter.
I dont get it, it runs like shit on my PC , which is decent -

4100 3.6 Quad core processor
8 gb RAM
4gb Radeon 6670

Game runs like 10 fps, i can tfigure it out! I was going to get it on PC, ubt i switched over to xbox. Anyone have any idea what may be the issue?

legbone

i'm getting it on 360 also. unfortunately i am the only person i know (irl) that is buying it. it really could use some exposure like you said.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So ... anyone grabbing the game on PS3?

Help me GAF.

I never played any of the originals a tall. My college football team is off this weekend and the wife is going to be out. Basically, I will have tomorrow night and all weekend to try to get something productive in- and I have decided I would like to play the best of the old XCOM games before throwing myself relentlessly (classic ironman oh yeah!) at this one.

From what I gather, I should just go straight for UFO Defense until Tuesday, correct?

Fersis, yes. I will be on the PS3 :)

Jintor

I hope the PS3 version is good ya'll. I haven't seen hide nor hair of it at all.

Playstation magazine probably has though.

Porkwing, that's right - check out UFO Defence!

Mupod

I'm thinking this is going to be the Halo for console stratgety games, it will be a success and lead to more games like it.

This generation has gone on so long it's hard to remember when turn based SRPGs were actually quite popular on consoles, rather than just handhelds or whatever. Disgaea selling out all over the place based on nothing but word of mouth comes to mind.

XCOM is obviously a very different game but yeah, feels like there's a misconception that console gamers are completely hostile to anything that isn't actiony shootbang and I'm hoping XCOM can turn that around. I'm a little worried about the PS3 version since as far as I know they have not shown that at all. But I mean, UE3 is not exactly known for terrible porting issues, right?

Either way it's selling pretty well on steam ever since the Civ 5 preorder bonus got unlocked, at least based on the top sellers list.

Top Bottom