• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I really really really want to see the multiplayer blowup and become somekind of #esports.
It would be awesome.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I really really really want to see the multiplayer blowup and become somekind of #esports.
It would be awesome.

You know what, it would be hype as hell considering the MP-matches I've seen between devs, however given the game's turnbased nature I think that pretty much prevents it from ever becoming big in esports.... but hey you never know.

Also that trailer, let's do this! The 3 days between most of (Us)Gaf getting the game and the rest of (peasant)gaf getting it are going to be dreadful... Maybe I'll just request a 3-day ban :I

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well according to that trailer Game Informer gave it a 9.5. That's a good sign for getting the game noticed by the drooling masses who actually read Game Informer.

Corky

Well according to that trailer Game Informer gave it a 9.5. That's a good sign for getting the game noticed by the drooling masses who actually read Game Informer.

I thought the same, then again they just gave RE6 ~8-9 or something so there's that.

Jintor

I honestly really hope they patch in hotseat/asynchronus. Jake always sounds so nonplussed when asked about it, I know they put a lot of focus on the time limit but it's so strange they'd just skip right over it in gameplay consideration.

Hindle

Banned
It seems like you could get overpowered in the later stages of the game, hopefully they will balance it out.

Sinatar

I thought the same, then again they just gave RE6 ~8-9 or something so there's that.

I'm not implying that I like Game Informer or give a rats ass what kind of reviews they give, but there are a *lot* of blubbering morons who read that crap and might take notice of X-COM. This game needs to be successful if unimaginative follow the leader publishers are ever going to make more reasonably budgeted strategy games.

Corky

I need to choose between this and Dishonored, at least for now. I am leaning towards this.

Do what I did, buy X-com, and then buy Dishonored at a later date unless it turns out to be a catastrophe ( which I certainly don't hope it is )

Review embargo ends on Monday, 05:00 AM Pacific time.

Oh, day before ey? Well, at least I can keep myself sane by reading them.

It seems like you could get overpowered in the later stages of the game, hopefully they will balance it out.

Your first error was assuming you'll make it to endgame ;].

edit :

I'm not implying that I like Game Informer or give a rats ass what kind of reviews they give, but there are a *lot* of blubbering morons who read that crap and might take notice of X-COM. This game needs to be successful if unimaginative follow the leader publishers are ever going to make more reasonably budgeted strategy games.

Oh I wholeheartedly agree, the more exposure this game gets the better.

Woo-Fu

Banned

You're supposed to get overpowered in the later stages of the game. The challenge at that point is that regardless of how strong your guys are they can't be everywhere at once.

I'm going on the original here. Even when you're overpowered it only takes one blaster bomb to ruin your day.

garath

Do what I did, buy X-com, and then buy Dishonored at a later date unless it turns out to be a catastrophe ( with I certainly don't hope it is )

That's what I'm doing. Support the publisher who still releases $50 PC games. Support the dev that took a chance on a turn based strategy game.

Buy Dishonored first Steam sale. :)

Derrick01

Banned

It's very rare for them to give a hyped AAA game less than 8. Hell it's rare for them to give any game less than 8 really. Every month they give everything a 7-10 with maybe 1 terrible game getting a 6 or lower just to stand out.

I need to choose between this and Dishonored, at least for now. I am leaning towards this.

Dishonored!

Sinatar

X-COM has always had an inverted difficulty curve. You are eventually supposed to reach a point where you are pushing back against the aliens and eventually taking the fight to their front door.

I see, thats encouraging to know.

Also can anyone confirm if we've seen all the alien types yet?
A guy made a demo editor which showed all nearly all of the aliens. I didn't look at them personally though, as I'd rather not know. In the last video I watched I recall them saying 14 or so different alien types? I could have misheard...

I honestly really hope they patch in hotseat/asynchronus. Jake always sounds so nonplussed when asked about it, I know they put a lot of focus on the time limit but it's so strange they'd just skip right over it in gameplay consideration.

Honestly, given the shitty way Firaxis has treated Civ V multiplayer, I don't see them doing this.

RIP Pit boss server :(

Mupod

I see, thats encouraging to know.

Also can anyone confirm if we've seen all the alien types yet?

From what I understand most if not all of them can be seen in the modded demo. Which I refuse to look at because I want at least SOME surprises. I believe Garth said there were over 14 alien types, which might be kinda disappointing since in trailers/previews we've seen what 12 or 13 counting things like sectoid commanders as different types.
I know we can expect Ethereals, I'd like to see Reapers too since they were the source of my greatest 'WTF IS THAT THING' moment in the original.

Also on the subject of the modded demo it was funny seeing Jake's reaction to that in a recent video. He got asked about mod support for the 500th time and instead of his usual line about 'we want to do it, but can't say anything yet' he mentioned all the crazy shit people had managed to do just with the demo.

Help me GAF.

I never played any of the originals a tall. My college football team is off this weekend and the wife is going to be out. Basically, I will have tomorrow night and all weekend to try to get something productive in- and I have decided I would like to play the best of the old XCOM games before throwing myself relentlessly (classic ironman oh yeah!) at this one.

You should mess around with the original game. Lose some battles, research some guns, watch as your funding levels dip and Australia signs a pact with the aliens. The only jarring bits come via the ancient and clunky UI, and the lack of a 'real-time' button when no aliens are around.

Klyka

Banned
Today at 8AM PDT, we’re pitting 2K Senior Community Manager Greg Laabs against Firaxis's Pete Murray for a multiplayer battle of wits throw-down in XCOM: Enemy Unknown’s multiplayer mode, live on twitch.tv/2k. Join the event to get the reminder!

So I guess that's in 45 minutes?

I'm so hyped for X-Com that I download and am playing xenowar on my phone.

It's not very good, I should probably just get the DOS originals heh.

Ponti

Kind of surprised that this 2 soldier setup on the MP stream is actually working so well. Archangel Plasma Snipers man...

Corky

Kind of surprised that this 2 soldier setup on the MP stream is actually working so well. Archangel Plasma Snipers man...

I'm rooting for that 1 floater. His sniper is running out of fuel..

edit : lol just as I said that...

Mupod

Can't watch that until I'm at home later, but yeah squad sight sniper + floater spotting seems pretty deadly in MP. I especially liked the idea of combining it with a sectoid doing Mind Meld from a safe location.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I hope theres nature based maps, like crop fields and what not.

EDIT: You can hear your opponent breaking windows! Nice!

Torraz

Stream is pretty cool. I've never played an x-com game. It kinda gives a bit me a frozen synapse~y vibe.

I just noticed I have X-com: apocalpyse, enforcer, interceptor, terror from the deep and ufo defense in my steam list from some bundle.

Which would be the best for a total beginner?

Bigfoot

Stream is pretty cool. I've never played an x-com game. It kinda gives a bit me a frozen synapse~y vibe.

I just noticed I have X-com: apocalpyse, enforcer, interceptor, terror from the deep and ufo defense in my steam list from some bundle.

Which would be the best for a total beginner?

Start with (and only play) UFO Defense. If you really love it, Terror from the Deep is more like an add-on than a true sequel but the missions take twice as long and it is harder. The rest can be skipped since they never repeated the magic of the original. At least until now? I think everyone is hoping that this new game is the true sequel to UFO Defense. That is what I want at least. Well that, and an HD port of the original for iOS. :)

Top Bottom