• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm at the part where I need to make the skeleton key to infiltrate an alien base, but I don't have the required materials for it. I've done like 5 mission since then and still don't have what I need!

All the while I don't seem to have the resources to keep up with all of the alien attacks, so while I'm doing just fine in every skirmish, panic levels are rising and I'm starting to lose nations.

Is there any way I can directly affect a nation's panic level, or do I just have to wait and hope a mission pops up in their territory?

kurahador

Anyone? *cries*

Yes...you have to research the Arc **something**, buy it and put it in the item slot.

Make sure you lower the enemy health into 3 bars first.

Yeah its random.

SERIOUSLY??? urghhh...I only have 2 assault class right now, one which I got by doing the random abduction mission. :/

Oh yeah, another thing. Can I capture chrysalid and the robotic aliens?
If yes, what's the benefit?

Protein

Banned
Which reminds me how I haven't even researched that thing and I'm already in mid-late game. I need to start tazing the shit out of guys.

Raxus

Yes...you have to research the Arc **something**, buy it and put it in the item slot.

Make sure you lower the enemy health into 3 bars first.
Thanks, I am getting paranoid about the game now since the save system is so stiff and I wanna get that one man on all missions achievement.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Its the same composer as Deus Ex: HR. Honestly I wonder if he just had some of the rough cuts from that laying around and just threw them at Firaxis.

I knew it! I kept thinking about looking that up, because some of the songs sound straight out of Deus Ex HR. Not that I'm complaining. They sound great and fit X-Com pretty well.

Protein

Banned
The SHIV is the tits. It's absolutely amazing on Terror Missions. You can just zoom around the map and bop civilians into safety. Chrysalid AI will usually bug out causing them to overlook it and it seems like 1/4 chance in my experience that they'll attack your SHIV. Ranged units seemed to dog pile it though so proceed with caution still.

Protein

Banned
Defused a bomb and about 6 or so thin men spawn around my men.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=102795735

Gotta be fucking kidding me.

I usually Overwatch spam on those ridiculous council missions because units seem to teleport in out of nowhere.

This game has some awesome moments. A Berserker jumps out of nowhere scaring the Bejesus out of me and all 6 of my squad opens-the-fuck-up on it with overwatch. Mission Complete with a boss finish.

I'm end game leveling up my psi powers before the final mission, and somehow I get a council mission, and it's a repeat of the Anna Sing rescue op from the beginning of the game. The enemies, the map, all the same. Bizarre. Those 4 health thin men couldn't do much to my late game squad.

kurahador

I usually Overwatch spam on those ridiculous council missions because units seem to teleport in out of nowhere.

I love it when the aliens triggered my soldiers Overwatch.
sogood.gif

Oh yeah, I thought the Chief Engineer voice sounds familiar.
He's the guy from Lost isn't it?

DrBo42

Made it out with no deaths. Fucking triggers like that are the worst part of this game. Firaxis, don't pull that shit in the next one.

Jintor

They're okay if you're prepared for them. They can fuck you royale the first time round though.

Also bad: teleporting enemy patrols. Haven't run into this one myself, though.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I just don't do the bomb mission.

anybody who has lost knows we can't trust those fuckers on the council anyhow.

TTG

The SHIV is the tits. It's absolutely amazing on Terror Missions. You can just zoom around the map and bop civilians into safety. Chrysalid AI will usually bug out causing them to overlook it and it seems like 1/4 chance in my experience that they'll attack your SHIV. Ranged units seemed to dog pile it though so proceed with caution still.

That's what the foundry is for, as far as I'm concerned. SHIVs and medkit upgrades. :) The plasma upgrade on the shiv makes him VERY formidable.

That's what the foundry is for, as far as I'm concerned. SHIVs and medkit upgrades. :) The plasma upgrade on the shiv makes him VERY formidable.
I've fully upgraded my SHIVs but I haven't used one yet. My squad must have two snipers and a medic. Then there's my ghost support (which can zip around faster than the SHIV while cloaked, to boot). I can never find an open slot for the SHIV. =[

Berserker comes around the corner of the Bar & Grill and sees my Archangel sniper. Quickly coming to terms with his fate, he rams into a nearby truck and hugs the side of it until it explodes.

I'm liking this multiplayer.

Salsa

it's funny how im avoiding the use of quick loads yet I didnt wanna go with an Ironman run for the first playthrough..

also classic so far feels just right. Normal must be a bit boring

Beaulieu

complete my normal walkthrough, yay.
classic ironman next !

or maybe I'll play around with the multiplayer... the only time I tried it said I wasnt playing the good version of the build... which is ridiculous as I'm playing on xbox and afaik there hasnt been a patch yet.

Aaron

I'm hoping this game gets a balance patch for the more stupid and unfair elements. Like chain panics where half your squad loses their shit and shoots each other. Or me moving to a car as cover where an alien snap shots, hits the car, and the car explodes right at the start of my next turn before I can move away. At least give me a chance to do something. I also really don't like how some shots had hit through very solid cover, or your guys can miss with an effin' shotgun at point blank range. I don't expect this game to be realistic, but I think it tends to skew a little too close to the original.

FStop7

Banned
Just had my first crash.

Was on a terror mission. It also happened to be the first appearance of the Berserker. They took out one of my Colonels and made a Major panic.

I was in the middle of my turn, setting up shots to kill the remaining Berserker before it could do any more damage to my squad. Then all of a sudden it started moving around again and attacking my troops even though it was my turn. And then the game stopped responding to all keyboard and mouse inputs and I had to kill it from the desktop.

Bleh.

no, normal gets to be tough. the people who decided to restart on classic just didn't go far enough in

And then it gets easy again towards the end. I still think it's good for a first playthrough, and am excited for a Classic Ironman run 30 hours into the game.

Salsa

only thing I "regret" about starting on classic is that it'd be nice to have more incentive for a second playthrough, and there's no way im going with impossible for that

.. I think

then i must not have reached the "easier" threshold, because most of the missions are challenging

well im barely in on classic and im not saying it's not challenging. Im losing one rookie per mission most of the times, and just now I left the game on a "very hard" one where I already lost 3 of my troops, one of them having been with me since the beggining of the game. I can see how it could be a bit easier on normal and avoid having some of this stuff happen to me but ehhhhh that's just xcom being xcom

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
then i must not have reached the "easier" threshold, because most of the missions are challenging

The tipping point is somewhere around when you get
Titan Armor, plasma weapons, and Psi training
or some combination thereof. Story-wise that point should come a little after
you assault the alien base.

Once you're rolling with that sort of kit the actual missions cease to be much of a threat. At that point you're also likely sitting on pretty solid satellite coverage, so the possibility of losing starts to fade into the dark recesses of your memory.

TTG

also classic so far feels just right. Normal must be a bit boring

It is, except for if you're new to the game. I was doing fine on classic, until in the span of a week(game time) I found out that I completely fucked up my geoscape stuff. You can dig yourself out of a hole like that on normal, I don't know about classic.

Classic monthly grades went like this: A, B, D. Didn't bother waiting for the next grade because I had to skip missions, I was operating at a loss and I didn't have a well enough back up team for when my guys got injured.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
I'm hoping this game gets a balance patch for the more stupid and unfair elements. Like chain panics where half your squad loses their shit and shoots each other. Or me moving to a car as cover where an alien snap shots, hits the car, and the car explodes right at the start of my next turn before I can move away. At least give me a chance to do something. I also really don't like how some shots had hit through very solid cover, or your guys can miss with an effin' shotgun at point blank range. I don't expect this game to be realistic, but I think it tends to skew a little too close to the original.

Not to pick on you, but nothing you mentioned is similar to situations and bad shit that could happen in the original, especially not the way panic (or morale loss) is represented in the new XCOM.

Top Bottom