• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Victrix

*beard*
how long can you avoid doing the
Priority missions that progress the game plot and increase difficulty? I am so pissed that i rushed and f myself really bad on normal ironman with the alien base. difficulty progression through plot missions is the shittiest shit ever

As long as you want, but the aliens will still ramp up. Only the very last type of alien remains gated behind story missions, you'll still face really lethal stuff if you delay long enough.

Also that mission will have whatever the latest toughest stuff you are facing.

If you have Carapace + Lasers and a decent vet squad, you're probably ready for it. If not, tech up a bit.

doomquake

but it seems if you lose the base assault you will be boned for the rest of the game. i went in with some rookies since other dudes were recovering...BAD IDEA

fanboi

Banned
Playing Classic Ironman... And this time Its going veeery good.

Have two majors, 4 satelites and Nobel have left The council.

A two months running.

Anyone finished classic Ironman?

Nocebo

Playing Classic Ironman... And this time Its going veeery good.

Have two majors, 4 satelites and Nobel have left The council.

A two months running.

Anyone finished classic Ironman?
Almost, I'm at the point of no return in the game. I got a wipe on the last mission once but it allows you to restart. I didn't try a second run yet though. I think I can manage with my current team, though some aren't as ranked up as I would like, if I can deal with the sectopods swiftly.

One of my biggest gripes with the game, is that enemies don't roam around as much as I'd like. For instance I'm pretty sure there are certain rooms where there will never be an alien and rooms where there were always be one. The alliens inside the ufo never leave their room either. So I just always dash up to the door to the room containing the alien with everyone without worrying about anything getting the jump on me. Kinda takes the suspense away.

Victrix

*beard*
It feels like the alien spawning/roaming system was something of a compromise. I suspect they went through multiple iterations of having your dudes shot from the darkness and ultimately decided it didn't work well, for whatever reason.

You can still screw yourself royally if you do LOS reveals on your last moves, learning to use one scout as your first move (and/or abusing ghost and battle scanner later in the game) is a good part of getting over the difficulty hump.

I do wish Overwatch triggered instantly though, I could do without seeing/hearing another Overwatch VROOMP and 2 second delay ever again the next time I play this. You waste so much time leapfrogging your troops because there's no other safe way to do it (again, until you have ways of safely revealing los late in the game).

That would be pretty cool
as DLC lol
I hope modding takes off for this game it could easily be done that way. There is such a good framework here that I want fleshed out with TES/Fallout levels of modded content.

Does it prevent you from getting achievements?
Yes, you get a prompt to this exact effect asking if you want to continue without them when you put their names in.

Jintor

I'm pondering whether or not to install the increased UFOs that are created to trigger terror missions/abduction missions or not mod for the LP

face it, it's way more interesting that way

demidar

A lot of my easy rapid shots keep missing one or even two shots lately. Makes me paranoid about how bad the pseudo-random distribution is.

More UFOs to shoot down would be nice, but that would require more balancing as you'll be getting more resources.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Been a long while since I played a game this much over the span of a couple of days. Can't wait to see all the cool mods, seems like xcom is the perfect candidate for it. Love it so much.

web01

Played the first missions today that I felt was completely unfair on normal ironman.

Level was a tiny construction site with a small 2 tile entry and basically no cover around the entrance except for a backhoe. Mutons spawn instantly, as the level is so small every time I move trying to flank I trigger more Mutons until I am surrounded and flanked from every direction.

In the end I retreat saving two of my soldiers which was a consolation. The rest of my soldiers were 1 shot by critical hits or charged to death.

KKRT00

You know that snipers are OP when:

in final 'battle', You kill Ethereal with 3 shots without AI can even start any movement, and killing him ends game :p

Double tap, plasma rifle + scope and squad sight is too op.

===
Hyperwave beacon online, and I shot down that thing it spotted.

How close am I to the end of the game?
Few hours.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
A lot of my easy rapid shots keep missing one or even two shots lately. Makes me paranoid about how bad the pseudo-random distribution is.

More UFOs to shoot down would be nice, but that would require more balancing as you'll be getting more resources.

When I first saw speculation that the game's reported hit percentages might not be accurate I recorded the game's stated to-hit percentages along with whether or not my shots actually hit for about 60 attacks and found that the mean of the game's stated accuracy and the mean of my actual accuracy were statistically identical. It's a pretty back-of-the-envelope calculation, but it was enough to satisfy me, especially when the mean of the stated accuracy and mean of the observed accuracy were converging as the sample size increased.

That's kind of cold comfort when a round of terrible shooting ends in tragedy for your hapless peons, I know.

in final 'battle', You kill Ethereal with 3 shots without AI can even start any movement, and killing him ends game :p

The whole final mission is poorly designed. They send enemies at you three at a time and then telegraph where the final boss is, making it easy to set things up so you can handle that final room easily. You don't need snipers to kill him easily, a psi wave (or whatever the 4th psi ability is called) kills off the mutons, then anyone can rush in and shoot him.

The whole final mission is poorly designed. They send enemies at you three at a time and then telegraph where the final boss is, making it easy to set things up so you can handle that final room easily. You don't need snipers to kill him easily, a psi wave kills off the mutons, then anyone can rush in and shoot him.

The final level is designed very well.

But the main problem with the final level is that it's a Story Level, when the story is shit.

TTG

i want all the resources anyway

I'm all out of weapon fragments, there has been a shortage for a while. All I have to research is a laser pistol(unless something story wise comes up), but still. Same thing with ellerium, I don't get to try a couple of the really late game armor types until I get some more. On the other hand, I just shot a large UFO down.

Seeing how I'm nearing towards the end, I took a look at the achievements... holy crap. I don't go out of my way to get these in general, but this one looks like a lot of work. Win from every continent, win on impossible, win on ironman and classic/impossible.

The final level is designed very well.

But the main problem with the final level is that it's a Story Level, when the story is shit.

No one cares about the story in this game, the final level is poorly designed from a gameplay perspective, which is the only thing that matters. I suppose the design gives them an excuse for a bunch of exposition and voice over, but that doesn't make for a compelling final mission.

TTG

Played the first missions today that I felt was completely unfair on normal ironman.

Level was a tiny construction site with a small 2 tile entry and basically no cover around the entrance except for a backhoe. Mutons spawn instantly, as the level is so small every time I move trying to flank I trigger more Mutons until I am surrounded and flanked from every direction.

In the end I retreat saving two of my soldiers which was a consolation. The rest of my soldiers were 1 shot by critical hits or charged to death.

Yea, I remember that map. I ended up losing 1 guy on classic. It's the tiniest map I've come across, by a wide margin.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
Well just lost 2 full squads of 4 on Classic Ironman. First squad was lost when 2 support units got panicked by a Muton grenade and decided to shoot each other as well as wipe each others cover away and have the 2 other proceeding Muton's pick them off. The heavy was previously poisoned and so my supports couldn't get to him in time and so he held out as long as he could. My Lt. Sniper was hit my a grenade while behind a 4WD that exploded, so that all went to hell in 2 turns.

2nd squad was on a Bombing running and managed to disarm it before 6 Thin Men spawned and poisoned and crit my Support and Sniper. The other support as usual decided to panic and hunker down only to eat a plasma rifle in the face. The heavy thankfully RPG'd 3 cossy Thin Men and then got hunted down by the 3 other, he did so well! :(

Looks like I'll have to restart again, lost all 8 veterans! XCOM! :d

You have strange standards for judging level design. You seem to think that the gameplay and story are both poor, yet the "final level is designed very well."

When did I say the gameplay was poor? I thought the gameplay was very addictive.

The level was designed very well. The level design.

demidar

When I first saw speculation that the game's reported hit percentages might not be accurate I recorded the game's stated to-hit percentages along with whether or not my shots actually hit for about 60 attacks and found that the mean of the game's stated accuracy and the mean of my actual accuracy were statistically identical. It's a pretty back-of-the-envelope calculation, but it was enough to satisfy me, especially when the mean of the stated accuracy and mean of the observed accuracy were converging as the sample size increased.

That's kind of cold comfort when a round of terrible shooting ends in tragedy for your hapless peons, I know.

I recorded what my attack rolls were in NWN2 since the game actually display your d20 roll, and I split them 50-50 from 1-10 and 11-20. After around 50 attacks I got 30% chance for 11-20 and 70% chance for 1-10. Not the most stringent test but I don't care enough anymore to test it again.

Maiger

I'm finally able to play this game! That was a painful weekend watching everyone else having fun and getting their soldiers murdered. Still, can't spend too much time with this because other stuff needs to be done..

Copenap

I just heard there's going to be a 1:1 XCom remake as payed dlc, what's that about? Any info? Because that sounds almost to good to be true.

kurahador

Is there any way to reduce panic level when you don't have satellites?
How much satellites does one uplink supports?
When will a country decides to pull out from XCOM?

Mupod

If snipers are OP, then what about my assault who did it in one rapid fire?

The real final boss is that Sectopod duo. Not looking forward to that on classic.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Just tried the demo and my PS3 froze, had to hard reset it. Now I'm worried about buying the full version. Is this a known problem or was it just bad luck?

Top Bottom